Today, November 7, means that I’ve been blogging about Costco for seven years. It’s hard for me to imagine that it has really been that long. I can’t believe that with Costco’s three thousand-ish items that they carry, I could continuously find great things to write about, but it clearly is because I don’t even repeat myself all that often when I’m doing reviews. Luckily, Costco keeps changing things up and getting new stuff in, so that I can keep sharing things with everyone. Of course, there’s also lots of news to share because Costco has undergone a lot of changes since I’ve been writing my blog: new CEO, lots and lots of new locations, online shopping, mobile apps, and several new policies.
When I started my blog seven years ago, I was living in Austin, Texas and thought that no one but the friend that wanted me to write it and my mom would read it. But over the years I’ve had millions of readers from all over the world, even plenty of places where there isn’t even a Costco location. I can still remember the excitement I felt the first time I had a reader/commenter that I didn’t know from a state I didn’t even have a relative in either. I was amazed, shocked, and thrilled! I still feel that way all the time too. I really appreciate it when people take the time to email me, or comment on a post here. And I really appreciate it when people take the time to write a guest post for me to share with everyone. I’m both proud and humble that people take the time to read my blog and share their love of Costco here too.
I wrote my blog from Austin for a couple of years, and then we moved to London in early 2010. So since then I’ve been writing about my Costco adventures in the UK. Well, except for our six month trip to Sydney in 2013 when I got the chance to write about Costco Australia. I’ve also been lucky enough to visit Costco locations in Seoul, Korea and Osaka, Japan. I’m looking forward to visiting Costco’s new location in Seville, Spain sometime in the next few months as well. Thanks to all of our travels over the last couple of years, I have been to Costco locations in five different countries: US, UK, Australia, Korea, and Japan. I’m hoping to get the time to stop in Canada on a trip between the US and UK so that I can check out a Costco Canada location next year too.
So, now a few statistics about my blog:
- I have published 1,035 posts in the last seven years, that includes Guest Posts too. That’s an average of 147.9 posts per year and 2.84 posts on average per week. I try really hard to get 3 posts published per week, but sometimes I’m sick, on holiday, or moving (who knew that would happen so frequently) so I don’t always get that done. Of course, sometimes there is so much Costco news I need more than three posts per week too.
- In the last seven years I have made right around 250 “This Week at Costco” posts. In those posts I have reviewed well over 1,000 different products that I have bought at Costco. I’m not sure how often I’ve repeated reviews but I think I’ve probably written about 1,200 or so products. That’s quite a few reviews! I try not to repeat reviews but sometimes they’ve changed stuff or I like it so much I feel like it needs to be repeated. Hopefully, everyone forgives me for the occasional repeat. I also do special posts to review products too, so those aren’t even included in my “This Week at Costco” post estimates. But really, there are some things like the Kirkland Signature Men’s Dress Shirts that are so great, I want to make sure everyone gives them a try.
- Over the years I have written about tons and tons of coupons, around 85 different coupon book from the US, UK, Taiwan, Korea, and Australia.
- Across all seven years, I’ve published a number of Guest Posts and I am grateful to all of my guest posters throughout the years and really appreciate that they took the time to contribute to my blog. I love to share Guest Posts from readers that have something to share or want to help making a purchase decision for other readers by sharing their experience. All of them were great and generated a good amount of discussion and hopefully the people looking for help or opinions got the information they were looking for. I love having guest posts because it gives me, as well as all of you, a different perspective on Costco, their products, and their services.
- In the last seven years, there have been a total of 11,861 comments by lots of different readers and myself. That’s an average of 11.41 comments per post, which is reasonable I think. Of course, I know that isn’t how it works, because some posts don’t even elicit a peep. But there are some posts that generate way more than their fair share of comments. For instance, the Costco Locations page alone has generated 2,547 comments.
- In 2012, I was fortunate enough to be a small part of the CNBC documentary “The Costco Craze” as a result of writing this blog. It was very cool and lots of fun. I was a little worried that I was going to come off as the crazy lady who has a weird obsession with Costco, but they made it seem almost normal. LOL Thanks to that show, I’ve gained a lot of additional readers. And each time it repeats I get a few more readers too.
- Certainly the biggest change was the new CEO that took over at the beginning of 2012. Jim Sinegal stepped down and Craig Jelinek officially took over as CEO. So far, so good after his first few years in charge.
- There was a small membership price increase of 10% in the US and Canada.
- In 2009, Costco US started accepting food stamps.
- Costco released its first app for your favourite smartphone. It’s very useful if you’re in the US. I hope they’ll release specific apps for the other countries soon.
- Costco updated their websites around the world. For some it was just sprucing up the informational websites that they provide. However, for the US and Canada this included major overhauls for their online shopping sites.
- Costco rolled out online shopping through their Costco UK website in 2012 and at the end of 2013 they added an online shopping site for Costco Mexico.
- Costco opened their first Australian location in 2009 in Melbourne. At this point there are six locations open in Australia and more are coming soon.
- Earlier this year (May 2014), Costco made a big move by opening their first location in Spain. I really can’t wait to check it out now that the blistering hot summer is over.
Over the last seven years I haven’t really made many changes to the look of my blog or the types of posts that I write. But I think I need to spruce up the site and make a few changes this year. I’m planning on rolling out a new look for the website and I’m hoping to make a few additional changes too. I’ve got a couple of new pages that I want to add to make it easier for everyone to find out about new locations and hours and holidays. I’ve also got plans to add a few other things that I think might be really fun and helpful for everyone. So over the next couple of months, I’ll be making some changes and hopefully it will all go smoothly and everyone will enjoy the new stuff!
As always, I want to say a huge “thank you” to everyone that reads my blog and contributes their thoughts and opinions. I appreciate all of the sharing, whether through comments, guest posts, emails, or sending me copies of the coupon books. Without all of you I would just be that really crazy lady who has an unnatural attachment to Costco.
I also have to say thank you to Costco for stocking all the fabulous products that I keep loving year after year and for always managing to find new and exciting things that I can’t wait to try. None of us would love them quite so much if they didn’t have exceptional value with the best customer service and shopping experience ever. Thanks, Costco, keep up the good work!