Lunch at Costco: Chicken Bake, Churros, and Hot Dogs

April 29th, 2008 · 40 Comments

Twice in recent weeks Dave and I have been waiting around for Costco to fill prescriptions at lunchtime. So, instead of wasting this time we were doing hard research for all of you. Ok, maybe it was just eating lunch, but you will all benefit from our time at the Costco food court.

The first day we tried what must be the best lunch deal anywhere in the U.S., the $1.50 hot dog or polish sausage and a large, re-fillable drink. And, this is one of the large dogs, not one of those little teeny ones you’d give your kids; it actually hangs over the edges of the hot dog bun. Both of us chose the polish sausage because they are just delicious. In any case, you get your sausage/hot dog and a cup for your drink almost instantly. This couldn’t be faster food. Then you can put on your own condiments, your choice of yellow mustard, deli mustard, ketchup, relish and onions. The onions are in this cool little crank device where you cut your onion and it comes out and plops on your sausage or hot dog. With your sausage/hot dog dressed up the way you like it you are free to choose your beverage or make a ‘suicide’ like you did when you were a kid. The cup for your drink is large and re-fillable. This is really a spectacular deal. And, maybe surprising to some of you, it is both delicious and quite filling too.

Costco Chicken BakeThe next time, just a few days later, we tried the chicken bake. At $2.75 it is also a remarkably good deal. I can hear some of you saying, ‘what the heck is a chicken bake?’ Well, it isn’t a casserole dish that your mom might have made in the 70’s, even though that is what the name sounds like to me. A chicken bake is sort of similar to a calzone or a hot pocket, only bigger. It’s a piece of dough wrapped around a mixture of chopped up chicken (probably the rotisserie chicken) and cheese and then baked, thus the name. So, you get this fairly long rectangular chicken and cheese hot pocket with some cheese baked on the top of the dough, and some ranch dressing to dip it in too. It is really pretty tasty and certainly very filling. I know I couldn’t finish mine but Dave managed to polished his off. It might be a good thing to share this one, at least if you’re two people that aren’t completely famished. I wouldn’t even want to speculate as to how many calories are in this though, because I bet it’s enough to make me think a family of four should eat it. In any case, it too is a good, inexpensive, quick lunch that you can grab (don’t think about the calories).

Now, the next item is just, well, a snack or quick sugary treat really. That’s right, the churros. You wouldn’t want to eat just them for lunch; that would be bad and wrong. But mighty delicious. The churros are $1.00 a piece (about 12″ – 14″ long) and definitely worth it. We had this as a sweet follow up to our polish sausages. I mean, really, who doesn’t love a sugar and cinnamon coating on a piece of fried dough? There’s nothing bad to say about it, except that I couldn’t finish all of mine and had to give some of it to Dave. That was a sad moment. I wouldn’t have had so much to drink if I had known fried dough would be coming soon. Oh well, maybe next time we’re at Costco I can sneak off and have a churro. These are delicious and certainly worth the $1.00 price tag.

Without a doubt, Dave and I both agree that the polish sausage is excellent and the churros are super yummy too. The chicken bake, while not our favorite, is good too. The take home lesson here is, the Costco food court is a delicious, cheap place to eat lunch or pass the time waiting for your prescription to be filled. But be sure to bring your cash because the food court doesn’t accept credit cards!

And yes, there’s plenty of time to get there for lunch today….

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 jovanny trejo // 2014.05.02 at 2:43 pm

jess your stupid

2. 2 jovanny trejo // 2014.05.02 at 2:42 pm

it so nasty i don’t know how anybody like its like eww. :/

3. 3 jovanny trejo // 2014.05.02 at 2:41 pm

it so nasty i don’t know how anybody like its like eww.

4. 4 Jess // 2014.03.18 at 7:03 pm

THE CHICKEN BAKE IS AMAZING!!! Delicious… YUM!!!!! ONE GAZILLION TRILLION BILLION MILLION STARS OUT OF FIVE!!!

5. 5 www.google.com // 2014.03.07 at 6:19 am

You already know thus significantly in the case of this matter, produced me in my opinion imagine it from so many various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be interested unless it’s something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs nice. At all times handle it up!

6. 6 Okdokay // 2013.12.11 at 5:14 pm

Chicken bake is awesome! Incredible value at only 2.99$ and they’re about 8″ long… Eating one as we type.

7. 7 Massachusetts // 2013.12.11 at 5:12 pm

If you’re hating on the wonderful Costco chicken bake, go to another Costco… These things are awesome and well worth the 810cals.This is sliced chicken breast mixed with cheese, ceaser dressing and bacon wrapped in a cheesy bread loaf. The reason Mr UK’s sucked is probably because this person doesn’t have good taste or they simply suck overseas. I recommend this to anyone and everyone.

8. 8 British Gent // 2013.09.17 at 2:56 pm

I ate a Costco chicken and bacon bake here in the UK tonight and it was disgusting! Easily one of the worst things I’ve eaten. I searched Google thinking I’d find lots of terrible reviews of it online, but all I can find are posts by Americans talking about how great it is. Honestly, I love you people, but your food tastes are abysmal.

• 9 Anonymous // 2013.10.23 at 5:46 pm

Maybe it is a UK chicken bake problem? But the chicken bakes here are so GOOD!

9. 10 L.Smith // 2013.08.29 at 2:34 pm

all well & good but is there anyway to find out how many cals. etc. I’m a W.W. & do shop a lot @ Costco finding many products to fit this eating program BUT I also like to include my lunch break & they have many fine things to chose from but I don’t want to blow my wks. program altogether on one item Help..

• 11 Tonya // 2013.08.29 at 5:59 pm

I have been maintaining my goal weight on WW for almost ten years. The wonderful blogger of this website has posted all of the Costco food court nutritional information. You can easily find the WW points from the info provided. I am not sure if I can post the link properly, but here is the page:
      If that doesn’t work, simply Google Costco food court nutrition and the addicted to costco web site will appear with the posting of May 13, 2009.

10. 12 Ivett // 2013.02.27 at 10:16 pm

Does anyone know if the Costco at Las Vegas Nevada still have those chicken bakes?

11. 13 Alex // 2012.09.06 at 2:10 pm

They can ring you up at a cash register then go bring them your receipt.

12. 14 Mark // 2012.02.22 at 12:05 pm

The fact that the food court here in Miami ONLY accepts cash, combined with the fact that Costco is the ONLY supermarket without cart wipes, combine to discourage my patronage. It’s a shame they don’t even accept their OWN cash cards as payment “because of the costs” – can I please have the option to pay the 3% extra to not handle filthy dollar bills before dining?!

13. 15 penny // 2012.02.21 at 2:06 am

Thank you sir,nico for the delicious simply recipe churros.