Costco.com Sells a Variety of Kosher Products

October 4th, 2011 · 11 Comments

I was planning on writing about all of the cool stuff that you can get at Costco.com for Halloween.  However, I must have blinked and missed that holiday because all the seasonal products on their site right now, revolve around Christmas.  I could talk about Christmas stuff, but somehow to me it just seems far too early to start talking about Christmas decorations.  In any case, while digging around on Costco.com I noticed a new grocery section: Kosher.

I receive a lot of email, and occasionally some comments on various posts, about the desire for more Kosher products at Costco.  Well, it seems that someone has been listening – someone with the power to change things, instead of just me.  Under the Kosher grocery category you can find a selection of meat products mostly, and one sugar free Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory assortment.  However, if you do a search for ‘kosher’ you find 33 different products that you can buy through Costco.com, including several bakery items, as well as dried fruit and nut assortments.  And it is all certified kosher.

35.5 lbs of Kosher Angus Beef at Costco.com for $399.99

As I mentioned, there are several different types of meat selections that you can now purchase at Costco.com that are certified Kosher.  There are three different butchers providing the meat: Teva Meats, A.D. Rosenblatt, and Strauss.  I did notice that the Strauss products are both lamb and are actually Halal, but I think the similarities in the two dietary laws are such that something like lamb would fall under similar requirements.  One of the lamb items is certified for both Halal and Kosher, as well, so I guess they must be as similar as I think.   In total there are seven different Kosher meat products that you can get:  an Angus beef variety pack, Angus Beef offal variety pack, ground lamb, lamb stew meat, lamb bone-in shoulder roast, boneless leg of lamb, and lamb foreshank.   As you’ll notice most of the items are lamb, with just a couple of beef products.  But all of the packs are fairly large, with several pounds of meat, which is good since they run from $79.99 – $399.99 price-wise.  You could definitely stock up your freezer with these packs though.  And that would be great if you live in an area where getting Kosher meats is something between hard and impossible.  Oh yeah, and at least a couple of these are certified Kosher for Passover.

Get your cute Kosher holiday cookies at Costco.com

In addition to the selection of Kosher meats, you can also find a variety of other goods that are Kosher.  Unfortunately, the other items are mixed in with the regular grocery items, so it makes it a little harder to pick them out.  But if you do a search for ‘kosher’ you will get a page full of bakery items, dried fruit and nuts products, and fruit crisps.  One of the more interesting items that turns up in the search results is a gift card to The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.  If you didn’t know, all of their products are certified organic, Halal, and Kosher.  The other items cover all of the delicious items you might enjoy from a bakery: cannoli shells, brownies, cookies, scones, brownies, cheesecake, and even a birthday cake.   There are even some Halloween cookies available right now!

So, if you’re one of the people that have been looking for more Kosher goods, or just want a wider variety than what you can find in your own neighbourhood, you should check out the selections at Costco.com.

Tags: costco.com · Food Share

1. 1 Ploni // 2014.01.24 at 2:32 am

Halal is not Kosher, but kosher is Hallal. If it is labeled Hallal it isn’t kosher unless it is also labeled kosher, and if it is labeled kosher it is both kosher and Hallal. The laws are similar but not the same and the Hallal laws include things that would make the meat not kosher.

2. 2 Susan // 2013.11.04 at 11:26 am

there are many locations selling kosher meat and products on the East Coast. To find out about California warehouses, I would email customer service through the website. I would imagine there may be some near LA, but less likely near San Diego.

3. 3 Rebeccaq // 2013.11.04 at 9:26 am

How can I find out where kosher meats are being sold? I know it is carried in Marlboro, NJ but I am now in CA and I’m wondering if it is sold in either LA or San Diego.

• 4 Kimberly // 2013.11.04 at 11:33 am

@Rebeccaq – I’ve sent an email to Costco’s Customer Service to see if they can help out with a list of locations selling kosher meats. I’ll let you know what I find out.

• 5 Kimberly // 2013.11.05 at 9:53 am

@Rebeccaq – Sadly, I didn’t get anything useful from Costco’s Customer Support team. Their only suggestion is to contact your preferred Costco locations and ask if they have kosher products. Sorry I couldn’t give you a specific list of locations.

4. 6 Galia Berry // 2012.10.20 at 8:51 pm

On Oct. 11 I went into the Costco in Columbia MD prepared to buy my usual kosher meats and cheeses, only to find out that the entire dept had been REPLACED by halal products with no plans to re-order the kosher products.

5. 7 isabella // 2011.10.23 at 7:35 am

I think it depends where you live, Nanuet has a very big and growing Kosher foods section and Hackensack features more around the holidays as well.

6. 8 Robin from Orlando // 2011.10.08 at 1:57 am

In the NY/NJ area they have a kosher section in the store.

In Orlando we have limited selection, but there are a few things if you look, including Empire chicken. There is also a nice selection of smoked fish that are kosher.

I don’t know if they still have the Meal Mart Stuffed Cabbage. There is also Hebrew National salami and hot dogs, though some Orthodox Jews don’t accept it as kosher.

For people who live in an area that doesn’t have kosher meat, the $399 freezer order looks like a nice selection.

7. 9 BazzoolA // 2011.10.06 at 12:13 am

I hope they will start advertising for halal meat.

• 10 Khalida // 2012.09.17 at 1:33 am

I hope they will sell Halal meat. In Lewiston there are no Halal store at all

8. 11 Sean // 2011.10.04 at 9:12 pm

Depending on how strictly one observes kosher, I don’t believe the halal meat would qualify. While halal and kosher laws are similar, there are fundamental differences, especially at the strict end of the spectrum. As I understand it (broadly), halal guidelines describe certain things as forbidden, and everything else is acceptable. Kosher rules, however, describe certain things as acceptable, and everything else is forbidden. Everything (or maybe just almost everything) that is kosher will be halal, but not everything that’s halal will be kosher.