Costco US Food Court Adds BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

October 31st, 2013 · 34 Comments

A while back I wrote about a big change, and traumatic for some, change to the Costco Food Court items when they started taking the churro off the menu.  Sadly, the churro absence has grown and spread to many different locations in different areas of the country, so clearly it really is leaving.  And while that makes all of us churro lovers sad, there are new things that will be coming along to soften the blow.

But wait, now there’s a new menu item that might take away some of the sadness left by the gapping churro shaped hole in the menu.  Okay, it isn’t sweet and covered with cinnamon and sugar and it isn’t even fried dough.  But it does look good, very very good.  The new item is a barbecue beef brisket sandwich, complete with coleslaw.  How good does that sound?  Take a look at the picture, it looks as good as it sounds!  Is your mouth watering?  Because I know mine was when I first saw that picture.  I’m just guessing that this one won’t be making it onto the menu here in the UK, but I will definitely be trying this out on my next Costco US shopping trip (hopefully at the end of November).

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

This new yummy addition to the Costco US Food Court menu is $4.99 and while I’ve only been able to confirm that it is part of the menu in California, I’m sure it will be coming to all of the US locations soon.

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 Angela // 2014.03.30 at 11:14 am

Will, yep, I guess I did pick it apart. I was just underwhelmed. I actually do encourage folks I know to try the sandwich because BBQ is still one of my favorite kinds of food. :)

2. 2 Will // 2014.02.28 at 3:32 am

I hate to say it, but Angela, IMHO you’re one of the picky, picky, picky ones. It’s a good sandwich…don’t pick it apart! Just enjoy it!

3. 3 Will // 2014.02.28 at 3:29 am

I think this sandwich is great! Some of you are so picky, picky, picky! I was at a BBQ place in Costa Mesa Calif. the other day and a similar sandwich was $10.00. I’m thinking that Costco’s sandwich s/b $3.99, but maybe I’M being picky, picky, picky?!

4. 4 Allison // 2013.12.29 at 4:49 am

We finally got these sandwiches in Korea about 2 weeks ago. They are wonderful and would cost an arm and a leg in the Korean restaurants. They cost 4,990 won, which is roughly $4.50 USA money. My friends are happy to have them. Keep up the good work.

5. 5 Em // 2013.12.06 at 1:33 am

Just had one.. priced wayyy too high for what it was. The coleslaw was actually good, but the brisket wasn’t so great.. not enough bbq flavor, and was pretty cold. The coleslaw is cold, the bun is cold, and thus this makes the minimal amount of brisket cold as well. I would pay maybe $2.99 tops for this. Maybe split it as a snack. Wouldn’t ever buy it again as is, though. Plus, I’ve been burping a weird garlic flavor ever since I ate it.. gross. :/

6. 6 Bram London // 2013.11.24 at 2:31 pm

The sandwich was great.Could have used a little more brisket and a lower price.

7. 7 Kimberly // 2013.11.08 at 1:37 am

I am so disappointed to hear that the sandwich is less than great! I had really high hopes for it but the cold meat sounds like a bad bad thing and if the sauce isn’t right, well, what more is there in such a simple sandwich. Of course, I’m still going to try it when in the US but now my expectations will be set quite low, unfortunately.

• 8 mike // 2013.11.24 at 4:40 pm

i had one today and it was delicious…

8. 9 Angela // 2013.11.07 at 10:13 pm

If you haven’t tried the ‘cue yet, prepare for some minor disappointment. It is worth trying once at least to get a sense of whether the flavors work for you.

The bun was fine, although I agree with another commenter that it could have used some toasting. The coleslaw was ok, cool and crisp with a hearty mix of thick-ish shreds of cabbage. It’s just the right amount of slaw, but the overall flavor leaned towards the bland side, almost as if it were made with nonfat mayo (aka none of that semi-rich satisfying flavor you would expect from a full fat coleslaw). The brisket was tender, slightly chewy if you took a big mouthful, but pleasant. It was easily the best element of the sandwich. The BBQ sauce (the ingredient that would make or break the entire thing for me) was… meh. It was ever-so-slightly tangy (like a faded memory reminiscent of tang) and had a little sweetness but a thin consistency. At least it tasted kinda barbecuey. I was expecting thick, smoky sweet molasses-based glops of sauce, but no dice. I was left wishing it was even just a smidge bolder, smokier, with a slight kick of spice. I wonder if I could request an extra side of sauce.

In a nutshell, don’t go expecting southern or Midwestern ‘cue. Expect a BBQ sandwich at Costco. Try it while it’s still around because your taste buds may favor it more than mine. :)