New Glasses with Costco Optical

May 6th, 2008 · 29 Comments

Last night I picked up my new glasses that I purchased from Costco 2 weeks ago (April 20th, to be exact). The process was easy, they had a nice variety of frames, cheap to pricey, and they came in within the 2 to 3 week time frame I was given when ordering them. I love the new glasses! I might even wear them out of the house, I like them so much.

My previous glasses made me feel like I had to wear my contacts every single moment I was awake because I could never really see clearly through the lenses without holding them up (and no, this wasn’t a prescription problem). I had purchased them about 4 years ago from one of the big optical places (you know who you are LensCrafters), and was less than pleased with the finished product. The frame was okay quality wise, but the lenses were somewhere far less than correct. They had messed up the lenses so that the only way I could see accurately was to hold my glasses way up on my nose, basically looking out the bottom of the lens. So, I complained and was told that I probably just needed time to adjust blah blah blah and in the end they would not fix the problem. Oh yeah, and the best part was that these were a $400 pair of glasses. Nice. And the coatings on the lenses started to come off at the edges of the lenses about a year ago. Who doesn’t like an expensive, quality item like that?

Costco Optical glasses and caseIn comparison, my new Costco glasses seem great. The lenses are totally correct, as in, I can actually see out of them and don’t have to do anything strange to actually get that accomplished except open my eyes. There are a variety of price points for the frames from $39 for Kirkland Signature frames to over $150 for designer frames. I had decided that this time I wanted to try the rimless frames because I think they have a very clean look on your face and don’t stand out. Of course, if you like the flashy frames something like red, lime green, or purple, Costco’s got you covered on those too. Unfortunately for me, there is no totally rimless frame option from Kirkland Signature, so all of these frames were priced at $79.99. And that’s a price I find reasonable for a pair of glasses I’m going to have for several years.

Now, on to the lenses.  I’m still young enough, or at least my eyes are, that I do not yet require bi- or tri-focal lenses. So, just the plain old lenses for me. I went with the 1.67 High Index lenses that were $69.99; these are the thinnest, lightest lens material available right now and they come with a scratch resistant coating, as well as a UV coating. I also got the anti-reflective treatment, really a must if you work at a computer or drive at night, for $29.99. So, that’s a big grand total of $99.98 for the lenses. Also, since I have the totally rimless frames you can get the edges of the lens polished for an extra $9.99, which I decided to do because I don’t like the dull edge look.  This was the only thing that I thought was a little bit of an unnecessary fee from Costco, but it was low enough that I didn’t mind paying it.

All together, for the frames and lenses I ended up paying $189.96. This is significantly cheaper than other places I’ve gotten glasses, and they are certainly better quality than my last pair.

When I went to pick up my new specs last night, they would have made any fit adjustments if they had been necessary. Since I didn’t need any though, it was as simple as just walking in, picking them up from the Optical counter and leaving. This is partly due to the fact that you pay for the glasses when you order them, not when you pick them up. They give you a nice case and one of those little lens cleaning cloths, as well as some instructions on how to clean your lenses. All in all, I’m very happy with my purchase from Costco Optical, but we’ll have to see how they hold up over time.

Also, just so you know, if you do need bi-focal lenses, Costco charges $129.98 for the no line bi-focals; which is much lower than I’ve heard they sell them for at Sam’s Club. I’m going to try to get some comparison prices from other optical stores in my area, just to see how Costco’s prices hold up. You can find out a little more about Costco Optical on their website, unfortunately, they don’t have their frames online for you to browse. You can also read more about how Costco Optical stacks up to its competitors in the March 2008 edition of the Costco Connection. And, just so you know Costco does rank number one in a J.D. Power satisfaction survey for in-store optical departments.

Tags: Health & Beauty Share

1. 1 Optical Services Are Necessary For People Who Wear Glasses and Contacts-healthy for living tips // 2014.10.17 at 4:33 pm

[…] New Glasses with Costco Optical | Addicted To Costco! […]

2. 2 geraldine campbell // 2013.05.03 at 3:57 pm

Are the lenses costco uses on their glasses crizal?
    I understand crizal is the finest

3. 3 Scott // 2013.05.01 at 12:52 pm

Hobie sunglasses are great. I got the NAPA at Costco and love them.

4. 4 bj // 2012.02.09 at 10:58 pm

I have never purchased eye glasses from costco, but I am interested. I wear trifocals, progressive, I am very active, ski, bike, work out, and do my own landscaping, so I need strong frames and lenses. but I also want them to look good. can Costco fit the need and still be reasonable?

5. 5 Linda // 2012.02.04 at 1:36 pm

Don’t buy glasses at Costco – you will be sorry. Many people have had cracked lenses repeatedly.

• 6 Katherine // 2013.04.26 at 9:02 pm

Well those people don’t know how to take care of glasses. I have had the same pair of glasses for quite a while and I have not cracked my lens..

6. 7 E. Boke // 2012.01.22 at 3:13 pm

I have purchased several pairs of totally rimless glasses from Costsco in the past.. I am due for an upgrade in my prescription but was informed when shopping for another pair you no longer carry them. Any plans for bring them back? Can I use my old rimless frames and have lenses cut for the new prescription.

• 8 Kimberly // 2012.01.23 at 9:56 am

Yes, for some reason Costco no longer carries the completely frameless glasses. My husband did get new lenses for his old, rimless, frames last year though. Of course, that does mean that you need to leave the frames with Costco and will be without them for the couple of weeks that it takes them to get your new lenses made.

7. 9 Craig Bruner // 2011.09.05 at 2:40 pm

I had a great experience at costco optical too: I dropped in unexpectadly and asked when I could get an eye exam. Luckily, someone didn’t show and they slipped me in. I took the contact exam ($75) because I had lasic 10 years ago and they left one eye nearsighted (monovision). In a short time, Dr. Green had me testing a single soft contact to see if I liked it. He also gave me a perscription for glasses for when I’m ready to buy. I need bifocals (no-line) and to my surprise, a prizm. This solved my double vision that I’ve had since my lasic. He gave me two packs of 5 soft contacts included in the price and I’m tickled pink. I bought some reading glasses and non-perscription sunglasses for when I’m wearing the contact and will return to order my regular glasses. Incidently, I got too strong of reading glasses and they exchanged them on the spot.
    I’m a satisfied customer!

8. 10 Pat Richmond // 2011.03.16 at 4:39 pm

5885 Barnes Rd, Colo Springs, CO Dr. Joseph Hartman is an outstanding physician. I can’t say enough good about him. He is so patient and caring and does an outstanding job at trying to please his patients no matter how difficult the prescription is. He is up to the challenge. I have astigmatisms’ in both eyes and also require bifocals. But I was set on having contacts. Not an easy assignment. But Dr. Hartman never gave up on getting the right fit for me. He also has a wonderful personality and is very easy to talk to and shows he is really concerned about getting you the exact fit. I highly recommend him for you long term eye doctor.

9. 11 Terri // 2011.01.09 at 5:13 pm

I am so happy to have finally found a place with current pricing for Costco optical. I am on a very low disability income and have been putting of getting new glasses that I badly need. The costs are frightening and even coupons and discounts are really not helpful since you are restricted to buying the higher priced frames. I have progressive lenses now and was about to go with regular bifocals and forego any coating just so I can finally see again. It’s amazing how the cost adds up and actually varies from place to place. Thank you for the great information.

10. 12 Mariann // 2011.01.07 at 5:58 pm

I am glad I found this site because I am currently in the market for new regular glasses and RX sunglasses. I get my eyes examined by my opthomologist and he is always pushing the Veralux lenses he sells. For my rx, which inlude no line bifocals, the lenses alone cost $375 for the “Standard Physio” and $405 for the “Enhanced Physio Standard” with an additional $60 for basic coating, $125 for a little better coating, and $160 for the “sapphire” coating, which I was told is good if you have trouble with night-time driving (which I do). The “360 Technology” lenses cost $525 but come with the AR coating only already on them. By the time I buy frames, 2 pair of glasses will be over $1,000!! I checked with my insurance company today and I am covered with certain providers, but of course my doctor does not take it, nor does Costco. I went to Costco yesterday and was quoted $160 for hi-index progressives with scratchguard, UV 400 and antiglare coating, and $160 for polarized lenses. I also found some cute frames but very limited selection. One pair, which I would use for sunglasses was only $45, and the other pair was a Via Spiga for $139.99. I didn’t even flinch at that price considering the cost of the lenses through my eyedoctor. I have gotten glasses through Sears and LensCrafters before without issue, but my current pair of glasses which I got from LenseCrafters have not held up as well, especially the lenses. I can barely see out of them because they are so scratched and the coating is coming off. I do wear them every day as contact lenses tend to bother my eyes.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there knows if the statement that “you get what you pay for” holds true for eye glass lenses. Will I really see a difference paying over $1,000 vs about $500 + for 2 pair of glasses? Is the Veralux technology really that much superior to the Seiko lense that Costco uses? I don’t really see myself ordering glasses online and I hesitate to go back to LensCrafters. I could try Pearle Vision as they take my insurance, but my past experience with them is that they are super expensive, even with insurance.

Hope someone can help.

• 13 Chuck Church // 2014.04.15 at 5:55 pm

You have to get new glasses every two or three years anyway as your eyes change. No sense in paying 1K for them. Doesn’t make any sense

11. 14 Nikki // 2011.01.05 at 12:25 pm

Do you know if they take insurance?

• 15 Kimberly // 2011.01.06 at 6:05 am

@Nikki – I really am not sure if the optical department takes insurance or not. I’ve never had real vision insurance so I’ve not paid attention to it, unfortunately. My guess is that they don’t, but since I’m not sure I’d suggest you call the optical department at your warehouse location. I’m impressed that you have vision insurance….so jealous! :-)

12. 16 Deb // 2010.11.02 at 6:04 am

I get so many compliments on my glasses from costco!!

13. 17 J // 2010.10.10 at 12:53 am

Thanks so much for the feedback, Kimberly! My glasses are nicely fixed up, they had a pair of the same frames (luckily!) they didn’t even ask any questions and it was done on the spot!

14. 18 J // 2010.10.05 at 10:43 pm

Hi, I also had a great experience w costco optical, but I’m not a member – instead I had my Aunt and I was let in with her to use ther vision center. Well, I just got my glasses in September, but the left nose petal (even the metal part, so I don’t think it can get fixed) just broke off. Anyone know if they’d do a free replacement? Also, anyone know if I would be able to get in with just my recipt for the glasses w/o a member and if I would have to go back to the exact same locatioin that I went to get the original pair? b/c it’s a bit far from where I live.

• 19 Kimberly // 2010.10.06 at 3:26 am

@J, I believe that you would have no problem getting Costco to replace your broken glasses, especially since you just got them in September. If you have the receipt and explain the situation, you should be able to get in to the store to talk to the Optical people and not have a problem getting them to do the replacement since the receipt has a membership number on it. Costco is also very good, in general, about accepting returns at any of their stores no matter which Costco you actually made the original purchase at, so I would think the Optical department would be the same. Also, since they send the glasses out to a central location to have them made or repaired, I don’t think there should be a problem. But don’t forget to take another pair with you (yes, I have actually done this once when I had a problem with glasses from someplace else) to wear home!

15. 20 Kelly // 2010.09.09 at 10:15 am

I know this is an older post, but I am so glad I found it! Thanks for giving prices, my son needs new glasses and found frames he LOVES at Costco. The lady working there was very busy so we didn’t wait to ask about prices for lenses. I will go back tomorrow to order them for him, knowing a general pricing now, and knowing the quality. THANKS!

16. 21 Karen // 2010.06.29 at 7:01 pm

Costco definately beats most optical places for prescription lenses and frames, but their transition lenses are not great. I live in AZ and apparently above 99 degrees they turn just a light grey, not black like sunglasses should. I wasn’t told this when I purchased them so I hope I will get a refund.

17. 22 Leah // 2010.06.21 at 8:24 pm

Will Costco sell prescription sunglasses?

• 23 Kimberly // 2010.06.22 at 3:01 am

Leah, Costco does sell prescription sunglasses. They also sell regular glasses with the Transitions lenses & they look just like sunglasses when you are out in the sun. Plus, they are way better at switching between tinted and not tinted than they used to be.

Costco doesn’t do the actual eye exams, those are carried out by an independent Doctor of Optometry. To read more about this and their relationship with Costco, check out the following webpage: http://shop.costco.com/en/In-The-Warehouse/Optical/Independent-Doctors-of-Optometry.aspx.

18. 24 Leah // 2010.06.21 at 8:23 pm

Hi All,
    How much does Costco charge for a contacts exam and standard eye glasses exam?

19. 25 Christine // 2010.04.15 at 9:48 pm

this sucks. my sons glasses broke beyond repair today after school and I ran to lenscrafters to get a new pair as fast as possible because his optomist closed at 5 and sends everything OUT to be done, whether new glasses or simple repair it takes a week. I just spent $84 for the exam at lenscrafters then $256+ on frames & lenses. and she had the gall to say “oh too bad he’s 13— – 12 & under gets 50% off”. Wish i had thought of going to Costco

• 26 Kimberly // 2010.04.16 at 4:34 am

Costco Optical also sends their glasses out to be made, so it would still have taken about a week or so to get a new pair of glasses. Of course, I have found that the end product at LensCrafters is often not very good, probably suffers from the quick turnaround. But next time you don’t need glasses in a hurry you should definitely go to Costco!

20. 27 Another Trip to Costco Optical // 2009.06.05 at 9:03 am

[…] have very competitive prices on contact lenses and extremely good prices on high quality glasses.  I went last year to get a new pair of glasses and it was the best result I’ve ever received.  My glasses were perfect the first time, […]

21. 28 Kimberly // 2008.05.07 at 7:46 am

I’ve gotten sunglasses from Costco too. I bought a Kirkland Signature pair that have those ultra bendy ear pieces and hinges which makes them very hard to break. I’ve had them for 3 or 4 years now and I just love them. They were only $40. We bought my husband a pair of Stussy sunglasses that was about twice that price from somewhere else. And even though he rarely wears them they have already started to fall apart.

22. 29 Justin // 2008.05.06 at 8:19 pm

I also made an optical purchase on Sunday. I really needed a pair of sunglasses and saw a display for KS and Ray Bans by the electronics about two weeks ago but didn’t like them.

Well, I never went into the optical area until Sunday and found a sunglass rack. They have a really great selection of glasses!

I settled on a pair of Hobie glasses for 59.99. I had never heard of Hobie, so I didn’t know if I was getting a deal, but the lenses and frames were some comfy and clear.

After searching online, I found that they are a recently discontinued model, but some online stores still have them for $70 plus shipping at the cheapest.

So, it seems that you will get rock bottom pricing, but not a huge discount off of online vendor prices, which I’m assuming are cheaper than retail stores.

They even carry some designer shades, but 60 was enough for me since I tend to lose them.

The glasses are awesome by the way. Hobie lenses are top notch quality unlike some cheap polarized lenses.