This Week at Costco – March 21, 2010

March 27th, 2010 · 23 Comments

We are finally in our permanent flat, no more hotels or temporary places, and we actually have all of our kitchen items and furniture too.  So, we were all set for a good day of Costco shopping.  We got there a little later this week, so we didn’t see the mad rush for the door.  However, it was still packed in there.  And even though we weren’t that late in the shopping day, stuff in the bakery area was already really picked over.  We did manage to get some great things, that are certainly new to us.  Also, while we were at Costco I was able to pick up the latest UK Coupon Book.  It’s good from March 22 – April 11.  I’m going to try to get it online but my scanner is being uncooperative at the moment.  And if you’re in the US, don’t forget that you’ve only got two weekends left to take advantage of the current Costco Coupon Book.

I went ahead and updated all the prices to include conversions to US dollars.

Joseph Joseph Index Chopping Board

Joseph Joseph Index Chopping Board

Joseph Joseph Index Chopping Boards – I didn’t bring a cutting board with me when we moved, for some reason.  I had some of the chopping mats but I didn’t think they’d be a good match for the non-granite countertops we have here.  So, I was really pleased when we saw this stylish set of cutting boards.  I really liked that they have their own little holder and stand upright without leaning against anything else.  Plus, they look acceptably nice and like something you can set on your kitchen counter without it looking too messy.  There are four chopping boards in the set, they are  color coded and have an illustration on the tab for a specific food type, and then they slot into a nice looking case/stand.  The categories, for the most part, are what you expect:  fish, vegetables, red meat, and (oddly) hot foods.  The hot foods category, threw me quite honestly, especially since the illustration looks a bit like a jelly fish but I think is actually a bowl with heat waves coming off of it.  I’m used to chicken, fish, red meat, and veggies, so this was a new one to me.  In any case, weird categories and illustrations aside, they seem sturdy and didn’t nick and scar on my first couple of uses of the boards with my super sharp Global knives.  And thankfully, they are dishwasher friendly.  They aren’t big, which might be a problem for some people but doesn’t really bother me.  However, the one bad thing about them is that they don’t have any non-skid properties, at all.  So, when you put one down on your counter and start chopping, it will definitely move around.  I put mine on a towel and it stayed in place after that.  Buying these at Costco, as opposed to Amazon.co.uk saved me almost £13.00 too!  So, if you like the look of them or want a nice little set of chopping boards, you should definitely get these at Costco.  £16.99 (US $25.50).  Item #: 0101471.

Scotch Beef Fillet Steaks

Scotch Beef Fillet Steaks

Scotch Beef Fillet Steak –  We like a good steak and haven’t had one in quite a while with the move and all.  So, we picked these great looking filets up at Costco.  We’re not really familiar with all the beef grades and types here, so we were just hopeful that these would be as awesome as they looked.  And they were so much better!  The meat was so tender and had an incredibly rich flavor.  The steaks had a good amount of marbling too; not too fatty.  Really, my mouth is watering just recalling how delicious these were.  I think Dave could have devoured his and mine and still been in the mood for more.  We cooked them simply and they really didn’t need much embellishment aside from a little salt and pepper to enhance the flavor.  I think it was the tenderness that really impressed me though.  They were definitely like a ‘prime’ cut from the US in terms of quality and certainly in the same ballpark as far as price goes too.  However, I am willing to pay to buy a really nice steak because it is still a better price than if we went to dinner at a steak place, and probably just as good in quality and preparation. I’m looking forward to trying some of the other cuts that they have available, as well as the more pricey dry-aged steaks.  4 fillets for £22.39; £27.99 per kilogram (US $33.60; $42.01 per kilogram).  Item #: 0001207.

Petite Pains

Petite Pains

La Belle Crousteline Petite Pains – These are the best thing ever for people that love fresh baked bread (who doesn’t really?).  I spotted these on our first visit to Costco and have been dying to try them since.  Basically, these are little loaves of bread that have been proofed or partially baked (is my guess) and then you just finish them off in your oven for that fresh baked bread experience without all the kneading and work.  I like this because these are French bread, which isn’t something I’m like to make but I do really like it.  At Costco, you get four individual packages of four little loaves in each, so a total of 16 little loaves.  The cooking process is easy too taking just 10 minutes, and the only prep work aside from putting them on a pan is to sprinkle them with a little water.  The loaves are perfect for a nice sandwich (they were great with tuna salad for lunch) or as an accompaniment for your dinner.  Since you pull them right out of the oven they are crisp on the outside but moist and hot on the inside, and the perfect place for a pat of butter or two.  They would also be great paired with some soft cheese and a salad. I’m calling them loaves but they are someplace between a small loaf and a roll, veering more towards a roll I think.  But the size is really nice for allowing everyone to have their own loaf. They are fresh from the oven bread and they will be good with anything or just on their own.   I also noticed that they had bigger baguettes like this at Costco too, so we will definitely be trying those out in the future.  16 loaves/rolls for £1.75;  just £0.11 per loaf (US $2.63 or $0.17 per loaf).  Item #: 0106760.

KS Shortbread with Belgian Chocolate

KS Shortbread with Belgian Chocolate

Kirkland Signature Shortbread with Belgian Chocolate – These should be illegal, they’re that good and that addictive.  But thankfully for us, there are just 15 of these delicious shortbread cookies in the pack at the Costco bakery.  These are really delicious shortbread, with lots of buttery goodness, as well as a nice layer of sugar sprinkled on the top.  The shortbread is the kind that has the perfect texture of soft cookie, but not all crumbly and falling apart.  Of course, then they elevate the delicious shortbread base by adding in decent sized – neither too small or too big – chunks of Belgian chocolate.  Wow!  We loved these from the first bite.  These were a really nice treat though.  They’re pretty decent sized too, so even though you only get 15 in the container, it is quite a bit of cookie.  I’ll bet these would be really great with a nice mug of hot chocolate.  They were delicious as a nice afternoon pairing with my tea.  And, they weren’t too shabby with a nice, cold glass of milk either.  15 cookies for £4.99 (US $7.49).  Item #: 0008569.

Skinny Milk Containers

Skinny Milk Containers

Semi-Skimmed Milk – Okay, this isn’t so much of a review on what a great product milk is, though I am a big fan.  This is mostly just to show those in the US, or elsewhere, how they package their milk here.  I have a little fridge in our new flat, it’s definitely not sized for stocking up on anything or getting too big a collection of condiments going either.  It seems to be working for us, so far.  However, I must admit that I was worried about where I would put a full sized container of milk (that’s 3.408 liters here or around .75 gallons) in the fridge because the shelves do not have that much space between them and the door shelves are very narrow indeed.  And as a person that can drink a gallon of milk in a week, this is a big concern.  Turns out that the full sized containers here are not square-ish like they are in the US but more like a thin rectangular shape.  They’re longer but skinny enough to fit in the door.   Clever!  For what it is worth, Costco seems cheaper on milk prices than the other places I’ve shopped.  Just 2.272 liters of milk is £1.00 at my Sainsbury’s; that’s a difference of £0.11 per liter higher at Sainsbury’s.   And the milk does go perfectly with the above mentioned shortbread…so, you might think about picking up this winning combination next time you’re at Costco. 3.408 liters for £1.45 (US $2.18).

Tags: Coupons · Fitness · Food · Household Items · In the News Share

1. 1 This Week at Costco – June 12, 2011 | Addicted To Costco! // 2011.06.18 at 5:34 am

[…] Belle Crousteline Baguettes – These are a lot like the smaller versions that I have bought previously.  But these are like a full sized French baguette.  Well, not full […]

2. 2 Liz // 2011.02.13 at 5:47 pm

I’m somewhat new to this site and have seriously been exploring all day! I love reading about Costco’s around the world and what different folks use the products for. I had a package of the micro fiber cloths that I’d only used when I washed my car! I took a break and cleaned mirrors, tv’s and a few windows! What a great place this is! Thanks for taking the time to create this website and for constantly adding to it!

I love it!

3. 3 Costco UK Coupon Book: February 7 – 27, 2011 | Addicted To Costco! // 2011.02.08 at 4:20 am

[…] have a coupon for the Joseph Joseph Chopping Boards again this year.  I purchased this set last year, one of our first purchases after we moved into our new flat.  They still look okay, with a few […]

4. 4 Teresa // 2010.05.08 at 11:23 pm

For the hot foods, I am thinking like hot peppers and such. They have oils that stay on surfaces (or fingers!) for a long time, even after washing. This has been proved to me when I washed my hands after making salsa and run rubbed my eye…yikes!

I am from the US and a lot of the items we don’t get here, but it is great fun to read. Thanks:) Loved seeing the milk jugs…my fridge in our apartment is small too…kind of wish they sold them here. I find it hard to fit 2 square gallon jugs.

• 5 Kimberly // 2010.05.10 at 3:07 am

Teresa, I like the skinny milk container too. It seems easier to pour to me, even when it is totally full. And it would definitely fit better in smaller fridges, no matter what country.

5. 6 Jacqueline // 2010.04.02 at 5:36 pm

I love those chopping boards. I got mine a month ago when they had them in the Costco coupon book and always use them. Very easy to store. It makes me feel as if I got a better deal because I came across them on Macys.com for over $60. One thing I do like from the UK about the milk is that you can still have it delivered by the milkman every morning.

• 7 Kimberly // 2010.04.08 at 2:25 am

I didn’t know I could get a milk delivery! For a girl that drinks a lot of milk, this might be something I will have to investigate. :-)

6. 8 Spang // 2010.04.01 at 12:37 pm

It is interesting to see the products they have in the UK. That shortbread sounds really yummy! I always loved reading your suggestions for “this week in Costco,” but with your move, we might need to start a place for American readers to comment on what they are finding in the stores, too.

When I first read about the “hot foods” cutting board, I thought of spicy foods, such as jalapeno peppers. They release oil onto your hands and surfaces (anyone who has wiped his or her eyes after cutting a hot pepper knows this, even after they wash their hands!). So, if you did not want to ruin the flavors of something delicate, such as mint for tea or nuts for a pastry, with the spicy remaining oil that sticks even after something is washed, you can just use the red cutting board.

7. 9 dave // 2010.03.30 at 7:54 am

Lisa, I don’t think you can use printed coupons from here at your local Costco. But, if you can find a print that has the bar code on back, and you can convince your local register worker to take it, who knows? :-)

A better solution is to ask at the customer service desk on your way in for a coupon book, or if they’re out of them, to ask the register clerk when checking out if they can scan their own book’s coupon for you.

You might need to make sure “your friend” hasn’t already used the coupon, as most are limited quantities per member.

8. 10 Kissen // 2010.03.29 at 9:54 pm

I’m enjoying the UK experience you’re having. Thanks.

9. 11 Lisa // 2010.03.29 at 8:18 pm

I am wondering if I can print out PDF coupon on this website to use?
    I have a membership, but my friend is an primary. They never mail coupon books to me.
    Does anyone know a printed coupon can be used?

10. 12 GregLeg // 2010.03.28 at 1:40 pm

I find it interesting to see how things differ over the pond — I’ve been to England a few times but never on trips long enough to check out stores like Costco. If someone doesn’t like it they don’t have to read it.

Keep up the good work!

11. 13 HotWasabiPeas // 2010.03.28 at 10:15 am

Was the milk at Costco unrefrigerated? That’s how you usually find it…weird I know. You should expand your site and focus on other stores in the UK like Sainsbury’s and Tesco. Oh and rename your site “Addicted to the Fabulous Foods of England…Bye Bye American Crap!”

• 14 Kimberly // 2010.03.29 at 7:11 am

The milk was refrigerated but they eggs were not. All of the milk here is in a fridge case, no matter the store (at least the ones I’ve been to), however, none of the eggs are in the coolers. It’s a little weird to buy eggs that are just sitting on a regular shelf next to things like chips or whatever. Of course, they are all stamped with a sell by date, so that makes me feel better, I guess.

12. 15 Danita // 2010.03.28 at 9:35 am

I am enjoying the London postings, but would enjoy some postings from U.S. readers since I shop at the Austin Costco. Our local Costco has some amazing live garden plants right now (flowers, trees, shrubs) for great prices.

13. 16 terese // 2010.03.28 at 7:19 am

I love seeing these items, and wish we had some of them here. Wish you could post the US dollar amount for them, if it’s not too much trouble. Thanks!

• 17 Kimberly // 2010.03.29 at 7:12 am

I was debating about posting the US dollar amounts, since you requested it I’ll go ahead and add it to any posts where I have prices.

14. 18 Kimberly // 2010.03.28 at 3:09 am

Gay, sorry you feel that way, but since I’m in London now I really have no choice but to write about the products I have purchased here. If you feel like sharing any of your product reviews, please let me know! I’d love to get some product thoughts and opinions from people shopping in the US, or any of the other countries with Costco locations, for that matter.

15. 19 Kimberly // 2010.03.28 at 3:07 am

Colleen, I agree when I cut hot things it is usually something juicy and you don’t want that on a board without that groove for capturing the juices before they run all over your counter and floor. And the size is also a little small for something too big. However, slicing hot chicken breasts or pork loin (those little ones) or even a steak, would probably work quite well.

16. 20 Kimberly // 2010.03.28 at 3:05 am

Thanks, Maria! I’m glad you find the reports from London interesting. It’s really interesting to shop in a different place like this. It’s similar, but different enough that I know I’m not in the US for sure. There is actually a fair amount of overlap between the products, I think. It’s probably as much as there is between different regions of the US.

I’ll bet throwing in some good chocolate chunks to your homemade shortbread would be awesome! How could your mom not love them? Homemade shortbread is so good. I’m thinking that maybe I should make my own too. Dave says he thinks he remembers similar shortbread in our Austin Costco at various times too, so you might want to check your local Costco (if you get to feeling like you don’t want to make your own, that is).

17. 21 Maria S // 2010.03.27 at 11:15 pm

Yup- I’m sure some people won’t be interested – but I certainly am. I love learning about how the rest of the world lives instead of being completely self-centered on my little life. There is so much more to life and the world then getting up and going to work every day. Thank you for expanding my horizons – Keep them coming.
    I have never made shortbread but these sound wonderful! I have some great recipes but the chocolate would put them over the top. I bet Mom would love them for an Easter gift!

18. 22 Gay Ayyagari // 2010.03.27 at 11:01 pm

i’m not really interested in out of country costco stores. this info is of no value to me. thanks anyhow

19. 23 Colleen // 2010.03.27 at 11:41 am

“Hot foods” probably means it’s for carving up cooked items, such as meat roasts, that you wouldn’t want exposed to any trapped bacteria on the raw food cutting boards. It’s not a bad idea, so it’s too bad we don’t see it often in sets. Of course, when I carve roasts I usually prefer a thicker board with a groove for catching juices, so that might be why.