Guest Post: Kirkland Signature Frustration

March 28th, 2013 · 27 Comments

[Today’s guest post is about frustration that I’m sure we’ve all felt with Costco before: they change a really good product of theirs into something that is less desirable.  It’s unfortunate, but sometimes the “improvements” just aren’t.  Today’s guest post comes from Fred, a Costco member since 1998.  He goes to his store of choice in Santee, California about once per week, if not more.  I’ll bet there are a lot of people that have something from the Kirkland Signature family that they used to love but has changed, and not for the better, or just totally getting rid of them.  Very frustrating.]

For many years I have purchased the Kirkland brand of Toilet Tissue.  Sometime last year they changed the rolls by making them bigger and they now no longer easily fit my toilet paper dispensers when new, because they are “fatter” and don’t roll easily and take several uses before they start rolling easily.  I contacted Costco about this and got a standard PR reply about product improvement that did me no good.  I now purchase a non-Kirkland brand!  Costco has a habit of changing products that were perfectly fine.  They also have a habit of dropping products that one gets used to purchasing and using, and moving products around the store weekly!  They call it a treasure hunt- but I call it frustrating not to be able to easily find items.

I do love Costco and shop there a lot, however, these sort of changes drive me crazy.  Any others have this same complaint?

Fred

Tags: Guest Posts · Health & Beauty Share

1. 1 Dee Branshaw // 2016.04.27 at 2:44 pm

Costco Kirkland butter in one pound packages of 1/4 pound sticks no longer fit a standard butter dish. Who changes the length and height of a stick of butter? Butter dishes are made standard for a reason. What an in sightly mess !!! Since our Alaska Costco stores only carry Kirkland brand butter in one pound packages I will be buying my butter elsewhere. Who does that? Why would they change height of BUTTER! I am not giving up my classic well loved butter dishes!!!!

2. 2 Dave Maravetz // 2016.01.17 at 9:42 pm

I recently bought a paper towel dispenser with a ratchet device that keeps too many towels from unloading. The last few packs of towels no longer make the ratchet action of my dispenser work. I have two and both stopped working. Is Costco screwing me by using larger diameter paper towel tubes?

3. 3 Connie Delisle // 2015.11.10 at 5:10 pm

Kirkland organic chicken broth, you have changed the screw top, I cannot open it. I have to have my husband use pliers. I thought it was a one of, but this is about the tenth. Hope you can fix this problem. I love the product.

4. 4 Royak // 2015.09.29 at 12:09 am

Re: [Costco has] a habit of dropping products that one gets used to purchasing and using…

Oh yeah, years of stocking a product then it just disappears. In my case (California): Yoshida teriyaki sauce, Balade light butter, and La Brea brand Rosemary & Olive Oil bread. I still buy them, but elsewhere — at a higher cost. Note: Yoshida sauce was especially hard to find.

5. 5 emily // 2015.09.28 at 9:45 pm

Kirkland toilet paper sucks.
    individual wrapped much better
    wipes does not get rid of the paper
    stuck . improvement to bring back

6. 6 Dave // 2014.03.23 at 12:13 pm

There is a huge difference between different brands of TP, mostly is it soft enough but strong enough to get the job done. My complaint with the larger rolls, and this pertains to all brands, that it is quite obviously a total fraud. To say 12 ‘double’ rolls equals 24 regular rolls is an outright lie! Count the sheets on a roll. There are no where near twice as many, maybe only 50% at best. This also applies to paper towels, although sometimes they just make each sheet smaller than on the regular roll.
    How can manufacturers continue to perpetrate this obvious deception? Do they think no one can count?

7. 7 Alex // 2013.11.20 at 11:08 am

I’m personally very happy with the way the toilet paper is. It always fits in my dispenser, and I feel that I have a LOT of quality toilet paper for my money. I’ve written a review that details its cost effectiveness, probably with a little too much details. Check it out :) <a href'="http://livingwellcheaply.com/kirkland-signature-bath-tissue-product-review/"Kirkland Signature Bath Tissue Product Review

8. 8 Darryl Gill // 2013.10.01 at 10:36 am

Toilet paper too large and pills. Very irritating.

9. 9 Altaira // 2013.09.05 at 12:44 pm

We have stopped purchasing Costco toilet paper because it doesn’t fit in our dispenser. Because of that, we are shopping elsewhere more often now and may let our Costco membership lapse.

10. 10 Terisita // 2013.04.10 at 1:40 am

In Canada, the toilet paper has changed as well. Costco WILL change the toilet paper to a different “brand” BUT they need a barrage of complaints. They cut a deal with a specific company to supply the toilet paper and you actually end up using more because it’s not as comfortable and thick. Don’t believe me, buy a different brand and keep track. You’d be surprised at how much more you really end up paying using the new Costco brand.

11. 11 Trevor Charlton // 2013.04.09 at 10:31 am

Why is there no Costco Wholesale store in the Treasure Coast of South Florida, mainly Port St Lucie, Martin county.

12. 12 sandy edel // 2013.04.07 at 10:04 pm

I have a standard TP dispenser in my bathrooms in my home – and the TP fits perfectly.

13. 13 Cal // 2013.04.04 at 4:41 am

Interesting post. I recently started buying Costco TP again after not using it for awhile (due to lack of storage space) and personally I think the quality of the product has changed and gone down. I’m not sure how much attention I pay to TP but it seems to be a thinner/rougher product than I recall.

14. 14 Anon // 2013.03.29 at 5:08 pm

Rick is right about the roll extender. One of the paper company gave them away a few years ago when it converted to the thicker ply thicker roll.

The towels, irony, made by a manufacturer that does the choose your size. Not standard Costco known for bigger :-)

15. 15 Rick Wagner // 2013.03.29 at 3:33 pm

Fred,

Between moving things every week, and dropping or changing favorite items, Costco can be frustrating.

I recently bought a house that had a doohickey in the bathroom that extends the size that your TP holder will accommodate. It’s plastic, probably no more than 6 or 7 dollars, and available at your favorite hardware store.

If you really like Costco’s toilet tissue, this might give you the solution your looking for.

• 16 Cathy // 2014.01.25 at 1:32 pm

That is exactly the doohickey that we need. We looked at our hardware and couldn’t find it. What is the name of the item and the company? Maybe we can search on the internet.

16. 17 Brandy // 2013.03.28 at 8:58 pm

EVERYONE has this complaint about the TP. I hope they switch back. I still buy it, because I’m cheap, but it has to sit on the counter for a bit before it goes into the roll.

As for the cherries, I read in the feedback book (usually available at member services/at the feedback counter) that they had supply issues with the cherries. The ones currently in the warehouse I assume are what they were able to get. I’m grateful for them because my kids like them! And they don’t have preservatives which makes me happy!

I think the natural peanut butter had the same issue :( Our brand new Costco (Wheaton MD) opens in 2 weeks. I can’t wait to see if they have anything new/different!!! Maybe a first look at new Kirkland products? The return of natural peanut butter? A mom can dream. We saw today that apparently they put the food court inside the mall. It’s going to be a madhouse – there is a Majorca coffee and Chipotle opening soon directly adjacent.

Let’s not even get started on the simplification of Costco cake choices…

17. 18 Royak // 2013.03.28 at 8:23 pm

I love the TP, but hate the Kirkland brand paper towels. The sheets are way to big! Many competing brands offer pick-a-size towels — small sheets that enable one to use make efficient use of the roll. With the Kirkland brand, if I just want to dry my hands I have no choice but to use a giant sheet. So wasteful! And Costco is “green” in so many other areas; why has it missed the boat on this? I now buy my paper towels at other stores (which usually means a special trip). :-(

• 19 sandy edel // 2013.04.07 at 10:01 pm

I was using so many paper towels a day to dry my hands that I purchased a metal towel holder where the top piece slips over the cabinet beneath my kitchen sink. It has a circular ring where I keep a hand towel to use most of the time. Stores like Bed/Bath carries this item. I like the large sheets of paper towels – which I re-use a couple of times. I also tear them in half to use as napkins.

18. 20 Marge // 2013.03.28 at 8:14 pm

I buy the largest TP rolls available, which are 1000-sheet. If I found larger, I’d buy them. It fits my dispenser just fine and, assuming it uses the cardboard tube, much more environmentally friendly. If they’re the type with no cardboard tubes, then I’m surprised they don’t offer smaller sizes. The larger the better from an environmental standpoint plus it’s a nuisance to continually change rolls.

19. 21 N // 2013.03.28 at 3:31 pm

Nan,

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they carry good dried tart cherries. We’ve seen the ones at Costco before, but we get the ones from Trader Joe’s because we like the smaller package.

• 22 Bobbi // 2013.04.06 at 1:20 am

I’ve bought both the Montmorency cherries at Costco and at Trader Joes.
      The price per pound is very similar. But the cherries at TJs taste much better.

20. 23 Susan // 2013.03.28 at 12:53 pm

fits my dispenser fine, but wish they were individually wrapped . I know it saves paper but I just might go back to Scott’s.

21. 24 Nan // 2013.03.28 at 12:41 pm

I shop Costco in San Antonio and here you about dropping excellent Kirkland products. One example is frozen cheese ravioli. I loved their Kirkland brand as it can be used in the frozen state, layered with sauce and baked. That makes for a quick and easy meal. Most brands don’t work as well that way and are better boiled first, an extra step. However, the last few months the Kirkland frozen ravioli has been MIA.

Another example is the dried tart cherries they carried. They’re gone. I think they were Kirkland brand. The dried sweet cherries are sickenly sweet, imo. I really hope the tart cherries reappear with the new season of cherries.

They also had applewood smoked half hams during holidays that weren’t spiral sliced. Best ham ever. They’re not available here, I don’t know if that’s nationwide or just here.

I’m just glad the Kirkland Toscano olive oil reappeared after many months of absence.

However, there’s a Sam’s Club just a couple of blocks from the UTSA Costco and it is never busy, staff isn’t helpful and the store doesn’t hold a candle to Costco, so even with the frustrations of trying to find products and having favorites go away, I love Costco.

22. 25 na // 2013.03.28 at 10:41 am

I agree about the tp. It won’t fit in my bathroom either.

23. 26 Robyn // 2013.03.28 at 10:37 am

Santee Costco, woo!

24. 27 Jana at The Summer House // 2013.03.28 at 9:11 am

Totally agree. Leave the TP alone!! haha I do love that they are carrying more organic products!