Have You Used Costco Services for Your Home?

October 7th, 2008 · 98 Comments

Recently, some friends and I were discussing various projects that we all have going on around our homes – painting, carpet, blinds, countertops, stuff like that.  And of course, they all asked me about the service relationships that Costco has available to their members.  I’ve got to be honest, I’ve never used any of them and don’t think I know anyone that has either, but it did get me curious.  So, I was wondering if anyone has taken advantage of these services through Costco and how that worked out.  Do you really get a better deal?  Do you feel like it took some of the stress out of the project? Or do you have a total horror story?

I was hoping that I could find out a little more information on the Costco.com website.  Unfortunately, it just has very general information about the Home Decor services (carpet, blinds, and closets) they offer and mentions nothing at all about countertops or painting, which are some of the other services offered here in Austin.  The other thing I really can’t figure out is if all of these services are contracted through a national chain or through local vendors.  For instance, I know that here in Austin the house painting services are provided by CertaPro Painters, which does seem to have franchises nationwide.

In any case, I’d love to get feedback from anyone that has gone through Costco for these types of services for your home.

Tags: Decorating · Household Items Share

1. 1 Cynthia // 2014.03.16 at 6:24 pm

Shutters:
    I got a quote for shutters a couple years ago. The price was horrible and several thousand dollars for three living room windows. I can’t say how they would have been because I did not get them. I could not believe it.

Car Rental:
    I just rented a car through Costco in December (it was a Budget and relatively new Ford SUV). I was VERY pleased with this! The price was at least $100 lower than any other car companies even with a AAA Membership and other discounts considered. I will use this again.

2. 2 Jackie bennett // 2014.03.16 at 1:47 am

Had carpet and wooden flooring installed. Very happy with the carpet so far but this has been a terrible experience. It was to be a two day job but the installers decided to do it in one. I am a female senior citizen. The installers kept saying they were almost done and they weren’t. They wouldn’t leave and come back the next day as it had been agreed upon at the beginning of this sale. I had neighbors complaining and I kept asking them to leave. They left a little after 11:30pm. They left glue everywhere, and didn’t really clean up anything. Then I noticed damaged flooring that they had installed. Going on a month now trying to get the problems taken care of and have now been waiting yet again for over a week to hear from someone. Someone from the corporate offices was supposed to call me, but that never happened. I’m getting the run around. I would NEVER recommend buying flooring from Costco. I also had to admonish one of the workers for leaving pee on the edge of the toilet bowl and on the floor in my bathroom! I may have to contact an attorney in order to get anyone to do anything. 101 flooring came out and took pictures a little over a week ago and then said that their flooring supplier may want to come out and see the floor and take pictures. Stall, stall, stall. Everyone is going to try to blame someone else, but it is the installers from the flooring company that Costco contracted with that choose to put down damaged flooring. Am totally frustrated. My first step is going to be Better Business Bureau before the next week is out. If that fails, I will probably have to hire a lawyer.

• 3 Bill Smith // 2014.04.08 at 3:08 pm

Jackie Bennett – Was this Flooring 101 in the Los Angeles/Conejo Valley area? I also had installation quality problems with them.

• 4 Jackie bennett // 2014.04.08 at 5:15 pm

The Flooring 101 that my local Costco uses is in Oxnard. The flooring was installed January 16 and to date (April 8, 2014) everything is still up in the air. Shaw Manufacturing hired a “unbiased” inspector to come out and take pictures and see what was going on. He said the guys that put down my floor shouldn’t be in the flooring business. Still waiting for a decision on what they plan on doing next. In the meantime all my baseboard is sitting out on my patio. Will never go through Costco flooring or carpeting again. Oh, also the inspector said that the carpet they laid had been put down wrong and the doorways weren’t finished properly. Most unhappy with the whole situation.

3. 5 Michael // 2014.03.02 at 8:03 pm

Totally disapointed with costco and shaw carpets. We moved into a new home. Had costco install Shaw carpet. More than 5 k. The carpet did not hold up. We called the store we went through to buy the carpet. They refered us to call customer service. Customer service refered us back to the store. Called the store again. Several times. The manager was not in and never got back to us. We were refered back to customer service. Iwe threw a fit on the phone. Shaw That got us a number for shaw. Called them. We were told it would cost us 250.00 to have someone come out to inspect carpet. Threw another fit on the phone. Was told they would get back to us. They didn’t. Called again and was told hat it would take a while to process. That was about 4 months ago. I have emailed cot os customer service twice. I asked for the name of a district or regional manager. No response from costco. Horrible horibleHORIBLE customer service. I’m having the carpet ripened up next week. I’m going to look into what my legal options are. DO NOT BUY CARPET FROM COST. SHAW CARPET IS A TERRIBLE PRODUCT.

4. 6 Marty and Ruth // 2013.10.01 at 2:38 pm

Watch out! had carpet installed but with defects noticed by us, and recarpeting done, took over three months to install. It has been over 8 weeks since
    job completed and we still have not received our cash card rebate. (4 to 6 weeks advertised). Have called Costco reps. on three occasions after the six week waiting period
    and each time have been told a customer rep would call us within three days-and we are still waiting! The entire experience was a nightmare, though we are happy with the carpet and installation quality. Have had counter tops, and other services through Costco in the past- without glitches, but somebody dropped the ball on this one.

5. 7 Barry // 2013.08.02 at 3:52 pm

The product you buy is only as good as the installer and the trouble with Costco is they subcontract this out. I recently ordered a carpet installation in my basement. Despite checking off the Radient Heat box and writing on the order form that there are glycol heating pipes in the concrete floor the installer nailed the carpet tack strips to the floor. When I pointed out to him that there were heating pipes in the floor he said no one told him (don’t they have job cards?) and he stopped work and just left without another word. The service department apologised and rescheduled another installation – 4-5 weeks later. The installer showed up again said no one told him to remove the carpet tack strips he had nailed, that he had no glue and left again without completing the work. So, I’m still getting the run around. There is a sense of powerlessness that you feel when you don’t know who you are really dealing with and you have to call a service center somewhere across the world asking for something to be fixed. If I do this again I will use a local shop that I can go in to and speak directly with the owner.

6. 8 Ryan // 2013.06.28 at 7:34 pm

I’ve bought Hunter Douglas window coverings thru a Costco services rep and had pretty good success. The rep that came out was patient and worked with me on colors and sized all of the windows. I even got some upgrades on hardware due to a promotion that was going on. Their prices for what was offered was better than the other local vendors I checked with (I live in Tacoma, WA). The shades were done faster than I was quoted and didn’t take long for the installer to come out and get them in. I was very pleased with that experience. I’ve also bought a bedroom set from Costco and have been happy with the quality. I had a flaw in one piece at the time of delivery and they replaced it without any hassle. My uncle has made high end furniture and says that the Costco furniture he’s seen has been very well built.

On the flip side, I had a a Costco rep come out to quote me on garage doors and he was pushy and tried to hard sell me. I wasn’t happy with that experience, and found that of the 4 quotes I received Costco was the most expensive for what I was after by a pretty sizable amount. Two of the other vendors had the exact same garage doors and equipment (Amarr). My parents have had Costco come out to quote on carpet and said the experience and offering was similar to what I went thru on the garage doors, they bought better carpet at a lower price from another local vendor.

Suffice to say my experience with their services and the reps/contractors they sub out to has been a mixed bag. I think the products they offer are of good quality, but it may not be the best deal out there. In fact, I’m thinking of buying a brunswick pool table from costco right now which will be delivered and setup by a local vendor.

7. 9 jcaldwell // 2013.06.13 at 8:50 pm

Just had commercial carpet from Costco Home Decor services installed in my home. I swear when I looked at the samples, they were very plush and thick. When it arrived, it was about 1/4 of an inch thick with a 3/8 inch pad. I like the color of the carpet, but the quality, Mohawk Town Center II is terrible. I can feel bumps in the cement floor beneath the carpet and am very very disappointed in the quality of it. Does anyone know if I have any recourse in getting different carpet put in?

• 10 mikecogs // 2013.06.17 at 10:36 pm

I would email or call Costco customer service and explain the situation to them, I contacted them thru the warehouse/ comments and suggestions page on their website and they responded 2 days later and then assigned a resolution associate to the case. Basically you need to escalate the matter internally to costco, once they are on it I’m sure they will help you out.

• 11 Jcaldwell // 2013.06.28 at 7:52 am

Tank you, Mike. A Costco rep has called once, but no further contact has been made for 2 weeks. I’m very disappointed. It is now on dispute on my Amex card, which i thought would get their attention. It’s very frustrating to have zero customer service from Costco and I’m very surprised. Thank you for your input!

8. 12 Amit M. // 2013.04.25 at 9:43 pm

Do you really get a better deal?
    I don’t think so. I have used them for carpets and furnace. I have called them for quotes on custom cabinets and custom shades. They were definitely not at a good price as compared to other local vendors for the same or comparable product. In fact they were always higher, but with the Costco rebates, the pricing was close to the local vendors. I am happy with the quality as they only offer better quality and/or inbuilt upgrades. Whereas with a local vendor, they will carry the cheapest of quality to the best, giving you a wider choice in case you want to save some money and go with a cheaper option.
    Do you feel like it took some of the stress out of the project?
    If you are not worried about paying a few extra dollars, yes, it definitely took the stress out of the project. It requires the same time being spent with the designer and installers, but knowing that it is Costco and that they stand by the products and services, there was less stress.
    Or do you have a total horror story?
    Not for me, but I started by blindly going with Costco if they offer the service, but now I am comparing with other local vendors as I found I paid more for my furnaces as compared to the same brand and model from local vendors.

9. 13 Susan // 2013.04.25 at 7:15 pm

a few years ago, I tried to get an estimate in countertops.
    the rep,that called would not come to my home to measure, was rather unpleasant, and seemed to be a local vendor, but probably not too close. I used Home Expo that was still in business at the time.

10. 14 Pete Kerner // 2013.02.08 at 5:46 pm

I bought carpet through Costco and the rep said I would get a certain size – that did not happen, the rep charged me extra without telling me, the prosmised date ment nothing to the rep even though I needed the carpet installed because of a prom party I was giving. When I called Costco and explained all this, they made everything happen the way it should. Not only did Costco make good on the original agreement, they went above and beyond to ensure my statisfaction. I have purchased stone counter tops, lots of funiture etc and will continue to buy from Costco because they stand behind what they say. Hey sometimes sub contractors screw up, the big difference to me is the fact that Costco has always been a stand up company and delivered on their promises.