Hola España! Costco Opens Today in Seville

May 15th, 2014 · 14 Comments

It is a big, big day for Costco as their new store in Seville opens its doors in Spain for the first time.  The new location in Seville will be the first Costco in Spain, but also the first Costco location in continental Europe.  It will be really interesting to see how the Costco concept translates to Spain.  Will there be resistance?  Will people love it immediately?  Will people be reluctant to pay a membership fee to shop there?  In any case, it is a big moment for Costco.

The choice of opening the first Costco location in Seville has been debated since it was announced.  Most people are surprised that the fourth largest city in Spain was chosen over the bigger cities, especially since they have a rather high unemployment rate at 34%, which is higher than the average in Spain.  The Seville Costco location will reach a population of at least 1.3 million within a 30 minute drive of the store.  However, if the attraction is there, I think it could pull shoppers from a much wider area, including neighbouring Portugal.  And that isn’t even taking all of the small businesses that will probably find it really great to shop at Costco.  Considering it is a totally new location for Costco, I think it is impressive that they have already had more than 14,000 new members sign up.

New Costco in Seville, Spain opening May 15, 2014

New Costco in Seville, Spain opening May 15, 2014

Of course the really amazing response has come from those seeking jobs with the new Costco.  As I have mentioned several times on my blog, Costco pays really well, and their new location in Spain is no different.  The new warehouse will have 250 new employees with an average starting salary is $25,000, which is twice the minimum wage for Spain.  Given the wages and high unemployment in the area, it is no wonder they had such a huge response to their job postings.  In the first week of job postings, they had 20,000 applications and more than 148,000 in all!!  That is amazing!  It is also really great for an area so hard hit by the economic recession.

If you’re thinking it will be all US products, it won’t.  About two-thirds of the products for new Costco locations in non-US areas actually come from the country where the store is located so there is appeal to the local population.  So, in Spain’s case that means that they will have local favourites like octopus, rabbit and piglet (seasonally), as well as Spanish olives, tuna by Ortiz, and of course lots of  hanging jamón ibérico.  The good news for the rest of is that this will most likely bring new Spanish vendors to our Costco locations too.  Of course, there will still be lots of Costco’s Kirkland Signature brand as well as other items we would all find in our location Costco warehouses too.  Naturally, the Costco food court will have a few local items on the menu, but the favourite meal deal of a hot dog and soda will be on the menu too.  In Spain, the hot dog and soda deal will be €1.25, pretty much the same as the $1.50 in the US.

The new Seville store will be a 145,000 square foot warehouse located at Ganymede Street # 9, 41015 Seville; I don’t believe they will have a gas station like they do in the US.  Costco Spain will have two membership types, Gold Star (for individuals) and Business Membership.  A Gold Star membership will be €30.00 per year plus tax and a Business membership will be €25.00 per year plus tax.  And don’t forget, your Costco membership is valid at any Costco location around the world.  You can sign up for a new membership online or just find out more about Costco Spain.

So, if you’re in Seville, or the surrounding area, be sure you check out the new Costco location.  I’m really looking forward to hearing all the details of the new store!

The Seville Costco information:

Calle Ganimedes n 9
Sevilla, Sevilla 41015

Monday – Friday:   10:00 am – 9:30 pm
Saturday:   9:00 am – 9:30 pm
Sunday:  Closed

For more information:

Tags: In the News · Locations Share

1. 1 Meggan // 2016.08.31 at 10:57 am

I am an American you used to study in Seville and I am very interested in returning to work at the Costco Seville location. Are there any available jobs? Can you please provide me the link to available positions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Krystal L // 2015.08.03 at 2:24 pm

Hello,
    Is there anyway of finding out which American products are being offered in Costco España? We are moving from the United States to Spain and I had already planned on filling my suitcase with my necessary foods like peanut butter and corn tortillas. It would be nice to get an idea of what is offered there. The Costco Mexico had a very nice selection but there were still many differences obviously from the US version. It is funny to read all the Spanish comments on this page as they complain about the extra thing that makes Costco such a hit here in the United States.

• 3 Kimberly // 2015.08.04 at 2:56 am

@Krystal – If there are specific things you would like to know if they carry, you could try calling or emailing the Seville warehouse directly. You can email them at: CostcoSpain@costco.es. I imagine that it is similar to the products we have here in the UK and it is sort of hit or miss with regards to US products.

3. 4 Enrique // 2014.11.20 at 6:41 pm

Next week, Costco Seville joins to Black Friday.

4. 5 Jesus // 2014.11.20 at 2:20 am

Allowing only one guest per member is absolutely silly. In the US, you can take as many as you want. This distrust is unacceptable and is going to hinder growth in Spain. How do you expect people to love Costco in Spain like we do in the US, if you don’t allow them to experience a few times first as guests? Whoever decided this was a good idea should be fired!

• 6 Kimberly // 2014.11.20 at 7:18 am

@Jesus – US members can only bring two guests with them and only the member can make purchases too. I had originally gotten the information for this post from a newspaper article in a newspaper, but I was just reading the Costco Spain terms and conditions for membership because it seemed strange that they could only bring one guest. So, it turns out that they have the same policy as the US, and every other country I think, where the member can bring two guests with them on any visit, but only the actual member can make purchases.

5. 7 Enrique // 2014.05.27 at 2:45 am

I visited Costco last Tuesday again at 19.30PM

The shop was more quiet, but no empty.

I am looking for new tires for my car and I have discovered that Michelin tires are very cheap on Costco. The 225 17′ 45 91W are almost 70 euros (the 4 tires) cheaper that another shop in the area. I´ll wait for a offer for a better deal.

I bought pork, chicken and beef. The meat looks like very fine and is not expensive.

The pork tape is very clean and costs 5 euros/kilogram. Price never seen in Seville in last years.

Chicken breast is a great package divided in four small packages with 2 breast on every one. Ideal for freezer.

I have tested the fillet of beef, and I can only say one thing: Great!!

It´s not easy find a good beef on a supermarket, you have to go to your butcher, and we have no time.

I bought diapers (as cheap as brand retailers but you have to buy 180), a big softener (180 washing), napkins (1080) and british bacon (2.2 kilogram, my child ate and loves it).

Perhaps, next time I´ll buy fish, lamps, detergent (very cheap now) and burritos. I have to get that big pizza that everybody is buying.

6. 8 Maria Jose // 2014.05.17 at 5:13 pm

Hola queria que supieran mi mala experiencia de Costco en Sevilla.decidimos ir a comprar el segundo dia de apertura mi marido y yo , mi hija se encontraba con su marido en mi casa y los invitamos a ir a conocerlo con nosotros, nuestra primera sorpresa es que al pasar no nos dejan entrar con la tarjeta a los cuatro, teniendose que quedar mi yerno en la puerta, cojemos dos carritos y son inmensos y dificil de manejar , ya qque solo see mueven las ruedas delanteras, empezamos a comprar y nuestra sorpresa que para comprar tienen que ser blisters de 6 unidades como minimo o envases super grandes, seguimos comprando y al pasar por caja quie ro pagar con tarjeta a mi nombre y me dicen que no puedo , que para pagar con tarjeta tiene que ser mi marrido y el no lllevaba , tuvimos que pagar con dinero y dejar cosas porque no llevaba bastante efectivo, pues bueno nos acercamos altomar algo y no habia pepsi.cola en los surtidores , ni cebolla ni cañitas .despues de tomarnos el perrito caliente con lo que habia,decidimos irnos y al salir hay en la puerta un embotellamiento y saliamos despacio, cual es de nuevo nuestra sorpresa que estan parando a todos los clientes para revisarle la compra por si le han cobrado bien , tuvimos que buscar el tiquet porque con tanto jaleo lo extraaviamos, y cuando pedimos explicaciones de este comportamiento nos dicen que si no tenemos el tiquet , tenemos un problems,y que esa norma la pone a la entrada del centro, encontramos el tiquet , lo repasaron y por fin pudimos salir, todo un calvario. pudimos comprobar que no ponia nada a la entrada y nos explicaron que era un control por si robaban , ya que los articulos no estan alarmados. Señores no se les puede poner tantas trabas a los clientes , pues despues de esta experiencia nos planteareamos el volver alli.

• 9 Kimberly // 2014.05.23 at 2:50 am

@Maria Jose – Unfortunately, those are all part of Costco’s membership policies and they are pretty clear about it too. The checking the receipt only seems annoying the first time or two and once the people at the doors get better/faster with it, and it isn’t the opening weekend with the abnormally high rush of shoppers, it won’t cause so much of an issue. Costco allows you to bring in a guest per member and the member must be the one that pays unless you use cash.

7. 10 Jaime // 2014.05.16 at 4:36 pm

Hello

Seville greets another Costco. I went today for the first time and the feeling is good.

Greetings from Seville, Spain

• 11 Kimberly // 2014.05.23 at 2:51 am

@Jaime – Thanks for stopping by! Is this the first time you’ve been to a Costco? Was it what you were expecting?

• 12 Jaime // 2014.05.24 at 8:48 am

Hello todoen orde first purchases. I estimate 60% ​​of domestic and 40% imported from USA. Good prices for buying in large volumes and correct quality. Meat is good.

I believe I made monthly purchases.

regards

8. 13 Enrique // 2014.05.15 at 6:08 pm

Seville says Hello Costco!

I have visited Costco Seville this evening and the feeling it that sevillian are very interested in this new kind of store.

Costco has two parkings. Both were near completed.

Inside store you cannot walk well, all the corridor full of that big supermarket trolleys (biggest that normal in the other spanish shops).

In one hour and half I only have watched a 20 per cent of the store. Too many people.

The products are a interesting mix bettween american and spanish products: hamburgers, peanut butter and gazpacho, tortilla and Cruzcampo beer.

We have not gas station.

Even spanish are not used to buying in big quantities I think Costco will be very successful in Spain, almost in Seville.

Sevillian are not very rich, but in this city, we love the great stores and hipermarkets. This fact can be the reason for installing the first spanish Costco.

I have spent 100 euros. I have to go another day for buy meat, fish and frozen meal. Today it have been impossible.

PD The store were full of foreing workers of Costco, maybe executives. They seems very happy.

• 14 Kimberly // 2014.05.23 at 2:54 am

@Enrique – The CEO, as well as the founder, go to every opening and I’m betting the move into Spain drew in even more execs from Costco because it is a big pretty deal.

The opening weekend is always crazy. And that is even when there are other Costco stores not that far away, so I can only imagine what it was like there. I’m looking forward to hearing what you think about the meat and fish they have and how they compare to your normal shopping place.