Recall: GoldCoast Blue Crab Spread Recalled for Possible Listeria Contamination

February 14th, 2013 · 10 Comments

If you have purchased GoldCoast Blue Crab Spread from Costco that has an expiration date of January 31, 2013, you definitely do not want to eat it!   GoldCoast Salads, based in Naples, Florida, is carrying out a voluntary recall of their Blue Crab Spread as a result of possible Listeria contamination.

It seems that Costco has sent out more than 180,000 letters to customers that bought the crab spread to inform them of this recall.  The Blue Crab Spread packages that are being recalled, as I mentioned, are labeled with an expiration date of 01/31/2013 and were sold in 1 pound and 8 ounce sizes.  The crab spread was distributed along the North and South East US.  If you have this, please please, don’t eat it and just return it to Costco for a refund. If you have any other questions, contact GoldCoast Salads at 239.513.0430.  You can read the GoldCoast recall letter online.

Listeria is a bacterial food borne illness that can be very dangerous to pregnant women, newborns, elderly people, and adults with weakened immune systems.  Listeria can lead to very serious illnesses and can be much worse, and far more lethal, than other forms of food borne illnesses.  In short, it isn’t something to mess around with at all.  So, don’t chance it and return your crab spread to Costco to be safe.

Tags: Food · In the News · product recalls Share

1. 1 Rose // 2013.02.26 at 6:36 pm

My husband and I ate this blue crab spread in January. Mid-February, I began suffering gastrointestinal distress. I thought it was a virus because my husband began having symptoms a week and a half later.
    He had so much stomach pain and blood in his stool that he went to the doctor. After several days on an antibiotic, he is much better. I’m not. I guess I’ll be going to the doctor, too.

2. 2 Nancy // 2013.02.24 at 10:05 pm

I too had a serious bout of what I thought was gastroenteritis. I was sick for days and couldn’t keep anything down. Even after feeling better, it seemed nausea and diarrhea was always lurking. I thought maybe my hiatal hernia was acting up or something was really wrong with me. Then I found the letter from Costco. I made an appointment with my doctor and he gave me an antibiotic and I was back to normal within hours. It would have been nice if they emailed me too since I monitor that more closely than snail mail.

3. 3 Rick Hess // 2013.02.17 at 10:04 am

What about the hundreds of thousands of people who “sampled” this product at Costco, but did not actually buy it. They will not be notified at all about the danger they may face!

• 4 Kimberly // 2013.02.17 at 7:12 pm

@Rick – Well, I hope this was one of the batches that they didn’t give out as samples. From doing a little research online it seems that most people that are infected will show symptoms within a month, but that can be extended out to 70 days in some cases.

4. 5 Susan // 2013.02.16 at 11:35 pm

I ate this Blue Crab spread from Costco on January 12 and was in the hospital with a terrible intestinal episode on January 14 for 6 days! I got the letter from Costco almost a month later.

• 6 Jmarinoff // 2013.06.17 at 8:38 am

Susan my husband was hospitalized jan14to jan16 with symptoms but at the time didn’t know about recall till returning home. He was in largo medical hospital in Florida. The insurance has denied claim because when he was asked about possibility of food poising we both said no. I didn’t eat it. They went the other way towards over indulging alcohol will on vacation. In the middle of contacting doctor know to see if had he had this information would his diagnoses have been different.

5. 7 Judy // 2013.02.15 at 11:57 am

If the crab spread has an expiration date of 1/31/13, wouldn’t most people have already consumed the product since this is mid-February?

• 8 Kimberly // 2013.02.15 at 5:52 pm

@Judy – I’m in total agreement with you. However, I heard about the recall and figured, just on the off chance, I should post it. But really, if it is still in your fridge, even without the Listeria possibility, you probably shouldn’t be eating it two weeks out of date.

6. 9 Corey // 2013.02.15 at 5:35 am

Costco Australia had to recall all Jindi cheeses late last year and early this year for listeria. Nasty stuff. Such a shame for Jindi….they make great cheese but the latest recall has all but put them out of business.

• 10 Kimberly // 2013.02.15 at 6:00 pm

@Corey – A big recall can really be very bad for a small company, and can irreparably damage their reputation, even if it doesn’t sink them financially.