This Week at Costco – May 18 2008

May 21st, 2008 · 14 Comments

Sea Cuisine Tortilla Crusted TilapiaSea Cuisine Tortilla Crusted Tilapia – This is one of our favorite fish products at Costco. It’s got this yummy tortilla topping that adds a lot of crunch and the little hint of lime and chipotle are just enough to give it flavor but not over whelm the fish and everything you are eating with it. It’s a good week night item since you can have it ready to go in about 25 minutes, and it is delicious yet requires no prep work. And because of the flavors of the fish and the topping, it works with just about anything…pasta, rice, potatoes, veggies. Our favorite super-easy meal is to have this fish with some roasted asparagus, almost no prep time and we only need one sheet pan to prepare everything. 2 pounds for $9.99.

Sugar Bowl Bakery MadeleinesSugar Bowl Bakery Madeleines - I’ve been wanting to try these for a while but didn’t really have any cause to buy them. However, since my mom was in town visiting, I figured that was the perfect excuse to give them a try. If you’ve never had a madeleine before they are a cross between a cookie and a little cake. I’m not an expert on these but I do know that we all really liked them. As the packaging says, they are sweet but not too sweet so they make a good little snack or treat during the day. And they are absolutely perfect with a cup of coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. 20 Madeleines for $6.29.

Crunchmaster Rice CrackersCrunchmaster Rice Crackers – Now, normally I wouldn’t be the one pushing rice crackers or even giving them a try (too many bad rice cakes in my past) but the cheese demo guy was using them so I ate one before I knew it was a rice cracker. And I just gotta say, they were yummy! Perfect little crackers for cheese but you could probably put anything on them and it would be a great combo. Also, they are really delicious without any topping at all. And since you can have 16 crackers for just 130 calories, they are considerably lower in fat than regular crackers. What’s not to love? The package you get at Costco has 6 individual packages with 3 each of toasted sesame and artisan four cheese. Personally, I prefer the four cheese variety but the sesame ones are still really delicious. The good thing about either variety is that they are not going to take center stage if you put something on them like cheese or fruit. My mom liked them so much she took a package home with her because she wasn’t sure if she would be able to get them at her Costco. 6 packages (that’s approximately 312 crackers) for $6.99.

Carbonell Spanish Queen OlivesCarbonell Spanish Queen Olives – We love to keep nice olives on hand because they are so great on their own or paired with something else like a salad. It is hard to beat the value that you get at Costco because the olives are absolutely gorgeous and big, plus you get 2 large jars. These are the great big green olives with pimento in them, so they are perfect for putting out for appetizers when friends are over for dinner. They make a great quick afternoon snack because for some reason a couple of olives can really put an end to your hunger pangs. 2, 1 pound 5 ounce jars for $7.49.

Alaskan King Crab LegsKing Crab Legs – It was our anniversary on Sunday (12 years woohoo!) and Dave decided to buy some of these to make me dinner (yes, he really is that sweet & handy in the kitchen). Dave got 2.5 pounds, we could have gotten by with just 2 pounds. They were delicious and the perfect anniversary dinner even if we both left the table totally stuffed. Plus, I feel like we are supporting the people on our favorite television show, Deadliest Catch. I should also point out that Costco now has king crab legs in the freezer section and they are the same prices as the ones the seafood guy sells. 2.5 pounds for $31.05.

Fresh Flowers – Since my mom was visiting and it was also her birthday recently, I got her some flowers for the guest room and bath. I got her 2 dozen pink roses and they came with some greenery and filler for just $14.99! That is a bargain and a half by anyone’s standards. They will stay gorgeous and open up very nicely if you just take a little care with them; the trick is to change the water every other day and use that little packet of flower food, plus try keep them out of direct sunlight. They really perked up our guest room. I don’t know what it is about the Costco flowers, probably that they are fresher or taken better care of in shipment, but they last for a long time, longer than most flowers I’ve gotten at shops or FTD. I bought some tulips a couple of weeks ago ($8.99 for a dozen) that are just now looking wilted and a little droopy. ProFlowers is the only place that can match Costco’s quality, in my opinion. Prices vary.

Nelson 7 Piece Watering ComboNelson 7 Piece Watering Combo - Our hose nozzle that we’ve had for years finally got to be just too painful to use, so I started to look for a replacement. I was so happy to find this very cool set at Costco because it has a variety of nozzles for all of your different watering or cleaning needs. So, what do you get in your 7 piece set: 6 pattern spray nozzle, long neck nozzle, fireman’s style adjustable spray nozzle, and a set of brass hose quick connections. The spray and long neck nozzles both have the ability to control the water pressure with just the slide of the little dial. The fireman’s spray nozzle is what you’d use for cleaning since it can handle a water pressure of up to 250 psi. Even nicer though, is the comfortable grip parts on all of the nozzles so your hand doesn’t get tired when you’re using them. 7 pieces for $19.99.

Tags: Decorating · Food · Landscaping Share

1. 1 Deb // 2010.06.04 at 1:12 pm

What can we do about this? This was a hit and Costco isn’t listening to its customers. I made fish tacos with it …yummy!
    I’m in Austin and I didn’t see it the last time I was there. They had the High Lander Brand. I haven’t tried it yet, but I did purchase it.

• 2 Kimberly // 2010.06.07 at 1:58 am

Deb, I think the only thing you can do is fill out a comment card and let them know that you would like the other stuff to come back. I’d be interested in hearing what you feel about the replacement brand though.

2. 3 Karen Golan // 2009.10.26 at 12:36 pm

They stopped carrying the Sea Cuisine Tortilla in Boulder, Colorado area as well. I believe you can find it in smaller sizes at local grocery stores. According to their website – http://www.seacuisine.com they re no longer carrying bulk store items at costco, just BJ’s which we don’t have in Colorado. Oh well, guess I will have to get them at the grocery store in a smaller container.

• 4 Kimberly // 2009.10.26 at 12:41 pm

They’ve still got it stocked at the Costco in Austin. I don’t know why they’d get rid of it because it seems like everyone loves it. I wonder if they’ve got something similar coming from another supplier?

3. 5 Sylvie Manns // 2009.09.20 at 8:07 pm

Dear Cosco people:
    It is sad, sad, and sad that you stopped stocking the following: Sea Cuisine Tortilla crusted Tilapia; Go Lean blueberry waffles; Oven Reds potatoes by Alexia. Thanks for your attention.

4. 6 Tia // 2009.09.16 at 2:16 pm

HELP!! I love, love, love the sea cuisine tortilla crusted tilapia with chipotle and lime, no other even comes close for me….I can’t find it at Costco and searching for it online, the packaging is different, not sure if it’s the same thing!!

Has anyone found it in the Kansas City area?? Costco….why has thou forsaken me?? LOL….really, please please bring back my fish!! I bought the Inland Market bronzed tilapia with brown sugar and soy sauce and am not crazy about it. :(((

5. 7 Kimberly // 2008.06.18 at 2:19 pm

I just went to the Sea Cuisine website to see why they might not carry it all over. I was redirected to the Fishery Products website, and strangely enough, found that the same company that makes the Sea Cuisine products is apparently responsible for the Margaritaville seafood products, as well (including the macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi mentioned above).

The Sea Cuisine blurb says that they try to create regionally appealing crusted toppings. So, why is a tortilla crust only appealing to those in the Southwest and the Midwest?

BTW, if you want to email Costco to tell them to carry the Margaritaville Mahi Mahi, you can go to the URL below, which I think will direct you to the right page on the Costco site to make a request for them to carry it. http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=mvseafood

6. 8 Chuck Gibney // 2008.06.18 at 2:04 pm

Thank you. It is strange that they carry it in one area of the country, but not others.

7. 9 Kimberly // 2008.06.18 at 2:02 pm

I’ve seen it in my Costco in Austin & also at the Costco stores in Kansas City. I love it & will be so sad if Costco stops carrying it! Though, now I am wondering if they are trying to ease people in to the Trident Panko Crusted Tilapia which they started carrying a few months ago.

8. 10 Chuck Gibney // 2008.06.18 at 1:47 pm

Our nearby Costco stores (Orange county, CA) haven’t carried the Sea Cuisine Tortilla Crusted Tilapia for more than a year. What stores do you shop in that carry it now?
    Thanks, Chuck

9. 11 Donna // 2008.05.30 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for the tip on the rice crackers. I would normally never try a rice cracker, thinking that its tasteless like rice cakes. Now I’ll have to give these a try…the artisan cheese sound pretty darn yummy!

By the way, I just found your website and will be checking in frequently…great site.

Donna :)

10. 12 Kimberly // 2008.05.23 at 1:30 pm

I saw those planters and loved them! A couple of years ago we bought 5 huge terra cotta planters that they had for something like $15, so I could look but not buy. Kind of like you with the hose stuff. :-)

Oh, tax free shopping at Costco…it’s like a dream world! The only clearance I’ve ever seen at Costco is when they just lower the price on something to get rid of it; never a clearance rack or table though or a big ‘sale’ sign.

We’ve had really good luck with the bulbs and plants that we’ve bought at Costco. The plants we bought this year are doing nicely & the Calla Lilies that we bought a few years ago are doing amazingly well…they’re gorgeous and are spreading a little every year. So we have a nice bunch of them now from our initial 9 bulbs.

Have fun in Delaware! Can’t wait to hear what their store is like.

11. 13 Justin // 2008.05.23 at 7:35 am

oh how I wish to edit that post…

irises not iris’s and hose stuff clearance at target (does costco even have clearance?)

Speaking of irises, I also planted some iris bulbs from costco last month.

12. 14 Justin // 2008.05.23 at 7:32 am

I’ve been eying up the hose combo, but just purchased a set on clearance last year, so I have to tell myself NO! I did get one of the HUGE glazed planters that weight about 70 pounds. I don’t know if you saw those. I also got blue, glazed birdbath.

I love the fresh flowers. My wife’s iris’s I gave her lasted for two weeks! I haven’t bought flowers anywhere but costco for a year.

The mother’s day selection was amazing. I didn’t go around valentine’s day, but Mother’s day had a special floral person there and the number of flowers had quadrupled.

I have some exciting news. I’m about to go visit my sister in deleware. That means tax free costco shopping, a larger store, and booze!

I plan an extra 2 hours just to walk around in awe.