Costco UK Food Court

April 8th, 2010 · 18 Comments

As I think I’ve mentioned in every post that I have written about our new Costco here in the UK, it is packed!  The whole store is packed and the lines at the Food Court are long, long, long.  I’m amazed by this every time we go.  However, it also means that we haven’t been able to try any of the different food court items, or even a standard hot dog and soda.  This week I am determined to do so though.  It might mean that we eat before we shop, but darn it, we’re trying that hot dog and cottage pie!

Costco UK Food Court Menu (at least most of it)

Costco UK Food Court Menu (at least most of it)

One of the last times we were at Costco, I snapped a picture of the menu for the Costco UK Food Court.  As you can see, at the left, they do indeed offer the soda and hot dog here as well, and it is just a £1.50 (US $2.28).  The other standard on the menu is the chicken bake for £2.70 (US $4.11).  And of course, they also have pizza by the slice for  £1.50 (US $2.28) or you can get a 10″ take away pizza for £7.49 (US $11.41).  They seem to have different pizza toppings and they don’t look quite the same either.  I know in the deli section of the store they have rectangular pizzas. They also have ice cream and fruit sundaes which seem very similar to things I’ve seen at the US Costco locations too.  They have a chicken salad bowl, which I think we have in the US but I can’t recall it looking like this.

Just a minute portion of the food court line

Just a minute portion of the food court line

Aside from those items that you can find in the US too, you can get a jacket potato or a cottage pie.  The jacket potatoes (baked potatoes) come with all kinds of toppings such as the usual beef chili or cheese.  But then they get a little more interesting, at least to my American mind’s baked potato template.  You can also get coleslaw, baked beans, or tuna.  I could potentially see the appeal of coleslaw or even baked beans (if I liked them more).  But tuna?  Tuna and potato, I just don’t understand.  That is not a combination I would have ever hit on.  Your jacket potato and topping of choice is the same price as the soda and hot dog: £1.50 (US $2.28).   The other unique item on the food court menu is the Cottage Pie.  I think this is like Shepherd’s Pie.  Looking at Wikipedia’s article it does seem that they are similar, though Cottage Pie is made with beef and Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb.  They say there is something in the US that is like this called ‘Cowboy Pie’, I don’t know about that one.  So, basically, it is minced beef with a crust of mashed potatoes.  Sounds good and perhaps they should think about adding that to the menu in the US because I can see this being a hit in the cooler climates.  In the UK the Cottage Pie is one of the pricier things on the Costco Food Court menu at £2.50 (US $3.81); though really, everything is still a bargain.

So, aside from a few UK specific items, the Costco Food Court here is quite similar.  But the lines are huge.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen as long a line at the food court in Austin.  I was going to try to get a picture showing the long lines but my camera couldn’t go wide enough.  I’m determined to try it out though.  Sadly, no churros here in the UK; they’re one of my favorite Costco treats too.

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 John // 2014.01.29 at 7:03 am

They have had churros for about a year now!

2. 2 john // 2012.10.15 at 4:34 am

Youll be pleased to hear churros are coming soon i believe along with a few other items

3. 3 Abalicious // 2012.08.29 at 5:20 pm

A part of life is all about trying new things people!!!!!!

4. 4 Evan Brom // 2010.06.23 at 1:31 pm

Awesome Post, But a 10 inch pizza I think the are 18 here in the USA 10 inch is a personal size.

• 5 Kimberly // 2010.06.24 at 6:32 am

The appliances in general are a little smaller here, so I think they make the Costco pizzas smaller to account for that. There’s no way I could fit one of the 18 or 16 inches pizzas from a US Costco in my cute but tiny oven here. Maybe if I cut in half it would work but it would be a tight fit. In general though, we’ve found that the pizzas are smaller here from places like Pizza Hut too.

5. 6 kathryn // 2010.06.13 at 10:12 am

Shepherds pie is made with lamb and nothing else, cottage pie is made with beef and usually has some diced veg in it………….both are yummylicious.

I am so surprised to find Costco in England I had never heard of it til I moved to the states. I found out because of an article in the daily mail on line.

Its funny I found out that Subway was in England due to a newspaper article too!!!!!

I am glad that Tesco have moved into the area I live in with a chain called fresh and easy as now I can get british bacon …..woohoo! and other stuff at a reasonable price!!!!!

6. 7 Jason Guiliano // 2010.04.18 at 7:46 am

The costco in Montgomeryville PA has french fries, and the other one we go to in Mt.Laural does not.

7. 8 Enzo // 2010.04.15 at 4:26 am

Tuna is the best filling for a Jaket Potato! You should try it over in the states – pierce a baking potato (large one) all over with a fork then bake it at 320f for about one hour (right onto the oven shelf no baking tray required) then remove and cut a ‘cross’ 1/2 way down the potato then when its opened up add a small amount of butter then top with a mix of Tuna Mayonaise ( approx 100g tin of tuna mixed with a couple of TBSP of mayo) & top with grated cheese, Now thats a delicious Baked Potato! (Tuna Mayo & Cheese is one of the most popular Jacket Potato fillings in the UK)

Now back to Costco…..I had the Cheese & Tomato Pizza slice the other day & it was delicious! Huge slice for £1.50 just might try the large one as it tasted much better than Pizza Huts but it only comes in 1 size (18″) which is just a bit too big for Myself, The Wife & The Toddler

• 9 Kimberly // 2010.04.16 at 4:41 am

I am obviously going to have to try the jacket potato with tuna next time we have lunch at Costco. Everyone makes it sound good and seems to be such fans of it, I have to admit I’m intrigued.

• 10 Kimberly // 2010.04.16 at 4:43 am

Enzo, my mom gets the big Costco pizza and then freezes part of it so that she can have a nice pizza, of a more normal size, when she wants one. It’s her version of a frozen pizza.

8. 11 Omar // 2010.04.10 at 10:24 am

I love the Costco Tuna jacket potato, I have had two this week! I have also had Beans and Cheese and Beans and coleslaw, also nice.

9. 12 Alison // 2010.04.09 at 4:02 pm

I grew up in Scotland and jacket potatoes are a very popular snack item in the UK. You can get them filled with just about anything, curry used to be my favorite. I remember one of our late night treats after a night of dancing was a slice of pizza with jacket potato and coleslaw, oh to have a young metabolism again!! I would eat at Costco every day if the US had the same menu as the UK.

10. 13 Stephanie // 2010.04.09 at 8:09 am

When I visited Great Britain all the pubs had “jackets” on the menu. I just assumed it was a sort of sandwich going by the toppings. A tuna jacket? Sounds like a sandwich to me.
    So they bring this potato with a big scoop of tuna salad (just mayo and tuna, no relish or eggs) I was a little scared but it tasted really good! I was actually craving them when I came back to the states.

11. 14 Kimberly // 2010.04.09 at 5:04 am

I guess I’m just more into thinking of a baked potato with cheese or sour cream. I guess I’ll have to try it with tuna though and see how it tastes. Maybe it is really fabulous & I’ve been missing out on it all these years.

I remember adding potato chips to tuna sandwiches too. Funny, I haven’t done that in years. Wonder if it still tastes as good, or if that’s one of those things you can only appreciate as a kid?

12. 15 RickieM // 2010.04.08 at 5:08 pm

I remember back in elementary school we used to put potato chips in our tuna sandwiches. Something about the texture/crunch/taste of the chips married very well with the tuna salad and bread. As for the pies, they can serve Cowboy Pies and as long as they aren’t serving cowpies then it is all good. : )

13. 16 XUP // 2010.04.08 at 1:06 pm

If you can have tuna with pasta, why not with potatoes? A tuna sandwich and fries or chips is yummy. Who knows? Also, I’ve never seen shepherd’s pie with anything but minced beef. I guess it stands to reason that it was originally made with lamb seeing as how shepherds ate it, but any time I’ve had it, it was made with beef (or other weirder stuff if it was vegetarian shepherd’s pie)

14. 17 Colleen // 2010.04.08 at 4:38 am

It’d be awesome if US Costcos offered baked potatoes with toppings, too! Might make it feel a little less calorically indulgent to lunch there. Sounds like the British food courts have a nice variety of items.

• 18 Kimberly // 2010.04.08 at 1:01 pm

But would you want a baked potato with tuna as a topping? 😀