Costco Concierge Technical Support Services

July 31st, 2009 · 23 Comments

Have you purchased a television, computer, projector, camera, iPod or maybe an MP3 player from Costco?  If so, then you can receive free technical support for that product through their Concierge Technical Support program.  You can get expert advice or troubleshooting help and truly get the most out of your product.

As I mentioned in a recent post we were looking at purchasing, and finally did purchase, the JVC Everio HD camcorder through Costco.com.  We haven’t yet received the actual camera, though it should be here today.  However, I did get an email from the Costco Customer Service folks letting me know that if I have any problems or questions of a technical nature, I should call the Concierge Technical Support Center for help, for free help.  I was really impressed with how quickly they sent out the email (or that they sent one at all) and that they are so clear about their free technical support program; some companies act like its a secret that they’d help you out if you had a problem.

This kind of program is especially great for people that don’t have their own live-in geek support, as I have, but still need a little help setting up their new fancy electronics gadgetry.  I know that sometimes when you get a new television, projector, or computer it is so hard to figure out where all the plugs go and what kind of cables you need exactly or how to backup your computer.  It is great to know that Costco will hook you up for free with someone that you can call that won’t judge you, unlike a family member or friend might.  And if setting up your new television is a little too much, they’ll help you purchase the TV Setup service through Costco.com (though you will have to pay for that service).

Even nicer than the setup help perhaps, is the assistance with troubleshooting.  We’ve all had the experience where you’ve had your piece of cool electronics technology do something strange or crazy after like a year (sadly, sometimes less), and you just don’t know what to do.  Now, you’ll be able to reach out to the Costco Concierge Technical Service team to help you figure out how bad it is: terminal or fixable.  And how to fix it or how to proceed with warranty repairs.  Which leads right into them helping you with warranty information or repairs as well, if necessary and still available.  By the way, did you know that Costco automatically extends the manufacturer’s warranty on television, projectors, and computers to two years?

So, when you’re having a problem or just have a question on that new electronics item you bought at Costco, give the Concierge Technical Support team a call.  But make sure before you call that you have your Costco membership number, the item number and purchase date from your receipt, the model number and name of the products, and the serial number at hand.  Unfortunately, for those of you not in the US, this services is currently available only to US members.

I haven’t had a need to use the Concierge Technical Support team, as I said I have my own full-time geek, so I can’t really speak to the quality of this service.  But I did want to make sure that everyone was aware that they are there, if you need them.  I would think that they would be as response and helpful as any of the employees at Costco and keep in tune with the Costco level of quality.

Tags: costco.com · Electronics · Household Items · services Share

1. 1 Tim // 2014.06.09 at 7:56 pm

NOT SO IMPRESSED. My Costco-purchased Dell laptop was malfunctioning. I called Microsoft and determined that the problem was not the OS. So, I called Costco Concierge. After a couple of calls, it was determined that the hard disk was failing. But – here’s where the fun started:
    –They claimed that Dell required an attempt to reset the system (notwithstanding the system’s own report that it’s hard disk was failing) before doing a repair, so they ordered system restore disks.
    – I got the disks, called Costco Concierge, and they told me to go ahead and attempt system restore, then report if there was a problem.
    – There was a problem (malfunctioning hard drive), so I called Costco Concierge.
    – They refused to repair the unit until we ran through the system restore again because their policy said they had to be on the line for the initial steps in system restore. This, of course, was not what they had said previously.
    – An hour later, the system still reported a malfunctioning hard disk.
    In total, it took over four hours to go through the steps required to get Costco Concierge to replace a piece of equipment (hard drive) that retails for less than $140, so probably costs them about half that price. The total cost of the repair is unlikely to exceed $200. Had I known it was going to take over four hours of my time to run tests (in one case, three times) that took up to 50 minutes each, I would have taken this to a computer repair facility and paid, rather than spend so much time with Costco.
    At one point, I asked to speak with a manager about the runaround – which was pushing me inexorably toward the two-year anniversary that would make them no longer responsible for service – and someone came on the line, cheerily announcing himself but making one slip. “I’m here as a formality,” he said, before catching himself. I later asked him for the name of a manager who could do something more than be present as a formality; he said he had no such names.

2. 2 ross // 2014.03.29 at 4:31 pm

Great job , Shellene! Thank you for your help. Samsung , Crystal Surround Air Track (HW-FM45C). With this kind of service, it’s no wounder way the Costco, is always busy…

3. 3 Sue // 2013.12.14 at 2:51 pm

Called to get Office Home and Student 2010 put on my computer. Talked to technician Rebecca. Stayed on the phone with me for over an hour to make sure it all got loaded and worked. Couldn’t have been more happy and impressed. Very personable young lady and a lot of help for complete “computer dummy”.

4. 4 Larry // 2013.12.11 at 8:26 pm

I had a 40 inch Samsung TV go out under warranty. I contacted Costco Concierge and had the great privilege of working with Quentin. After taking a great deal of time to ensure me that the problem would be corrected and that he would track things all the way until I was satisfied, I first resigned myself to a typical customer service runaround – BUT NOT SO! I could not be more pleased with Quentin’s professionalism and communication prowess. He called to update me every couple of days. He worked to replace an unresponsive Samsung repair company who was under performing. HE KEPT HIS WORD AND IN SO DOING, HIS ACTIONS, NOT HIS WORDS, ASSURED ME THAT HE WAS IN THIS WITH ME. Upon obtaining a new repair company, I was immediately contacted by USSI in Melbourne, Fl. My experience with USSI and its Jacksonville technical representative, Earl, was exceptional. USSI knew the whereabouts of parts, the technician was on-time, knowledgeable and friendly. As a retired senior exec for a service industry myself, I am very attuned to the aspects of customer service and the challenges a company such as USSI encounters. In meeting both my needs and expectations, the Costco/Samsung/USSI team definitely set very high standards that others will be hard-pressed to follow. Thank you to all of you!

5. 5 Consumer // 2013.12.07 at 6:45 pm

Honestly, I have never dealt with Costco’s Concierge service but I won’t mind dealing with HP. I bought my touch screen desktop from HP and the computer failed. They took care of my problem and even once they gave me free express shipping. I never paid anything but it was annoying when the computer was broken.

6. 6 Selva // 2013.06.12 at 7:09 pm

Our DELL Laptop got some hardware issue. When we approached costco in our town, they suggested to call Concierge service as our laptop was purchased a year ago. When contacted Concierge service, I was really surprised to see the kind of classic service that I have not seen anywhere else.

The support guy tried to troubleshoot my laptop by guiding me patiently. After a while he tried to hook up DELL support in a conference line but failed. But he created a DELL case for me and reported all the problems I explained. Since I was in a hurry to go some other appointment I had to leave and I asked him if I can call him directly. But he was kind enough to ask me when he can call again to continue to finish the formalities.

Later after an hour he called me and gave me the case numbers to call Dell and he said Dell support will call me to ship a prepaid FedEx packing box to send the laptop to them.

The next day, I got a call from Dell and asked to confirm myaddress. As promised, I got the packing box the next day and I have sent it the same day itself.

Another fact to be admired is that the COSTCO support called me to fix an appointment to see if I have any problems after 10 days. He will call me as we agreed.

One last thing, to mention was that I asked for any possibilities of getting a replacement laptop as my laptop was used for business purpose. It is very difficult to pass 7 to 10 days without my laptop as it is customized, I mean loaded and configured with many applications, for conducting my regular day to day business. The support told me that it is not currently possible. It is okay I think.

I will wait to get my laptop back from Dell and finish this comment fully.

Thanks any how to COSTCO.

7. 7 Ron // 2012.10.01 at 3:51 pm

I bought a HDTV/Monitor. I couldn’t get it working, I called them. After two hours in whitch they messed with the settings on my computer they couldn’t get it working. Now my computer is messed up.
    Ron

8. 8 Lale // 2012.02.20 at 10:50 pm

I thought I was soooo fortunate to have access to Costco’s concierge service when my laptop was disabled by an Alureon Trojan virus. I was wrong. The technician told me that there was no way to do a system restore and maintain my old data (which was false). I took my computer in to a 3rd party store, as my tech suggested, for them to back it up. When I got the computer back, guess what? All my data is STILL THERE. ACCESSIBLE. After I did the restore and paid for it. So be aware that the “experts” may not be as well-versed as you might think.

9. 9 bob // 2011.12.06 at 11:01 pm

Honestly. They ask for a item # or model # because the system is designed to protect your privacy and will only give them electronic devices that you purchased ONLY IF YOU GIVE IT TO THEM. Seriously. There are two hundred people sitting in the same building in Florida who answer all the calls for Costco… for the ENTIRE COUNTRY mind you…and most are pleasant and knowledgeable. They are a THIRD PARTY company that was hired by Costco. They are not Costco nor will they ever be Costco. They do what has to be done for the customer and fight for you. I don’t ever have issues with CCS.

• 10 Besmel // 2013.09.13 at 3:17 pm

they will try to fix and then if they can’t there turn will be over they try to get you a service provider and if the service provider doesn’t call you its not there problem even if you talk to the escalation team, I have been sitting for a week now without a TV waiting for someone to call me and fix my TV so they will not fight for me.

10. 11 John // 2011.08.15 at 10:46 am

I recently bought an HP dv7 laptop from a costco store in NJ. After 3 weeks, the webcam stopped working. I called HP support first and then the costco concierge. Amazingly, the costco concierge was more knowledgeable and helpful than HP, offered additional suggestions and did hands-on remote troubleshooting on my laptop while we were on the phone. It seems that my issue is hardware, which will require my shipping the laptop back, but the costco concierge will handle the process and escalate to a higher level of HP support than I would have otherwise gotten (I take this with a grain of salt). In any case, I’m very pleased with the concierge service, and in addition to the free warranty extension, costco is my new favorite place to buy electronics.

11. 12 Fred // 2011.04.16 at 3:23 am

Darrin & Kimberly: I too am amazed. Darrin purchases the Vizio TV in January 2009. It fails exactly 2 years later in January 2011. Costco service folks tell Darrin that he is one day out of warranty and then postulate that it must be a leap year thing. You both seem to be hot under the collar about this “slick trick” pulled by Costco, but neither of you seem to realize that the most recent leap day was in 2008!!! Sheesh.

The TV was simply one day out of warranty by the time Darrin called. And they ended up taking care of him. Kudos, Costco.

12. 13 Darrin // 2011.01.19 at 3:14 pm

Giving Credit Where Due – I complained to Costco corporate regarding the warranty issue mentioned above. We received a call today from VIZIO to schedule a service visit. Costco Corporate is taking care of my complaint, now that is customer service.

13. 14 Darrin // 2011.01.17 at 1:29 pm

Amazed….2 year Warranty…..Bought a big screen VIZIO TV from Costco two years ago. I have been having issues with the TV screen going out. Decided to call Costco exactly 2 years after I purchased the TV to see if I could have it looked at under warranty. Was amazed when I was told they could not help because my warranty expired the previous day. When I ask how that could be because it was exactly 2 years to the day, I was informed that due to LEAP YEAR my warranty expired a day early. Wow!!! What a way to avoid covering an item….Pretty slick Costco!

• 15 Kimberly // 2011.01.18 at 7:05 am

@Darrin – That is amazing…and not in a good way. I’m really shocked and a little disgusted that that would be the tact that Costco would take in a situation like that. I know that they need to have a cut off date, but the leap year trick seems somehow shady and unscrupulous. It seems that the better thing for customer relations would be to throw in a ‘free’ day as a result of leap year. I’m disappointed in Costco for doing this to you.

14. 16 Maryland Computer Repair // 2010.07.07 at 8:18 am

Fabulous weblog. Cannot wait to check out what you construct next!

15. 17 Costco // 2010.06.13 at 11:54 pm

Costco will always put there customer’s first. Costco Concerig Service is the best technicial support. They provide the best customer support. Yes the return is 90 days, but which store does not have that. I think that people have a stick up there ass. Get over it. Do not forget, there is agent that are working so hard to get you unit repair. Everytime you buy a unit at Costco, look at the m other **** warrantyt hat comes with the unit. Do not get made if your to lazy to read the mother ****** warranty. Your fault.

16. 18 William Russell // 2010.04.02 at 8:29 pm

Disappointed. When you call, they ask you for your costco number and item# of what you purchased. Why do they want the item number when they have no idea of what the item is?
    I called to find out how to activate the blue tooth on my laptop that supported blue tooth. This was
    because I wanted a blue tooth MS mouse to work with my laptop. Well, poor Ra**y told me that blue tooth
    mouse required a receiver that plugs into the USB port. Hey Ra**y, wrong. I finally figured it out myself.
    For instance, a GPS in your car does not require a USB connected receiver to work with your cellphone.
    Strike one.

17. 19 Horst Romani // 2010.03.31 at 1:51 pm

I purchased from Costco a HP Mini 110, and as always I was hoping to receive the service I was used
    to over the last 25 years unfortunately the Costco Concierge service do not provide this service any more, they will try to fix your problem over the phone and if he cannot fix the problem he will ask you to contact the manufacturer and you have to deal with manufacturer and not COSTCO the question I now why should I purchase from COSTCO when they supply the same lousy service by using spin doctors like the Costco Concierge service ? I am very disappointed about COSTCO return policy and service and for sure will think twice to purchase any electronic equipment from COSTCO in CANADA in the future
    I am using my HP 110 for my airplane as a backup GPS and to file cross border flight planes unfortunately there is something wrong with the keyboard or software and the my HP 100 has become very unreliable and useless for my working environment.

18. 20 JohnVT // 2009.11.03 at 9:15 pm

I called about a 18 month old HP laptop that just stopped working. Costco Concierge is the most responsive customer service company around!! They answer the phone immediately, identify themselves right away, take the relevant information, get the ok to make the service call, and call HP while I’m on the phone. As stated above, HP handled the service as if it was still under the manufacturer’s warranty, and the laptop was returned quickly in working condition.
    Costco will get my electronics business!!

19. 21 Dee // 2009.10.08 at 1:06 pm

I bought a new Hp on Sept 28, 2009 – It was not working – I called the Costco Concierge and had great service – I was pleased not to be in India – instead it was Fred from Florida. He was extremely professionsal and knowledgable. It resulted in a bad hard drive. I took it back to Costco and without hesitation I received a new one on October 7, 2009. I am so pleased now andwill recommend Costco and their service

20. 22 Seattleite // 2009.09.07 at 1:15 am

I bought 2 refurbished HP laptops for Christmas 8 months ago for my teens. I have had 4 major issues with them, and Costco Concierge Svc has been EXCELLENT. They contact HP for me while I’m on the phone, make sure that HP promises to fix the problem, and then call me back in a few days to make sure that the problem has been solved. The first time, the power cord broke. I called at 10 am, and a new cord was delivered at 4 pm the same day. Two other issues involved replacing a faulty hard drive by shipping back the computer, twice. HP sent out a prepaid box with preprinted labels, shipping tape, packing materials, and a phone number to call for pickup when I finished packing. It was shipped back repaired in only 4 or 5 days. It was the most painless computer repair process I’ve ever had to deal with. I somehow doubt think HP would have been so responsive if they didn’t have the Costco Concierge Service overseeing their warranties. I would recommend buying a computer through Costco only for their Concierge Service alone! And I would never buy a refurb computer without the Concierge Service to back it up.

21. 23 Cordelia // 2009.08.18 at 10:03 am

Just to let you know, the call center for the technical supposrt is located in Boise ID!!! Which means it has NOT been outsourced to a third workd counrty where you have a hard time talking to a man named “Bob”. And I know the people whom work there in that department and they are VERY knowledgeable great peolple! Way too go Coctco for putting customer service 1st and knowing what the customer wants!!!