Springtime at Costco.com, Part 2

March 20th, 2010 · 11 Comments

The other day I started writing a post about all of the cool things that you could get at Costco.com to enjoy dressing up your yard this Spring.  Unfortunately, for me, I only made it through talking about all the great flowers and plants that they have.  So, today I’m going to try to finish up the post with some of the other stuff that I found while browsing the Costco website.  They just had too much stuff for me to fit into a normal sized post!  I mean, they have 15 categories listed under ‘Outdoor’, which makes for a lot of items to browse through and a lot of things that look tempting to me.

Rubber Mulch from Costco.com

Rubber Mulch from Costco.com

Rubber Mulch:

They have four different choices of rubber mulch that you can get on Costco.com.  All of them are enough to do quite a bit of mulch work since they come in pallet quantities of 75 – 80 cubic feet of mulch.  This stuff would be great under play equipment but it is also nice just around your walkways or plants.  I’ve got some in a patch of my yard that is really shady and the old, ‘real’ mulch just broke down too quickly from being constantly wet.  So, after we put this in last year we found that it worked so much better because we haven’t had to do anything but rake it around a little bit to even it out once in a while.  We bought bags at our local Costco, but if I were doing more of the mulched areas I would definitely consider buying it this way because the bags were $19.49 for 1.6 cubic feet and it would take a ton of them to do more than a little area.  At prices ranging from $800.00 to $1,000.00 (including shipping), it isn’t the most inexpensive item even at Costco, however, you don’t have to keep replacing it year after year so I think it probably evens out after a few years.  Plus, it has that new mulch color years and years and years, instead of a month. And after you’re finished adding your rubber mulch, you can get some plastic grass.  While I am just kidding, if you haven’t seen the samples of this stuff at Costco, you should try to check it out when it’s in your local store.  It’s amazing!  It looks just like real grass.  Real grass that never needs to be moved or trimmed or weeded even.  It looks way better than this stuff used to, and feels better as well.

Vifah All-Weather EternalWood™ Composite Deck Tiles

Vifah All-Weather EternalWood Composite Deck Tiles

Decking:

We have an area in our yard that is just crying out to have some kind of patio or deck.  Right now it is covered with little pebbles which look okay, but are a bit of an annoyance honestly.  So, I’d love to use these very cool EternalWood Composite Deck Tiles.  While I risk sounding a little like I’m working for the recycled plastics lobby, these too are made from a composite of waste natural fiber and recycled plastics.  The Costco website says it provides”the luxurious look and feel of wood, without the hassles of annual maintenance.  It requires no sanding, staining, or painting. And it will not crack, split, splinter or rot.  The Composite Deck Tile is ideal for high rainfall or high humidity locations or as an easy to care for alternative to conventional wood tiles.”  All of which sounds ideal to someone that doesn’t want to be babying their deck and lives in hot and humid Texas.  And it has a 10 year warranty, which is great just in case.  For 10 tiles, or 10 square feet, you’ll have to pay $69.99 (including shipping).  And I’m sure that is a much bigger initial cost than some treated lumber from Home Depot, but then with that you have to do stuff every year to keep it looking fresh and nice.  I’d love to hear from anyone that has actually installed something like this, just to know if it is really as low maintenance and good looking as they make it sound.  Some friends of ours have a deck made out of a similar product that they just love because it looks like wood but they don’t have to do anything to it at all, ever.

Cool Patio 30 Outdoor Misting System

Cool Patio 30 Outdoor Misting System

Misting Systems:

This might seem like a weird thing, but I’ve wanted a misting system since we lived in Tucson.  It is amazing how much cooler your patio area can feel with just a little bit of mist in the air!  If you’re not familiar with a misting system, it really isn’t that complicated.  It’s basically a little bit of tubing and some nozzles that you can hook up to a water spigot and when you turn on the water, voila, mist comes out of the little nozzles to cool you down.  I’ve also heard that these are great to keep away mosquitos, but I don’t know if that is really true or not.  The system they have at Costco, the Cool Patio 30 Misting System,  covers 10 linear feet of misting area with 17 ultra-fine mist nozzles, and it is all assembled and ready to go for you.  They say that it can reduce the ambient temperature by as much as 30 degrees!  You get all that for $29.99 (including shipping), so it sounds like a really great deal if  it helps you actually enjoy sitting outside during the warmer months.

There are so many great things that you can get this time of year at Costco – either online or in the stores.  They’ve got everything from plants to lawn tools to patio furniture.  You can get green houses or really great pergolas too.  Every year we spend plenty of time, and money of course, at Costco to buy things for our yard.  Now, if I just had a yard this Spring.

Tags: costco.com · Decorating · Household Items · Landscaping Share

1. 1 kimo // 2010.12.29 at 12:41 am

I am enquiring on what month (or time of season) will your swing sets be available for sale? I beleive that this product is only available during a certain time of the year, from what I heard they put it out for sale about springtime, during the months of March or April. I live in Hilo, Hawaii which is located on the other side of the island from the Costco Kailua-Kona store, which is the only store on the island.

• 2 Kimberly // 2011.01.02 at 3:57 am

@Kimo, while I don’t know what month counts as Spring in Hawaii, I know that in Texas swing sets and things of that nature started showing up in our Costco around April or May. You could always call your Costco to ask them when they will be getting theirs into the store.

2. 3 Kelvin // 2010.06.21 at 11:47 pm

Interlocking deck tiles have become more popular than wooden deck or concrete. As they are cheap and easy to install and also they are made of recycled material. Nice article

3. 4 Kimberly // 2010.03.23 at 2:26 pm

Suzan, Costco.com only ships to addresses in the US right now, or Canada if you go to Costco.ca. Here’s what they say at Costco.com regarding shipping:

“Currently, Costco.com offers shipping in the United States only. We do not currently deliver to PO boxes, international addresses, or a few limited geographic areas within the U.S.

For our Canadian members, please visit us at http://www.costco.ca.

Shipments to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico will incur additional shipping charges that will be quoted to you at time of checkout. We plan to expand service to more areas in the future. Please check our site regularly for updates.”

4. 5 Kimberly // 2010.03.23 at 2:21 pm

Xup, come over to the dark, big box side. LOL I like Costco for the exact opposite of the customer service problems you were discussing on your blog today. Everyone at Costco seems to be an adult and likes their job and is working hard to please customers. And that is awesome in todays world of lousy, surly, unpleasant customer service.

Well, that and a few million other reasons. They have great, quality products at excellent prices too. Go Costco!

It is kind of amazing to me too that I have been able to blog all this time (years now actually) about Costco. I can’t believe that so many other people love it as much as I do.

5. 6 XUP // 2010.03.23 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today. I’m gobsmacked that you’ve managed to maintain blog all this time all about Costco. That’s amazing – big crazy-assed kudos to you. I’m not a fan of the place personally, but I think I’ll come back to visit here to see if I can be convinced.

6. 7 dave // 2010.03.21 at 1:52 pm

I’m pretty sure Costco.com’s normal shipping prices don’t cover shipping to Australia. Especially for 800-pound pallets of rubber mulch. :-) Does Costco have a local Australian website yet?

7. 8 Suzan Rex // 2010.03.21 at 12:58 pm

Is ordering from costco.com and having it delivered to an Australian address available?

8. 9 Emily (Bentobloggy) // 2010.03.21 at 12:39 pm

Kimberly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in our store, but we have 3 Costcos in our area, so I’ll check the bigger one – they seem to get more stuff than the one closest to us. Thanks!

9. 10 Emily (Bentobloggy) // 2010.03.20 at 10:35 pm

Okay, that misting thing is super cool, and I’ve coveted that rubber mulch for my daughter’s play area for a while, but it’s on the pricey side.

• 11 Kimberly // 2010.03.21 at 12:44 am

Emily, I don’t know how big the area is that you want to mulch, but you might be better off buying it in the bags at your Costco (if they have it) rather than ordering it online. One of the other big box DIY type places had some too when we got ours. The rubber mulch is pretty cool though because it doesn’t float away when it rains, it doesn’t fade, and if you put some landscape fiber down underneath it, it won’t be absorbed into your soil either. Plus, it is very soft and spongy; I can see how it would be great for under a swing set or something similar. The fact that you don’t have to replace it every year, or at least add to it, is a big plus for me too. I got so sick of having to go get a bunch of bags of mulch every year to replenish the stuff I had put down the year before. That can really add up. My next rubber mulch project is to put it around the beds at the front of our house where we want something that will look consistently colored all the time and look crisp all year round.