Guest Post: Some of My Costco Favorites

September 10th, 2009 · 9 Comments

[This guest post is brought to you by one of my long time readers, Stella.  She does her shopping at a couple different Costco locations around Kansas City.  She decided to share her reviews for some of her favorite items to pick up at Costco.]

Two, 2.5lb Jars of Cashews for $34.99: One snack I love and like to think provides a higher nutritional value than my next product listed is nuts.  I am nuts about nuts!  These cashews are to die for!  The actual cashew is huge, just a handful conquers that old snack urge.  Mike and I keep them around not only because they are delicious, but the container keeps them fresh and they last quite a while.  One evening, I had to go to bunko and it was after a particularly busy week at work.  I did not prepare a dish as was requested, and was stumped looking in the cabinet for any desirable snack. There standing out like a “take me, take me!” were the cashews.  I hated being a schmuck showing up without a homemade dish, but the cashews were a giant hit with the ladies.  I brought about half of the container and they were all munched up.  The two disappointments were that I lost at bunko that night and Mike couldn’t believe I took his beloved cashews!

45oz Bag of Plain M&M’s for $12.19: This is our at-home movie-night snack.  Okay, it is just our all around general snack, movie or no movie, we love us some M&M’s!  Of course, the best time is the first time when busting open that giant bag’o M&M’s: the initial smell, all of those colors and that first bowl full is the best.  What makes that first time last is the convenient zip top bag the M&M’s come in!  This bag is huge and seems to last for months; we have a small serving size bowl we dip into the bag to retrieve our little candy coated luxury.  It is always nice to find a sweet treat that both people enjoy with the same enthusiasm.  Oddly enough, we do not pig out on this colossal bag of sweets, but just go dive into the bag occasionally.  Because it is so huge, it is also convenient to portion out a small baggie for lunches or just a quick snack on the run.  But the best thing about M&M’s is that EVERYBODY loves them and the second best thing, they are also available at Costco in Peanut, too!

TruNature CoQ10, 90 softgels for $19.99  and Omega-3 Kirkland Coated Fish Oil for $16.49:
Helps maintain and support heart and vascular health.:  I started on CoQ10 several years ago with a regiment of Omega-3 and a daily women’s vitamin.  I prefer this product purchased at Costco, because it is 150 mg, compared to the usual brands at Wal-mart and other drug stores that only have 75 mg.  CoQ10 provides a little energy kick and helps keep the ticker going strong.  If used with other vitamins I am hoping to maintain my youth a little longer.  I also like the the Kirkland brand Omega-3, which has 200 mg of Fish Oil and 684 mg Omega-3 Fatty Acids to help maintain and support heart and vascular health. The size is like a vat’o vitamins.  This is a good buy and again more milligrams than in the comparable brand.  With this Omega-3 there is a special coating on it that helps reduce that fishy taste sometimes associated with Omega-3.  The two supplements can be stored in your bathroom and come in nice containers that maintain freshness.  Although, I have read other suggestions that mention if you store the Omega-3 in the freezer and take it frozen it really helps in eliminating the fishy taste.

Costco shopping is a true adventure for the eclectic shoppers like Mike and me who purchase candy and vitamins during the same excursion!  We will save our love of hot dogs and vodka for the next blog post we contribute and we might even throw in our love of the sliced and packaged fresh pineapple.  Yes, our shopping list is unusual, but our love of Costco makes sense!  Okay, gotta run and see what is in my Costco coupon flyer!  ‘Til next time, happy shopping, my Costco buds!

Tags: Food · Guest Posts · Health & Beauty Share

1. 1 Lillie // 2011.12.05 at 6:01 pm

I am looking for a lox and cream cheese pinwheels platter that Costco usually carries. Does anyone know the brandname, etc. so I can help them help me at Costco in finding it?

2. 2 Robin // 2009.10.08 at 10:50 pm

I buy Costco’s olive oil. I use it sparingly, so it lasts a long time.

I don’t buy the raw salmon, the lox and smoked salmon are ready to eat. It’s odd that I love the smoked, but can’t eat fresh salmon.

To save a few calories, I usually oven baked the chicken fingers. Or for a splurge, heat them up, then put them on a section of Italian bread add some sauce (I prefer pizza sauce, which I get in the regular grocery) and some mozzarella. Then put it back in the oven to melt the cheese, and you’ve got an easy chicken parmigiana sandwich. Season with garlic powder, a little oregano or whatever you’d enjoy.

3. 3 Stella // 2009.10.08 at 1:15 pm

thanks for the great tips Robin! I love the big salmon fillet at costco it is the one i usually buy. My new best purchase was the Kirkland vegetable oil. I made fries and chicken strips last night and they were awesome and i think it was the oil. and they were not oily at all. If you ever need a large amout of oil, that is the way to go and it seems like I hardly used any, there was alot left.

thanks, Paula

4. 4 Robin // 2009.10.08 at 3:43 am

For myself, I usually take the lox or the smoked salmon that is sold as two pieces (one with peppercorns) and have it as my ‘meat’ with salad.

The smoked salmon slices (I think that’s what it’s called on the package at Costco) is very different from Nova/lox and it’s what it also called ‘baked salmon’ in NYC.

I’ve seen pictures of lox placed on crackers with capers, but personally, I’ve never tried anything fancy.

A few times I made a ‘lox spread’, which is very simple and I learned from my mother. Simply shred the lox, mix with cream cheese, a little onion powder for flavor, and a little milk to soften the mixture. Use a food processor or blender to blend it all into a spread. You don’t need it perfectly smooth.

Either fish can also be served at breakfast.

It’s the Acme lox I buy at Costco, and they have a few recipes on their site.

When looking at recipes online, Nova/Lox is the pink thin sliced salmon that is cold smoked.

Baked Salmon (smoked salmon) comes in a slab and it hot smoked (baked)

Looking at receipes remembered that I have had lox served as a canape with butter on bread and a garnish.

5. 5 Stella // 2009.10.07 at 4:35 pm

So Robin, how do you serve the smoked salmon? In the midwest we are not big on the lox and cream cheese, so I wondered if you have a good hor d orve idea? I like the hummus too, but with my pita and crudite`.

haven’t tried the wraps but i love the croissant sandwich with the salad two people can share, its awesome and huge…

One favorite I left out is the kirkland chicken breast, each is individually wrapped and they are a nice healthy portion.

6. 6 Robin // 2009.09.18 at 1:41 am

My usually ‘must haves’ include

Hannah’s Humus – I often put some on my salad rather than use dressing.

Smoked Salmon – Not the lox (though I like that too) but the thick slices that come two to a package. It’s the same as the ‘baked salmon’ I grew up with in NY, and it’s so good and only about $10 a pound. (I found a site online that charges $22 lbs. )

Wraps or low carb tortillas.

7. 7 JL // 2009.09.10 at 7:06 pm

Our local Costco (I think) only has a single big container (don’t know how big it is), not twin packs. I love cashews, but I wish Costco had an unsalted version. Nuts are a great snack, but I am trying to cut back on the sodium. I have bought the cashews before and washed the salt off of them, but it is a tad inconvenient.

Instead, I have switched over to almonds, which come raw and unsalted. I pop a batch into the microwave to roast slightly and that lasts a while. I suppose the roasting actually takes more time and effort than rinsing off the cashews, but it makes me feel more productive.

In any case, Costco, if you are listening, please add unsalted nuts to your inventory.

8. 8 Nabeela // 2009.09.10 at 12:28 pm

Yikes. I see now it is TWO packs of 2.5 lbs…that would make i 5 lbs total….it makes sense now :)

9. 9 Nabeela // 2009.09.10 at 12:27 pm

Whoa! 34.99 for a 2.5 lb pack of cashews??!! That’s super expensive. Are these by Kirkland brand?