Costco Personal Health Insurance from Aetna

September 30th, 2010 · 8 Comments

With all of the recent changes to health insurance in the US, there is an increasing need for individuals to purchase their own health insurance.  And for just that reason, you might be pleased to learn that Costco has partnered with Aetna to offer personal health insurance to members.  Unfortunately, it is currently available only to members that reside in Georgia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Texas.

Costco Personal Health Insurance by Aetna

Costco Personal Health Insurance

All Costco members receive benefits such as coverage for preventative care, with no deductible, as well as access to Aetna’s network.  Executive members also receive the additional benefit of Health Advocate services.  This service, carried out by a third party, is designed to help you understand and make the most of your health insurance benefits.  As well as those benefits, Costco members also receive the following:

• Premiums negotiated exclusively for Costco members
  • Lower co-payments at Costco retail pharmacies
  • Benefits for preventive care without having to pay a deductible
  • Access to nationwide Aetna physician and hospital network
  • Secure member web site/online health records
  • 24/7 toll free nurse line
  • Dental insurance benefits available for an additional premium

There are several levels of coverage available to fit different budgets and needs.  The plans come with different levels of annual deductibles for preferred network care: $3,000, $5,000, $7,500, and an HSA compatible plan with a $3,500 deductible.  All of these deductibles are based on using the Aetna Preferred Network of health care providers; I assume the deductible is higher for out of network health care services.  But if you’re worried you won’t be able to find a doctor near you, I wouldn’t worry too much.  There are 921,000 total health care providers, with 528,000 primary care and specialist doctors, and more than 5,100 hospitals in the Aetna Network.  That’s quite a wide network.  In addition to health care plans, you can also get dental insurance, for an additional premium.

Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible for these insurance plans.  Obviously, you need to be a Costco member and the primary applicant must be between the ages of 19 and 64 3/4 years of age.  However, dependent children are still eligible, as long as they meet the state requirements for age.  And there are some disqualifying health conditions as well, such as insulin dependent diabetes, a cancer diagnoses in the last five years, and a few other situations.

For full information on these insurance plans, you should see the Aetna Costco Personal Health Insurance website.  At the website, you can find out about the various plans and their associated deductibles, if you qualify, additional Executive member benefits, and why you should choose Costco/Aetna insurance.  You can also apply online or get a quote.  If you’d rather talk to a live person, you can call 1.888.242.0989 for more information and quotes.

Tags: costco.com · Health & Beauty · services Share

1. 1 still stunned // 2010.10.24 at 8:38 pm

There is an extensive list of things that are NOT deemed medically necessary. Be sure to read this document before you sign up. It almost makes the plan pointless yet it costs $800 to get a low deductible family plan

• 2 Kimberly // 2010.10.26 at 6:05 am

@Stunned, I’m really bummed to hear this. I was hoping that Costco was really trying to get a good situation for its members. I’m just curious, what kinds of things are deemed medically unnecessary?

2. 3 Costcollect // 2010.10.21 at 6:32 am

I looked forward to the full transparency and fairness of this health insurance option when I read about it in the mailer. Sure enough the first couple of online comments reflect nothing but the same that you get from any other insurance company out there these days. Everybody is down on the Health Care Plan. I don’t believe it addresses all the problems out there…but sure enough by 2014 you folks won’t have to worry about getting coverage if you have a pre-existing condition. Shame on Costco for not working this out with Aetna as of today!

I was going to look into switching from my Blue X plan….but I think I’ll wait now. Looks like we need more legislation to break the insurance game before we get this fixed. Rest assured with the largest demographic bubble of all time heading towards the health needs of aging….you can bet this will all get shaken up. The one thing for sure, folks over age 50 are the most reliable voters.

3. 4 Kimberly // 2010.10.01 at 6:14 am

I’m a little confused about that too. However, I think health insurance that you are buying for yourself is different than group plans with regards to covering all pre-existing conditions. I’m not an expert on this by any means, but I do believe that individual plans such as this, have more latitude with what they accept or cover. Personally, I don’t know why it should matter if you’ve had continuous insurance coverage, like for other things they consider pre-existing conditions.

4. 5 Consfused // 2010.10.01 at 6:07 am

Not that I blame the beancounters at the insurance company who want to make a profit, but I thought that excluding people due to preexisting conditions (such as Type 1 diabetes) wasn’t allowed anymore.

5. 6 Tweets that mention Costco Personal Health Insurance from Aetna | Addicted To Costco! -- Topsy.com // 2010.09.30 at 5:01 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kurt, Larry Costco. Larry Costco said: Costco Personal Health Insurance from Aetna | Addicted To Costco! http://bit.ly/bwdFhh – cool blog post […]

6. 7 Kimberly // 2010.09.30 at 9:29 am

Yes, as I mentioned the plans are only available in Georgia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Texas. So, just the four states right now.

7. 8 deepak // 2010.09.30 at 9:13 am

its not available in NY, i tried to get quote for my relatives and it showed me an error saying not available in your area.