Guest Post: Are you allowed to shop at Costco without supervision?

July 10th, 2012 · 10 Comments

[I’ve had a long, dreary weekend – too much rain, not enough fun –  and I thought this was the perfect day for a little Costco humor on my blog.  Luckily, I got a fabulously funny guest post recently that I wanted to share with everyone.  The guest poster, Richard, and his wife, Delores, have been Costco members, in Phoenix, Arizona, for 31 years!  How impressive is that?  Think of all the money they’ve saved! :-)  This post is short but funny and I’m sure almost all of us will find it a situation we can relate to, as well.]

Last week my wife, Dolores, asked me if I could stop at Costco while I was out. She asked if I would get her a package of “Thomas’s English Muffins” (less than $7.00). I told her that I would gladly stop there during my travels.

When I got home I asked her to help me unload the car. When she asked me how much I spent, I sheepishly told her $387.00 and change. Well, needless to say I am no longer allowed to go to Costco alone. I am 67 years old and in “time-out!”

Tags: Guest Posts Share

1. 1 Enrico // 2012.07.20 at 2:55 pm

I am also a fan since 1990. I feel really a member not a customer and stress that everybody should feel like that, it’ you own store! I hate when I see people touching all fruits in a tray, like there is not respect for others; if you trust the brand you should just go ahead and buy it. You can’t pick and chose just a lot that is uniform, right? At the same time I believe we have the duty to report weird behavior like people leaving things that need refrigeration on the shelves.It will cost to all of us at the end.
    Also we should report when products are not up to Kirkland standard, like salads of which yield has gone up lately. I will not mention brands here but I did report and returned what I did not like.

2. 2 Campsie // 2012.07.13 at 5:23 pm

I find it facinating how my husband shops differently at Costco than I do. I swear I know everything in the store. For the most part, I buy the same things with an occasional different purchase if there is a new product there. HE goes, and comes home with stuff I never have seen before. He typically turns left through the gaget/appliance area where I never go. If I am off-topic and want to treat myself, I go right– through the clothles, towels and houseware stuff. The good news is, we always use the things we bring home. I love Costco.

• 3 Renee // 2012.07.17 at 8:51 am

I’m with you! Every now and then I’ll try a new food product, but generally I stick to what I need from Costco. In their early years I would buy lots of stuff. But then some food items were spoiling before I used them or the food I sampled in the store didn’t taste so good when I got it home. Those drinking glasses, or mixing bowls I had to have ended up in the Goodwill pile (never used) a few years later. My time as a compulsive Costco shopper has come and gone, but I must admit, I still can’t pass up the hot dog!

3. 4 katherine // 2012.07.11 at 8:15 am

I’ve often thought of paying someone $20 to come with me and make me stick to my budget. I’d come out cheaper if I hired a chaperone.

4. 5 na // 2012.07.10 at 4:44 pm

That sounds like my husband too :-)
    Can’t trust him to do the shopping, especially when he is hungry!

5. 6 brandy // 2012.07.10 at 12:20 pm

yes, but what did you buy?

6. 7 Mary // 2012.07.10 at 11:22 am

Sunday I suggested we pop into Costco to get milk since we were going by there. Husband: “No!” Me: “Why not? We need milk.” Husband: “You won’t come out with just milk.” True story!

7. 8 Duane // 2012.07.10 at 11:08 am

Yes. When the fiance is with me though, I spend more than I need to, but we usually need it.

8. 9 Mike // 2012.07.10 at 10:02 am

That’s funny, Richard! I am usually guilty of buying more than I went in for, but actually, I spend more when my wife comes along for the trip!

9. 10 cathy // 2012.07.10 at 7:47 am

That was a good early morning chuckle for me. Thanks!