Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter Returns!

September 24th, 2013 · 19 Comments

Kirkland Signature Organic Peanut Butter - It's Back!

Kirkland Signature Organic Peanut Butter – It’s Back!

For all of you who love the Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter and have been missing it, you’ll be thrilled to hear that it’s back!  I think it has been out of stores for more than a year, so this is big news.  I think  it disappeared after the salmonella scare in late 2011 and throughout 2012, when it was recalled, even though none of it ever tested positive for salmonella.  And to add to the peanut problems, in 2011 there was a peanut shortage due to changes in prices (low for peanuts, high for cotton which is what many peanut farmers switched to growing) as well as a drought.  Since Costco couldn’t get the quality peanuts they demand for their peanut butter, they had to *gasp* stop making it all together.  But now, all the peanut butter loving Costco members can rejoice because KS peanut butter is coming back.

Can you believe that 90% of American households buy peanut butter?  Of course, I guess everyone has a jar hanging around in their pantry even if they don’t use it regularly.  At Costco you can get three different types of the Kirkland Signature peanut butter.  As there used to be, there’s the KS Organic Creamy Peanut Butter, as well as KS Natural Creamy Peanut Butter.  But there’s a new butter in town: Kirkland Signature Natural Chunky Peanut Butter.  If you’re in the Northeast region though, unfortunately, you will have to wait until November to stock up on the KS Organic Creamy Peanut Butter until November.

No matter which type of peanut butter you get from Costco, there’s nothing more in that jar than just the basics needed to make peanut butter: peanuts and sea salt.  Costco’s peanut of choice is the Valencia, which is a bit harder to grow, but these nuts have a better taste and a natural sweetness that makes them ideal for peanut butter.  The KS Natural peanut butters come in a two pack of 40 ounce jars, and the KS Organic comes in a two pack of 28 ounce jars.  Since there’s nothing in the mix but peanuts to get the buttery smoothness, you might get a bit of separation with that oil layer on top, but don’t freak out, just stir it back in and you are good to go for making an excellent peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or whatever peanut buttery treat you want.

For more information about the Kirkland Signature Peanut Butter and everything that goes into it, check out the September 2013 Costco Connection article “Working for Peanuts“.

Tags: Costco Connection · Food Share

1. 1 Mary // 2015.03.10 at 11:31 am

I just bought the Kirkland Almond Butter after it not being at my local Costco for quite some time. I’ve bought it before and it had a thick consistency much like peanut butter. Natural nut butters always have the layer of oil on top that needs to be stirred in. When I opened the jar to stir this latest almond butter, there was no thicker layer to stir the oil into. I stirred it well and put it in the refrigerator. When I took it out in the morning, I must have had the jar tipped when I opened it. It ran out all over the counter like water. Even the refrigeration didn’t thicken it up. This is NOT like the last almond butter I bought at Costco. It was all over the jar lid that also got all over the counter and outside of the jar. What a mess. Has Costco changed suppliers?

• 2 patrick // 2015.03.10 at 11:43 pm

The Costco Almond Butter I just bought is awful…actually tastes like it’s rancid and it doesn’t thicken with refrigeration. Traders Joe’s is the only way to go.

2. 3 travis mort // 2014.09.18 at 8:06 pm

Just bought this peanut butter and it tastes terrible. Is extremely gritty and needs more salt. Taste is flay and boring. Not going to buy again.

3. 4 Shane // 2014.06.06 at 6:04 pm

Gross. That layer of oil is ridiculous. The ingredients do not say “peanut oil”. I seriously thought it was tainted. Will never buy it again. If you are going to add oil to your product, it should be on the ingredient list, so i can avoid buying it.

• 5 Kimberly // 2014.06.07 at 5:54 am

That oil isn’t added, it’s just the natural oil from the peanuts used to make the peanut butter. All natural peanut butter, or any nut butter actually, will have a layer of oil like that.

4. 6 Tom // 2014.02.26 at 12:50 pm

Disappointed that they discontinued Adams PB…the best, no one comes near. Take a little oil out and mix. Not so thin/runny. Kept at room temp all the times I’ve used it and no problems! Going on 40 years now. But Costco thinks they can make their own Natural PB and cut into that market. Well the pole taken at work(pb+j crowd, kinda bottom feeders) says Costsco is weird tasting. Won’t buy again. Costsco needs to bring back Adams! Now please!

• 7 LarryC // 2014.07.22 at 10:16 pm

ME TOO . . . I think the taste of the Kirkland is MUCH too sweet and flat compared to the Adams, I vote for Adams crunchy again!!!

5. 8 Patrick // 2013.12.08 at 12:43 pm

I don’t know what others are raving about but the Kirkland Chunky PB is awful!! I know it’s has no sugar etc. but it’s flat tasting, runny to the point you can’t make a sandwich out of it, and it’ doesn’t have that much peanut flavor.

WON’T buy again!

• 9 Kazuye // 2014.07.20 at 11:52 am

I totally agree with you. It’s flat-tasting and boring.

6. 10 Alex // 2013.09.28 at 1:41 pm

I buy the organic TJ peanut butter with no added salt.

7. 11 Joel // 2013.09.26 at 1:57 pm

speaking of missing Kirkland Signature, what happened to their white mens athletic socks?

8. 12 Del // 2013.09.25 at 4:38 pm

It does not taste as good this time. It is kind of gritty.

• 13 Del // 2013.09.28 at 3:36 pm

I was speaking of the natural one. Not organic which was my favorite.

9. 14 sean // 2013.09.25 at 3:40 pm

I have been buying the to creamy organic for like 6 months now. I was pretty excited when I saw it was back. It’s my favorite, although I second Trader Joes. Without the salt it’s healthier but doesn’t taste as good. It’s also more expensive.

10. 15 Marge // 2013.09.25 at 2:51 pm

Thank you, Crystal!
    Trader Joe has zero sodium, which is the best way to eat peanut butter in my opinion. I just had it with a banana and coffee, a delicious and healthy little meal. My blood pressure is totally fine but I once had a vertigo episode and the ENT told me that the only thing to do for “inflammation of inner ear,” his diagnosis, is to drastically reduce sodium intake. So for that and to try to avoid future health problems, I go with sodium-free most of the time. I do love those 50% less salt pistachios so I don’t totally deprive myself but for me, something like PB just doesn’t need salt. It’s so good plain. And I do buy those Kirkland roasted seasoned seaweed packs occasionally. 1/5 of a pack contains 60 mg sodium but there’s no way I don’t eat the whole pack so that’s a whopping 300 mg sodium, which is why I buy them very rarely. They’re delicious and addictive!

11. 16 Crystal // 2013.09.25 at 2:37 pm

We bought the KS natural creamy PB. The serving size is 2TBSP, and the sodium content is 150mg per serving or 3% of the daily value. They use sea salt that is lower in sodium. Hope this helps.

12. 17 Marge // 2013.09.25 at 11:48 am

That’s what I figured, Kimberly, that it does have salt. Too bad. Same thing with their pistachios. They only sell salted. Trader Joe sells salted, no-salt, and 50% less salt. So I buy a pound each of no-salt and 50% less salt and mix them together in a big bag. Two pounds of that combo is 75 percent less salt than one pound of Costco’s pistachios.

Oh, well, would have been nice to buy peanut butter in larger containers and have less recycling to do. Thanks for your reply!

13. 18 Marge // 2013.09.24 at 7:26 pm

I buy Trader Joe no-salt crunchy. The only ingredient is roasted peanuts. Unfortunately they come in 16-ounce jars, nothing larger. Kirkland would be great in the 28-ounce jars but it sounds like it’s salted. If you tell me that it’s unsalted and no other ingredients, I’d be so happy!!

• 19 Kimberly // 2013.09.25 at 2:16 am

@Marge – From what I understand, though I don’t have a bottle to verify, all of their peanut butter contains peanuts and sea salt. Though, they don’t say how much salt is in the various formulations.