Guest Post: Is Chili the Latest Addition to the Costco Food Court?

May 26th, 2015 · 19 Comments

[Is Costco replacing the BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich with Chili?  It looks like this may be the case, or maybe it is something that they are just trying out.  I recently got an email from a fellow Costco lover, Cindy in Washington, who shops at the Costco in Aurora Village (store #106 in Shoreline, Washington), letting me know about this change in the Food Court line up at her location.  Has anyone else seen this change at their local Costco?  And if so, have you tried it and what did you think?]

Is chili the new item in the Costco Food Court?

Is chili the new item in the Costco Food Court?

We live in the Seattle area and visit our local Costco once or twice a week.  Today (May 22, 2015) we dined there at lunchtime, and while approaching the line to order, we noticed a woman giving out samples just in front of the food court – not a place where samples are given out usually.  Turns out it was samples of the chili which they just began selling at this food court.  The food-court worker said the beef-brisket sandwich was not as big a seller as anticipated, so they were trying the chili.  The sign for the brisket sandwich had been switched out with one for chili.

The chili was $3.99 for a good-sized serving; Hubby thinks the chili is a 16 oz. serving.  In the picture, you can use the soda cup for a size comparison, though the soda was not included in the $3.99 price of the chili.  The sign said the chili had beans, meat, onions, and green peppers.  There are no crackers on the side or cheese, chopped onions, etc. on top, just chili in a plain white circular paper take-out container with a lid.  My DH got it and was very impressed.

I don’t know if anyone else has reported this new offering – maybe it is only our Aurora Village store #106 which is carrying it, but that seems unlikely what with the official sign. Surely it has to be quicker to serve than the sandwiches were since each of those had to be made up individually.  I will be interested to learn if this is a unique thing, or if we are just ahead of the game here at #106, or maybe that it’s everywhere but others haven’t noticed or reported on it.

Tags: Food · Guest Posts Share

1. 1 Kemper // 2016.10.13 at 7:58 pm

I had the chili in St. George, UT and Sequim, WA and loved it. I wish they sold it at the Henrico, VA location.

2. 2 Vickie Russell // 2016.06.09 at 11:06 pm

They did take the beef sandwich off the menu at Albany, Or. Costco and replaced it with Chili.
    I like the Chili a lot, great serving size, but I think it should come with crackers.

3. 3 Carla Friedt // 2016.05.15 at 4:39 pm

Could I get. Your chili recipe that u serve at costco?

4. 4 Alex // 2016.02.25 at 4:49 pm

Just had it in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. It tastes very similar to Wendy’s chili, but I love their chili. 😛

5. 5 Demetria // 2016.02.03 at 7:07 pm

The best chili I ever tasted. I live in South San Francisco and I am very close to two Costco warehouses within 3 miles radius of my residence. I wish we have that choice here. My husband lives in Renton tip he retires and when he comes to SSF, he brings me 2-3 cups of the chili and I never miss the chili when I go up there. Bring it down here here‼️

6. 6 Steve R // 2016.01.13 at 11:51 pm

I was quite surprised to see the Beef Chili at the Costco in Juneau, Alaska. Of course, that and the Hot Dogs are the ONLY food items at the small food court there. They could use a pizza oven.

7. 7 Easter Taylor // 2015.09.11 at 8:23 am

I guess they are. Last week I went there and they replaced the BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich with Chili. Though I liked it!

8. 8 Katherine // 2015.06.16 at 12:26 pm

I just wish they would bring back the dipped ice cream cones!

9. 9 Blanca // 2015.06.08 at 5:14 pm

San Diego – Mission Valley Costco switched the beef brisket (pricey and too greasy!) for the chili. I’m actually eating right now! Had it on an all-beef hot dog earlier, and had plenty left over for dinner. My only gripe is the lack of cheese (i.e ask with/without cheese) or some sort of crackers/bread. It simply does not stand alone.

10. 10 Rick Vanover // 2015.06.05 at 12:25 pm

My warehouse is apparently dropping the BBQ brisket and adding pulled pork.

11. 11 GJ // 2015.06.03 at 9:40 pm

San Diego Morena location (the oldest Costco) replaced brisket with chili as well.

12. 12 Michael // 2015.05.29 at 12:29 pm

When you have options like Wendy’s 99 cent chili I dont think 3.99 Costco chili is a value….i will stick to my 1.50 hot dog or $2 pizza slices! Haha….

13. 13 Crystal // 2015.05.27 at 9:53 am

I wish they would realize that a lot of people would enjoy a vegetarian option. It seems like every new thing they introduce is made of beef.

14. 14 Rick Vanover // 2015.05.27 at 2:52 am

When the BBQ sandwich arrived, even my local Costco people said it was overpriced.

I think it is good, but the multiple inventory may kill it (the BBA and cole slaw).

Chili… Hmmm.. I’d have to think about that.

15. 15 Cathi // 2015.05.26 at 11:35 pm

My Costco #1003 in Greenville, South Varolina still serves the BBQ beef sandwich. It’s not a huge seller here, but my daughter loves it. Would like to see the chili here. I loooove the hot turkey and provolone sandwich, but do not care for the chicken bake. I’d like to see the chili in place of that. :)

16. 16 Patty // 2015.05.26 at 11:33 pm

That would go great on the Hot Dog! With some chopped onions, yum.

17. 17 Candy // 2015.05.26 at 8:43 pm

If they’re going to have chili especially in the summer it won’t go over very well. Chili is mostly a cool weather item. Especially in Texas and Minnesota!

18. 18 Christina // 2015.05.26 at 8:27 am

I was at out East Plano, Texas Costco last week and it was not offered here. We still have the brisket sandwich.

19. 19 Anon // 2015.05.26 at 5:44 am
    For those of you shopping at the Covington, WA Costco, the food court has a new item. You’ll now find a bowl of Beef Chili for $3.99. The chili has beef, kidney beans, pinto beans, bell peppers, onions and chili seasoning. It seems like such a strange choice for this hot time of year…