Costco UK Now Has Online Ordering for Cakes

May 20th, 2014 · 17 Comments

Costco UK Now Accepting Cake Orders Online

Costco UK Now Accepting Cake Orders Online

It isn’t always convenient to stop by Costco just to order a cake, so it is great that Costco UK is finally making the cake ordering process simpler for their members.  Now instead of stopping by a Costco location in person or tracking down the order form, wondering what each of the designs actually looks like, and then finding the fax number of your Costco Bakery, you can eliminate all of that hassle and just order your cake quickly through the Costco UK website.

In just four simple steps you can get your yummy Costco cake ordered with the design of your choice and your customized message.  Really, the most complicated thing you might need to know is your membership number, everything else is easy in comparison.  And that isn’t really hard it just requires you to have your card on hand.  This should make it much easier to get a Costco cake for all of your parties and celebrations.  All of the cakes, no matter what design or options you choose, are £12.99 and 40cm x 30cm in size, which Costco says serves 48.  I think that serving size is based on pieces that are kind of on the small size, but you can see how they intend for that to happen in the “scored rose bud” design.

Select the design for your Costco cake

Select the design for your Costco cake

In the first step you choose the design that you want.  Currently, they have eighteen different designs, including one that is just plain white.  They have pictures of all of the designs, so you don’t have to guess what “caterpillar” or “spray roses” will actually come out looking like, you’ll know up front and there won’t be any unfortunate surprises when you pick up your cake.  They have a good selection of designs to choose from that would be perfect for all types of different occasions – birthdays, baby showers, christenings, first communion, generic congratulations – and if you can’t find the look you like you can always get the plain white cake and add your own decorations.

The second step is where you choose the good stuff: sponge, filling, and icing.  For sponge, you can choose from just two options, either chocolate or white.  The choices might not be fancy, but the cakes are so delicious and moist, you won’t even mind.  For filling, you have twice as many options at four:  chocolate, raspberry jam, raspberry jam/vanilla, and vanilla.  I’ve never had one of their cakes filled with anything but chocolate or vanilla.  I really like the chocolate best I think, but the vanilla isn’t bad either.  For your icing selection, you have just the two basic options of chocolate or vanilla.  Both are really good because their icing isn’t that sickly sweet type or the kind that leaves your mouth feeling like you just licked a spoonful of lard.

Customize your cake and let them know when and where you'll pick it up

Customize your cake and let them know when and where you’ll pick it up

The third step is all about adding your own message and customizing your cake a bit.  To a certain degree the design you choose, may allow you to have an extra bit of input into the design colours, for instance, with the spray rose cake you can choose what two colours will be used to make the roses, as well as how many roses of each colour there should be.  Those types of choices aren’t available or appropriate with all of the designs.  However, all of the designs allow you to choose the colour of icing used for the inscription, and obviously you get to choose the inscription message as well.  But make it short and sweet because you only get 36 characters for your inscription.

The final step is to fill in your contact information and membership number.  Presumably, you know everything off of the top of your head, except for your membership number, so be sure to have your card with you when you place your order.  You’ll also need to select the location where you want to pick up your cake, as well as the date and time you’ll pick it up.  Costco requires that your order be submitted at least 72 hours before you want to pick up your cake, which is pretty reasonably.  If you’re stuck with a last minute celebratory cake crisis, you might try just stopping by the store and picking up one of their generic pre-decorated cakes.  I’ve found people still enjoy the cake just as much, even if their name isn’t on it.  Also, you *might* be able to sweet talk the bakery people into adding a name or quick message to a cake for you.  But that will totally depend on their bakery policies and how busy they are when you ask.

See, just four easy little steps and you’re on your way to having a tasty Costco cake created just for you!  Next time you need a cake, save yourself some time and order your cake online.  Just don’t forget to pick it up.

Tags: Costco.co.uk · Food Share

1. 1 Lesley Lynch // 2017.07.07 at 4:38 am

I have just ordered a cake online to be collected on Tuesday 11th July from your Chingford branch however I now need to collect it on Thursday 13th July. Is there a way that I can change the collection date or cancel the order and reorder?

2. 2 Judy // 2017.02.17 at 5:20 am

If I order a cake, do I (the member) have to pick it up? or can someone else collect it on my behalf?

3. 3 Andrea Leslie // 2017.01.18 at 11:25 am

Hi…. can you tell me what the use by times would be on these? If I bought a week in advance would it dry out before I came to use it?

4. 4 Karen Briggs // 2017.01.10 at 1:56 pm

Re my order no 107-200259 which I placed on 9/01/2017 for collecting on Mon 16/01/2017. Having placed the order I have since emailed to request can I change the design of the cake from hearts to the baby carriage. If the carriage can be in yellow as they don’t know if it is a boy or girl. Or can I cancel & reorder?Thank you.
    Mob no07450271901. Regards. Karen Briggs

5. 5 Laura // 2016.10.01 at 4:44 am

If you say you have ordered in advance (about a week) and put a time to pick up but now you might get there earlier will it be ready.

• 6 Laura // 2016.10.01 at 10:17 am

I was in today and just asked. They advised me that cake orders for your pick up date ls are always ready by 10am. So that has answered my question if I do get there earlier than stated on form.

6. 7 Kelly // 2015.11.06 at 4:20 pm

Hi, I know this is an old post so I might not get a reply.

I’m having trouble getting on the site to order a cake, I can eventually get on the first page but when I try to select the style it keeps timing out. Any ideas please? (Tried a few times in last 2 weeks)

7. 8 Carol // 2015.10.10 at 11:40 am

The website for ordering cake online does not work.

8. 9 Reannan // 2015.08.31 at 1:52 pm

Do you absolutely have to be a member to order birthday cakes?

We used to ask a friend of ours to order cakes for us but she’s moved and now we can’t get them. I know you can shop online as a non-member but would absolutely love it if you could order these cakes too.
    Nothing beats them, so beautiful!

• 10 Kimberly // 2015.09.01 at 6:17 am

@Reannan – Buying a cake from Costco is like buying anything else in the store (excluding the pharmacy), you need to be a member to do it. You might be able to have a member purchase a Costco Cash Card for you though because then you can use that to make purchases in the stores, even without having your own membership. Of course, you could always get your own membership. Here’s a post with a link to an article all about the reasons why getting a membership can be more than worth it: AddictedToCostco.com: Why Should I Pay for a Costco Membership? Reviewed.com Has the Answer, in case you need some persuading.

9. 11 Anne-Marie // 2015.08.12 at 3:39 am

Many thanks Kimberley for the speedy response!

10. 12 Anne-Marie // 2015.08.11 at 5:11 am

I can’t get the ordering form to open.

Is it still possible to order a cake online?

• 13 Kimberly // 2015.08.11 at 10:25 am

@Anne-Marie – They’ve changed the URL for the cake ordering. The new one is: https://services.costco.co.uk/cake/ I’ll be updating the post to reflect that. Thanks for letting me know my link wasn’t working.

11. 14 Kirsty // 2014.09.03 at 3:16 am

What if you want a completely different design? Can I just go to the store and ask them in advance or does it have to be a pre-designed cake?

• 15 Kimberly // 2014.09.03 at 3:20 am

@Kirsty – They have set designs for the cakes that you need to stick to. However, I’ve been told by various Costco bakers that they can be a bit flexible on the design; this is totally based on how busy they are and the particular store’s bakery too. It never hurts to ask, but in general you need to pick from the offered designs.

12. 16 Greg // 2014.05.20 at 9:53 am

Not a bad deal. And if you are in a pinch and need to have a name on a cake, you can just buy that tubed stuff at the grocery store, pick up your pre-decorated Costco cake, and scribble all sorts of horrible things all over it to offend your loved ones.

=8•)