Things I Wish Costco Would Stock

September 17th, 2009 · 50 Comments

Obviously, I am a big fan of Costco and have been shopping there for a number of years.  In that time, I’ve seen many products, including some of our favorites, come and go.  At first when they replace something that I really love, or just get rid of it, I’m so sad and a little frustrated/angry too.  But, they usually get something else in that I like too.  Of course, there are a few things that are on the seasonal cycle, so they are there for a few months and then gone.   There are also some items that Costco has never carried that we really, really wish they would.

I’m not sure how Costco makes their decisions on what to stock or what to get rid of entirely.  Have you ever noticed that some of the things that seem to be selling well don’t necessarily stick around?  So, it can’t just solely be based on what sells well.  I do know that sometimes they have issues with manufacturer’s where they are just unable to keep Costco stocked with something and Costco has to quit carrying the item.

Just about every time we are in Costco, one of us will say ‘I wish Costco had/still had’ something.  So, I’ve made a little list of things that I wish I could buy at Costco.  Some of these are things that they used to carry and have discontinued and some are just wishful thinking on my part.  But all of them are things that I really would like to see on the shelves at my Costco.

1. White mini-LED Christmas Lights – Dave and I have been hoping to see these at Costco for a couple of years now.  They have the multi-colored ones and I think this year they have them in both mini and large sizes.  And they have regular mini-lights in white too, but never the LED.  Does no manufacturer make white mini-LED light strings?  Or does Costco just think that no one would possibly want those?  I don’t know, but if they ever have them I’ll buy several strands, like 15 probably.
  2. Sabra Roasted Red Pepper or Chipotle Hummus – I know we’re not the only ones who want this to make a return trip to Costco.  This was something that they had at our Costco for a while and they looked to be selling it at a fairly good pace too.  And then, they just stopped having it at all.  We were so sad because it is yummy and adds a nice kick to the regular hummus.  They’ve only had it back once or twice in the last couple of years.  One time was just a few weeks ago, but by the time we got there it was all sold out!  Which of course made us so sad to have missed it.   But this is definitely something that I wish they would bring back on a permanent basis.
  3. Walker’s Chocolate Shortbread Cookies – If you were one of the lucky people that bought these last year when they were in stores, you know why I want them back.  These are awesome!  They combine the best of chocolate with the best of shortbread, for an incredibly delicious and rich cookie.  We loved them, and they had them for a few months and then they were gone.  I’m hoping that these are a seasonal item that are only available in the colder months (hey, you wouldn’t want that delicious chocolate to melt) of the year.  I guess I’ll know in a few months if they’ll be back or not.
  4. Donuts – I love a good donut and I love the Costco bakery items.  So, wouldn’t it be great if the bakery would make donuts?  You know that they would be good sized and delicious.  I don’t care if they are the cake kind or not, if they are filled or not, or if they are just plain sugared donuts.  I’m not picky, I’d just love to see some Costco donuts.
  5. Regular French Fries or Tater Tots – The only French fries that we have at our Costco are the Alexia sweet potato fries.  They’re good, but not the only fries that I want.  What really annoys me about us only have the sweet potato fries, is that several people I know that aren’t in Austin have regular fries in their Costco freezer section.  So, why can’t we share in the love for regular fries too?  I’d even go the tater tot route if that could happen.  There’s just something about crispy potato products that I love.  And the same people that make the sweet potato fries make a variety of other types of potato products – regular fries to waffle cut – that it would seem Costco could stock.
  6. V8 Fusion juice in single serving bottles – Costco used to have these in the pomegranate and blueberry flavor but then they replaced them with the big bottles of strawberry and banana.  It’s not really the flavor that I care about, honestly.  I just want the much more convenient 12 ounce bottles that they had previously.  They took up much less space in the fridge and were easier for Dave to take for lunch.  Not to mention, they were already portioned out so I didn’t have to think about how big my serving was and I didn’t have to dirty a glass to have my juice.  No one I’ve talked to at our Costco seems to know why they made the change either.
  7. Power Bar Variety Pack without Peanut Butter flavor – Dave really likes Power Bars but is not a fan of the peanut butter flavor.  And I can understand that because it kind of tastes (to me) like an old, dirty ashtray smells.  Unfortunately, the variety pack that Costco has always includes the peanut butter.  It would be better if they would have just single flavor boxes even.  But no, if you want to get your bargain priced Power Bars you are going to have to choke down the peanut butter flavored ones too.  And I can understand Dave’s frustration, even though I don’t like Power Bars, they do the same thing with the variety pack of Luna bars.
  8. More Mac Software – Sadly, just about all the software that they sell at Costco or Costco.com is geared towards PC users.  If you’ve got a Mac though, you get a sad little collection that includes such favorites as QuickBooks.  There are a few other titles that you can find at Costco.com: Roxio, Toast 10, Parallels, and some kind of Star Trek comic book thing.  There’s also some foreign language and student learning type of stuff.  All in all though, not very much compared to the PC software.  The weirdest thing, is the lack of Adobe stuff which they sell for the PC but not the Mac.  Why would they only sell the PC stuff for these graphics programs?  I can’t be one of the few Costco shoppers that also uses a Mac, can I?

I could go on and on here, for at least another 10 items, just off the top of my head.   Everyone who shops at Costco probably has a list like this too.  I know that the biggest frustration people have with Costco is the way that they change their inventory and get rid of something you really love.  And why does it seem that it is always when you have started to feel like they’ll be keeping the item around for quite some time?  So, what’s on your list?

Tags: costco.com · Electronics · Food · Household Items · Office Share

1. 1 Janet // 2012.04.25 at 5:40 pm

So glad to know I’m not alone. There are several products I’d love to see come back. Several years ago Costco used to sell a Mexican dip that was phenomenal. If only I could remember who made it, I’d go to their website and order it direct. Can anyone help? Also up until a few years ago they used to sell a spice bunt cake that was to die for. It always came out in the fall sometime. It has disappeared as well and never come back. Also we were always big fans of the blue tortilla chips. They too are no where to be found anymore. if anyone can recall the brand names for these products, I would be so grateful. Thanks

• 2 Frank // 2015.04.08 at 8:15 pm

Did anyone ever find that cheese dip brand? Square container right? We loved it too. Can’t find the brand either, SAMs club carries one that does not compare to this one….I seem to recall it as wild bills or buffalo bills….Google hasn’t turned up anything yet.

2. 3 Aaron // 2011.06.17 at 1:49 am

I honestly think I know Costco better than anyone in terms of what they carry or at least at the nearby one to me in NYC. I love everything about Costco but I do agree how many times you walk away in regret that there was something they should carry or stopped carrying. The Costco near me on 117th street on the east side in NYC used to have a really good selection on clothing for men. I liked it when they carried the 7 for mankind jeans since at first I felt $100 is a huge waste of money for jeans but once I lost enough weight to wear the pair I bought I realized there better quality jeans than any pair I’ve ever bought and when I looked online around for them, even Amazon has them cheapest at around $190 a pair.

So thanks Costco, I still get almost all my things from you but I don’t appreciate how you’ve basically made at this location all your clothing only for women.

3. 4 Sylvia // 2010.10.23 at 12:45 pm

our Costco has been carrying quinoa for the last couple of years.

4. 5 Sarah // 2010.10.23 at 12:22 am

I wish that Cosco would stock very large cans (resturant style) beef chili, no beans and Quinea (short grain with tons of protien) I have to order from Amazon..com just to get this grain. The Utah Coscos carry it. You would wonder with all the CA veggans out here that you could find it in a big store like Cosco.

5. 6 Sylvia // 2010.08.20 at 12:18 am

Rwanda coffee!!! It was hyped in their magazine several months ago; I got some and was entranced! It is the best coffee I’ve ever had. Now you can’t find it anywhere. REALLY sad.

6. 7 Nancy2 // 2010.08.04 at 2:34 pm

I’d love Costco to restock Dark chocolate covered pomogranite ice cream on a stick (don’t recall the name).

Other wishes: frozen raw organic cat food, raw organic grass fed beef steaks, organic Cheerios, organic steel cut oats in 5 lb bulk container (not individual serving packages), Lysine 500 mg in capsules (not tablets & no other added ingredients), Edan organic tomato sauce and other Edan organic tomato products (because Edan uses BPA-free cans), organic Sweet butter, organic hot dogs, organic ice cream, organic hummus.

• 8 Kimberly // 2010.08.05 at 5:26 am

They really make organic Cheerios? I’ve never heard of those before.

7. 9 Lemuel Compton // 2010.02.16 at 5:17 pm

with we leave it to you to decide.

8. 10 Kimberly // 2009.10.14 at 1:20 pm

My Costco actually had the white LED Christmas light strings this week! So, on my list #1 and #2 have now shown up at my Costco. However, I’m still waiting for the other items on my list to make an appearance.

9. 11 Robin // 2009.10.14 at 12:46 am

I want more variety for cats.

I see everything from pull toys to pigs ears for dogs, and cats get one brand of canned food, one ‘cheap’ name brand dry nibble, chicken flavor Kirkman kibble and kitty litter. I had to buy kibble at BJ’s at the cat colony I adopted got bored with the Kirkman kibble after their second bag.

What I really want to see is snacks for cats. Whisker Lickins, Whiskas Temptations or even The Good Recipe. Cats deserve treats too.

10. 12 Bob Lucas // 2009.10.12 at 8:13 pm

Here in CT the stores carried Oberto regular jerky and then switched to Pcific Gold years ago. (I think Oberto owns Pacific Gold) I grew up on Oberto and would love to see a variety of Oberto styles here as in the PCN stores.
    I also have a real problem now with the accepting of American Express only (occasional big purchase) since AmEx arbitrarily raised my interest rate in anticipation of rational cc rules. I always pay on time and always more than minimum.
    Nice site.

11. 13 Candace // 2009.10.12 at 5:59 pm

I want the Pacific Foods roasted red pepper and tomato soup! It used to be in a six pack carton for about $10, which was an awesome price. It is over $3 a carton at other stores, so Costco’s price was half of other stores.

I justed my local Costco, and they said they replaced it with an organic tomato & basil soup in the refrigerated section. I just bought it this weekend, but is more expensive than the Pacific Foods soup. Come back!

Also, I love the Ivar’s clam chowder. I think it is seasonal, so maybe it will be back soon.

12. 14 rachael // 2009.10.01 at 6:09 am

i want Costco to have :

1. Nobby’s beef jerky
    2. Donuts
    3. Unsented products
    4. More baby products
    5. shoes
    6. Huggies nappie pants

Please make this happen…

13. 15 Jeri // 2009.09.28 at 9:44 pm

I wish Costco would carry Clorox bleach pens again.

14. 16 Kimberly // 2009.09.28 at 6:54 am

We haven’t seen the return on the small-sized V8 Fusion cans yet, but I’ll definitely have to keep an eye out for them.

15. 17 Regina // 2009.09.27 at 1:21 pm

I forgot UTZ potato chips

16. 18 Regina // 2009.09.27 at 1:16 pm

I wish they would carry

Olay Pro X line
    DVD RW’s-the Costco I go to has only DVD + or- R
    Biolage hair products
    Mitchum clear gel deodorant

17. 19 Emily // 2009.09.24 at 6:54 pm

Hey, I was at Costco today and they had samples of V8 Fusion – in soda-sized cans! The flavor we tried was blueberry pomegranate.

18. 20 Heather // 2009.09.23 at 9:39 pm

@Dave: Thanks; I live in a suburb of Chicago and haven’t seen it yet but will keep my eyes peeled as they seem to be stocking more health food items.

19. 21 Dave // 2009.09.23 at 3:35 am

@Heather: Was just at our North Austin Costco yesterday and saw that they had the Agave Nectar for the first time in a long time. Perhaps yours has it now too?

20. 22 Jennifer // 2009.09.22 at 5:54 pm

Hi! I have not been to your site in a couple of months, but I found this to be an interesting topic. I have often filled out their suggestion cards, but I have never seen the products that I have requested.

The following are items that I wish would return to Costco:
    1. Arm and Hammer Cat Litter
    2. Pumpkin + Chocolate Chunk muffins with the white icing drizzled on top (have not seen in their bakery since January 2008)
    3. Chocolate Chunk + Pecan muffins with the cinnamon sprinkled on top (last seen in their bakery in November 2008)
    4. Tuscan bean salad – was in the deli refrigerated section for about 2-3 weeks in May 2009 and disappeared
    5. more books and dvd’s – sad to say the quantity pales in comparison to Sam’s Club
    6. dark chocolate M&M’s
    7. the same pizza in the food court available in the refrigerated section to take home and bake
    8. clothes for females in the 20-30 year old range – the majority are either for little girls or older women – with the exception of the jeans
    9. purses that we can afford – I remember when they used to sell Esprit purses
    10. dog cookie treats (I think they were from the Dog Barkery – carob chip, peanut butter, and one other flavor)
    11. the Santa Fe Chicken salad (similar in packaging to the Chinese chicken salad) that they sold several years ago in the refrigerated deli section

Things I wish they would make or start to sell:

1. Kirkland chocolate soy milk in the quart size containers like the original and vanilla that they offer now in 12 packs
    2. Emerald chocolate coated almonds
    3. chocolate chip, chocolate, and jalapeno bagels
    4. 1/4 sheet cakes
    5. 10 packs of cupcakes
    6. brownies in their bakery (used to sell them a long time ago with chocolate frosting and nuts on top)

I could go on and on – but I am not complaining as I love and am very addicted to Costco since 1987!

21. 23 Sue // 2009.09.22 at 11:46 am

Wish Costco would sell this wonderful healthy snack of almond crunch that came in a “Big” bag (snacks were cut in small triangles)that a dad created for his his healthy kids. I found it last spring in So. Calif. Costco and it was awesome! Never saw it again…very sad

22. 24 Heather // 2009.09.21 at 8:55 pm

I wish they would carry agave nectar.

23. 25 amy // 2009.09.21 at 2:47 pm

I, too, have lived through the heartbreak of falling in love with a product at Costco only to have it abrubtly leave. No warning signs – not even a “it wasn’t you, it was me” note – just gone. And yet I return hopefully week after week. Tried seeking help…until I ran into my therapist at Costco – looking for the Raspberry Chipotle marinade that was discontinued (at least at our location). So, I’ve learned to embrace change and have found new passions (Jack’s Special Salsa and Abuelita Tortilla Chips) to help me get over each loss (Lucini Sauces). I’ve learned to stockpile items that are only highlighted during roadshows (Mayorga Mocha Java coffee beans). And I’ve learned (2400 cotton rounds later) that Costco.com sometimes offers items not found in my store – though sometimes in larger ‘bulk’ quantities!