Guest Post: Where did the Pacific Organic Chicken Broth Go?

August 23rd, 2011 · 41 Comments

[Today I’ve got a Guest Post and Question from a faithful Costco fan in Atlanta.  The post is about the Pacific Organic Chicken Broth and how it appears to be on the way out to make room for Kirkland Signature broth.  Which would be fine, but apparently it isn’t as good as the Pacific Organic version, so that is not so good.  She also gives her feedback on the KS Greek Yogurt:  not up to Fage standards.  Be sure to read  her email signature too.  As someone that really does love to cook and is an admirer of Julia Child and actual chefs, it just totally made me laugh out loud.]

Has Costco ceased carrying Pacific Organic Chicken Broth?

Why has Costco stopped selling this?

I’m the “store brand queen.”  I’m not a brand name snob so I frequently purchase Kirkland Signature products vs. a national brand.  Whenever I see a new Kirkland Signature issue (like the recent Greek yogurt), I like to give it a try so I can either a) replace the national brand with Kirkland Signature, saving money, or b) write it off and get it out of the way.  Unfortunately, Kirkland Signature chicken stock is not nearly as flavorful or robust as Pacific Organic which can be heated directly from the carton and sipped like consomme.  Kirkland Signature stock is anemic in color and has barely any aroma.  When I make a pan sauce or a short-cut soup, I need as much flavor infused into the dish as possible.  Kirkland Signature does not accomplish this.  This is one of the few Kirkland Signature products that falls short of the more expensive “brand” name product.

Recently, I have not seen Pacific Organic Chicken Broth sold in its bulk package but I’ve been seeing Kirkland Signature  stock featured prominently.  I live in Atlanta, Georgia and it appears as though this unit is no longer carrying Pacific broth.   I’m eventually going to have to find a place to purchase the Pacific Organic in bulk, and I’m not fond of having to stop at multiple stores, especially warehouse stores.  Short of that, I’ll go back to making my own chicken stock and freezing it.  (Damned Pacific got me spoiled and I let my own stock go by the wayside…LOL.)

I’ll be going to Costco this morning for Greek yogurt amongst other things.  Fage is on sale for $4.99 for the giant container.  Kirkland Signature Greek yogurt is another one of the few products that flopped for me.  It separates and the mouthfeel is nowhere near Fage.  I use Fage in place of sour cream, even on my nachos – and my 20 year old nephew (who loves my nachos) can never tell it’s not sour cream!
Thanks,
Chiffonade,
ATL, GA

Julia Child, Culinary Trailblazer
Shirley O. Corriher, Culinary Scientist
Sandra Lee, Culinary Antichrist
You’re a real person, eat real food.

Tags: Food · Guest Posts Share

1. 1 Beverly // 2014.06.01 at 10:07 pm

Have corn allergy. Thought I read the label carefully. Had a bad reaction after drinking chicken stock alone after having the flu. Read the label again. The natural flavor s must contain corn in some form. Now it will take several days for me to feel better. Learned my lesson!

• 2 Beverly // 2014.06.01 at 10:24 pm

This was the Kirkland brand.

2. 3 Carlyn // 2013.12.06 at 8:34 pm

I will not buy Kirkland Organic Chicken Stock again EVER!! I have been an avid label reader for years. I get sick from so many things gluten, wheat, corn anything (GMO IS POISON to my body), MSG, glutamates, carageenan, hydrolyzed protein, natural flavoring (yea right) extracts of many kinds are processed with very toxic chemicals. I was in a rush for Thanksgiving and I saw this is the only option at Costco. A quick glance at the label. I didn’t look at the label close enough as I never buy anything with natural flavoring. I have been sick since Thanksgiving migraines etc. I haven’t been out of my pajamas! This product is toxic to me! I cook with a lot of chicken broth & everyday since Thanksgiving dinner with leftovers & soup! Yes soup seemed so good with this freezing weather! Going to detox now with fresh organic veges & friut juice, freshly extracted by me! ♥

• 4 chiffonade // 2013.12.07 at 6:58 am

Costco insists it’s organic and I must confess, I’m lucky enough not to be forced to read labels as closely as you. The reason I don’t use it is simple – it is one of the RARE FEW store brand products by Kirkland/Costco that (literally) pales in comparison to the name brand product. It’s pallid in color and devoid of flavor.

3. 5 EdK // 2012.08.28 at 9:14 am

It’s still out there at some Costco stores. Sanatoga PA has continued to restock inventory, so it must be at some distribution centers.

4. 6 Mary // 2012.08.27 at 5:36 pm

I miss the pacific brand of organic chicken broth at Costco and have asked Costco to bring back the Pacific brand to no avail. Perhaps we need to deluge Costco with requests to bring back Pacific organic chicken broth. I’m working on this!

5. 7 Chiffonade // 2012.02.09 at 10:07 am

It would surprise me greatly if Costco “wished away” ANY customers. Businesses aren’t built on sending customers away because they request something. Kirkland yogurt will never rival Fage unless they reformulate it – go back to the drawing board. Whatever Fage is doing, they’re doing it right. People who shop at Costco are not in the habit of compromising if it means buying a lesser product. This is a distinct difference from Sam’s Club members who will buy a store brand product, even if it is not on par with a name brand product. (Just an observation – and believe me, I’ve asked people about this.)

• 8 Kimberly // 2012.02.09 at 10:11 am

I agree with you, Chiffonade. People that prefer the Fage are not going to start buying the KS yogurt just because it is all that is available at Costco. There are a few other items that Costco has introduced under the Kirkland Signature brand that they have had to re-work to please customers and I’m guessing this yogurt is going to have to be one of them.

6. 9 FageYoLover // 2012.02.09 at 9:23 am

My Costco is not going to carry the large tubs of Fage Nonfat Plain Yogurt. Its their brand or the highway. I hope the other stores are telling you the truth and not just buying time hoping the complaining customers will go away or get frustrated and use the Kirkland brand.

7. 10 chiffonade // 2012.02.06 at 2:35 pm

I bought some Fage today and it expires, unopened, on March 12. I think people equate the “sell by” date with how long the product will last, even if opened. This is not true. As for the “health” problems – A costco employee told me that was about Chobani, not Fage.

8. 11 Marie // 2012.02.05 at 5:35 pm

That’s the ONLY reason you have a membership? That’s kind of sad. Especially since chiffonade is right, the Fage in large containers is back. Some people were concerned it was pulled for health reasons. What’s interesting is once they brought it back to my costco it now has red lettering on the back that says to keep it refrigerated and to consume within a few (maybe 3-5? i can’t remember, maybe it’s a week) of opening. So some people were probably expecting it to last for an indefinite amount of time and were getting sick off of yogurt that had been opened for a long time. That’s my theory anyway. In any case, check your Costcos. You may be pleased, as I was, to see it back on your shelves.

9. 12 chiffonade // 2012.02.05 at 2:07 pm

FageYoLover – don’t be so quick to bail on Costco! Fage in the large tubs is again available. I’ve been enjoying it a great deal and feeding it to BF. He’s on a ton of antiobiotics due to a stubborn sinus infection and I don’t have to twist his arm to eat Fage.

• 13 Kimberly // 2012.02.09 at 7:52 am

I wish they would stock the Fage here in the UK. It makes me sad to pay supermarket prices for a smaller container.

10. 14 FageYoLover // 2012.01.31 at 10:38 am

The Costco Kirkland brand is not even close in taste, texture, cooking atributes and the wonderfull full mouth taste experience (yes dieters that means more satisfying so you eat and crave less) that you get with Fage. I’m dropping my Costco Professional membership and looking at other venues. Fage was the main reason I joined Costco.

11. 15 Chiffonade // 2012.01.08 at 7:33 am

That’s a new one on me Hannah – I detected almost NO aroma of any kind from the stock. I found it anemic, tasteless and colorless. Maybe they’re trying to reformulate it?