Pistachio Recall for Back to Nature Trail Mix at Costco

March 31st, 2009 · 26 Comments

If you haven’t heard, there’s a nationwide recall on pistachio products from Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella Inc. from California due to possible salmonella contamination.   They are recalling around one million pounds of pistachios.  The pistachios were used as ingredients in a wide range of food products from different companies, as a result, there will likely be many items affected by this recall.

As far as Costco goes, so far there is just one product affected by the pistachio recall.  The Back to Nature Foods Company has issued a voluntary recall of its Nantucket Blend trail mix containing pistachio nuts because the products may have the potential to be contaminated with the salmonella.  This is the only Back to Nature product that has been affected by this recall.  If you purchased this trail mix from Costco, you should return it to the store where you purchased it for a full refund.  Here are the full details of the trail mix that are being recalled:

• Back to Nature Nantucket Blend trail mix, 28 oz. bag, UPC code 59283-00020 and a “best by” date between 08 20 09 and 12 12 09.
  • Back to Nature Nantucket Blend trail mix, 10 oz. bag, UPC code 59283-31039 and a “best by” date between 11 04 09 and 12 12 09.

Updated 2009.04.02: Some products from Vacaville Fruit Co. that were sold at Costco and Costco.com are being recalled as a result of a specific lot of nuts that they received in September 2008 from Setton Pistachio:

• Vacaville 63 ounce Fruit Tray, Costco item # 318365, expiration date 03.31.2009.
  • Vacaville Fruit Company 40 ounce Dried Fruit and Nut Tray, sold on Costco.com from 09.26.2008 – 02.28.2009, Costco item #313396, expiration date 03.31/2009.
  • Vacaville Fruit Company 40 ounce Dried Fruit and Nut Tray, sold on Costco.com from 03.01.2009 – 03.14.2009, Costco item #313396, expiration date 05.31/2009.

For a full list of all of the companies that are taking part in the pistachio recall, or have products that have been affected by the recall, you can visit the Pistachio Product Recalls page on the FDA website.

Relax...you can eat the pistachios at Costco

Relax...you can eat the pistachios at Costco

Updated 2009.04.16: This weekend I noticed that Costco is still selling 4 different packages of pistachios: shelled, unshelled, and the salt and pepper ones with the Sunkist, Kirkland Signature, and Everybody’s Nuts.  And so that you won’t be freaked out about buying them, they’ve posted this sign above to the pistachios to quell your nerves.  All the pistachios they are selling have been excluded from the recall by the FDA and Setton Farms and are processed on different equipment.

Tags: Food · Health & Beauty · In the News Share

1. 1 Dornal // 2010.01.10 at 4:02 pm

I bought another Kirkland bag of pistashios after having sworn off of the brand several years ago. My recent purchase doesn’t change the reason why: they are too dry and lack any residue of the essential oil that makes them flavorful. Remember Iranian pistachios until the Shah was booted? Those were some of the best.

2. 2 Wylie Wiggins // 2009.04.21 at 6:52 pm

I did’nt get the trail mix but I did buy the pistachios in the four pound bag and felt pretty bad as the quantity I eat in a serving may not be common.

3. 3 Darryl // 2009.04.20 at 6:03 pm

Zoinks. So this bag I just finished with the product code Dave added numbers to make fit (which seems a tad dubious) has a best before date of 04/16/09. So… maybe I’m safe because these pistachios are old?

Again, the Product Code from the FDA:
    0966190335

Product Code from this bag:
    096619034352

FDA Description:
    PISTACHIOS CALIFORNIA NATURALLY ROASTED & SALTED

Description from bag:
    Kirkland Signature – California Pistachios – U.S. #1 – Naturally Opened

• 4 Kimberly // 2009.04.21 at 11:56 am

The expiration dates, as well as the product codes, are key to this recall. You were probably lucky and got a different batch of the pistachios.

4. 5 Dave // 2009.04.19 at 3:48 pm

The product code the FDA has for the Costco pistachios is not entirely correct – it is missing the number 4 between the 3’s. I just checked the bag I purchased a few weeks back (still unopened) and this is definetely the product.
    Product Code: 09661903435(2)

5. 6 Steve // 2009.04.19 at 1:18 pm

Just an update to my comment above: Checking the FDA website, the 4 lb bag of Kirkland Pistachios has been added to the recall list:

Category: Pistachio
    Brand Name: Kirkland / CostCo
    Product Description: PISTACHIOS CALIFORNIA NATURALLY ROASTED & SALTED
    Recalling Firm: Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella, Inc.
    Size: 4 lbs.
    Lot Numbers: “Best Before” date between Sept 03 2009 and Mar 26 2010
    Stock Numbers:
    Product Code: 0966190335
    Label:

6. 7 Kimberly // 2009.04.15 at 10:27 am

Erika – The only Kashi bars at our Costco this weekend were the GoLean Roll bars.

7. 8 Tedd // 2009.04.12 at 8:26 pm

Saw this today about Kirkland / Costco Pistachios

8. 9 Ex Girlfiend // 2009.04.09 at 10:28 pm

Not that I’m totally impressed, but this is more than I expected when I stumpled upon a link on SU telling that the info here is awesome. Thanks.

9. 10 Cheryl // 2009.04.09 at 12:24 pm

Here’s a site listing pistachios NOT affected by the recall:

10. 11 Kimberly // 2009.04.08 at 1:12 pm

Well, with the more widely spread recall of pistachios by Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella, the Kirkland Signature/Costco pistachios have been recalled. The California Naturally Roasted and Salted pistachios were sold in a 4 pound container with the UPC code 0966190335 and were only sold in CA, WA, OR, ID, UT, NV, HI, AK.

11. 12 Erika // 2009.04.07 at 1:07 pm

Re the previous peanut paste recall and the disappearance of those Kashi TLC Chewy Granola Bars that Costco used to carry as a result: have people seen those Kashi bars returning to their local Costco warehouses? I’ve seen these bars showing up again in my local Giant grocery store, so I was wondering if Costco was planning on restocking that 25-count box of these bars they used to carry. Anyone seen them at a Costco yet?

12. 13 Steve // 2009.04.02 at 8:21 pm

Here’s the reply I got from Costco …
    Dear Steven,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Our pistachios have not been involved in the recent recall at this time.

Taylor
    Costco Wholesale Corporation

Note the careful wording “AT THIS TIME” so I guess I will wait a little longer before eating or returning them.

13. 14 Dave // 2009.04.02 at 5:06 pm

anyone heard anything on the Costco Kirkland Pistachios?

14. 15 christine // 2009.04.02 at 12:44 pm

“We love the Everybody’s Nuts Salt and Pepper pistachio’s from Costco. Does anyone know if these are safe?”

YES! Thank god.

15. 16 Dan // 2009.04.02 at 9:37 am

16. 17 Kimberly // 2009.04.02 at 8:52 am

There are also some products from Vacaville Fruit Company that were added to the recall list, so I updated the post with those items.

17. 18 jt // 2009.04.01 at 10:45 pm

Has anyone been notified by Costco directly that the pistachio products are being recalled? I’ve been told by the FDA that membership stores are required to contact all customers purchasing recalled products as they have a record of customer purchases.

18. 19 Chelsea // 2009.04.01 at 1:37 pm

My husband and I have been working on a bag of the Sunkist pistachios… and last Tuesday I ended up in the ER with gastroenteritis. Now I feel confident that it was a coincidence. Thanks for the info everyone!

19. 20 Kimberly // 2009.04.01 at 12:08 pm

Todd, thanks for the link & information about the Sunkist pistachios.

20. 21 Todd // 2009.04.01 at 12:01 pm

Sorry for got the “s” at the end, correct link is:

21. 22 Todd // 2009.04.01 at 11:58 am

I found this at http://www.sunkistpistachio.com:

Sunkist Pistachios
    Are Not Involved in FDA Recall

The FDA has announced a nationwide voluntary recall of pistachios from Setton Farms. Paramount Farms is not part of this recall, and we believe our products are safe. We have stringent quality control procedures in place, and our products consistently exceed USDA specifications.

We are committed to producing only the highest quality products, and the health and well-being of consumers who enjoy our pistachios is our foremost concern. Consistent with this commitment and in light of the current situation, we are testing all products in our inventory and are committed to testing all pistachio shipments going forward as a further precautionary measure.

22. 23 Kimberly // 2009.04.01 at 8:08 am

I haven’t heard or read anything about Sunkist, however, like you I think I would hold off on eating them for a while. I’ll post something here if there are other Costco products that are part of the pistachio recall.

23. 24 Kimberly // 2009.04.01 at 8:07 am

Clue, did you check your products & are they part of the recall? Glad no one got sick & I hope it stays that way!

24. 25 Patrick DeMinter // 2009.03.31 at 4:00 pm

I just bought the big Sunkist shelled bag of dry roasted pistachios kernels. I have not seen a recall yet of this product, but I have stopped eating them . let me know if these are recalled.

25. 26 Clue // 2009.03.31 at 2:48 pm

Oops well! We’ve been through 3 bags of those this past month or so and nothing “upsetting” has happened.