No More Churros in the Costco Food Court?

June 19th, 2013 · 54 Comments

Don't get rid of the delicious churros, Costco!

Don’t get rid of the delicious churros, Costco!

Say it ain’t so, Costco!  Are there really not going to be Churros in the Costco food court anymore?  I’m really hoping that this isn’t true because I love the churros.  A churro is as close as you can get to a donut at Costco and with that delicious cinnamon-sugar coating they are the perfect after shopping treat. It would only be better if Costco had hot chocolate in their food courts, but that is a topic for another post.

I received an email recently from a fellow Costco shopper and churro lover about the churros vanishing from her Costco food court.  It seems that the churros will soon be a thing of the past and no longer available in the food court at all.  She tried to order one but they were out and wouldn’t be getting more.  And that is when she found out the dreadful news of the churro’s demise.  According to the worker in the food court, Costco is phasing out the churro because they are too costly as a result of additional labor needed to prepare them and the longer cooking time.  If they can keep the cost of a hot dog and soda at $1.50 for all these years, can’t they figure out how to revolutionize the churro cooking process to be more cost effective?

I’m so sad to hear about the possibility of Costco ditching the churros, as is the person that wrote me the email; I think she used the word “devastated”.  Are there still churros available at the Costco food court near you?  Can any of you readers that are also Costco employees confirm, or better yet refute, this information about Costco phasing out the churros?

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 SortingHat // 2016.12.23 at 9:57 pm

Oh and it has always been the BarenSTEIN Bears for me?

2. 2 SortingHat // 2016.12.23 at 9:56 pm

Maybe it’s part of the Mandela effect at play?

3. 3 Angela // 2013.11.30 at 7:44 am

The Capitol City of Florida had discontinued my favorite hand dip & roll almond ice cream bar. So sad, I truly wish The Costco Managers would consider bringing this back to the meau. My entire family and friends would make this part of our weekend venture.

Concern Executive Business Manager

4. 4 Sally // 2013.10.31 at 9:54 am

The ice cream bars are phased out as well. They cost more than 1.50 to hand dip and coat in almonds. They used really good quality ice cream.

5. 5 KD // 2013.10.30 at 6:32 pm

No more churros in the San Francisco Peninsula. Menu sign is still on the food court wall but no more churros so it must have been phased out recently. New item is a bbq beef brisket sandwich ($4.99).

6. 6 Margie // 2013.10.04 at 4:33 pm

I would pay more than a $1 if this would keep the churro on the menu.

7. 7 truestory // 2013.09.23 at 11:56 pm

Its a business!!!! foodcourts are not set up to make money but actually lose money! BLAME coke for not being in costco it was either coke lower their prices or hotdog meal goes up in price. churros are a $1 item which means we make .48 cent on every one now consider payroll, cost of untilies, rent, supplies, and most expensive employee benefits. We are the last line of member service but we can’t provide that member service because we can’t afford pay the number of employees that we actually need. on the other hand if people took a little responsibility for themselves take the 2 seconds to throw away their own trash and tell us when they spill then the patio wouldn’t be a mess.

8. 8 Thu // 2013.08.18 at 4:42 pm

It’s gone at tukwila and Covington costco as well. Will have to make the trek to issaquah then as my kids love these churros

9. 9 Rebecca // 2013.07.26 at 1:04 pm

Interesting tidbit about the hot dog combo — Costco was so committed to keeping the dog/drink combo at $1.50, they started manufacturing their own hotdogs. I’m heartbroken about the Pepsi switch. No more Dr. Pepper. In Texas that’s a big deal. When I asked the checkout guy about it, he had been hearing a lot of complaints. Felt bad for him. Isn’t Mr. Pibb a Pepsi product? Definitely Coke’s loss. Well, and all of us Dr. Pepper drinkers.

10. 10 sue eriksen // 2013.07.24 at 11:15 am

Churros are still in the food courts in the San Diego stores.

• 11 karolyn // 2014.05.25 at 5:11 pm

Thanks for the oh so important tip Sue Eriksen, shilohpeace.

11. 12 Lisa // 2013.07.23 at 6:51 pm

They’re gone from Covington. :( I am also a little devastated.

12. 13 JAson // 2013.07.23 at 4:01 pm

BRING BACK THE CHURROS to the WOODINVILLE LOCATION!!! BRING IT BACK – My daughter cried when they said the BBQ Beef sandwich took its place on the menu. CHURROs

• 14 Kimberly // 2013.07.24 at 1:51 am

@Jason – A BBQ sandwich is no replacement for a churro! That’s just crazy talk.

13. 15 Costco employee Denver // 2013.07.12 at 3:19 am

I’m an employee, though still within my 90 day probationary period, in a Costco food court Denver, CO. I have not seen any signs of the churro being phased out. It’s really simple to cook so I don’t get where that’s coming from. If you guys have any questions about the food court, go right ahead and ask.

14. 16 Sarah // 2013.07.06 at 2:59 am

We still have churros at the Issaquah Costco. I asked them about that today and they looked at me like I was nuts. So maybe it just leaving certain stores. Although, I will say that the store I go to is regularly in the top 10 busiest Costcos in the world…so we get all kinds of cool stuff! 😛

I was sad when they switched to Pepsi too. But Coke deserved it. They shouldn’t have tested Costco and called their bluff. So only Coke is to blame on that, and I highly doubt Costco lost any business over that.

15. 17 Phil Irwin // 2013.07.01 at 1:04 am

Oh, and one more thing…why can’t they dedicate an employee to the clean-up of the food court tables. They are usually filthy. The only weak link in Costco’s operation (although I have noticed a downturn in employee attitudes lately).

16. 18 Phil Irwin // 2013.07.01 at 12:59 am

On the food court topic, the deli mustard is now gone from our store in CA. Bummer.