Update from American Express about Costco Card Partnership

July 24th, 2015 · 7 Comments

I recently received the following message from American Express that provides a bit of an update on the situation with the American Express Costco card.  I think they could have been a bit more timely in sending this out since it has been six months since the announcement, but better late than never I guess.

As you may have learned from recent news coverage, our partnership with Costco will end on March 31st, 2016.

While it’s not easy to see a longstanding partnership end, we remain as committed as ever to providing you with world class service and products that deliver excellent value, rewards and benefits.

Less than a year left to use your American Express Costco TrueEarnings Card

Less than a year left to use your American Express Costco TrueEarnings Card

What You Can Expect Now

Between now and March 31st, 2016 you can continue to use your Card as you do today, including at Costco stores in the U.S., on Costco.com, and everywhere American Express Cards are accepted and you will continue to earn cash back on your eligible purchases.

What’s Next

We have many rewarding products and are committed to earning your business now and in the future. As always, no matter which American Express® Card you carry in your wallet, you can count on American Express’ award winning service and our brand’s 165 year promise of trust and security.

Our Customer Care Professionals are here to serve you with Relationship Care®, our unique brand of customer service. We encourage you to call 1-888-246-1076, or the number on the back of your Card, should you have any questions regarding your account.

We appreciate your business with American Express and thank you for being a loyal Card Member.

Sincerely,

Josh Silverman
President, Consumer Products & Services
American Express
Member Since 1988

Tags: In the News · services Share

1. 1 Jill // 2015.10.19 at 11:58 am

Has there been any update on what Amex plans to do on this matter? My last Amex statement had a Service Advisory box on it stating: “You will no longer be able to use this American Express Card for any purchases as early as April 2016 because our Costco partnership is ending. You can keep using your Card and earning rewards until that time. Please call 1-888-246-1076 if you need more information.”
    I don’t want to cancel my Amex because it will affect my credit rating/score. Does Amex plan to convert it to another card in their portfolio?

2. 2 Job // 2015.07.28 at 1:02 pm

If Canada is going with Capital One MasterCard and the US is going with Citi Visa, won’t that lead to some major issues in places like Bellingham, WA? At least with the AMEX deal, it was the same regardless of if it was Canada, US, or UK.

I’m just worried that from a Gas Pump standpoint especially, it’ll be a hindrance.

3. 3 Marcus // 2015.07.26 at 7:44 pm

Costco in Canada has been using capital one since the start of this year. Now all warehouses accept MasterCard and push the new capital one platinum card which doubles as your membership

4. 4 Jim Clark // 2015.07.25 at 5:29 am

I got that same letter in the spring 2015. I live in Virginia.

5. 5 David Goodman // 2015.07.24 at 5:54 am

In the UK, AMEX dropped their £20 ($35) annual fee a couple of years ago. Still no announcement that the Costco-AMEX relationship is changing in the UK…

• 6 Kimberly // 2015.07.24 at 5:58 am

@David – I don’t know how long the agreements last before they revisit the contract but Costco UK hasn’t been taking American Express all that long. So we might have a while before this is an issue here. I hope so anyway because it is really convenient for me to use my AmEx here, plus this way I get lots of Avios from all of my Costco shopping.

6. 7 Greg // 2015.07.24 at 5:25 am

As I get my Costco Rewards slip I think each February, I intend to stop using my Costco AMEX in early January, get the slip, and cancel the card. I kinda hope Costco rolls out accepting Visa by February because I hate carrying and messing with cash (credit cards paid in full each month,) or I will maybe just skip Costco a month or 2 till they offer it.

At any rate Amex provides no service worth their annual fee. No card does.