Kirkland Signature Hot Dogs & Polish Sausages

April 16th, 2009 · 55 Comments

Everyone knows that Costco’s food court offers an amazing deal on a hot dog or Polish sausage with a drink for just $1.50.  The price hasn’t changed in something like 25 years but the hot dogs and sausages have; from Hebrew National to their own Kirkland Signature brand.  The quality continues to be excellent and really the price can’t be beat for a lunchtime deal.

KS Hot Dogs & Polish Sausages

KS Hot Dogs & Polish Sausages

However, did you know that you can now recreate that delicious hot dog experience at home?  That’s right, Costco is now selling the Kirkland Signature all beef hot dogs and Polish sausages in their stores.  In each package you get 3.8 pounds of hot dogs or Polish sausages, each link weighing around 1/4 pound (and a little).  The price is just $9.99 and I think there were 15 links per package; so that is just $0.67 per link.  These aren’t your regular dogs though, because they are really long.  So I’m hoping that Costco is selling better/bigger buns now too or your hot dog or sausage will be hanging out the ends and dwarfing the bun.

This is the perfect time of year to be launching this new item.  It’s just in time for all the summer cook outs, camping trips, and picnics.  I know I’ll definitely be buying some for my upcoming camping trip!

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 Francisco Barcenas Cruz // 2014.03.07 at 8:38 pm

If they could cut the SALT content by half, you might be able to actually taste the beef. It just a SALT-DOG for me. I’m definitly not buying Kirkland Brand Beef Hot-dogs again.

2. 2 Lina // 2013.05.23 at 1:30 pm

Lol.. you must love food man, but you’re right the Costco hotdogs are very tasty. Whenever I visit the store with my loved ones I must have a hot dog.

3. 3 Margaret // 2013.05.06 at 4:47 pm

We hadn’t been able to get the polish sausages in Canada for several years after the whole “mad cow” episode. So when I saw them back on the menu I was quite excited as I too always loved them and had one almost every time I went to Costco. They are good, but don’t come close to the deliciousness (I think I just made up a new word) of the Sinai Polish. Does anyone know if the company that made the Sinai polish sausages is still around?

• 4 Cubbiegal // 2013.09.15 at 1:11 am

No, they are no longer around. You are thinking of best kosher and they were sold and then closed a number of years ago. The closest thing are costco’s polish and port ills jumbo dogs.

4. 5 Jodi // 2013.02.27 at 12:55 pm

I got a Kirkland hotdog to go, the other day and while I was driving home trying to eat carefully and not loose the saurerkraut between the seat…..I bit into a large bone and it loosened my tooth so much that I had to pull it due to the excruciating pain. I am a lover of the Costco hotdog deal for only $1.50 but, my estimate for an implant is $2,500.00.
    Has anybody ever had a piece of bone in this Kirkland hotdog? If, not, do be careful. You will see another side of Costco when simply filing a complaint. Their answer is that bones in meat is a common occurence. I am so disappointed in my favorite store.
    Thanks,
    Jodi

• 6 Doc // 2013.04.13 at 8:46 am

Are sure it was bone and not cartilage…and one should always be careful when biting into anything you cannot see inside. You must of been Hungary to be chomping down that hard and fast. Could it have been a filing out of another tooth, that came lose and became in the path of the next bite.

Nothing is 100% free, in how food is processed.

• 7 Bob // 2013.04.13 at 10:04 am

Sorry, but I don’t feel sorry for you. First of all you should not have been eating while driving a car. You place others at risk of injury due to your negligence while attempting to drive and eat at the same time. It is a bad a texting and driving. Since you were not caught by the police while eating and driving, you sure were caught by the man upstairs and you paid the price for your infraction.

• 8 Doc // 2013.04.13 at 7:18 pm

I agree in addition of what I wrote with you Bob. I just hope this Jodi, is not Jodi Arias. As Eating, Texting, Arguing while Driving, or any distraction within a vehicle or outside are dangerous, anything that removes your attention both visual & hearing, you ability of awareness of your surrounding is dangerous.

It only takes a split second and you are involved in an accident/collision or worse having injured, maimed, or killed a Person or Animal.

Automobiles Kill More People a year than Guns….29,500 total firearm deaths in the US (not just handguns, all firearms) vs Traffic collision accounted for about 42,500 deaths.

Retired Disabled Fire Captain/Fire Fighter/EMT/USMC Nam Vet

• 9 Kevin // 2013.04.13 at 8:18 pm

If you are eating a hot dog and surprised that you will occasionally find a piece of bone or something (anything!) else, it may be that you are not clear on the concept. “Tube steak” is said ironically. Hot dogs are not actually made from steak!

5. 10 Duane // 2013.01.03 at 1:45 pm

What kind of casing does it have beef, pork, or artificial?

6. 11 Become Ordained Online // 2012.12.05 at 5:44 am

I’m a big fan of the CostCo dogs. I don’t know what the naysayers are comparing them to, but you can bet it costs more than $1.50 with a 20 oz drink! Price is not the most important factor, but you gotta consider it. I’ve paid a LOT more for a much worse dog. They are too wet, slapped onto the bun straight out of the steamer. I ask them to wrap the dog separately so I can dry it off. Otherwise, the bun is soggy by the time I’m half-way through with it. I get 3 krauts and squeeze the extra juice out before putting it on the dog, for the same reason. Sometimes I cut up a pickle and tomato and home and bring them along so I can assemble a Chicago dog. I usually also grab one of the packets of red pepper (pizza pepper) and sprinkle it on the dog to give it a “hot link” flavor. It’s a food court hot dog, and it’s very good at what it sets out to be. You can tell all the people who are ALWAYS waiting in line that the dog is no good, or that la-di-da they make a better dog at such and such place in NYC (yawn . . . color me not impressed by NYC).

7. 12 Meal Plan – September 29th – October 5th « Jaime Cooks: Endevours in Eating & Entertaining // 2012.10.07 at 12:20 pm

[...] let him pick dinner. Jim was not disappointed in the least. Should probably give a shout out to the Kirkland hot dogs I picked up from Costco. They are all-beef deliciousness, which is good, because there are still 4 [...]

8. 13 Lunch at Costco | Cbr624's Blog // 2012.06.04 at 2:23 pm

[...] http://addictedtocostco.com/2009/04/16/kirkland-signature-hot-dogs-polish-sausages/ This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← Secret Pizza Cosmopolitan Las Vegas 123 → [...]

9. 14 Kevin Price // 2012.01.30 at 5:20 pm

I also agree that the New Costco hot dogs are better than the old HN. I think Costco’s true intention was to maintain availability for all their stores and provide a quality product that their customers would like. You cannot please all of the people all of the time as the saying goes. I was happy with the HN before and happier now with the new Kirkland Hot Dog. Kudos to Costco

• 15 Reuben G // 2012.10.12 at 3:35 pm

Sorry Kevin I and many of my friends disagree. the Hebrew national hot dogs were bettere tasting and kosher. I don’t eat nearly as many Kirkland hot dogs as I did Hebrew national KOSHER hot dogs.

10. 16 mike // 2012.01.04 at 12:51 am

New Hot Dogs much greaser.

11. 17 Dan Jericho // 2011.05.29 at 11:54 am

Unlike many others, I found the taste of the Kirkland dogs FAR SUPERIOR to that of the Hebrew National hot dogs. They have fantastic flavor and texture. In my opinion the newer hot dogs in the food court are a big step up from the former dogs. These hot dogs are the tastiest ones I have ever had! Thanks to Costco for upgrading a good product with a great one!

12. 18 Shirley Cairns // 2011.03.17 at 5:32 pm

I had a Kirkland hot dog today, only because I was starving and had to wait for Rx. It was very salty and strange taste and texture – not at all good or even compares to National Hebrew. They were also out of the deli mustard bin. Does this mean they’re switching from National Hebrew on mustard as well? I never had hot dogs except at Costco because they were good and kosher. Now I’ll never eat them again (at Costco anyway). Also, cannot find sodium, fat, etc. content anywhere (store or internet) and WHERE and by WHOM are they made? Final comment – tummy not feeling that great right now – 2 hrs after eating it. Major bad move, Costco!

13. 19 Bob Andreoli // 2011.03.12 at 10:21 am

I have just returned from Hawaii. During my stay, I purchased a hot dog at one of attractions. This is the second year in a row that I have eaten at the same location and each time, I had one of the dogs. Last year I named it the Royal Hawaiian Hot Dog. This year I asked the vendor what brand it was and was informed that it was a Kirkland Hot Dog from Cosco. I was amazed at the taste and quality of the hot dog. Delicious and the best dog that I have ever had. I am now looking forward to purchasing a package at my local Cosco. I have already informed the family and friends of the find. Thanks to Kirland.

14. 20 James Junkin // 2011.03.11 at 4:30 pm

I just discovered the Lone Tree, Colorado Costco has switched to the Kirkland hot dogs. It almost made my wife sick. I’ve been eating the Hebrew National brand at Costco for about 10 years, but that is the last Costco hot dog for me. I will be making a lot less trips to Costco from now on.

15. 21 Rebecca // 2010.11.30 at 2:45 pm

I’m a Casting Producer for Shed Media and we’re currently casting a docu-series for TLC about ADULTS with unusual eating habits or perhaps a certain food addiction. Are you a fussy eater? Are you addicted to one specific food item? Do your friends and family think your eating habits are out of control? If so, you may be just what we are looking for!

The audition process is private and simple. I can assure you that the purpose of this show is not to expose or embarrass anyone, but rather to serve as a tool for participants and viewers. We have a team of qualified experts who use a number of techniques to help the person overcome their emotional and physical problems to develop a healthier diet.

For more information or to recommend a particular person, please contact Rebecca @ 323.904.4680 ASAP.

Thanks again for your help and support, I look forward to hearing from you!

Rebecca Greenberg

16. 22 Chris // 2010.10.14 at 2:37 pm

This ingredient list is from HebrewNational.com for polish sausage: INGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Contains 2% or less of: Spices, Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Garlic Powder, Sodium Erythorbate, Salt, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Diacetate, Smoke Flavor, Sodium Nitrite. CONTAINS: SOY.
    APPARENTLY – The only thing that is kosher is the beef INSIDE the Polish Sausage and NOT the Sausage as a whole. Yikes, I won’t eat the Hebrew National anymore… that is just a marketing gimmick which is clear if you go to their web site and read their ingredients.. corn and soy. It doesn’t say it is NON-GMO corn or NON-GMO soy either.
    hahahah holy crap. I also see that Hebrew National is a ConAgra company. Kosher? hahaha! I hate to admit that I actually bought into this one. Even their web site has signs wagging that say “no fillers” “no artificial flavors”. WHAT A JOKE. Since when isn’t Soy Protein a filler?????????????

17. 23 Kimberly // 2010.09.08 at 4:09 am

I deleted Steve H’s comment because despite what he said, I felt his comment was indeed pretty racially charged and certainly doesn’t fit with my blog.

18. 24 r b // 2010.09.04 at 6:22 pm

:O
    Oh my.
    Tell us how you really feel steve h… don’t hold back.

19. 25 Kosherdogette // 2010.08.14 at 12:35 pm

Just ate a KS polish and digestive system did NOT like it. Koshers were consistently yummy and safe in my tummy. KS brand = thumbs down.

20. 26 Dennis Kirwin // 2010.07.18 at 12:55 pm

I am a hotdog aficionado….. Kirkland dogs are great! With all the harsh protests against the Kirklande dogs..I wounder if the folks complaining are….well, pushing a certain agenda with the HN being Kosher and all. ….. makes you wonder.

21. 27 Jenny // 2010.07.17 at 9:55 pm

Our family enjoys the Kirkland Signature beef franks. Our Costcos used to serve the Sinai Kosher brand, which is still my favorite and which I do miss from the food court, but I think the KS dog is a good substitution. While it’s not kosher, it has a lot fewer fillers than a lot of the competiting hot dogs out there. I think it’s pretty tasty and of good quality.

We occasionally purchase the Hebrew National packs to cook up at home, but it doesn’t have that nice “snap” to its casing and my family keeps asking me not to but those anymore.

22. 28 Steve Voelker // 2010.07.14 at 1:38 am

I may be in the minority here but I always thought the Hebrew National product was overrated- too darn greasy for my taste. I used to love the Best’s Kosher dogs you could get in the meat section at Sam’s. Of course, Best’s had the same problem as Sinai- owned by Sara Lee, which seemed to just buy up all the Kosher purveyors they could, only to run them into the ground! A real pity for a lot of hard-working folks in Chicago and other places… :-(

Having said that, I haven’t tried the Kirkland dogs yet. I will say the ingredient list looks promising. I hate, hate, HATE the presence of corn syrup everywhere; when I see it in hot dogs and chili I get very angry. The fact that Kirklands don’t have it listed as an ingredient will be a point in their favor. Tales of botched spice balance worry me, though…

23. 29 Jeff Reed // 2010.06.20 at 2:25 pm

If you go from a Kosher Beef/Kosher-processed Hot Dog to a non-Kosher Hot Dog, you are going in reverse relative to Quality. The $1.50 price point is a joke if what you are serving is of lesser Quality.

By paying to shop there, I am telling Costco that I want Quality! I want Hebrew National Kosher Quality and I understand prices do change (go up) for better Quality. I would gladly pay $2.50 to get better Quality.

Costco is underestimating who their Member is if they think they can take Quality off the table, while albeit providing a larger amount at the same retail price, and they’ll just say, “OK.”

Or, is this change a microcosm of where Costco is now headed?…….”As long as we give them a little more and keep the price the same, we can give them cheaper quality and they’ll be fat, dumb, and happy”………….

24. 30 Rich // 2010.05.07 at 12:12 pm

i like the new KS sausage, they are good, quality and quantity both and not expensive like the other brands.