Guest Post: No Dell Computers on Costco.com

December 29th, 2009 · 16 Comments

[This is a guest post from Bill in Rescue, California.  Bill and his wife have been Costco members since 1993 when Costco and Price Club merged.  They’re addicted to all the great shopping at Costco too, obviously.  For more information about Bill, you can check out his website. ]

Costco is a great place to purchase computers because Costco extends the manufacturer’s warranty to two years from the date of purchase, because Costco Concierge Services offers excellent technical support, and because Costco has a very liberal 90 day return policy.  Costco Warehouse stores offer a limited selection of computers, but there is a much wider selection online at Costco.com.  In addition, online purchasers have been able to custom configure Dell and HP computers.  Unfortunately, the online computer selection has narrowed somewhat because  Costco is not currently  offering Dell computers online.  According to the Dell site, a few Dell systems will be carried in Costco Warehouse stores.  I’m sure there are many Dell enthusiasts who hope that the absence of Dell computers from Costco online is only temporary.

Bill from Rescue, California

[After reading Bill’s post, I decided to see how many Dell computers were still available at Costco.com.  The answer: one.  There is just one laptop, the Dell Inspiron 17 T6600, and absolutely no desktop computers.  There are just two computer accessories, one monitor and a single printer, but those don’t really count since they are obviously not computers.]

Tags: costco.com · Electronics · Guest Posts · Office Share

1. 1 Chester // 2012.09.11 at 11:47 am

Currently a 15 year Costco user. Note that the 2 year warranty on Dell systems comes from Costco Computer support and NOT DELL! If you are buying a home system for residential use I strongly advise you to purchase the square traded extended warranty if you are buying a whole system. If you are a business user and you are trying to buy DELL for business applications and you know you will be keeping the unit for your full depreciated time of 7 years., I would advise you to buy your business sytems from DELL directly and get the extended warranty from DELL>>>directly. Dell will get your system back up and running in a 3 day period if it fails. Residential users may wait 2 weeks before their system tech will get it back up and running. Is your time and $ valuable enough to have your business system down for 2 weeks in case of failure?

2. 2 Lois Wollenman // 2012.05.25 at 9:13 pm

I bought a Dell in Feb, 2012 and have had many issues. Have called repeatedly and have had little, if any, real help. I asked for a replacement and they said it is not their policy. Worst service I have received In my life from anyone. Sometimes you buy a product that is inferior and most companies will make a trade………apparently not Dell. I’m done!!!!!!
    Really bad customer service. No referral,from me after having purchased at least 5 Dells in my family/work….bad way to do business, if you ask me…

3. 3 Scott // 2011.07.26 at 2:47 pm

Has anyone ordered a Dell desktop system in the past few months? I placed an order for 2 systems a week ago and was wonder what others have experienced regarding delivery time frame.

Thanks!

4. 4 Bill from Rescue // 2010.01.05 at 12:03 am

It looks as if Dell is returning to Costco. The January Coupon Book, Valid 1/7 – 1/24/10, includes an offer on a Dell Studio XPS 8000 (online only), and Costco.com currently offers several Dell laptops.

5. 5 Guest Post: No Dell Computers on Costco.com | Addicted To Costco! // 2009.12.31 at 9:58 pm

[…] is the original: Guest Post: No Dell Computers on Costco.com | Addicted To Costco! Categories: Computers Tags: Computers, costco, custom-configure, inspiron-6400, more-important, […]

6. 6 Robin // 2009.12.30 at 4:51 am

My laptop died a few days before Christmas and I headed to Costco to look for a new Dell, as the website said the stores still carried them. Nada. There wasn’t a single Dell at the Orlando store and what they did have on display was slim pickings.

After checking options in a few stores (CompUSA was still selling old computers with XP and Vista) I ended up buying my computer from Best Buy.

7. 7 MichaelM // 2009.12.29 at 9:57 pm

Dropping Dell products is no loss……their products aren’t as good as they once were, and their customer service stinks.

Costco probably dropped Dell for the same reason it dropped Sprint: lousy customer service.

I say good riddance to both of them.

8. 8 Julie Chapman // 2009.12.29 at 5:51 pm

I, too, am an avid Costco supporter. I appreciate the way they stand behind their products and the great offering they provide. I wanted to buy a Dell after Christmas. . .don’t know what happened. I can’t find any news of a ‘split’ between the two companies or problems — but I am worried that Costco may have been dissatisfied with Dell’s products. Now I am in limbo. My HP of many many moons ago was a piece of junk. Could go directly to Dell to purchase, but I LIKE having the opportunity to have the extra support from Costco on major purchases. Julie

9. 9 Tampa Slim // 2009.12.29 at 2:07 pm

I too am a firm Mac User.

After running the PC gauntlet for years and years, I made the switch for good and I’m so glad I did. I owned IBM, Gateway, HP and Dell Laptops and regretted each one. I guess my mind just doesn’t work like Bill Gates!

If Costco carried Apple they would have almost ZERO returns. (just my opinion)

10. 10 Bill from Rescue // 2009.12.29 at 1:49 pm

Because I’ve been working with computers since the 1960s, family and friends think I know more than I do, and they ask me for advice on which computer to buy from Costco. When it comes to desktop systems, I’ve had experience with Dell and HP, but I know very little about iBuyPower, Velocity Micro, and ZT Systems. Any words of wisdom about the iBuyPower Model S915i, the Velocity Micro MX235, or the ZT Systems Affinity 7425Ti-41? All three systems are currently available on Costco.com, and I’ve read mixed reviews on each of the systems.

11. 11 Kimberly // 2009.12.29 at 12:42 pm

At Costco.com you can find both Acer and Toshiba laptops now, as well as Lenovo and Asus. Though, HP is clearly their biggest selection with just slightly less laptops to choose from than all of the other brands combined. As far as desktop systems go, they have a bunch of brands that I’m not really familiar with, and HP.

12. 12 tle // 2009.12.29 at 12:37 pm

Go with a Toshiba. I have mine for a year and a half now. No problems.

13. 13 Clue // 2009.12.29 at 12:29 pm

Both HP and Dell have repeatedly scored as having the shortest lifespan of among laptops in recent years. On the other hand, both Toshiba and Acer get consistently high marks for longevity. Knowing that, the only way I’d ever buy a Dell or an HP would be with Costco’s extended warranty and great service. But why put myself through it at all, when their are better brands Costco could carry, which would make the extended warranty, etc., a true bonus and not just a mere necessity?

14. 14 Pollack // 2009.12.29 at 11:09 am

I had to return my last 2 Dells from Costco. Maybe Costco is sick of having to deal with returns of crappy products.

15. 15 Kimberly // 2009.12.29 at 10:45 am

Well, I’ve got an Apple Macbook Pro right now and I really wish that Apple would get a deal going with Costco. I’ve never had a better notebook. However, my last laptop was a Dell, which was considerably better than my Gateway and nicer than my IBM laptop that I had at work. Plus, my mom is still using the Dell and even after several years and lots of traveling, it still works well and has had just one little issue with the built-in wireless card. And honestly, I’m not sure that HP is a better notebook than a Dell either. I’m not all about Dell though, they’ve got issues, just like everyone else that makes computers.

16. 16 Aaron Booker // 2009.12.29 at 10:38 am

Well – not everybody is sad that Dell isn’t in Costco anymore… There are much better computers than Dell.