No More DVDs or Books at Costco.com

January 20th, 2011 · 9 Comments

Have you been looking through Costco.com lately wondering where all the movies and books have gone?  Well, so did one of my other readers, Jeff (thanks, Jeff, for pointing this out).  So, I did some searching and finally asked the Costco.com customer service people what had happened to all of the DVDs.  Luckily, they were able to shed some light on the missing movies, unfortunately, not everyone is going to be happy with the response, I’m guessing.  Here’s their response:

DVDs from Costco

DVDs from Costco

Unfortunately, Costco.com is no longer selling books or movies although an assortment of these items will still be offered at your local warehouse.

It is our goal to provide our members with the highest quality name-brand products while keeping our stock focused on the best selling items.  Since we price our items as low as possible, all items must demonstrate high sales in order for us to continue to stock them on our site.

So, if you turn to Costco.com for your movies or books, sadly, you’ll need to find a new place to shop.  However, the good news is that you will still be able to find movies and books at your local warehouse.  I’m so glad to hear that they’re not going to stop selling books and movies at the warehouses too because they are top spot for buying these items; mostly impulse buying.  The prices are competitive and I can pick them up when I’m doing the rest of my shopping, which cuts down on another trip to someplace else.

Tags: Books · costco.com · DVDs · Electronics Share

1. 1 karen // 2013.08.24 at 1:32 am

I am a Costco employee. The best way to get requests or concerns on products is to leave a written note in the “tell us what you think” box near the exit door. It is corporate who make the decisions on products not the individual warehouses. At the end of each day they have to send the written requests in so if you want a product, drop in a note every time you are in and ask all your friends and family to do the same, if corporate gets enoph requests they may consider this item :-)
    Not all Costcos carry the same products all the time, they rotate products to keep it interesting and to up sales. Some items are seasonal while others are a one time deal because a vender may want to get their product noticed so they may often loose $ or make very little having it at a low price at Costco hoping people will love it and then search else were to buy it.. As for the pretzels? Could be they are just temporarily gone, we try to get new items and or try something simular to see if it will sell just as well. Sometimes they may take an item out because it may come back with diff packaging as like a twin pack so this would mean a new item # so just keep checking each time you come buy to shop. Karen

2. 2 cathy // 2013.01.28 at 7:15 pm

Won’t do any good to look online for prices of dvds and books with the idea of shopping at the warehouse. I live between 2 Costcos–both have gotten rid of books and movies with plans to do that with all the warehouses probably by year’s end. The associate I spoke to said they may bring ‘coffee table’ books back as a seasonal item when they stock for the holidays. Bad idea in my view, but their decision.

3. 3 Harry // 2013.01.01 at 2:17 pm

Being a wheelchair person I shop mostly online. I read and watch movies a lot. Since these have been removed from Costco Online, it is no longer practical for me to shop or purchase books and movies from Costco. Jeff Bezos is very accommodating and will be getting my money.

4. 4 Bev // 2012.11.07 at 8:20 pm

Please continue to list DVD’s and Books O/L with”PRICES” regardless if available in warehouse only.

• 5 Kimberly // 2012.11.19 at 8:05 am

@Bev – That would be a really great idea to list the prices. Plus, it would be good to let shoppers know what books and DVDs are available in the warehouse.

5. 6 Shirley Rapp // 2012.08.02 at 1:37 pm

I got news for you……according to the Costco store in Santa Rosa, Calif, Costco will not be carrying books anymore. Too many people bought them on Friday and returned them on Monday. They lost money.

6. 7 Brian // 2012.04.28 at 6:36 am

@Margie Have they brought back the Snyder’s pretzels at your warehouse location?

7. 8 Loren // 2012.04.07 at 11:54 pm

It’s quite annoying. I went to Costco.com with the intention of only finding out the price of a DVD I intend to buy at the warehouse. If they aren’t going to sell them online, they should at least have them listed online with the price and then prompt shoppers to go to the warehouse to buy them. That way, I won’t have to waste my time going to the warehouse only to find that they do not even carry the DVD I wanted or that it is overpriced compared to a competitor’s listing.

8. 9 Margie // 2011.01.20 at 11:20 am

Last item on my Costco list yesterday was the big tub of Snyder’s pretzels.
    They were no where to be found.
    A lady serving samples said I wasn’t the only one looking for them.
    I know foods come and go at Costco and they all have their fans, but pretzels? Come on. So how do I go about begging Costco to bring back one of the basic snack food groups?