January 2014 Location Update

January 7th, 2014 · 26 Comments

Sorry I missed the December update post, but I got really sick after our trip to New York and wasn’t able to get it posted before the holidays.  I’ve also remembered to update the list of new location opening dates.  This month there are plenty of new locations in the works to announce.  But unfortunately, there are also a few locations that don’t look like they will actually pan happen now.

Hanford, California

The public comment period for the draft environmental impact report for the proposed Costco in Hanford ended in November.  So, at this point the city is working on their responses to those comments and hopes to have the final report to the Planning Commission at the end of this month and then on to the council by the beginning of February.  The biggest opposition to the new Costco is from a nearby chemical company, Helena Chemical with their lawyer submitting 50 pages of comments.  Their big concerns is how additional traffic may impact the heavy trucks entering and leaving the chemical company, they also question the safety of having a commercial development across from the chemical company.  A preliminary layout for East Lacey Boulevard would curve the street to the north for about 800 feet and place it to the north of the Valero gas station east of Highway 43 and the intersection at Highway 43 would move about 400 to 500 feet to the north.

Perrysburg, Ohio

In November, the Perrysburg Planning Commission approved the preliminary site plans for the new Costco store and sent a recommendation to the city council to approve a special use permit that they would need to carry out the construction.  The plan is to build a new 154,300 square foot warehouse with gas station with entrances off State Rt. 25 and two entrances and an exit on Eckel Junction Road. The store would be adjacent I-475/​U.S. 23, near the northbound exit ramp to Route 25.  Unfortunately, Costco has had to delay final reviews of its site plan as a result of an underground natural gas pipeline that runs through the site across the parking lot.  Costco is currently in talks with Columbia Gas Transmissions as to what can be built over the pipeline.  The gas company wants to make sure that they can easily maintain the pipeline as well as detect potential leaks; concrete is bad and light landscaping is needed.  As a result, Costco would have fewer parking spots and would need to add more landscaping.  The final site plan review will be no earlier than February at this point.  Costco was hoping to open the Perrysburg location in Fall 2014 but the delay in getting this review completed, means that the opening date is likely to be pushed back as well.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey

If things go smoothly, Costco could be opening a new location in the Garden State Park shopping area.  The site was formerly a horse racing track.  The vacant 18 acre site is now planned to be a retail development, with shops, restaurants, and a bank; there’s already lots of shopping nearby.  The 157,845 square foot proposed Costco location would require the development to change from an office complex to retail though and that would require a change by the township planning board.

Oshtemo, Michigan

Plans to build a new Costco store as part of the Century-Highfield development were approved by the Oshtemo Township Planning Commission in mid-December.  The new 150,000 square foot store will be at the northwest corner of  Stadium Drive and Drake Road, and will also have a gas station.  Costco would be a part of the new 16.29 acre site that is being developed as a lifestyle center called (tentatively, I think) The Corner@Drake.  The new development will have retail and service businesses, and of course, the Costco.  Aside from the Costco, none of the other businesses in the development have been named.   If everything runs smoothly through the approval process, the new Costco could be open by November 2014.

Hillsborough, Florida

A new retail development is being proposed for the corner of Sheldon Road and Linebaugh Avenue in northwest Hillsborough county, with the anchor store as Costco.  The proposed Costco would be a 155,000 square foot stand-alone warehouse towards the back of the development with other plots available for other retail development along Linebaugh Avenue.  Unfortunately, the site will require rezoning, which can always be tricky and slow.  So far the developer has not applied for rezoning or anything, but has conducted traffic studies to determine the impact on neighboring areas.  The developer plans to apply for rezoning this month.

Ukiah, California

While progress is slow on the Ukiah Costco, it does seem to be moving forward, even if it is at a glacial pace.  In December, the Ukiah city council approved an environmental report and zoning changes for the new 148,000-square-foot Costco warehouse store on Highway 101.  The next big step in the process is approval of a Site Development Permit, which will go before the Ukiah Planning Commission in January.  Unfortunately, no matter what approval they get, Costco cannot open until the city makes an estimated $4 million in highway interchange improvements to accommodate the additional traffic generated by shoppers and they have yet to secure the funding for those improvements.  The Ukiah City Attorney, David Rapport, says that there are four ways that the city can obtain the funding, some of which include just closing on the property purchase with Costco.  With all of the difficulties, the project is slowly moving forward and the goal is to have the new Costco location open by February or March 2015.

Columbia, South Carolina

Looks like the first Columbia area store won’t be built in the Midlands.  Costco wanted incentives from the Richland county council but that goes against county policy to give incentives to retailers.  After several years of looking for a location in the Midlands, Costco finally found a suitable location at Piney Grove Road and Fernandina Road.  Unfortunately, road improvement including turn lanes and road widenings on Piney Grove, Fernandina and Piney Woods roads sent the project $3 million over budget.  So, the developer went to the council to try to get some tax incentives to cover the overage.  While the developer didn’t ask for a specific amount they did advise the council of the budget amount that it was trying to cover.  Now it seems that the inability to move the deal forward has dissolved into a lot of finger pointing between the council and the developer.  All of the contracts have expired, and sadly, it looks like Costco will not be coming to this area and will need to start looking for other Columbia locations.

Mooresville, North Carolina

Costco has submitted plans for a new store in Mooresville off of I-77 at Langtree Road.  Unfortunately, current zoning does not allow for a Costco-type store at the location.  And apparently, the city is not interested in changing the zoning because it would mean that other stores like Home Depot could also move to the area and they don’t want all that big boxness.  As far as I can tell there’s been no more movement on this issue.  We shall just have to wait apparently, to see how it turns out.

Holiday Closures and Hours

• Costco Australia
    • Australia Day: Sunday, January 26, 2014: all Costco Australia locations CLOSED.
  • Costco Korea
    • Lunar New Year:
      • Thursday, January 30, 2014: all Costco Korea locations CLOSE at 7 pm.
      • Friday, January 31, 2014: all Costco Korea locations CLOSED.
      • Saturday, February 1, 2014: Costco Korea resumes normal business hours; except Ilsan which will be CLOSED.
      • Sunday, February 2, 2014: Ilsan location resumes normal business hours.

Tags: Holidays · In the News · Locations Share

1. 1 Peter C // 2017.01.17 at 7:30 pm

Perhaps Costco is waiting for the Fry’s location in Claer Lake to fold (it appears their business has suffered in recent years). It would make an ideal location, and hopefully preserve the uniqueness of the facility.

2. 2 Amy // 2015.09.16 at 12:39 pm

Alyssa, Pearland is getting a Costco soon, although I don’t know when it will be open. Something else is being built where I was told Costco was going to be. (On the plus side, we did get a new Starbucks on my street.)

I haven’t checked yet when it will open, but it should be pretty soon.

• 3 Alyssa // 2015.09.16 at 4:54 pm

Thanks, Amy for the info. I had heard about the one in Pearland…problem is, from where I live, depending on traffic, it can still take well over 30 minutes to get to Pearland. I just don’t understand why they are avoiding the Clear Lake/Webster/Friendswood/Galveston markets…I mean, we’re booming here! Have you seen the updates going on at Baybrook Mall? I think I’m more upset by the fact that the service desk in Houston keeps telling me we’re getting one, but corporate says no…

• 4 Stuart Bernstein // 2016.11.16 at 2:36 pm

Amy, when you look on a map Pearland looks close to Clear Lake/Webster/Friendswood/ League City but the drive takes about 25 minutes. The person was correct in saying the Baybrook Mall area is booming and there were rumors that a Costco was coming to the area. Myself I go to the Richmond Ave. store because it’s easier to go to but I am limited on what I can buy and yes if you go to customer service they will tell you a store is coming to our area. Several of my friends have quit there membership because the warehouses are to far to travel and it doesn’t pay to go there once in a while. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Baybrook Mall is the second busiest mall in the Houston area and it is surprising that Costco’s has a warehouse everywhere but in our area.

3. 5 Kaitlyn // 2015.01.13 at 12:40 am

They are currently in the construction phase of the Costco in Mobile, Al. Framework was almost done last I drove by it, signs just say it’s coming Summer 2015. I’m curious how far out they begin hiring, Mobile location isn’t available to select to apply to yet.

• 6 Craig // 2015.01.13 at 10:19 am

Costco hires about 3 months before store opens for new hires.

4. 7 Things I Learned This Week // 2014.09.26 at 6:17 am

[…] I also learned it’s only available at Costco and the Costco that was supposed to open in my neck of the woods is being denied due to zoning […]

5. 8 Alicia // 2014.07.02 at 8:35 am

YAHHH! Can’t hardly wait for the Oshtemo store location to open. Can I buy my enrollment card now?

6. 9 Hao Wang // 2014.03.21 at 10:03 pm

When will the costco be available in Mishawaka, IN?

7. 10 Amy // 2014.03.09 at 3:00 pm

Can you confirm the Costco in Michawaka, IN? They announced it on our local news, in November, and then NOTHING. They even mentioned the location, and it would be perfect… but I even emails Costco to see if it was real (because they said spring, and there has been no movement) and costco could not confirm OR deny it was happening. Why so secretive?? WE NEED COSTCO!!

• 11 Kimberly // 2014.03.10 at 5:40 am

@Amy – This is the last update I had on the Mishawaka, Indiana location:
      Costco has made it official and submitted plans for a new location in Mishawaka on University Drive. The new 148,000 square foot warehouse will sit on a 19 acre plot and will have a gas station and a tire center. Costco’s plans will be discussed at the November 12 meeting of the planning commission, then it will be further discussed at the December council meeting.

8. 12 Allison // 2014.02.21 at 10:01 am

A new Costco is coming to Korea. It’s in Euijeongbu (pronounced ooo (like boo)-Jung-booo). It’s north of Seoul in Gyeonggi-do (Gee-young-gee province). . It is close to a number of US military bases. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euijeongbu

9. 13 Alyssa // 2014.02.11 at 11:55 pm

I live near Galveston, TX and the closest Costco is about an hour away in Houston (and a nightmare to find a parking space at)…every time I go and talk to the people at the service desk, they assure me that there will be a Costco opening in the Clear Lake, Webster, Friendswood area ‘within a year’…is this just a bunch of hooey they’re spouting to get us to move along? I pass three Sam’s clubs on the way to Costco…seriously…if they’d build one down here, I’d drop my Sam’s membership in a heartbeat!

• 14 Dirk Diggler // 2015.09.16 at 12:26 pm

As an associate of sams club, I assure you that we could care less if you want to join Costco.

• 15 Michael // 2015.09.24 at 9:57 am

I agree with you Alyssa, why are they going to area like Sugar Land. It’s close to the first two Costcos. I live in League City, it and the Clear Lake, Webster, Friendswood area isjust as robust, high economic area as the Woodlands.

10. 16 Beverly // 2014.01.26 at 10:23 pm

We are in real need of a Costco here on the north side of the Houston Metroplex. This area is home to The Woodlands, a robust, high economic city of 100,000. Additionally smaller towns blend right into the north Houston burbs such as Spring and Conroe. Furthermore, ExxonMobile is in the process of building its world headquarters in this exact area–this is a huge complex that has taken 3 years to build–tens of thousands of jobs will be all right here. This means more housing and more retail. We are sick and tired of our small, high priced Sam’s Club. Come on Costco. Why are you opting for new stores in Michican or Lubbock, Texas. This area is a gold mine!

• 17 ms.marie // 2014.01.29 at 9:29 pm

Rumor has it that a Costco in the woodlands is in the works for the end of 2014. Ive yet to find a local article to back that suspicion.

• 18 Amy // 2014.10.06 at 5:26 pm

The Woodlands will have Costco in November.

I’ve been told we’ll be getting one here in Clear Lake, but no word on when yet.

11. 19 Jacob Rivers // 2014.01.11 at 11:51 pm

You forgot to mention that Costco is coming to Mishawaka, Indiana.

12. 20 Nancy H // 2014.01.10 at 5:38 pm

So exciting to watch the Costco in Katy Texas going up. The building is constructed with the signage on the main building and the gas bar (which is built, just waiting for pumps!) I’m sure there is still loads to do inside, but it’s almost teasing us how “done ” it looks! Thank goodness spring comes early in Texas, can’t wait! The new store cuts my drive to Costco from 20 miles to under 5.

• 21 ms.marie // 2014.01.29 at 9:30 pm

The w.katy store opens Feb 6!!

13. 22 Diana // 2014.01.10 at 2:13 pm

When if ever will Costco come to the Bluffton / Hilton head island SC area? So many new end landers are here n LOVE costco. Do not like sams club. Bad service n selection !!!

14. 23 Ali // 2014.01.08 at 2:11 pm

Any news on one opening in Traverse City, Mi yet? Not only are Sams customers tired of being raped on prices and bad service (due to lack of people working) but employees are tired being raped out of there hours, bonus’s, raises, and pay. Some competition would be very healthy for them since they have monopolized the entire North now for 20 years.

15. 24 Betty // 2014.01.08 at 12:54 pm

Any news on a Costco in Mobile, AL?

• 25 Ron Allen // 2014.01.08 at 9:25 pm

I noticed under Costco Locations was posted “MOBILE, ALABAMA Spring 2015” without the question marks. Does that mean that we will get a Costco in spring 2014… done deal? Ron

• 26 Kimberly // 2014.01.09 at 4:08 am

@Ron – Sorry, but I haven’t heard anything new about Mobile’s potential Costco. The lack of “??” was just a bit of an oversight from me. I keep checking for info about that location but haven’t found anything to indicate that they are further along with an actual store.