This Week at Costco – November 1, 2009

November 7th, 2009 · 20 Comments

Well, this is my 280th post and marks the two year anniversary of my blog!  And it still amazes me that I can keep finding so many great things to write about at Costco, and rarely do I repeat myself.  How much does Costco rock?  This week I found a few items to try that we hadn’t tried before, including a new mango juice box thing that is great.

Fully Cooked Angus Patties

Fully Cooked Angus Patties

Quick ‘N Eat Fully Cooked Angus Beef Patties – If you’ve read my blog for a while, you’ve probably noticed this trend to try to find things that Dave can easily take to work for lunch.  He’s lucky because they do have a nice kitchen where he has access to a fridge and freezer, plus a microwave and toaster oven, which means he’s got better choices available to him.  Of course, things that don’t take too much time or trouble to make and actually taste good, is the real sticking point.  A few weeks ago my mom told me that she was at Costco and tried these pre-cooked burgers that were so good she bought some and thought we should try them too.  She swears they are so good and taste so much like they just came off the grill that you wouldn’t know the difference if you didn’t see how they were warmed up.  And she’s right, they are delicious.  Dave took them to work and uses the microwave to heat them up for just a couple of minutes and has a nice tasty burger that tastes like it came off a grill instead of out of the microwave.  He says that the only downfall is that they seem a little greasy.  However, my mom always warms hers up in a skillet, which takes just slightly longer at around 5 minutes, and doesn’t have the grease issue.  They also say on the box that you can grill them, which will also take around 5 minutes.  The nice thing is that they are actually meat; just meat, water, spices, salt, and natural flavorings as the only ingredients.  In the box at Costco you get 12 patties, each about 113 grams.  Now, these are still burgers, so they’re not a low-fat option.  Each serving has 280 calories with 170 from fat, that’s 19 grams of fat, and there’s also 350 mg of sodium.  Of course, there’s also 24 grams of protein.  And of course, they are delicious and still probably healthier than something you’ll get at a fast food place.  12 patties for $13.29 .  Item #: 189043.

Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

Golden Legacy Select Oven Browned Turkey Breast – Here’s another great lunch option, of course, it doesn’t have to be just for lunch.  If you’re sick of eating lunch meat and stuff that is sliced paper thin and doesn’t seem to have much of a relationship to actual meat, this might be for you.  This is a real breast of turkey that is in a big whole piece.  So, you have to slice your own pieces off, just like at Thanksgiving, which means you can have thick slices or thin slices, whatever catches your fancy.  It’s really great tasting meat too.  But honestly, I just like that it has a meat texture and isn’t loaded with salt like most lunch meats.  It’s 99% fat free, no trans fat, no artificial ingredients and minimally processed; all of which sounds great to me.  I have only used this to make sandwiches or just eat cold.  However, they do say that you can heat it up in the oven too.  Seriously, anything you would do with your leftover turkey after Thanksgiving, you could easily do with this one too.  But like I said, I haven’t tried anything fancier than a sandwich, and it really is excellent for that task.  3.09 pounds for $13.57; $4.39 per pound.  Item #: 37760.

Brazil Gourmet Mango Juice

Brazil Gourmet Mango Juice

Brazil Gourmet Mango Juice – If you’re looking for some mango juice that is still delicious and way more portable than the Langer’s Mango Nectar, you’re in luck.  This is the first time I’ve seen this at Costco, so I’m guessing it is very new.  The juice is really yummy: thick, and just the right amount of natural mango sweetness.  Of course, the really cool thing is that it comes in these little 11 ounce boxes that you can take with you anywhere; just peel off the tab and drink.  Each single serving pack has a nice amount of fruit too: 1.5 servings of mango and 1.5 servings of apple.  For me, this makes a great substitute for the V-8 Fusion single serving bottles that Costco no longer carries.  Oh, did I mention that there is no sugar added?  The little box that they come in is called a Tetra Pak and is , according to the package, one of the most efficient beverage containers made today.  It’s made from recycled paper, plastic, and aluminum and blocks out air and light to better preserve nutrients and flavor.  And of course, when you’re done drinking from it, you can recycle it too.  15, 11 ounce boxes for $11.99.  Item #: 399519.

Progresso Light Chicken & Beef Soups

Progresso Light Chicken & Beef Soups

Progresso Light Chicken and Beef Favorites – This is another lunchtime item for Dave.  You can’t beat soup for a super quick, and healthy lunch.  This pack at Costco has 4 cans of chicken noodle soup and 4 beef pot roast soup.  The beef isn’t so great according to Dave’s taste test.  It’s not that it is just downright bad, just that you expect more from it.  It doesn’t have a whole lot of flavor and is rather a thin soup.  However, Dave said that the chicken noodle is quite good.  Now, you probably noticed the ‘light’ in the name and that comes from the fact that these soups have 33% fewer calories than regular ready to eat soups; 80 calories per serving for the beef, and 70 calories for the chicken.  And if you’re following a Weight Watchers plan, these are just 1 little point.  They do have not an insignificant amount of sodium though, at around 28% of your RDA.  But for Dave’s main purpose of having a quick and filling lunch, these are great because they are ready to go, you don’t need to add anything to them except for heat.  18.5 ounce cans for $11.69.  Item #: 297029.

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 Tana // 2013.09.17 at 10:53 pm

Have waited all summer for Quick and Eat angus burgers. Still none. MY Costco told me they would have them for summer. What’s up?

2. 2 This Week at Costco – May 29, 2011 | Addicted To Costco! // 2011.06.04 at 5:39 am

[...] ‘N Eat Fully Cooked Angus Beef Patties – (Review reposted from November 1, 2009) If you’ve read my blog for a while, you’ve probably noticed this trend to try to find things [...]

3. 3 justhinkin // 2010.05.11 at 4:28 am

The angus burgers “Quick n’ Eat” seem to come and go from Austin and Dallas area Costco’s. They are extermely popular with virtually everyone I know, and I certainly wouldn’t cook one when these are available …. DELICIOUS. Why Costco works like this I don’t know. More variety, I guess, but they should stick with real winners.

They come from what seems a fairly small outfit in Oklahoma, so supply may be a problem.

4. 4 Jim // 2010.01.01 at 4:33 pm

Our Costco in South Denver just deleted the burgers without explanation. I went to the manager and she didn’t know either but suggested I put it in the suggestion box. Bummer. The manager loved the burgers also!!! Go figure>

5. 5 anne // 2009.12.13 at 12:48 am

I love those costco burgers also, but my location in Corona, CA didn’t restock them either. I’ve found that’s a problem with costco, there are several food items I’ve tried and loved, go back for and they don’t have them any more.

6. 6 Kimberly // 2009.12.10 at 2:50 pm

We still have them at the Austin location that I shop at (at least they had them this weekend) and they were also in the Kansas City location that my mom shops at. Maybe they’ll make a return to your location too.

7. 7 Loie // 2009.12.03 at 2:41 pm

our Costco stores in Salt Lake sampled the Quick and Eat Burgers, ran out of them and never restocked them. Are they still available somewhere else in the country?

8. 8 Kimberly // 2009.11.12 at 12:46 pm

I would highly recommend the KS Belgian Chocolate Cookies (I wrote about these recently too: http://addictedtocostco.com/2009/10/24/this-week-at-costco-october-18-2009/ ) as a gift because they are super delicious and really reasonably priced at $11.49. Also, the KS chocolate cups, I can’t remember the exact name but they are so yummy. I thought I had written about them but can’t find the post. Anyway, they are these cute little chocolate cups, milk or white chocolate, filled with ganache (I think) and have different flavors. But they also have plenty of pre-made gift baskets at all kinds of price points.

9. 9 Sunny // 2009.11.12 at 11:02 am

Hi Kimberly and Heather – thanks ladies! I think I’ll stop by tomorrow and pick up some chocolate gifts for friends.

10. 10 Heather - Dollar Store Crafts // 2009.11.10 at 1:58 pm

All the Christmas stuff is in full effect now! Yay for Almond Roca.

11. 11 Kimberly // 2009.11.10 at 11:32 am

Sunny, they do indeed have those available right now. I think they have had them since well before Halloween even. There are the usual nice baskets of things and then the great chocolates and cookies that are sold separately too. It makes me want to go on a candy binge just thinking about all the yummy stuff they have right now!

12. 12 Sunny // 2009.11.10 at 11:19 am

Does anyone know if the Christmas candy is available yet? I am talking about the nice chocolate and cookies (not in the bakery section) that are found in a separate section. They range anywhere from $7 to about $20.

Thanks!

13. 13 Pat P. // 2009.11.09 at 3:33 pm

I like the Progresso soups (chicken noodle/rice) more than Healthy Choice. Healthy Choice is bland and is too small for lunch, unless it’s a side. Even with Progresso, I’d bring along some bread because I’d get hungry again at 4pm without it.

14. 14 Janice // 2009.11.08 at 12:59 pm

Costco now also has ‘mini’ Angus cheeseburgers. They come with the bun and cheese and are great for a quick snack…

15. 15 Clue // 2009.11.08 at 5:53 am

Also, I just wanted to give a head’s up that there is a coupon for the Progresso soups in the upcoming Costco coupon booklet. It’s $2.75 off, Limit 2. Good 11-12-09 thru 11-29-09.

16. 16 Clue // 2009.11.08 at 2:37 am

Another vote for the Angus Burgers! We heat them in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel and they come out fast and deliciously perfect. We’ve been buying them since early summer and we aren’t messing with fresh ground beef at all anymore!

17. 17 Robin // 2009.11.07 at 10:41 pm

I have to agree how good the Angus Beef Patties are!

They sampled them at my store too and I was surprised how good they were. I live in an apartment and can’t make a really good burger to save my life, but these would really hit the spot when I want one.

I didn’t notice if they used the microwave or the little oven to heat them but they did separate the bun so they could make them into cheeseburger samples. A Ziploc with some fixin’s would me a nice complement to the burger.

18. 18 KevinK // 2009.11.07 at 10:12 pm

They sell wine here? Yes, its next to the tires.

19. 19 GregLeg // 2009.11.07 at 8:28 pm

The Costco episode of Modern Family was hysterical. “What is this place?” :)

20. 20 Heather - Dollar Store Crafts // 2009.11.07 at 12:02 pm

Did you see Costco on that new show “Modern Family”? It was awesome! http://www.brandfreak.com/2009/10/modern-family-cameo-a-great-deal-for-warehouse-chain-costco.html

You can watch the episode here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/100898/modern-family-come-fly-with-me

So, something they’re doing at our Warehouse in Salem, OR is printing full posters for about $5 – have you noticed that at your one hour photo place? I am thinking about getting some posters of my son & his finest moments (driving Gpa’s tractor!) for him for a Christmas gift.

I just subscribed, and I’m sure I’ll be back to comment, as I love me some Costco! :) I could go on and on.

p.s. I write a blog called Dollar Store Crafts (as I’m sure you can tell from my name – ha ha), and I have been tempted to start one called “Big Box Crafts” starring stuff from my beloved Costco.