Guest Post: Do you have a problem with broken eggs from Costco?

January 8th, 2014 · 7 Comments

[This guest post touches on one of my big pet peeves about the way that some Costco locations have their eggs packaged.  I am the lady in the supermarket that is always opening her carton of eggs to make sure that none are broken but you can’t always do that at Costco.  I don’t want to pay for broken eggs and I think it seems unhygienic to have broken eggs too (might just be my own weirdness).  I wish Costco would always package their eggs so that you could make sure your weren’t getting home with a bunch of damaged eggs.  And yes, I do know that you could just return them but sometimes you live farther away than would make that practical or you just don’t have the time.]

Costco Eggs

Costco in our area sells eggs in a 36 package  – 2 x 18 egg cartons wrapped together in plastic so that you cannot open the package.  They are from “Nearby Eggs” in Spring Grove, PA.   We have been buying them for years and never had any issues with broken eggs.   However, for the past several months I have not gotten eggs without at least one broken egg – sometimes as many as 3 or 4.    I carefully check the outside of the package and no damage is visible until you get it home and cut the plastic wrapping.

I am not sure if it has just been bad luck or coincidence or whether the supplier or Costco have changed something in the packaging or handling process.   Just wondering if others have had similar problems with broken eggs recently.

Note that one lost egg out of 36 is a 3% price increase; 3 broken eggs is more than 8%.

Best regards,
Steve
Bedminster, NJ

Tags: Food · Guest Posts Share

1. 1 d // 2015.04.25 at 6:17 pm

this is happening more and more – i’ve noticed that the shells are a LOT softer compared to other vendors. I’d read at somewhere that soft egg shells mean the chickens don’t have enough calcium. However, I am not a farmer and do not know this for a fact.

2. 2 Randy // 2014.01.13 at 11:51 pm

I used to have the problem when they transported the eggs in massive pallets. Now they transport them in much smaller steel racks. Problem solved. This was in Rockwall, TX store.

• 3 Steve // 2014.01.14 at 10:11 pm

Thanks Randy. Maybe you can pass on the advice. My warehouse still has the eggs on pallets.

3. 4 B. // 2014.01.12 at 8:16 pm

As an employee, I will typically check the eggs for a member by simply holding up the 2-pack wrapped eggs on the side. Most broken eggs will leak through the holes on the sides if you hold it up sideways. Other than that, before you leave the store, after purchasing the eggs, open them. Someone or yourself can get another package if they are cracked or broken. That will save you a trip back to the store.

4. 5 Rick Vanover // 2014.01.10 at 4:01 pm

I’ve not had this problem but in my market (Columbus, Ohio) they recently opened the 2nd warehouse location.

Oddly, the two source eggs from different providers, both are to Costco’s spec of 2×18 wrapped together. These are both marked with the farms names rather than being generically called Kirkland or a national brand like Egglands best.

While it’s not just inconvenient, it also makes the “experience” with the subsequent eggs not fun.

My recommendation is to take Costco up on their no-questions-asked return policy, you’d probably get a free 2×18 container if you are mad enough.

5. 6 Janeen // 2014.01.08 at 2:50 pm

I have not had this problem, but I’m sure Costco would refund you in full if you found one bad egg in the batch.

6. 7 trisha // 2014.01.08 at 10:44 am

My suggestion to anyone who is worried about the eggs is to open them up, rip off the plastic and check. if there are no broken ones great! If there are just give them to an employee and they will take care of them. Open up another package until you find one thats not broken. Please don’t just leave them there though, hand them to the cashier or supervisor please. They have to record any damaged food and destroy them. Costco doesn’t want to sell you broken eggs either.