This Week at Costco – May 24, 2009

May 30th, 2009 · 8 Comments

We took advantage of the coupons for lots of savings this week.  We bought things that we aren’t really out of but will continue to use and can easily store:  razors and deodorant.  It’s hard to pass up the coupons for these items because they offer quite a discount.  Don’t forget this is the last weekend you can use the current coupon book and then we’ll have to wait to see what the next Costco coupon book holds.

Healthy chips from Corazonas

Healthy chips from Corazonas

Corazonas Squeeze of Lime Tortilla Chips – This isn’t so much a review as a public service announcement.  These are too tart and too limey!  Seriously, it is hard to eat one by itself without dip or salsa to cut the tartness.  And they tend to break more often than you would like.  If you put some kind of dip on them though, they mellow out and do taste good.  Just way, way too much lime juice powder; sometimes less is more.  However, if you can get past the overbearing lime flavor they are very healthy, as chips go, because they have no cholesterol, no trans fats, no gluten, and contain 18 grams of whole grains per serving.  Plus, they are made with plant sterols which have been shown to help reduce cholesterol.  The reason I bought these was because of the coupon, I doubt they will be a repeat purchase.  2, 15 ounce bags for $4.65 (buy one, get one free coupon; $4.65 per bag regularly).

Creamy Mediterranean Dip

Creamy Mediterranean Dip

Santa Barbara Bay Creamy Mediterranean Dip – Thankfully, we had picked up this dip to eat with the chips.  It was yummy!  It is indeed very creamy, probably because it is made with Neufchatel cheese, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese.  It also has roasted red peppers and olives, plus some spices that they don’t specify but I believe has oregano.  Obviously, dip made with cheese isn’t low cal or healthy but it was really yummy.  And hey, I was eating it with healthy chips so that balances out right?  You can really taste the Parmesan and the oregano in the dip, I think.  You don’t really notice the red peppers or olives too much except for added color and texture.  We had this on chips but it would be equally good on crackers and I’ll bet it would really be tasty on a baguette.  I wonder if you could make it into a bruschetta topping.  32 ounces for $7.99.

Chobani Greek Yogurt

Chobani Greek Yogurt

Chobani Greek Yogurt with Fruit – So, for all of you that love Fage, I think you’ll really like this too.  These are more like the traditional yogurts with fruit on the bottom, but made with the thicker Greek yogurt.  And they are fat free too.  While each container is only 6 ounces, somehow it seems like more.  My guess is that this is because of how thick the Greek yogurt is and all that protein in each little cup; 14 grams.  In the box at Costco you get 12 individual yogurts with 3 different fruit varieties (4 of each): strawberry, peach, and blueberry.  I like all of them though I think the blueberry might be the winner, but just barely.  Normally, if I were to just eat a yogurt in the morning after working out, I’d be feeling snacky in just an hour or so.  But this yogurt is so filling, I almost forgot to eat lunch a couple of times this week because I just didn’t feel that hungry; I think it’s all the protein honestly.  And how can you not love a yogurt that comes from a company that gives 10% of its profits to charities around the world? 12, 6 ounce containers for $11.79.

V8 Fusion

V8 Fusion

V8 Fusion Strawberry and Banana – They stopped carrying the V8 Fusion that was pomegranate flavored and in individual 12 ounce bottles for some reason; I’m still hoping it makes a comeback.  However, in the interim they have big bottles (46 ounces) of strawberry-banana flavored juice.  Each 8 ounce glass, amazingly, gives you a full serving of vegetables and a full serving of fruit in 120 calories with no added sugars.  It also gives you a pretty healthy dose of vitamins C and A with a decent bit of E too (for those keeping track, those are good antioxidants).  The strawberry and banana flavor is a little more mellow than the pomegranate, certainly not as tart, and perhaps more sweet.  It was much easier to deal with the smaller bottles; much harder for Dave to take to work now.  Of course, since it is the only option because neither of us like regular V8, we’ll just have to get over the bottle size.  4, 46 ounce bottles for $10.99.

KS Cheddar Cheese

KS Cheddar Cheese

Kirkland Signature Sharp Cheddar Cheese – If you’ve been reading my blog for very long, you’ve probably picked up on my love of cheese.  This week I decided to skip anything fancy and get a block of cheddar.  It’s actually for a reciepe and something other would not work as well.  So I picked up the very large block (2 pounds kind of large) of KS cheddar.  It’s as delicious and tasty as all of us would expect their KS brand to be.  It has that nice tang of cheddar and a perfect texture too.  I’m totally sold on it because it tastes great and is, of course, less expensive than a big block of good cheddar normally would be in other stores.  Sliced or shredded this would make incredible grilled cheese sandwiches.  Which wasn’t my original intent with the cheese, but does sound good!  2 pounds for $4.69.

Tags: Coupons · Food Share

1. 1 Rochelle // 2010.12.04 at 8:32 pm

I cannot find V-8 fusion in costco anymore. I’ve tried looking at the Far Rockaway and Westbury, NY locations. I also checked a location in CT and none are carrying it. Anybody know if Costco will get in back in their inventory?

• 2 Kimberly // 2010.12.10 at 8:53 am

@Rochelle, I don’t know about in NY or CT but they definitely had the V8 Fusion at the Kansas City locations when we were there in November. I remember because we discussed that they package it differently now: individual cans and with the pomegranate-blueberry flavor as well as strawberry-banana.

2. 3 ZY // 2009.06.05 at 5:31 pm

the costco cashier always scan the master coupon at my store. So I hope they don’t go back to paper coupon only.

3. 4 Elaine // 2009.06.04 at 2:46 pm

It is the responsibility of the member to have their coupons ready. Even if the cashier doesn’t ask for them. The cashier will scan the coupons the way they are trained to do. You don’t go to Ralphs or other stores and not take your coupons and then expect them to give you the discount do you?

4. 5 Kimberly // 2009.06.02 at 7:35 am

I think I mentioned this in the comments on one of my previous coupon book posts and I know some other readers have mentioned having similar issues at their Costcos. From what I’ve heard there were people taking advantage of the situation and using the coupon discounts more than the allotted limits and this was causing issues with manufacturers. Which seems understandable. I do notice that at least at my Costco, if they scan one coupon you’ll get all of the discounts for coupons; this happened to me recently when I forgot one of the coupons but bought the item anyway.

Also, at my Costco they said that the ‘master coupon’ program was just a trial to see if it could work, and I guess the answer is ‘no’.

5. 6 Miranda // 2009.06.02 at 1:16 am

I know in my store in Washington (where I’m an employee) when we first introduced the master coupon we (well at least I) told members to continue cutting out coupons in case we changed the system again. There was definately a memo with this last round of coupons that we had to take members’ coupons and weren’t allowed to automatically scan the master coupon anymore.

6. 7 Dan // 2009.06.01 at 10:02 pm

I believe that the coupons all still have the same bar code. So all you need to do is give them one coupon (hopefully give them one that is for something you are actually buying :) ) and it will automatically take the discount for any item you’ve bought that’s in the current coupon book.

Same deal for the self-checkout. Scan a single coupon and it automatically discounts all the eligible items.

Seems fair to me–what’s the point of mailing out coupon books if they just automatically give out the discounts to everyone going through the checkout line?

7. 8 Saige // 2009.06.01 at 6:21 pm

Did you know that they changed their policy regarding Coupons? Yesterday we were shopping at our local Costco to take advantage of the last day of the coupon book. Although we had our coupon book with us, my husband checked out while I entertained our 1 1/2 yr old outside. When we got home, I looked at the receipt and realized none of the coupons were applied. I asked my husband about it and he said that although he didn’t offer them up (stopped doing that since they changed the policy) he assumed the guy had scanned the master coupon they’ve been using. He hadn’t mentioned anything, so he didn’t even think about it. I went back today for a price adjustment, and apparently they had complaints from manufacturers for too much couponing, so they had to revert to the old way and tearing out each coupon and handing it over. We’re in Southern California, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet? Did you blog about it yet? I haven’t seen anything, but I may not have read closely :) I think the least they could do if they changed policies is have the cashiers ask customers for coupons. It bugs me that they didn’t make us aware, even though it is our responsibility to review our receipt.