If you haven’t heard, there’s a nationwide recall on pistachio products from Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella Inc. from California due to possible salmonella contamination. They are recalling around one million pounds of pistachios. The pistachios were used as ingredients in a wide range of food products from different companies, as a result, there will likely be many items affected by this recall.
As far as Costco goes, so far there is just one product affected by the pistachio recall. The Back to Nature Foods Company has issued a voluntary recall of its Nantucket Blend trail mix containing pistachio nuts because the products may have the potential to be contaminated with the salmonella. This is the only Back to Nature product that has been affected by this recall. If you purchased this trail mix from Costco, you should return it to the store where you purchased it for a full refund. Here are the full details of the trail mix that are being recalled:
- Back to Nature Nantucket Blend trail mix, 28 oz. bag, UPC code 59283-00020 and a “best by” date between 08 20 09 and 12 12 09.
- Back to Nature Nantucket Blend trail mix, 10 oz. bag, UPC code 59283-31039 and a “best by” date between 11 04 09 and 12 12 09.
Updated 2009.04.02: Some products from Vacaville Fruit Co. that were sold at Costco and Costco.com are being recalled as a result of a specific lot of nuts that they received in September 2008 from Setton Pistachio:
- Vacaville 63 ounce Fruit Tray, Costco item # 318365, expiration date 03.31.2009.
- Vacaville Fruit Company 40 ounce Dried Fruit and Nut Tray, sold on Costco.com from 09.26.2008 – 02.28.2009, Costco item #313396, expiration date 03.31/2009.
- Vacaville Fruit Company 40 ounce Dried Fruit and Nut Tray, sold on Costco.com from 03.01.2009 – 03.14.2009, Costco item #313396, expiration date 05.31/2009.
For a full list of all of the companies that are taking part in the pistachio recall, or have products that have been affected by the recall, you can visit the Pistachio Product Recalls page on the FDA website.
Updated 2009.04.16: This weekend I noticed that Costco is still selling 4 different packages of pistachios: shelled, unshelled, and the salt and pepper ones with the Sunkist, Kirkland Signature, and Everybody’s Nuts. And so that you won’t be freaked out about buying them, they’ve posted this sign above to the pistachios to quell your nerves. All the pistachios they are selling have been excluded from the recall by the FDA and Setton Farms and are processed on different equipment.