Since everyone else here in the UK seems to be marking The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee this week, I thought I would run a little contest to celebrate it too. This is a very historic year for Queen Elizabeth II as she celebrates her reign of 60 years and becomes the second-longest reigning British monarch.
I’m really excited that we will be in London and able to experience this special, once in a lifetime, celebration this weekend. I’m especially looking forward to the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant that will happen this Sunday (3 June), which will be this huge parade of more than 1,000 boats of all kinds on the Thames. Very cool! And then there’s the big concert on Monday (4 June) at Buckingham Palace. The concert is going to be pretty impressive with performances from Elton John, Annie Lennox, Tom Jones, Paul McCartney, amongst others, since we didn’t get tickets I was glad to find out that it will be broadcast live on BBC One, Radio 2, and shown on big screens in Hyde Park, St James’s Park and The Mall. After the concert, there will be more than 4,000 beacons lit around the world to mark The Queen’s reign of 60 years. After that, there will be a big fireworks display at Buckingham Palace. Along with these things there are many other things going on. For the full lineup you should check out the BBC’s guide to Jubilee events.
So, now for the contest. I’ve got six trivia questions about The Queen, one for each decade of her reign. All you have to do is answer the questions (correctly) and you could be the winner. The winner will get a package of Diamond Jubilee souvenirs, including a commemorative tin of McVitie’s Biscuits that I bought at Costco (of course), along with a few other Jubilee bits and bobs.
- When did Queen Elizabeth II ascend to the throne (day, month, and year)?
- When was The Queen’s official coronation ceremony (day, month, and year)?
- How many independent countries currently make up the Commonwealth realm that have The Queen as their sovereign?
- Which British Monarch reigned longer than Queen Elizabeth II?
- What year did The Queen and Prince Philip marry?
- Does The Queen shop at Costco? Okay, this one doesn’t strictly have a correct answer and is just for fun.
- Answer the trivia questions correctly in a comment on this blog post.
- The contest will run for 4 days, through midnight CST on 2 June 2012 (that would actually be 6 am here in London on Sunday, 3 June). Any comments posted after the expiration of the contest will not be eligible for the drawing.
- At the end of the contest, there will be a random drawing from everyone that has responded and there will be one lucky winner. The drawing will be held by 5 June 2012, 2 days after the end of the contest.
- The winners screen name will be posted here on 7 June 2012.
- When you provide your comment, you will need to provide a valid email address in the comment form (NOT the body of your comment). I need your email address to be able to contact you for instruction on where your prize should be sent. Provided email addresses are not publicly available and will only be used to contact you in regards to this contest and will not be sold or used to send you unwanted email.
- If a winner does not reply to the notification email, an alternate winner will be picked.
- I will send the package directly to the winner in a timely fashion.
- This contest is sponsored by AddictedToCostco.com directly and has NO affiliation with Costco.
- Neither Dave nor I will be eligible to win this contest, even though we may supply a response.