What do you think of the Square Milk Jug?

December 19th, 2012 · 24 Comments

Do you buy your milk at Costco?  Do you like the new square milk jug?  Do you wish it were bigger?  Or smaller?  Or not square?  Or something else completely?  Did you quit buying your milk there because of that new design?  How would you feel if they changed the design again?

With all of that in mind, it would be great if you could answer a few survey questions posed by a high school student from Prairie Ridge High School in Crystal Lake, Illinois.  The student is working on a project for his engineering class and really needs a bit of feedback from all of us milk drinkers that shop at Costco.  He has been tasked with innovating or inventing a product and he has chosen the square milk jug from Costco.   The survey should be really easy and quick, with just 6 questions and probably taking less than 10 minutes to complete.  Hopefully, after he’s finished the survey and completed his project he’ll let me post his results.

You can find the survey here, and I really hope that everyone will take a few minutes to participate and help out with the project!

Tags: Food · Guest Posts Share

1. 1 Get over it, again // 2017.01.12 at 1:30 am

To all the negitive comments,
    to much time on your hands,
    Focus on reality,
    Look at all the money wasted implemting
    Laws for those who disobey,
    Can’t fix stupid….

• 2 Hil // 2017.01.12 at 7:22 am

Dear get over it, get over it again.
      You must be a right winger.
      In case you haven’t noticed, Costco did change the shape of the milk bottle.
      And quite true… you make it quite obvious that Stupid can’t be fixed.

2. 3 Get over it // 2017.01.12 at 1:19 am

Save manf money? Check
    Save evviroment? Check
    Transport more efficient? Check
    Consumers gain savings? Check
    Make bigger splash when penitrated by a high velocity projectile?
    Win, win!!!
    Still not a believer? Your a hater? Anger management and go pay more!!
    Final thought to nonbeliever’s, like you have a choice!!

3. 4 Jaya // 2013.04.04 at 12:56 pm

Dont mind the shape but really wish the pour spout would have a better design. Seriously considering moving away from Costco milk only because mike spills every time it is poured. The seal is not the easiest to take of either. The tabs frequently break and are not exacltly the easiest to grip. Wish Costco would stock gallon cans of organic milk. The Kirkland whole milks have fish oil and the milk actually smells fishy. Not an option for vegetarians.

4. 5 Dustin // 2013.01.03 at 3:05 pm

Dont mind the square jug anymore now that we bought the square jug cap.

5. 6 Ron // 2013.01.01 at 5:28 pm

The jugs are great. Good size for fridge door. Lowers cost. I make two small slits in plastic seal and they pour perfectly. A plastic punch (shouldn’t cost $.50 to sell) would make uniform, quick holes so no one would have a problem.

6. 7 Clark // 2012.12.27 at 8:29 am

Here is an interview with Costco’ CFO from CFO magazine that includes a few comments regarding the reason for the switch to the square milk jug http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/14476783?f=singlepage

7. 8 Rebecca // 2012.12.26 at 1:51 pm

Can you post a picture of this square jug? I am not certain what exactly you are talking about.

I believe that we have had a square milk jug for at least 2 years in my Edison, NJ Costco. I think that it is a fantastic idea, as it seems to take up less space in the refrigerator. When it was 1st introduced, the jug leaked alot, but in the last year Costco seems to have fixed the problem by using thicker plastic, as my new jugs don’t seem to leak anymore.

Now if Costco will start selling organic milk by the gallon. :)

8. 9 Nan // 2012.12.22 at 9:49 pm

I don’t buy milk at Costco because none of the stores I’ve shopped have 1%. I’ve not seen the square jug. I do know the Sam’s jug doesn’t fit on my fridge top shelf, too tall.

9. 10 Smarter // 2012.12.22 at 5:49 pm

It will not spill if you pour it by tipping it forward while still touching the table.
    much better design, much better shipping, better for environment and wallet. Really doesn’t spill at all and if it does it spills as much as standard one does.

10. 11 Anon // 2012.12.21 at 8:22 am

OT but, any word as follow-up to presumably Costco Rep response re its new website returning “New in the warehouse” function, based on comments to another recent post here?

11. 12 Janice // 2012.12.20 at 11:37 pm

Am thrilled to see this survey and hopefully Costco will take heed and make some changes. Long overdue! After they first changed the design of their jug several years ago, I was asked by store management as I was leaving the store what I thought of the square jugs. I was frank and said I didn’t think it was a good design because they were difficult for adults to pour, much less children without spilling. I still buy them reguarly but still do not like them and wish they would package them in the boxes like the used to instead of the shrink wrap. I don’t care if I have to pay more!

12. 13 David // 2012.12.20 at 8:40 pm

I purchase an average of 3 gallons of milk from Costco each week. I didn’t mind the new design at first glance (I has used Sam’s similar design before), but when I got home I noticed several flaws. The main problem is the cap. The shape of the jug doesn’t really matter too much. However, the old jug was easier to put into the inside of the door of a side-by-side refrigerator because the top wasn’t as wide.

Problems with the cap include:

– to open a tab must be pulled upward – it’s of low quality and I’ve had this break off and I had to use a knife to cut the opening to get into the milk
    – if you’re not careful when inserting into the fridge the cap can catch the bottom of the shelf above causing it to come open
    – after pouring, a small amount of milk remains around the cap opening, which creates a splatter when closing and opening if not wiped off – very inconvenient
    – the cap flap is very fragile and if it breaks off, what do you do about the opening? You must put all your milk into some other container

Simple suggestion to fix the problem:

Change the cap design and make the opening bigger.

One option would be a cap that screws on and off like Simply Orange’s cap on their orange juice containers. It’s solidly made and easy to put on and take off.

Another option is the snap on/off cap. It simply snaps over the rim into position and creates a good seal to stay closed.

I still buy all of my milk at Costco because it’s about .90 cents cheaper or more than Wal-Mart and other stores.

The cap definitely needs a new design.

13. 14 Catherine the Great // 2012.12.20 at 7:49 pm

Reporting in from the Deep South:) Hate the new square jugs! Used to buy milk at Costco on each and every trip. Now buy it at Aldi’s instead. The price is actually cheaper at Aldi’s.

14. 15 Emily (Bentobloggy.com) // 2012.12.20 at 2:19 pm

I use the jug caps I bought recently specifically designed for the Costco jug.
    Honestly I do not buy Costco milk often anymore because it’s not organic. I have tried the other organic milk they sell and it has a funky flavor so we buy Horizon or Organic Valley brand at the local supermarket instead. If Costco offered a good organic milk in the jug I’d buy it weekly.

15. 16 Steve // 2012.12.20 at 2:08 pm

Yes, I pay particular attention to the Costco wines (@winesocializer), but the milk has always been convenient to buy in the two gallons at a time cardboard containers.

This Square Jug used by Wal-Mart, Costco, and others is a loser. Since the pricing is “fixed” in California, USA there is really no reason to buy it at Costco. We have not seen the SJ, here, yet. But, just reading reviews, the SJ is just not convenient for the kids to use, apparently. The current container design is easy to use, and “square enough” for us, i.e., fits conveniently in the fridge.

This idea is a loser, of which Old Man Costco had many throughout his tenure. Now that he has been retired for a year, we will see if the New Old Man Costco can eliminate the bad ideas as quickly as Mr. Sinegal did.

16. 17 monty // 2012.12.20 at 11:04 am

Have not seen square jugs at our local costco. But I can see why, it must reduce amounts of jugs can be filled in their cooler or pallets..etc. It is all about efficiency.

17. 18 Anon // 2012.12.20 at 10:25 am

Spills from spout is a problem with the square jugs. They are not in use now at all US Costco Warehouses; not even all in a relatively small geographic area. Tends towards buying milk at those that carry the older style container, but when necessary buy the newer style especially since it has environmental benefits in requiring less gasoline for delivery to the Warehouse. Now if they could package milk in a box, as done with boxed wine, even possibly requiring less plastic “waste” and reduced shipping costs, and including an easy dispensing “from the refrigerator shelf” design ?????????????

18. 19 Crystal // 2012.12.20 at 9:35 am

I understand that the square design allows more to be shipped in smaller space and saves on shipping costs. However, the top spills milk when pouring. Seems like they could redesign the pouring spout. We do buy it, but complain about it every time it spills!

19. 20 Hil // 2012.12.20 at 6:55 am

I am an avid Costco shopper and go there twice a week. I live by the theory that if Costco doesn’t have it, I probably don’t need it. That said, I absolutely abhor the poor design on that milk jug and will never purchase milk at Costco again until the design of the jug is changed for the better.,

20. 21 Cheryl Shrontz // 2012.12.19 at 11:51 pm

We’ve had square milk jugs at our Costco, in Norfolk, VA, for quite a while. They fit perfectly on my refrigerator door. It’s a great idea.

21. 22 Joe // 2012.12.19 at 7:36 pm

Are all of the Costco’s switching to square jugs for milk? I haven’t seen it at my local Costco in NH.

22. 23 Mike // 2012.12.19 at 4:38 pm

I don’t buy milk from Costco. It’s one of the ithings that is cheaper in supermarkets, and I don’t have a need for a 2 gallon quantity.

23. 24 Melissa // 2012.12.19 at 3:49 pm

This is probably my biggest pet peeve of Costco. Seriously. (And yeah, I know we have much, much bigger problems in the world today … I absolutely do.) But, kudos to this student for thinking creatively about this! Best of luck.