Guest Post: Who Makes the MAX Leather Rocker Recliner?

January 26th, 2011 · 15 Comments

Do you know who makes this chair?

Do you know who makes this chair?

I’ve got another reader with a question for all of you Costco shoppers.  Nancy, has been trying to find out who is the manufacturer of a great leather recliner that she saw at the Roseville, California Costco location for a couple of weeks before it was gone, gone, gone.  So, like all of us, she learned the hard way that sometimes you have to move fast when you spot something you like at Costco.  In any case, here’s what she has to say:

I’ve been trying to find out who the manufacturer is so I can find it online and buy it for my husband.  When we tried it out at the warehouse, it was very comfortable and a great value $445.00 as I recall.  I knew we should have acted sooner than later, but I’m hoping one of your readers knows who the manufacturer is.

Thanks!  Nancy

So, I’m hoping someone here can share some information about the manufacturer.  Unfortunately, the chair was on Costco.com but is no longer available there, but you can still find the reviews, if you’re interested.

Tags: Decorating · Furniture · Guest Posts · Household Items Share

1. 1 tia // 2016.10.04 at 8:51 am

lazy boy makes Maxx rocker recliner. Also available in cloth. Prices start at $1099!!!!!!

2. 2 brian // 2012.06.21 at 3:36 pm

I bought a pair of these recliners a little over a year ago. They look nice and the mechanism has worked fine. One of the recliners is normally used by me (Dad-210 lbs), and one of the recliners is normally used by my 100lb son. Mine has flattened considerable in the seat – and not evenly. It tilts to one side. I was going to just return the chairs, but we do like them. I would like to contact the manufacturer and see if they will replace the seat cushion or if they have other ideas. The weblink above does not work – does anyone have any other leads for Max Loftgood recliner chairs?

3. 3 Laura Parker // 2011.03.03 at 1:03 pm

A bit behind the curve here, but in response to the Max recliners by LoftGoods, we quickly ordered a pair when the online special popped up. They are now sold out. As of this morning, 3/3, my review has not appeared on the Costco.com web page. We received the recliners in record time, but after assembling one (easy but also easy to make a fairly critical mistake on) we decided to return them. The reclining mechanism ceased to function after 4 uses. Locked into place. The leather seemed nice and the price at $499 delivered was excellent. As much as I adore Costco, the quality level seems to have slipped. I used to know that whatever I bought at Costco would not only be less costly but also better quality than items offered elsewhere. I am sad to say that is no longer my view. I would not voice my opinions in this forum if I didn’t feel that if you love someone, you need to tell them when they should be doing better. Addicted to Costco seems to have the ear of Costco Corporate. Please listen to your fans! I never used to return products, now I have$1000 worth of chairs and a set of sheets I have to load in my truck and return. The sheets were so pretty I purchased two sets, but the performance of the ones I have used for only 3 weeks is so bad I won’t keep the other unused set. I hate to return items, despite the prompt and cheerful service I always get at the service desk. It would be so much better to know I would be happy with every purchase as I have been for years and years. For now, we will happily continue to use the Costco leather cigar chairs we purchased in about 1999. They are as sturdy and comfortable as the day we bought them. The Max chairs were inferior in every way.

4. 4 Kimberly C // 2011.02.22 at 11:16 am

Did y’all catch that? The rocker is back online!!

5. 5 Chair // 2011.02.21 at 12:31 pm

On sale $499.00 Costco.com Item # 532536

6. 6 neelie // 2011.02.04 at 1:04 pm

@Ed & Kimberly – yes, the seasonal/rotation thing is strange. I understand holiday foods and decorations, and summer things like pool supplies. But peppers?? It very well might be a supplier issue with the peppers. Unfortunately, they are perishable (need refrigeration) so even if they did show up again, not sure how many I could get at any one time.

Another product I really liked that was not there was a roasted red pepper & tomato soup that came in a box…like their organic chicken broth. I think there were six boxes in a case. Those are gone from the shelves, too. When I asked about that product I was told they just don’t have it now. Luckily I found something similar at Trader Joe’s.

Guess I’ll have to hope that when spring rolls around those little red peppers might come back in season!

7. 7 Ed // 2011.02.03 at 10:45 am

@Neelie – The seasonal comment is kind of funny. It seems that ‘seasonal’ for Costco is basically a rotation schedule. With limited space they can only carry ###items so instead of keeping one item, (stuffed peppers) which may or may not be a great seller, year round, they rotate it every 6 months with something similar (stuffed mushrooms?). That way when you see it again you stock up and sales seem to be more even over the 12 months of two items than 12 months of one item.
    I have noticed this with Band-Aids and First Aid kits, you either see one or the other on a rotation.

• 8 Kimberly // 2011.02.04 at 5:40 am

The seasonal thing is totally weird. I don’t sit around at a particular time of year and think that stuffed peppers would be great now, but certainly not in January. However, maybe this is a supplier thing, perhaps they can’t get quality fresh peppers to stuff at certain times of year so they have to stop production. I know that there were some chocolate cookies that Costco has seasonally because the company that makes them won’t produce them when they might melt in transit to the stores. And I really loved those cookies and didn’t think they would be seasonal either.

Or, maybe they are just temporarily out of them. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that they make it back to your store soon!

8. 9 neelie // 2011.01.28 at 10:27 am

@Kimberly – the product is called “SweetyPepps” by Norpaco. They are these incredibly delicious sweet/spicy round red peppers from Peru, stuffed with a most yummy goat cheese and marinated in olive oil. They were found in the cheese section of the deli area. They’re a bit pricey, but they were kind of like dessert for me. I tried to make a jar last as long as possible, but sometimes it didn’t work.

I did call customer service yesterday at the store where I shop and the young lady told me the product has been deleted from their list of stocked items. She said they “might” be considered a seasonal item (WHAT season are stuffed peppers in??) and that they might come back again, but suggested that each time I visit the store, I should fill out a suggestion form and drop it in the box near the exit of the store. She said if they get enough requests for or to bring back a particular product, they might try to accommodate the customers. I’m not holding my breath. Instead, I’m trying to find out where else I might be able to find these delicious little stuffed peppers.

Glad you got the info on the chair!

9. 10 Kimberly // 2011.01.28 at 5:31 am

@Neelie – what was the product that they’re no longer carrying? I hate it when that happens. It makes me so sad. I know that they have relatively few products on their shelves (unlike Walmart, for instance), so I logically get that they can’t keep everything around, but it still sucks when they get rid of something I like to buy.

10. 11 Kimberly // 2011.01.28 at 5:30 am

Good news from the Costco Customer Support people, they were able to give me the manufacturer information for the chair. Here’s a link to their website: http://loftgoods.com/ .

11. 12 neelie // 2011.01.27 at 2:45 pm

Kimberly, I hope you have success in finding what you’re seeking. I usually try my own searches first, and then if I still have no luck I try customer service. But when an item is out of stock I’d sense that maybe customer service could hopefully get you at least info on the manufacturer.

Yesterday I was at my Costco in Tucson and couldn’t find an item I liked to buy. I finally had to ask a customer service person, and after going and checking, he found that the item is no longer in their inventory….dang.

12. 13 Kimberly // 2011.01.27 at 5:41 am

You know the Costco customer service people are almost always my first place to turn with questions like this, but I totally dropped the ball and forgot to do it. Thanks for the reminder!

13. 14 neelie // 2011.01.27 at 5:36 am

Have you tried contacting Costco customer service to see if they have any information?

14. 15 Garrigus Real Estate // 2011.01.26 at 4:21 pm

I have been having the same issue re-finding this recliner!!! I hope someone comments with an answer soon. I’d love to have this chair for my den! BTW, I love your site, here. I just found it and will be coming back!