This Week at Costco – April 11, 2010

April 17th, 2010 · 17 Comments

I finally remembered to take my coupons with me so that I could get some savings before the coupons expired.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a copy of the next coupon book for the UK, so I don’t know when it covers or what is in it.  If you’re in the UK and could send me a PDF or JPGs, I’d be really appreciative.

KS Beach Towel for Two

KS Beach Towel for Two

Kirkland Signature Beach Towel for Two – This weekend was really lovely here, so on Saturday we decided to take a break from putting together furniture (Ikea flat pack really is a wonder of engineering) to relax in the park.  When we were there we realized that it would have been a really great idea to have brought a blanket with us from Austin that we could use to sit on the grass.  Luckily for us, Costco was way ahead of us and when we got there on Sunday they had these great beach blankets or beach towels for two.  They are just as wonderful as the regular sized Kirkland Signature beach towels (coupon in the current US coupon book)!  It is really good sized (since it is made for two) at 63 inches x 72 inches.  It’s made from 100% Egyptian cotton, so it is very soft and plush feeling.  They had a wide variety of colors and patterns to work for just about anyone too.  For our purposes, it is perfect since it is big and soft, but also because it is really thick to give us a little cushion from the ground (which is far less comfy than a sand beach).  I’m looking forward to giving it a try this weekend, when it will hopefully be nice weather again.  63″ x 72″ towel for £10.99 (US $16.88).  Item #: 0134695.

Men's Convertible Hiking Pants

Men's Convertible Hiking Pants

Ridge Point Men’s Convertible Hiking Pants – We like to hike and Dave really likes the pants that have the bottoms that zip off to make shorts.  He’s been looking for another pair for a while now, so it was good luck to find these at Costco.  Unlike the others that he has these aren’t made of the super lightweight fabrics but are made of cotton (mostly) so they’re a little heavier.  This is good if you’re going hiking someplace where it is a little cold, like the mountains.  Of course, if they get wet they won’t be so quick to dry, so that’s a bit of a negative.  However, if you’re just looking for some casual pants these are kind of nice too.  They have lots of pockets, enough to keep all the important stuff close at hand.  There’s even a nice pocket for your cellphone, though it seems a bit narrow to me.  One of the nice features for hikers and campers is the velcro around the ankles to make it far easier to get these off either when you zip the bottoms off the legs or at night in your tent.  Dave was also happy to see that they came in black because mostly these pants come in khaki or olive green, sometimes dark grey, but they do really look like army fatigues then.  £11.99 (US $18.42).  Item #: 0064680.

Women's Linen Pants

Women's Linen Pants

Women’s Linen Palazzo Pants – It’s getting to be warmer and my thoughts are turning to wearing something other than jeans.  So, I was really happy to see these really cute linen pants.  I like the buttons on the front, gives them a little fun detail.  The wide legs are nice because they have a nice breezy feeling and are more comfortable in summer’s hot weather for sure (though I don’t know how much hot weather I can expect here in London).  And of course, I have to mention that they are linen which does make them a bit more of a pain to take care of; lots of ironing.  But I just love linen for summer because it is so light.  It’s also one of those fabrics that looks wrinkly after you’ve had it on for a few minutes, so if you don’t want to iron maybe no one will notice.  I was kind of bummed that Costco didn’t have skirts in a similar style.  Though they had some linen skirts they were more fitted and tailored and didn’t look as comfortable or summery to me.  They also had some matching linen blouses that were cute, but I decided that might be too matchy-matchy and just got the pants.  Sorry for the lousy picture but I just couldn’t figure out how to photograph them and have them look like pants.  £16.99 (US $26.11).  Item #: 0105092.

Comfort Pure Fabric Conditioner

Comfort Pure Fabric Conditioner

Comfort Pure Fabric Conditioner – Normally, I use Bounce sheets (which I also buy at Costco) as a fabric softener because I have a separate dryer.  Of course, here in London I have a combo washer and dryer.  So, you put your dirty clothes in and set it to wash and dry without a pause in the middle (of course, you can stop it in between but why waste time).  As a result, the dryer sheets don’t really work for me.  I’ve never used liquid fabric conditioner or softener, so I was at a loss for picking one.  I actually read through a bunch of reviews online, looking for one that softened but didn’t have perfume or anything that might irritate skin.  Luckily, I found several very favorable reviews for the whole Comfort line of fabric conditioners.  However, the Pure suited what I was looking for since it is dermatologically tested and totally hypoallergenic.  I tried it out and I really like it now.  It does a great job at softening all of the laundry, including the towels and stuff like my cashmere socks.  But even better, the Pure variety doesn’t have perfumes or anything else that would irritate my skin.  The clothes come out smelling really nice and fresh but not perfumey, which is great.  This is also recommended for babies because it’s so gentle on the skin.  Luckily for me, Costco had a very timely coupon for £2.50 off a big 5 liter container, so I should be good on fabric softener for a while.  5 liters for £4.99  (£7.49 – £2.50 coupon) (US $7.67).  Item #: 0073539.

Costco Deli Assorted Sandwich Try

Costco Deli Assorted Sandwich Try

Costco Deli Assorted Sandwich Tray – This was a bit of a disappointment, to be honest.  We usually have pretty good luck with the items from the Costco deli area, but these were some sad little sandwiches.  We saw this deli tray of assorted sandwiches and thought they would be perfect for a nice afternoon meal after we got back from Costco and maybe even a bit of a picnic in the park.  In any case, the sandwiches were okay but not really in the good category.  Not that there is much you can do to make a sandwich bad, unless you use nasty meat and stuff which wasn’t the case at Costco, but they were just very lackluster.  The sandwiches were an assortment of ham, roast beef, turkey, and egg salad on either white or whole wheat bread.  The sandwiches had just a smidge of mustard on them, and that was one of the problems.  They could have been a little more generous with the mustard and mayo, especially on the whole wheat bread.  The whole wheat bread was kind of dry, as it tends to be, and a fair portion of mustard and mayo definitely could have made it more enjoyable for the little sandwiches.  The other disappointing thing was that there were only 2 of the little sandwiches that actually had egg salad; Dave and I were both sad about that.  Needless to say I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone.  You can definitely make better sandwiches at home; don’t be as lazy as me.  24 sandwich havles for £6.49 (US $9.97).  Item #: 0071701.

Tags: Clothing · Coupons · Food · Health & Beauty · Household Items Share

1. 1 Costco Food Court News | Addicted To Costco! // 2010.04.27 at 6:04 am

[…] this time moving the venue to the food court for a little change of pace though.  There was a comment here not too long ago from Janice about a switch at her Portland, Oregon Costco food court from […]

2. 2 Emily (Bentobloggy) // 2010.04.20 at 8:44 pm

Sure thing, be happy to!

3. 3 brandy // 2010.04.20 at 8:48 am

I live two hours from my nearest Costco, so no, I won’t be volunteering. Yes, the UK stuff is interesting and I didn’t suggest that it be removed. What about doing a regular post in the RSS feed about looking for guest posters?

4. 4 Kimberly // 2010.04.20 at 7:40 am

Dan, thanks for sticking up for me! I’m definitely going to have to agree that there aren’t a whole lot of blogs devoted to the topic of Costco shopping. LOL

5. 5 Kimberly // 2010.04.20 at 7:37 am

Emily, I’d love to have you write a Guest Post! Whenever you have the time to write something up, just let me know. :-)

6. 6 Kimberly // 2010.04.20 at 7:36 am

Thanks to everyone that is still enjoying reading my posts about what I’m buying, even if the items might not be at the US stores. For those that are missing that, I’m sorry but since I’m in London all I can post about is what I’m buying here. However, I am always open to reviews and such from Guest Posters.

I have a whole page dedicated to information about sending me your Guest Post with suggestions on topics and information to include. I’ve published quite a few guest posts in the last year, including some posts that have just been requests for information from other Costco shoppers. I’m happy to help out and get these questions answered and everyone here seems really willing to give their opinion, so I think everyone benefits. If you’ve got something you want to write about, just let me know (read through the Guest Post page for specific details and my email address).

7. 7 Jenn // 2010.04.19 at 9:59 pm

I have the underwear and I’m quite pleased.

8. 8 Christina // 2010.04.18 at 10:18 pm

Has anyone ever tried the it se bit se cotton bikini underwear? Thanks

9. 9 Rob // 2010.04.17 at 11:52 pm

You could get Barqs at the Portland store? Wish they had that option in the Montgomeryville, PA store. Maybe I should talk to the store manager. Would like the root beer instead of Coke with my hot dog.

Liked the blog more when it was US oriented but still have it in my Google Reader list. I like the guest post idea.

10. 10 Janice Erickson // 2010.04.17 at 10:51 pm

News from Costco stores in Portland, Oregon area and am wondering if this will be company wide:

The Food Court is now carrying only Pepsi products in their beverage dispensers. I’m not a big soda person, but it was a bit of a shock to walk in and see Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Caffeine Free Mug Root Beer instead of the usual Coke products. So no more Minute Maid Light Lemonade for me or Bargs for my husband! I chatted with a store manager there as I assumed the change was possibly due to Costco’s off again/on again price debates with Coca-Cola. I was told that Costco does negoitate their contracts and Pepsi won this time obviously! So it sounds like this change will last for at least a year or two. Also, it appears as though the cups we are given are slightly smaller than the previous soda cups.

We don’t all do well with changes and this one I am not crazy about but at least they still have my favorite hot mochas and mocha freezes!

I will be happier if they bring Coke products back though and would really like it if they dumped their newer ATM machine which charges a fee, and went back to the old fee free Bank of America ATM. Oh well!

11. 11 Emily (Bentobloggy) // 2010.04.17 at 8:50 pm

I love the UK Costco posts! I regularly blog about Costco items myself, I’d be happy to contribute here as well.

12. 12 Jacqueline // 2010.04.17 at 3:33 pm

I go back and forth between California and the UK so I don’t mind either. You’re going to have to get used to some of the food in the UK tasting bland or “missing something”. I don’t think there is a new coupon book out yet. I usually get one in the mail before the current one expires, but nothing yet. Nothing at my local Costco either.

13. 13 Colleen // 2010.04.17 at 11:57 am

I think the UK posts are fascinating myself. Keep up the good work!

14. 14 Nabeela // 2010.04.17 at 11:50 am

I, personally, love your posts on London Costco items. So maybe we don’t have the same items here in US, but one can dream, right? :)

15. 15 Dan // 2010.04.17 at 9:44 am

Hey brandy & Corky, how about volunteering rather than whining? To paraphrase one of our great presidents, ask not what addictedtocostco.com can do for you, but what you can do for addictedtocostco.com.

As for Corky’s threat to get his detailed posts about what Costco is selling “elsewhere”, good luck with that.

Sheesh.

16. 16 Corky // 2010.04.17 at 9:05 am

I agree with the previous poster, @Brandy. I could give a big ding dong about what is available in the UK. I imagine most readers here are of the USA variety. That said, if I don’t start seeing USA posts, I will have to find my info elsewhere.

17. 17 brandy // 2010.04.17 at 7:49 am

i hate to say it, but the UK posts are kind of a novelty (yes, i know the beach towels are also available here and maybe the clothes, but most of the stuff you’ve featured is definitely UK only)…. but they aren’t really all that useful for regular readers. any plans to have guest US posters keep abreast of what’s available in US warehouses?