Today, November 7, means that I’ve actually been blogging about Costco for eight years. It’s hard for me to imagine that it has really been that long. I can’t believe that with Costco’s three thousand-ish items that they carry, I could continuously find great things to write about, but it clearly is because I don’t even repeat myself all that often when I’m doing reviews. Luckily, Costco keeps changing things up and getting new stuff in, so that I can keep sharing things with everyone. Of course, there’s also lots of news to share because Costco has undergone a lot of changes since I’ve been writing my blog: new CEO, lots and lots of new locations, online shopping, mobile apps, and several new policies.
When I started my blog all those years ago, I was living in Austin, Texas and thought that no one but the friend that wanted me to write it and my mom would read it. To be honest, I didn’t even really expect my mom to read it. But over the years I’ve had millions of readers from all over the world, including plenty of places where there isn’t even a Costco location. I can still remember the excitement I felt the first time I had a reader/commenter that I didn’t know from a state where I didn’t even have a relative. I was amazed, shocked, and thrilled! I really appreciate it when people take the time to email me, or comment on a post here. I also greatly appreciate it when people take the time to write a guest post for me to share with everyone. I’m both proud and humble that people take the time to read my blog and share their love of Costco here too.
I wrote my blog from Austin for a couple of years, and then we moved to London in early 2010. So since then I’ve been writing about my Costco adventures in the UK. Well, except for our six month trip to Sydney in 2013 when I got the chance to write about Costco Australia. I’ve also been lucky enough to visit Costco locations in Korea and Japan. I’m looking forward to visiting Costco’s new locations in Spain sometime too. And when they finally get their new location open in France, I’ll be visiting that one too. Thanks to all of our travels over the last couple of years, I have been to Costco locations in five different countries: US, UK, Australia, Korea, and Japan. I’m hoping to get the time to stop in Canada on a trip between the US and UK so that I can check out a Costco Canada location at some point as well.
So, now a few statistics about my blog:
- I have published 1,193 posts in the last eight years, that includes Guest Posts. That’s an average of 149.13 posts per year and 2.87 posts on average per week. I have always tried really hard to get 3 posts published per week, but sometimes I’ve been sick, on holiday, or moving (who knew that would happen so frequently) so I haven’t always gotten that done. Of course, sometimes there is so much Costco news I need more than three posts per week too.
- In the last eight years I have made right around 280 “This Week at Costco” posts. In those posts I have reviewed well over 1,000 different products that I have bought at Costco. I’m not sure how often I’ve repeated reviews but I think I’ve probably written about 1,400 or so products. That’s quite a few reviews! I try not to repeat reviews but sometimes they’ve changed stuff or I like it so much I feel like it needs to be repeated. Hopefully, everyone forgives me for the occasional repeat. Sometimes I do special posts to review products too, so those aren’t even included in my “This Week at Costco” post estimates. But really, there are some things like the Kirkland Signature Men’s Dress Shirts that are so great, I want to make sure everyone gives them a try.
- Over the years I have written about tons and tons of coupons. I’ve covered the great savings that could be found in around 200 different coupon books from the US, UK, Taiwan, Korea, Spain, and Australia.
- Across all eight years, I’ve published a number of Guest Posts and I am grateful to all of my guest posters throughout the years and really appreciate that they took the time to contribute to my blog. I love to share Guest Posts from readers that have something to share or want to help making a purchase decision for other readers by sharing their experience. All of them were great and generated a good amount of discussion and hopefully the people looking for help or opinions got the information they were looking for. I love having guest posts because it gives me, as well as all of you, a different perspective on Costco, their products, and their services.
- In the last eight years, there have been a total of 13,269 comments by lots of different readers and myself. That’s an average of 11.12 comments per post, which is reasonable I think. Of course, I know that isn’t how it works, because some posts don’t even elicit a peep. But there are some posts that generate way more than their fair share of comments. For instance, the Costco Locations page alone has generated 3,079 comments.
- In 2012, I was fortunate enough to be a small part of the CNBC documentary “The Costco Craze” as a result of writing this blog. It was very cool and lots of fun. I was a little worried that I was going to come off as the crazy lady who has a weird obsession with Costco, but they made it seem almost normal. LOL Thanks to that show, I’ve gained a lot of additional readers. And each time it repeats I get a few more readers too.
- Certainly the biggest change was the new CEO that took over at the beginning of 2012. Jim Sinegal stepped down and Craig Jelinek officially took over as CEO. So far, so good after his first few years in charge.
- There was a small membership price increase of 10% in the US and Canada.
- In 2009, Costco US started accepting food stamps.
- Costco released its first app for your favourite smartphone. It’s very useful if you’re in the US, and I believe Canada has their own app now too. I hope they’ll release specific apps for the other countries soon.
- Costco updated their websites around the world. For some it was just sprucing up the informational websites that they provide. However, for the US and Canada this included major overhauls for their online shopping sites.
- Costco rolled out online shopping through their Costco UK website in 2012 and at the end of 2013 they added an online shopping site for Costco Mexico.
- Costco opened their first Australian location in 2009 in Melbourne. At this point there are seven locations open in Australia, with another one opening later this month.
- In May 2014, Costco made an exciting addition when they opened their first location in Spain. Just recently they opened their second Spain location in Madrid.
As always, I want to say a huge “thank you” to everyone that reads my blog and contributes their thoughts and opinions. I appreciate all of the sharing, whether through comments, guest posts, emails, or sending me links and information. Without all of you I really would just be that totally crazy lady who has an unnatural attachment to Costco.
I also have to say thank you to Costco for stocking all the fabulous products that I keep loving year after year and for always managing to find new and exciting things that I can’t wait to try. None of us would love them quite so much if they didn’t have exceptional value with the best customer service and shopping experience ever. Thanks, Costco, keep up the good work!