Alcoholic Chocolate Milk at Costco?

January 5th, 2011 · 8 Comments

I’m sure your first reaction will be similar to mine:  Really?  Is this a joke?  Is it already April Fools Day?  And sadly, the answer is ‘no’.  You can actually buy an alcoholic chocolate milk drink at Costco locations in California, apparently.  The drink is called Adult Chocolate Milk and comes in a cute bottle with a swing top, like old ale bottles.  But it’s a 40 proof chocolate milk drink!  Seriously, Costco?

40 Proof Chocolate Milk at Costco

40 Proof Chocolate Milk at Costco

I often write about the funny products that I run across at Costco stores or online at Costco.com.  And this puzzles me as much as some of the other things I’ve seen.  This, er, refreshing milk drink was thought up by a mom in Newport Beach, California and then refined along with a friend before they started marketing and selling it.  They initially targeted the drink at NFL players and rappers to get a foothold on sales and a target market.  However, now you can find it at Costco too, if you live in California.  A blogger for OC Weekly, Edwin Goei, snapped a picture (the one shown to the right) of the Adult Chocolate Milk on sale in the Tustin, California Costco location.  According to him it was right inside the door along the fence; so a really prime spot in the store.

After a visit to the Adult Chocolate Milk website I see that soon you will be able to enjoy some other flavors too: Adult Orange Cream, Adult Fruit Punch, and Adult Limeade.  They say on their website that it answers your nostalgia for you childhood, but with a an alcoholic update and that it tastes just like chocolate milk.  However, others online say it tastes similar to Bailey’s.  Maybe it’s just me but when I’m nostalgic for a glass of chocolate milk, like I had when I was a kid, I have a glass of chocolate milk, and don’t need the alcohol to turn it into something else.  If you’re not fortunate enough to be able to pick this up at your Costco because you’re not in California, maybe you can still find it somewhere in your state, just check out the Locations section on their website.

To me, this seems like a strange product for Costco to be selling.  But maybe it isn’t as odd as I think.  What do you think?  I guess on the up side, at least it’s clearly labeled so someone won’t pick it up by accident for their kids.

For more information:

Tags: Costco in Blogs · Food · In the News Share

1. 1 Katie // 2011.01.18 at 8:02 pm

It’s in the alcohol section. Unless the parent is drunk at the time, I doubt anybody will pick it up for their kids. There’s no need for such a frantic frenzied reaction.

2. 2 Jason // 2011.01.07 at 2:44 pm

This is simply a chocolate-flavored liqeur and it is delicious! I see no problem with Costco or any other liquor retailer carrying this. The bottle is a great design and taps into the vintage glass milk bottle. There are plenty of other wines and liqours that could be accused of using minor-friendly names, flavors and packaging.

3. 3 Kim // 2011.01.06 at 6:24 pm

“Milk Punch” drinks are really trending right now. How is this drink markedly different from, say, those fake milkish alcohol drinks like, Bailey’s Irish Cream? Love me some White Russians and I get to mix those myself which is a good thing!

4. 4 Mar // 2011.01.06 at 12:11 am

It’s like a giant bottle of white Russian’s.
    How can we keep getting crazy over kids drinking when the Adults are drinking, driving and not setting the example? Like I tell my kids everything in Moderation. Use your head. Think, learn, don’t be stupid. It’s very unrealistic to think teens won’t drink. You have to parent them, teach them and pray they make the right decisions in life.

5. 5 Russ // 2011.01.05 at 6:15 pm

I am not really pleased with the idea of this as a gateway to alcohol for kids. When I had a problem with the neighborhood kids (including one of mine) trying cigarettes, it was the Camel Crush, a cigarette seemingly designed to help kids, esp the younger ones, get over the bad, unfamiliar taste (and then presumably move on to something else once they were hooked). Now I have alcoholic chocolate milk…. Does it come with a sippy cup?

6. 6 Travis // 2011.01.05 at 3:01 pm

I have to agree with SoCal Bandit (though my NorCal roots feel disheartened :P). Costco already sells a number of products similar to this which appeal to a youth market (the giant case of Mike’s hard lemonade being at the top of the list). Also, the picture seems to show what looks like champagne alongside it, leading me to believe that this wasn’t in the middle of a “Youth” display (IE: movie tickets right next to it) near the fence. Instead, I can see how this might appeal to the holiday crowd and it seems reasonable that Costco would carry it if it is a good product in high demand…although personally the idea of adult chocolate milk just sounds like a really bad hangover. Why not opt for the delicious (and new?) Kirkland Anejo tequila or massive Kirkland Vodka (probably less expensive) they sell in beautiful California as well!

• 7 Kimberly // 2011.01.06 at 5:58 am

I guess what I really meant was that this is a weird product for anyone to sell, not just Costco. It just seems weird to me. However, I’m a big milk drinker and the thought of adding alcohol into the mix just makes my stomach want to run and hide, honestly. And of course, there is a bit of a worry that kids would be attracted to something like this, kind of like that alcohol infused whipped cream that they sold (though I don’t think Costco stocked it ever) for a while. I can see how these things appeal to people who like mixed drinks but for the most part they just sound kind of yucky to me.

7. 8 SoCal Bandit // 2011.01.05 at 11:50 am

I don’t see anything unusual / strange about Costco selling this. They sell a great range of other alcoholic drinks ranging from wine to beer and high end tequila to Baileys. I had quite a lot of Baileys during the Christmas holiday but I might have to give this new drink a try :-)