Recall: Costco Canada Beef Recall Due to E.Coli

September 18th, 2012 · 9 Comments

XL Foods Inc. is voluntarily recalling specific production lots of ground beef due to possible E.Coli contamination.  Some of the ground beef may have been sold by Costco Canada locations across Canada from August 30, 2012 to September 15, 2012 under the following labels:

• Kirkland Signature Lean Ground Beef, Costco item number 21927, Dates between 12AU30 and 12SE15
  • Kirkland Signature Lean Ground Beef Patties, Costco item number 52733, Dates between 12AU30 and 12SE15
  • Kirkland Signature Ground Beef Tubes, Costco item number 97420, Dates between 12AU30 and 12SE15

Initially, the ground beef tested negative for E.coli 0157:H7, however, further testing raised the possibility of E. coli contamination. Luckily, neither XL Foods nor CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) have had any reports of illness as a result of this ground beef.  But it is always better to be safe than sorry.  So, if you have purchased this and it is in your freezer or fridge, don’t eat it!

Food contaminated with E.coli 0157:H7 may not look or smell spoiled. Consumption of food contaminated with this bacteria my cause serious and potentially life-threatening illnesses. Symptoms include severe abdominal pain and bloody diarrhoea. Some people may have seizures or strokes and some may need blood transfusions and kidney dialysis. Others may live with permanent kidney damage. In severe cases of illness, people may die.

If you have purchased this ground beef , please return the affected product(s) to your Costco warehouse for a full refund (or wherever you purchased it from).  If you have other questions, please contact XL Foods at 1-866-467-1514 or visit their website at www.xlfoods.net.

To find out more information about all of the locations and products affected by this recall, you should check out the CFIA alert webpage.  This page lists all of the other stores, product information like size and SKU, as well as the various cities where the recalled products have been sold.  E.Coli is not something to mess with, so if you have one of these products, please check the alert to see if your product is part of the recall.

Tags: Food · In the News · product recalls Share

1. 1 joe // 2012.10.04 at 10:27 pm

I hope everyone knows that it was VOLUNTARY recall. Every warehouse should have thrown out all the meat in question. All the warehouse will take any meat that was on the list and you would get a full refund. Not every cut of meat was on the list but if you are that uncomfortable with having the meat, return it and get your refund. I think most people are just making it worse by saying that all meat was infected.

2. 2 Maggie // 2012.10.04 at 5:00 pm

I purchased lean ground beef but do not remember the exact date and have repackaged it into smaller amounts. If this was the same as the recall would Costco have contacted me to let me know? I did purchase it using my Costco card.
    In the past I did get a call about some brownies that may have contained nuts so I felt secure that our meat was okay – but now I am wondering if I should throw out the rest of the ground beef.
    Thanks

3. 3 Marie M // 2012.10.03 at 12:00 pm

I do not live near a Costco store but purchased tenderloin grilling steak and denuded beef tenderloin in Kamloops Sept. 24/12. How do i find out if it is included in the recall?

• 4 Kimberly // 2012.10.03 at 12:07 pm

@Marie – To find out more information about all of the locations and products affected by this recall, you should check out the CFIA alert webpage. This page lists all of the other stores, product information like size and SKU, as well as the various cities where the recalled products have been sold.

• 5 Marie m // 2012.10.03 at 2:41 pm

Apparently it all has to go back for a refund.

4. 6 John // 2012.09.26 at 8:07 pm

Chris, you purchased this item 10 days prior to the Ground Beef in question (aug 30th-Sept 15th) therefore the ground beef you consumed doubtfully made you feel sick.
    Robin, Costco will contact all Members who purchased these items numbers between these dates provided the contact information is accurate and current in their system.

There has not been a positive result of e-Coli in any of the testing so far, just that testing raised the possibility of contamination with e-coli hence the “voluntary” recall from XL Foods.

Important to note: If ground beef is cooked thoroughly there is 0% chance of becoming infected with e-coli from consuming the ground beef even if it was contaminated.

• 7 Robin Majumdar // 2012.09.30 at 9:35 pm

John, are you certain about Costco contacting all members who did indeed purchase affected ground beef (or other cuts, now that the recall has been expanded?) My info (email, phone & physical address) is up to date but I didn’t receive a call, although I’m quite certain to have purchased affected product during that timeframe.

Perhaps I was lucky!

Robin

5. 8 Chris // 2012.09.23 at 5:39 am

I purchased this item number August 20 2012 and I was feeling sick

6. 9 Robin Majumdar // 2012.09.20 at 10:45 am

Given that Costco tracks all member purchases (using the membership card and scanned products at the cash) and has member contact info, they could perhaps do a database scan of consumers who purchased the recalled beef by matching dates & UPC codes…

They seem to have done that when I got an automated call for recalled Kirkland cat food.

Shared details in my article on the Costco / XL Foods recall