Guest Post: Desperately Seeking Northern Arizona Costco

January 18th, 2011 · 9 Comments

[I received this great letter from a new reader to my blog, Laura, who is (as the title suggests) hoping that Costco will consider building a warehouse in the Flagstaff, Arizona area.  I loved her email so much, I asked her if I could use it for a guest post; I love the stories of such Costco dedication!  She’s been a member since the days of Price Club, and even without a local store they still recoup their Executive Membership fees every year.  Come on, Costco, don’t make her continue to be forced into shopping at Sam’s Club; that is just cruel!]

Desperately Seeking Northern Arizona Costco

Just found your lovely site while looking for reviews on All Wood Cabinets. I consider myself a Costco addict as well. We live in the “house that Costco built”, sometimes I look around and am amazed at the sheer percentage of stuff we acquire at Costco. From our living room furniture, garage doors, beds, sheets, cookware, flatware, towels, food for humans, pets and even horses, down to this laptop and my engagement ring!

We have spent part of not one, but two vacations in London trekking out to the Costco in Chingford, taking the train from Waterloo station, transferring to a bus and walking about a mile. We lived in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan and took coolers full of steaks and scallops purchased in DC at the Pentagon City Costco back to Central Asia via Frankfurt. They were a huge hit at the American Embassy parties!

Now we make our summer home in Flagstaff, AZ. Our nearest Costco is 85 miles away in Prescott, and the next closest is 130 miles away. We had to *GASP* buy a membership to Sam’s (yuck!). There was a Costco in the works but it was scrapped or postponed; can’t get the real story. We are so miserable without Costco and can’t believe this large, vibrant, affluent college town busting with tourists, students and year-round residents is deprived so cruelly. C’mon Costco, we have the population base and there is a superb location near I-40 on the East end of town, possibly outside of the city limits and the attendant anti-growth BS of the town’s board of idiots.

For the last four years, we have been stopping at customer service, dropping off suggestion cards, and even spoke to our local Chamber of Commerce president. We are serious about Costco.

How can our voices be heard?

I’d like to add that my personal addictions from Costco are the Sweet Mesquite seasoning on popcorn and just about any meat (discontinued for awhile and now back–I found an online seller that had it and bought 5 jars at great expense so I wouldn’t run out!) Now my daily breakfast is Fage Greek yogurt sprinkled with Grape Nuts and a drizzle of Organic Blue Agave. Yum.

Thanks for the great website. It’s nice to know others are as passionate about Costco as we are. I have found myself, instead of counting sheep, counting the items I buy at Costco to soothe me to sleep at night. Is that so wrong?

Tags: Guest Posts · Locations Share

1. 1 Marcin Ksok // 2013.01.23 at 9:12 pm

Second that, I just moved to Flagstaff, was forced to get a s-club card. From what locals said costco was due to come in but the city did not allow for it, yet the second Walmart opened shortly after. Just what I heard.

2. 2 Vicky // 2012.04.22 at 12:57 pm

We need one in the Arizona white mountain area. We buy our stuff in Phoenix and take it all the way to Show Low.

3. 3 Dave // 2011.08.08 at 7:52 pm

We just moved to Cottonwood (about 50 miles south of Flagstaff. We would drive to Flagstaff to shop as well. I would much rather drive 70 miles at 75 mph on a divided highway than 45 miles on two lane roads to Prescott.

If you build it we will come…

4. 4 Turtle // 2011.01.22 at 9:48 am

They’re not coming to Oklahoma because relative to the rest of the developed nation there’s NOTHING in Oklahoma. Why do you think Uncle Sam was so happy to grant the Cherokee Indians (a farming culture) rather large swatches of reservation land there as opposed to more desirable land in the nation??

I know because I was born & lived there. It’s so desolate – based on the size of population (again compared to other cities and their much larger populations) in Oklahoma it would be a VERY LONG TIME before Costco got a strong ROI (return on investment). There are very literally 100 other cities around our very large geographical nation that would fair better with a Costco before Oklahoma should ever see one.

5. 5 Wilma Greenfield // 2011.01.20 at 3:44 pm

We desparately need a Costco in Oklahoma. There are none! We go to Texas a couple of times a year to go to Costco. We lived and belonged in Florida for years, loved it and still belong! We also went to one in Japan for 2 years! Why oh why isn’t there one in Oklahoma??? Costco is in the dark ages when it comes to expansion to TULSA, OKLAHOMA. It would be a win-win game for ALL!!
    Many, many of us want you here and bemoan the fact that you are not here. Sam’s is here and is a lost cause, can’t begin to compare to Costco!! PLEASE CONSIDER TULSA!!!

6. 6 Emily (Bentobloggy) // 2011.01.19 at 5:28 pm

Great letter, give these people their Costcos! :)

7. 7 Nan // 2011.01.19 at 12:40 pm

We’ve been considering relocating and Costco is definitely on our list of amenties we would need in a new location. Right now, we’re 50+ miles from the Costco in Brandon, FL and go once a month or so. We’re supposedly getting a Costco here but the chosen site shows no sign that it will be soon.

8. 8 Clue // 2011.01.19 at 3:51 am

When we bought our new house last year, its proximity to a Costco was a big criterion. It’s easier to go to where they are than to hope, pray and wish that they come to you!

There is a good chance that my spouse’s employer will be relocating their operations in the next 5 years to a locale outside of the city which would easily double the already lengthy commute. For most folks, the natural inclination would be to move closer to the new work campus. But we aren’t budging unless or until a Costco goes up in withn a reasonable distance of that area too.

Yep, it’s that important! 😉

9. 9 Denise Tzouganatos // 2011.01.18 at 10:20 am

I feel the same way. We moved from Clifton NJ to Goshen NY and the nearest Costco is 80 miles away! PLEASE OH PLEASE Costco, come to Goshen NY!! Come to anywhere in Orange County NY and I’ll find you!!

Our motto is: If Costco don’t have it, we don’t need it. I too, HAD a Sam’s membership…CANCELLED IT!! HATED IT!!! BJ’s the same. I was the FIRST in line when the Clifton NJ store opened in 1992. COSTCO….PLEASE COME TO ORANGE COUNTY NY!!