This Week at Costco – November 15, 2009

November 21st, 2009 · 15 Comments

We got to take advantage of some really great coupons this week for things that we like to keep on hand like the Carr’s Water Crackers.  And we also found a set of silicone baking liners like I have been wanting for quite some time (more on that below).

Don’t forget that the regular Costco Coupon Book is good through November 29th, and I’ve also posted the Black Friday and Thanksgiving weekend coupon book too but you’ve got to shop at Costco this weekend to actually get one of your own (they don’t mail them out).

Almond Roca

Almond Roca

Brown & Haley Almond Roca –  Okay, these are totally not a part of my healthy eating plan, but they are one of my favorite sweet treats.  It’s a weakness that I rarely give in to, but they were just too tempting this week apparently.  They refer to it as a buttercrunch toffee, which means that it’s got a buttery, crunchy toffee center that is then enrobed in milk chocolate and has little bits of almonds embedded in the chocolate.  When you put that all together it’s got a buttery crunch with a yummy chocolate and almond taste too.  Seriously, it is awesome!  Each piece comes individually wrapped in gold foil to help keep it fresh.  And at Costco, they come in a nice tin too (well, it’s pink and decorated with their branding but still cute).  This would make a great holiday gift for any sweet lover, or it would be nice in your candy dish where you could snack on it.  I chose that second option; it’s my present to myself this year I guess.  39 ounces for $9.99.  Item #: 301819.

Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares

Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares

Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares – So, there does seem to be a trend for buying candy and junk food this week.  Dave loves these, and considering the week that he had, he kind of deserved a milk chocolate treat.  I think chocolate has healing powers too, right?  The bag at Costco has 55 individually wrapped chocolate squares with 4 different fillings:  Caramel, White Mint, Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter.   All of the flavors are great, quite honestly.  Can anything with decent milk chocolate really be bad?  They also look festive in a nice container and would make a great stocking stuffers.  Since they have the four different flavors, just about everyone that likes chocolate could find one that they like.  The peanut butter might be my favorite though because it’s like a Reese’s peanut butter cup but with a better ratio of chocolate to peanut butter.    28.15 ounces / 55 pieces for $9.99.  Item #: 304392.

Hansgrohe Raindance Air 3-Jet Shower Set

Hansgrohe Raindance Air 3-Jet Shower Set

Hansgrohe Raindance Air 3-Jet Chrome Shower Set – I know I already mentioned this a little bit when I wrote about the coupon book, but I wanted to give a little more detail since I actually bought one.  We had already bought one of these (from a different supplier) for our master bathroom remodel, as well as one of our other bathrooms.  When I saw this deal at Costco, I immediately wanted to get another one for our third bathroom.  The set at Costco comes with the shower head, the shower arm mount, as well as a 63″ Techniflex hose (it wont kink because it rotates when you move the head).  The shower head uses the Hansgrohe AIR technology that injects air into the water spray to make it feel more powerful while using just 2.5 gallons per minute.  There are also three different spray patterns:  AIR, standard needle spray; Whirl AIR, creates a helix pattern spray; Balance AIR, combination of both AIR and Whirl AIR.  These are really great shower heads and the deal at Costco is outstanding.  Other places online sell these same items in the set for over $120.00, so even the $79.99 is a good deal but with the $20.00 off coupon, it’s an outstanding deal.  Just the shower head can run around $70.00 and the hose is easily another $40.00.  So, if you’re looking for a new shower head, you should definitely consider this set.  $59.99 ($79.99 – $20.00 coupon).  Item #: 462293.

Mili Silicone Baking Liner Set

Mili Silicone Baking Liner Set

Mili Nonstick Silicone Baking Liners, Set of Three – I’ve been wanting some of these silicone baking liners for a while now but they are usually so pricey that it totally puts me off.  So, instead I just use parchment paper or aluminum foil.  But ever since I got a really large silicone mat that I use for kneading bread and rolling out pie crusts and cookies, I’ve wanted some.  So, I was thrilled to see this nice set of three liners available at Costco for about the same price you’d normally get just one mat.  In the set of liners, you get two that are half sheet size of 11.62 inches x 16.2 inches and one smaller toaster oven liner at 9 inches x 12 inches.  You can easily use these in place of whatever you bake or cook on now, as long as you don’t go above 480 degrees Fahrenheit.  The liners are safe for use in the oven (obviously), as well as the microwave and the freezer as long as you don’t go below a temperature of -40 degrees Fahrenheit.  These would be great if you’re one of those people that likes to make your cookie dough in big batches and then freeze individual cookies.  Since you have to freeze them flat first, these would mean you could easily get them off of the pan once frozen.  The only slightly bad thing is that you can only hand wash these, of course they are non-stick so it’s not like you have to put a lot of effort into getting them clean.  $19.99.  Item #: 428785.

Olde Thompson Lemon Pepper

Olde Thompson Lemon Pepper

Olde Thompson Lemon Pepper – Dave and I used to buy lemon pepper all the time but somehow got out of the habit a while ago.  Of course, now that I saw this container of it at Costco, I can always have some on-hand again.  If you haven’t tried lemon pepper before, it is great to add some zip to fish, chicken, pasta, or garlic bread.  The stuff sold at Costco has a really great citrusy tartness that is tempered by the taste of the pepper.  It always has adds this nice fresh taste to anything you sprinkle it on, I think.  It can really add a great hit of flavor to things that are normally really bland, and you don’t have to put too much thought into what spices to put on things.  And just in case you are thinking that it’ll be hard to get through this big container, you have over a year to use it up; mine is good through April 2011.  28 ounces for $4.99.  Item #: 468390.

Tags: Coupons · Decorating · Food · Holidays · Household Items Share

1. 1 Robin // 2009.12.02 at 1:04 am

I stop by Costco today for a few things…

I picked up the Hannah Bruschetta I sampled last week. I ended up putting some on boring pastrami (bland!) sandwich and it tasted great on there.

Got melon and grapes but forgot to check to see if they were seedless. My fault, not theirs.

Picked up the Kirkman pre-cooked bacon as I can’t fry bacon to save my life and this is the best tasting brand out there. It lasts forever in the fridge and I trim off the excess fat before warming it. (Don’t over cook, just get the chill off it).

And I’m on my second bag of Muddy Buddies. There wasn’t an asterisk on the sign, so it sounds like this is a permanent addition.

I asked as I left if there will be any more coupons so, and was told not for a while.

As I left I added a note in the box asking for a Kosher section like in the NY/NJ stores.

2. 2 RickieM // 2009.12.02 at 12:39 am

@Ann – I installed the Water Pik shower heads and have been using them for several days now. First, they are very easy to install; everything you need is included in the package but you may need a wrench or pliers to get your old shower head off. Second, it works very well. I like the different spray patterns. There are only six (I think) whereas others have a lot more but then how many patterns do you really need? I only use three of them and that’s fine with me. The only thing is that the shower head itself is pretty big so it might be a little awkward for handheld use.

3. 3 ann // 2009.11.27 at 5:55 am

@RickieM: thank you for your reply re shower head installation. I score high on mechanical ineptitude so am hoping that it won’t be so bad.

@RickieM & Clue: I’m going to have to see whether my Costco carries the Waterpik. It would be nice to have the option, especially with your recommendation.

• 4 Kimberly // 2009.11.30 at 7:54 am

My mom bought the Waterpik shower head last week when we did our pre-Thanksgiving shopping. They had it at her Kansas City Costco location too. She hasn’t installed it and tried it out yet though.

4. 5 Robin // 2009.11.25 at 5:56 pm

I made it to Costco yesterday in time for the samples. Since I had more errands to run I couldn’t by anything that needed refrigeration. I wish they had little cards so when I go back I can remember what I’ve tried and liked. This is would be particularly helpful when there is more than one brand of the same type item.

Thumbs up to the Bruschetta

While I’m not a (non-smoked) salmon fan, I found Costco’s own fresh salmon salad was quite tasty.

Then there were samples of Chex Muddy Buddies. O…MG these are so good! I checked online and while I can find recipes for this Chocolate/Peanut/powdered sugar Chex mix, there is so mention of their pre-made mix being sold. I don’t know if Chex is test marketing them or if they are only being sold for the holiday season.

What surprised me is that these yummy treats are about the same number of calories per ounce as post bagged snacks. I could see these making a wonderful holiday treat by mixing in some holiday colored peanut M&Ms, raisins, or whatever your favorite mixin’s are.

Here’s the recipe from Chex on making your own. http://www.chex.com/recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=45860&CategoryId=447

• 6 Kimberly // 2009.11.30 at 7:57 am

Those sound so good! I think I’ll have to swing by my Costco today to see if they have this too. I know that sometimes Costco gets products or packages from manufacturers that aren’t sold in other stores, so maybe that is what is going on with the Chex mix.

5. 7 Kimberly // 2009.11.25 at 8:29 am

I’ll have to check out the Lemon Pepper when I get back home this weekend. However, I don’t think that it had salt in it.

• 8 Kimberly // 2009.11.30 at 7:55 am

Unfortunately, I was wrong and the lemon pepper we bought does have salt, as well as black pepper, citric acid, dehydrated onion and garlic, sugar, celery seed, lemon oil, and some other stuff for coloring and flavoring, as well as preservatives.

6. 9 Robin // 2009.11.25 at 2:11 am

In regards to the lemon pepper, I haven’t seen it in my Costco either. I wonder if it’s new or simple not carried in all Costco’s.

It think we have the one with salt.

7. 10 Dave // 2009.11.23 at 7:59 pm

We installed the Hansgrohe showerhead pretty easily. The only difficult part was that our old showerhead was one of those with a ball-end part permanently added to the arm (the length of pipe coming out of the wall) so we had to make a special trip to pick up a new arm too.

Our Costco didn’t have any alternative shower heads to chose from. No WaterPic for us. But I’m wondering if Clue’s point is due to differences in GPM flow for different showerheads rather than the pattern or something?

8. 11 RickieM // 2009.11.22 at 1:08 am

Thanks for your input, Clue! We’re doing work on the two bathrooms that will have those shower heads so I haven’t installed them yet but am curious to see how they are. Thanks again!

9. 12 Clue // 2009.11.21 at 6:43 pm

@RickieM —

I have both of those shower heads and strongly prefer the Waterpik (I got it at Costco sometime ago, but , I *think* it’s the same one you got). I have very thick, waist-length hair and the Waterpik is the only one that really gets my hair thoroughly wet, and rinses it quickly. It also has a variety of settings you may enjoy, so try ’em out. Also, it has a filter you can take out and clean periodically, helping to keep clogging sediment out of the spray head.

10. 13 RickieM // 2009.11.21 at 4:36 pm

Oh also, I forgot to add something about the lemon pepper seasoning. Does the one you have include salt? My Costco has a different brand, which I think is McCormick’s. I looked at the jar and the main ingredient is salt plus it seems to have all these artificial-sounding ingredients with long names so I passed on it (the price was the same). I would like to get a true lemon-pepper seasoning that didn’t have salt – I figure you can always add your own salt, right?

And to Ann, asking about is it easy to install shower heads: unless they have changed over the years since I did the last one (haven’t installed the ones I bought today yet), it was easy for me so any fool should be able to do it! ; )

11. 14 RickieM // 2009.11.21 at 4:32 pm

I saw the Hansgrohe at Costco this morning but ended up purchasing a couple of Water Pik models instead, which after instant rebate were $29,99 each. After looking at them both and comparing features, I felt that it was a better deal getting two of the Water Piks for the price of one Hansgrohe, but then I don’t really know much about shower heads. The Water Pik seemed to be decent quality and since we pretty much just use a standard spray setting, it didn’t see worth it to me to spring for the more expensive model. What do you think?

12. 15 ann // 2009.11.21 at 3:59 pm

Thank you for your information site.

How easy or hard is it to install the shower head? Thanks.