Funny Cheese-Cake-A-Burger on Costco.com

October 6th, 2009 · 16 Comments

It’s been a while since I posted about something funny I ran across on Costco.com but this was so peculiar, yet fun, that I felt I needed to share it with everyone.  And hey, maybe it will give you an idea of a gift to get for that special burger eating someone in your life.

A cheesecake that looks like a burger

A cheesecake that looks like a burger

As you may know, if you’ve done some browsing of Costco.com, they sell a pretty decent variety of food items.  You can find everything from a case of Thai fish sauce to caviar to smoked salmon now.  And they also have a very wide variety of cakes and cookies and dessert type items, which is where I found the Cheese-Cake-A-Burger.  This little cheesecake that looks like a full-fledged cheeseburger is brought to you by the good folks at Elegant Cheese Cakes; remarkably this is their only item at Costco.com .  The burger cheesecake is both clever and a little weird to me.  Is there a really big market for these types of things?  Otherwise, why would they be selling it on Costco.com?  Or maybe someone at Costco is like me and thought that this was so funny, it should be shared.  But it does have a certain appeal that I can’t really explain.  And I’d love to see it in person.

However, I’m not so sure that I’m willing to shell out $99.99 just to give it a go.  And Dave was a little repulsed by it, especially when I told him that the cheesecake part was citrus flavored.  That’s right, it’s not weird enough that they made a burger out of Belgian chocolate and cheesecake but they chose to make it citrus flavored cheesecake.  Why?  I don’t know what the thinking there is, but I would have thought that just regular flavored cheesecake would have been a better, more appropriate, option.  But you do have to be impressed with the skill it must take to create the very true to life burger, complete with lettuce, onion, and sesame seed bun. Wouldn’t this be a funny item to serve for dessert the next time you’re having people over for a cookout?

Here’s the description of the burger cake, in case you’re interested in getting one of these shipped to you for your next party:

Elegant Cheese Cakes has taken their citrus cheesecake on a shortbread crust and camouflaged this as America’s favorite food with all the condiments. Hand crafted with Belgian chocolate, everything is edible, even the patty, lettuce, tomato and onion!

• Belgian chocolate shaped as a cheese burger
  • Filled with citrus cheesecake on a shortbread crust
  • Serves approximately 8 – 10 people
  • Approx. cake dimensions: 7” diameter, 4” tall

So, I’m curious, has anyone tried this? Maybe the citrus flavored burger cheesecake isn’t as weird as I think?  If you had to pick a cheesecake flavor for your cheeseburger look-a-like, what would you choose?

Tags: costco.com · Food · Holidays Share

1. 1 Pauline // 2009.10.09 at 1:24 am

Kimberly,
    Just to clarify, that exact picture is not of my cupcakes, but the picture that inspired me to make them myself. I have photos of mine but have not uploaded them onto the computer yet. I used colored buttercream frosting to make all the condiments, it was ridiculously simple to put this together, and fun too!

2. 2 Robin // 2009.10.08 at 10:45 pm

You can make a hot dog cake out of a loaf cake and a few Twinkies.

I could see it being cute at a BBQ.

3. 3 Wallace // 2009.10.08 at 9:46 pm

They obviously got the idea from the Simpsons episode where Marge makes desserts that look like hot dogs!!

4. 4 Stella // 2009.10.08 at 1:25 pm

I think the $99 burger is way out there so, yeah, I’m out on the $500 and $2000 cheesecakes. I cook alot for friends and am always amazed that it took me so much time to prepare food and then they scarf it down in no time flat! So ugh, no, I am not paying $99 for same said freinds to scarf down a cake….They’ll have to settle for the Jello cheesecake version? :)

5. 5 Kimberly // 2009.10.08 at 8:49 am

Pauline, I’ve been meaning to say how cute your cupcakes are! I can see why they were a big hit at your party. How’d you make the ‘condiments’ like the lettuce? Were they fondant or marzipan or colored white chocolate? Very cute!

6. 6 Kimberly // 2009.10.08 at 8:48 am

I’m with you Robin, $500 or $2,000 for a cheesecake is out of my price range! Even for little edible works of art. The last time I checked out anything but the pumpkin pies at Costco they still had the summer type cheesecakes, but the fall flavors should be there soon, I’d think.

7. 7 Robin // 2009.10.08 at 3:57 am

I looked at the link Erin posted and decided the burger cheese cake isn’t that weird compared to the $500 fish shaped cheesecake. They don’t list what flavor that comes in.

There work is amazing but their cakes are too rich for my blood. The Tackle Box cake starts at $2,000. EEK!

This reminds me, shouldn’t Costco have a pumpkin cheese cake coming out soon?

8. 8 David // 2009.10.07 at 7:32 pm

I’ve had something similar to this at the Burger Bar in the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Buns make of cheesecake, a patty made of a brownie, catsup made from strawberry, and thin slices of papaya as the cheese. Yum.

9. 9 Nabeela // 2009.10.07 at 4:51 pm

Colleen is right. A lot of cheesecakes are citrus flavored(by either zest or juice)…so it’s not all weird. But the shape sure is!

10. 10 Emily // 2009.10.07 at 11:18 am

This is so weird. I posted it on my facebook page … it’s obviously getting a lot of social networking coverage, so who knows, maybe it will be a big item. ;o)

11. 11 Emily // 2009.10.06 at 8:10 pm

A couple weeks ago the same company had one in the shape of a gift-wrapped stacked box, but maybe the Burger cake was a better seller?? lol

12. 12 Colleen // 2009.10.06 at 3:54 pm

Most regular New York-style cheesecake has lemon zest in it, so a citrus cheesecake isn’t all that weird really. But how would you cut that thing with a big slab of chocolate in the middle?

I’ve seen burger-shaped birthday cake at the Albertson’s supermarket around here. I’m sure one showing up in the Costco bakery case is just a matter of time. :-)

13. 13 Pauline // 2009.10.06 at 10:18 am

Here’s a picture of some burger cupcakes that I thought were so cute, I had to try making them myself. It was fun and they were such a hit with everyone!

14. 14 Tweets that mention Funny Cheese-Cake-A-Burger on Costco.com | Addicted To Costco! -- Topsy.com // 2009.10.06 at 9:59 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kurt. Kurt said: Addicted – Funny Cheese-Cake-A-Burger on Costco.com http://bit.ly/7IteY […]

15. 15 Kimberly // 2009.10.06 at 9:44 am

That’s hilarious! I can see it for Father’s Day. But what mom is sitting around thinking “I really hope this is the year I get a big cheesecake that looks like a burger”?

16. 16 Erin // 2009.10.06 at 9:42 am

Interestingly enough, the baker’s website recommends it for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day celebrations, but not for summertime festivities.