Guest Post: Some Arizona Costco Locations Switching To Interstate Batteries

August 24th, 2010 · 9 Comments

[Today's guest post is brought to us by Evan who lives in Arizona.  He's been a Costco member since he turned 21, 9 years ago, and before that he would use his parents membership.  He's been going since it was Price Club, since he was born.  He's also got a blog about Costco samples, over 1000 so far.]

Costco in Tempe, Arizona Switches from Kirkland Signature to Interstate Car Batteries

Interstate Car Batteries at Costco

Interstate Car Batteries

To my surprise, I found that on my visit today, Costco had switched from my standing favorite Kirkland Signature brand batteries to Interstate car batteries.

For automotive applications the warranty seems to be a bit less, as I believe the Kirkland Signature batteries had a 36 month full replacement  warranty, where the Interstate batteries have only a 30 month full replacement.

Car Batteries at Costco

Car Batteries at Costco

Over the years, I have put many Kirkland Signature car batteries in my vehicles and they have done well, especially considering how the Arizona summer is notorious for killing batteries. The warranty exchange was always hassle free, and I drove with confidence knowing I had Kirkland under my hood. I will miss my Kirkland Signature batteries.

Also note that they still do carry the Optima brand high end batteries as well.  I have confirmed that the Chandler Costco made the switch to Interstate car batteries, as well.

Tags: Guest Posts · Household Items Share

1. 1 Ted // 2014.08.15 at 8:22 am

I found this while searching for info, so I thought I’d post an update (four years later). In my Costco in southern Ohio they sell only Interstate batteries and do not sell Kirkland Signature anymore (this may be true across the board). The Costco employee told me that it’s 100% the same battery just without the KS stickers. The warranty is now 42 months 100% replacement and then prorated for an additional 18 months I think (thought it could be a bit longer). In any case, the full warranty on the Costco-sold Interstate batteries is now longer than the KS batteries had been.

• 2 Ted // 2014.08.15 at 8:24 am

I’ll reply to myself – I’m pretty sure that the tail of the warranty is beyond what my comment stated above. But the 100% replacement is definitely 42 months.

2. 3 CostcoFan2013 // 2012.11.26 at 1:14 am

When I make a Costco Auto Battery purchase, I only have the Auto Battery purchase on my Costco receipt to keep it clean, short and simple. I write “CAR BATTERY” at the top of the receipt in bold black ink. I make a copy (prevents fading) of my Battery Receipt and keep it in the glove box in a plastic clear envelope with the Auto insurance card and Auto registration card. That way I know where the most important papers are at all times. If I need to replace my Costco Auto Battery before 100 months, then I have my receipt ready to show for a quick replacement, and repeating simple steps above.

3. 4 Cindy // 2012.07.05 at 2:40 pm

Not all is as it seems. Purchased an Interstate Battery in AZ 7 months ago and it failed in Iowa. The Iowa Costco would only replace the battery with a Kirkland battery as long as I paid the difference in price from 11/2011 and 06/2012. So much for the 30-36 month warranty.

4. 5 Evan’s Costco Sample Photostream | Addicted To Costco! // 2010.10.05 at 6:54 am

[...] no matter how much willpower you have, eventually they get you.  One of my reader’s, and previous guest poster, Evan, has gotten so into the Costco samples that he’s started a flickr photostream dedicated [...]

5. 6 sean // 2010.09.15 at 1:25 am

The kirkland signature batteries are manufactured by interstate, they are the same batteries.

6. 7 Ken // 2010.09.01 at 12:51 am

Evan, I agree with you may not seem like 6 months makes a big difference but in the sweltering heat, batteries tend to poop out near the 36 month mark. I just had a costco battery go out a 41 months, so they pro-rated it 60%.

7. 8 Justin // 2010.08.25 at 9:22 am

In my opinion the best deal for batteries in AZ is with AAA. They come with a 36 mo warranty and they have a battery truck that comes out to you.

8. 9 tle // 2010.08.24 at 10:14 am

I run all my BMW on Interstate batteries. A third less the price than OEM and last just as long. Now with Costco warranty, it is a sweet deal!