Costco Bakery Cakes are Perfect for Your Celebrations

June 3rd, 2015 · 31 Comments

It’s that time of year when there seem to be a million reasons to buy a cake.  There are graduations, and the new jobs that hopefully go with, weddings, showers, birthdays, backyard BBQs, and national holidays.  Whatever the occasion, or maybe even if there is no occasion at all, a Costco Bakery sheet cake is the perfect sweet ending to a celebration or just because it is Tuesday.

I have written about the wonderful Costco cakes many, many times before and the popularity of those posts is evidence that everyone else loves them as much as I do.  They’ve changed them a bit over the years, and sadly cut down on a few of the filling choices that people liked so much (at least in the US), but the cakes are still delicious and certainly the best you are going to find for the price.  Here’s what I said about a chocolate Costco cake that I bought way back in 2009, and they’re still every bit as good:

Look at all that filling!

Look at all that filling!

The cake itself is moist and has a nice flavor that is chocolaty but not too sweet. I’m amazed at the moistness of the cake because usually when you buy a cake at the grocery store, or even some bakeries, they’re more on the dry side or totally Sahara-like. And then there’s the frosting: delicious! I’m not even a frosting person and I thought that it was great. It was light and fluffy with a great taste and most importantly not so sweet you have a headache after eating it. Really, that sickeningly, cloying, over-sweet frosting that most places put on their cakes it just completely uncalled for. Don’t they taste it and realize that it is horrible? The other thing it didn’t have that a lot of commercial bakeries seem to have problems with is that greasy, slick frosting; you know, it feels like you’ve eaten some Vaseline with your cake instead of frosting.

Lastly, but not least for sure, there’s the delicious filling that you’ll find between the layers of your moist Costco cake. It’s not just a thin little layer that you can barely see, it’s a big thick layer ((like 1/2 an inch at least) of this light and yummy chocolate mousse. Costco says that they put an amazing 2 pounds of filling in each cake! It’s such a better filling than frosting too because it adds another texture and taste to the cake, which of course just makes it that much better.

Costco US Cake Designs

Costco US Cake Designs

Since that cake was chocolate with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate frosting, it is just like the cakes that you can buy today (it’s one of the two options still available, the other is all vanilla and white cake).  Everyone I know that shops at Costco loves these cakes because they are delicious and don’t cost a fortune either.  I swear bakeries are getting more and more expensive with their cakes, and usually they’re not even worth a fraction of the price, so it is nice to be able to get a reliably good cake for a reasonable price at Costco.

The other good thing about Costco is that if you think ahead you can get it personalized with your own message and you can choose the decoration that you want too.  However, you don’t always have to think ahead and pre-order, because they have  selection of cakes available to just take right home with you.  Obviously, if you just pick one up there’s no message on it, but you can get some of that frosting in a tube and add your own pretty easily.

As I mentioned briefly, Costco US has two cake options now: white cake with vanilla cheesecake mousse filling and white buttercream frosting, or chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream frosting.  At Costco locations in the UK, Japan, and Australia, you have different options for the fillings, but still the cake and frosting are just chocolate and white.  I should point out that in Australia you can also place an order for 9 cupcakes (which are super good, just like the cakes).  According to Costco, each cake can be cut into 48 pieces, but those are sort of small (5cmx5cm or 2inx2in), so just keep that in mind if you’re more likely to cut it into more generous pieces (like I am).  I’ve always felt like you can get 36 to 40 fairly decent sized pieces.  They have several designs available and always have some seasonal ones to choose from as well.  In the US they have 27 year-round designs, in the UK they have 20 different designs to choose from, in Australia and Japan they have 19 different designs.  I should also mention that these cakes freeze really nicely and will thaw out and be pretty much every bit as tasty as when they went into the freezer.

Costco Bakery Cake Selection

Costco Bakery Cake Selection

To order your cake, you will need to fill out a form and return it to you local Costco location. I have a copy of the Costco US order form so that you can print it out and take it with you when you want to order.  This can make it a bit easier, especially if it is hard for you to get to your local Costco or is a long drive.  For the ultimate ease of ordering though, Costco UK and Costco Australia allow you to order your cake online!  Why all of the locations don’t do that I can’t imagine.  At least in Japan they are nice enough to have a PDF version of the form available online though, which certainly is a minimal amount of effort that the other locations could emulate, I would think.  In any case, you will need to order your cake 72 to 24 hours in advance (depending on your location around the world).

I’d like to think that all Costco websites will be offering online ordering in the next year, but I’ve been waiting for that to happen for several years now already, so I’m not holding my breath.  If you are in the other Costco locations around the world, I’m sorry but I don’t have an order form for you to download (you can always email me a PDF version that I can add here) so you will have to pick one up from your local warehouse.  Going by the other locations that I do have information for, I would suggest you order at least three days in advance of when you would like to pick up your cake.

No matter what your next big celebration is for, you should definitely keep the yummy Costco Bakery cakes in mind to complete your festivities!

Tags: Food · Holidays Share

1. 1 Cindy // 2016.07.10 at 1:34 pm

So bummed that there is no carrot cake and that they have changed so much. Nothing was wrong with the old.

2. 2 Kellie // 2016.06.11 at 12:03 am

No more whipped topping? I loved that alternative to buttercream. Also going to miss the ability to change up the filling. They need a few new cake designs too. Ugh, baby shower cake might not be Costco now.

• 3 Lily's lucky mom // 2016.06.22 at 6:54 pm

Sorry to say that fairly recently Costco has changed their cake & frosting recipes 😢
      I too raved about their cakes far & wide but had not actually purchased one for a few years till just last week. While it was pretty & they did let me customize the colors it tasted awful. The cake was for my 14yr old daughter’s birthday & all of her friends, even those who asked for big corner pieces, left most of the cake behind. I suppose the cake itself was fine but the so called buttercream frosting was icky. As others have noted they’ve also really limited your options & are apparently not able to be flexible as they were in the past. It’s a shame too. In the name of streamlining & reducing or at least holding costs they messed up a really good product. Hope “Mr. Costco” hears my unhappiness, raises the price & returns the quality.

3. 4 Susan Munoz // 2016.06.08 at 7:31 pm

Do we have to pay for the cake when we order or can we pay when we pick up

4. 5 Kitt // 2016.04.27 at 10:37 pm

Interesting and useful post! I am sad there is no more carrot cake at Costco. That was our wedding cake! We got two plain cakes and put a spray of flowers on one cake for display. (The other cake remained in the kitchen, where it was cut up and ready to serve as soon as we had cut our first slices from the display cake.) We got tons of compliments on how delicious it was.

5. 6 minhtram hoang // 2016.04.27 at 6:12 pm

is it possible for me to order a 12×18 cake and how much does it cost.thanks

6. 7 Matthew // 2016.04.10 at 1:25 pm

The cakes are 12″ x 14″.

7. 8 Cindy // 2016.02.24 at 4:40 pm

Can a picture or design be added on the cake as an edible image?

• 9 Emma Catherine // 2016.04.01 at 8:39 pm

I don’t know but I suggest calling the nearest store.

8. 10 Kimberly // 2015.12.30 at 11:36 pm

Hi! May I know if they have available white sheet cake with vanilla creamcheese mousse everyday? I wanted to buy cake for my husband’s birthday tomorrow but unfortunately I have no time to bring the order form to them today.

9. 11 Claudia-Kellee // 2015.12.15 at 10:26 pm

THEE BEST CARROT CAKE (besides my moms) in the U.S. is COSTCO’s!!! I had one last year and was told that they only have them during the Xmas season…So WHERE ARE THEY?!? I’ve been calling & asking & sending friends to Costco to NO AVAIL!!! :-( To exasperate matters even more, my niece’s birthday is December 20th and that’s her only request: a Costco carrot cake! HELP…WHEN will the cakes be available?!?

• 12 Melissa // 2015.12.15 at 11:59 pm

As far as I am aware, there are no plans to bring a carrot cake back at the moment. We had carrot cupcakes this year for a few months, but then they went away. The carrot cake itself hasn’t been around for awhile now, according to my bakery manager. The new items at the moment are the almond cake and then we will start making a fresh strawberry cheesecake soon.

• 13 Kimberly // 2015.12.16 at 5:02 am

I agree with Claudia, the carrot cake at Costco is delicious. I’m so sad that they won’t be having it anymore. That’s just a shame for all of us that love carrot cake because there’s no chance you’re finding it someplace else where it is as good.

• 14 Lisa // 2016.01.25 at 6:26 pm

Is it possible to get the recipe??

10. 15 Janet // 2015.12.15 at 3:59 am

Was just wondering if you can order custom cupcake orders from costco and how much do they cost? Was trying to budget for a dessert table for my babyshower. Thanks.

11. 16 Paul // 2015.12.01 at 4:01 pm

Does anyone know if you can order a blank cake with no design?

• 17 Melissa // 2015.12.01 at 5:17 pm

My store will let you. We normally just ice and border it. We get orders like that a lot

• 18 Paul // 2015.12.01 at 5:43 pm

Thank you very much for the response Melissa.

12. 19 Paola // 2015.11.30 at 5:32 pm

Today is my 24th birthday! Earlier my mother asked me to pick up my own cake. I tried calling costco but they didn’t give me an option for the bakery. They really need to have an oder form for the bakery online. Hopefully when I go by they have a cake decorator to at least put my name on it haha :)

13. 20 Rhonda // 2015.11.03 at 11:41 pm

Bummed that I cannot mix and match cake and filling and that carrot cake and apricot filling are no longer offered as sheet cakes.

• 21 Melissa // 2015.11.04 at 12:34 am

My store lets you switch up the fillings. Vanilla cheesecake mousse in a chocolate cake or Chocolate mousse in a white cake. We also do a lot of chocolate cakes with white buttercream. Costco just doesn’t do half chocolate and half white cakes because it’s not practical.

14. 22 Lee // 2015.08.11 at 10:27 am

Thanks for posting this info. Thanks to your pictures and order form, I was able to call our local Costco, get their fax number, and fax in a cake order. They confirmed that by faxing in the order this early (6 days ahead of time), the cake will be ready when we need it. Thanks again for all of the very helpful info!

• 23 Kimberly // 2015.08.11 at 10:34 am

@Lee – Glad I could help out and make getting a cake from Costco just that little bit easier for you. Glad that your Costco would accept a fax order too. I know they won’t all do that though, unfortunately.

15. 24 Evelyn // 2015.06.23 at 6:09 pm

Anyone know how big the U.S. Costco half sheet cake is? (In inches) Thanks!

16. 25 Melissa // 2015.06.21 at 8:23 pm

The US cakes are actually priced at $18.99. Still an amazing value for a half sheet of cake that is filled. Costco also doesn’t currently fill it’s white cakes with vanilla cheesecake mousse. It was not up to standards and was suspended from use. All white cakes are now filled with the temporary cream cheese mousse formula, which is quite wonderful. All Costco locations should be using the updated order forms to reflect that change for members. As a Costco cake decorator, I am a bit leery of the idea of online ordering. While it is convenient (I do most of my shopping/ordering online), I fear the end result could lead to trouble. Right now we currently expect fax orders. I have personally seen way too many of those orders never it make it to the decorators, which results in members showing up for cakes that we do not have ready. Also, a lot of members fax the cake order in at 6am and want it at 10am that day when we open. No one is there to receive the order at that time. It just leads to a lot of frustration for the bakery department. I’m not quite sure how an online ordering system would work. The department is not set up for a computer back there, and the chances of things not being relayed to the department is too high.

• 26 Kimberly // 2015.06.22 at 4:33 am

@Melissa – That’s interesting about the price because I had my mom call her local Kansas City location and they told her the price was $17.99. Also, the order form I put up was newly picked up at a US location from a helpful reader. I was told that US locations would no longer accept faxing of the orders (by another Costco bakery employee), is that not really the case? Or is it just the preference to not have people fax the orders?

I don’t know how the logistics of the online cake ordering work at the locations in the UK and Australia, but they’ve both been doing it for a number of years now and it works. They spell it out quite clearly on the online ordering that you can’t get your cake immediately and that they need X amount of time (it’s different in the two countries). I think the working out of the logistical types of details is not insurmountable and it would be highly useful to customers.

17. 27 Katherine // 2015.06.16 at 12:24 pm

Their cakes are such a steal. I live in the Souteast, where Publix cakes rule, but there’s no way I can justify the price difference, so I go with Costco cakes. And everyone is always surprised by how good it tastes. I love these for a kids birthday party. No frills I know but still really good.

18. 28 Dave // 2015.06.05 at 12:16 am

Hi – I’m kind of awestruck there isn’t an online cake form for the US stores like the Australia stores already have. Do you have any contact information you can give me so I can suggest to Costco they get going with this here in the states? Thanks

19. 29 Talk Radio // 2015.06.04 at 6:45 am

Does anyone know how those delicious looking, incredibly highly caloric monster sized chocolate cakes are that Costco sells? This site says there are 230 calories and 15g of fat per slice 2.5 oz. slice, and this site says each slice is a whopping 637 calories per slice The previous site portion of 2.5 oz. sounds a little small – sort of like a sliver of cake. There’s a picture of the cake on this other
    Costco blog The reviews I’ve read so far say it tastes great. For the last several years, my dream has been to purchase it and split it several ways with friends. In order not to gain a ton from that thing, the best way to eat it is to cut the thinnest pieces you possibly can, separate. and freeze.

20. 30 Alex // 2015.06.03 at 7:31 pm

Costco Canada also has these cakes, but not as much choice, or so it seems. They just have a bunch of ‘standard messages’ cakes (Happy Birthday, whatever) and they will do quick customization with names, etc.

21. 31 Cindy // 2015.06.03 at 6:46 pm

If there is a Costco cake decorator on site when you are at the store, they will write whatever you want on a pre-made cake while you wait. For instance, you select a “plain” All-American Chocolate Cake from the table and take it to them, and ask them to write “Happy 80th Birthday Lillie” in pink, and they will do so on the spot. No frosting roses or piping etc. – just words. A very nice service.