About Me & My Love of Costco

My love affair with Costco began several years ago in Tucson, Arizona. It was a beautiful, sunny day the first time I walked through that warehouse door that would forever hold a special place in my heart. At first, it was just a casual flirtation but over the years my love has only grown.

I have to go at least once a week, sometimes I’ve been known to go as many as three times in one week! When I’m visiting other cities that have a Costco, I feel compelled to go and see what bargains they have, if the store layout is the same, and what new and exciting products they have.

My husband, Dave, and I used to live in Austin, TX where we shopped weekly at the Costco  about 7 minutes from our house. However, in 2010 we relocated to London (yes, the one in the UK).  While the move has been exciting with tons of new things to try out and see, our Costco shopping takes a little more planning.  It is a much longer drive to our Costco of choice in Watford, about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic, and I have to make the trip in a Zipcar instead of my own vehicle.  But we still continue to shop all the time at Costco and have found lots of great bargains on things that we didn’t want to bring from the US or couldn’t (like electronics), as well as many new favorite products.  And after more than two years of driving here, I am relaxed enough while driving to not break out into a cold sweat every time we get in the Zipcar to do some shopping at Costco.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to experience the joy of Costco in locations around the world.  I have obviously been to Costco in the US and UK, but also Australia, Korea, and Japan.  I’m looking forward to visiting the new location in Spain too.

If you have a question, comment, thought for me that you don’t want to post as a comment on here, or you have some other reason you would like to contact me, you can email me at kimberly@addictedtocostco.com.

Become a fan of AddictedToCostco.com on Facebook!

Become a Fan!

Costco Material Connections (or, Does Costco Pay Me to Write this Blog?)

I know several people have made comments on my blog, or someplace else online, questioning my blog and my connections to Costco.  I want to make it very clear to everyone that I do not work for Costco and have never worked for Costco in any capacity.  I do not receive free goods or services from Costco and I am not paid to express favorable opinions of Costco; I receive no direct or indirect payments from Costco (unless they place ads on my site through the Google AdSense network which I do not control).  All of the Costco products and services that I discuss are purchased with my own money using the membership that my husband and I pay for each year.  I do sometimes receive samples from Costco vendors, however, I always point this out in my posts and do not let it sway my opinions or reviews.

231 Comments

1. 1 Wilma // 2013.05.12 at 6:34 pm

I was just wondering where you get all your information from in regards to Costco? I noticed last month that your website stated that there would be a location going into Guelph, Ontario Canada in the fall of 2013. Now it says it may possibly be in the year of 2014?? Which date is correct and what would cause this to change! Hope to hear from you!

• 2 Kimberly // 2013.05.12 at 6:41 pm

@Wilma – I get my news and information from public news sources. Sometimes it is rumours and sometimes it is in the very early stages, and that’s why I have the list of sites that may or may not be coming but have been reported in the news somewhere and they have flexible dates as well. The locations that have firm dates on my list aren’t in the italics and are sites that Costco has confirmed they are building and has a real opening date for. I like to keep track of all the potential locations so that people can see if one might be coming into their area. A lot of the ones on that part of the list are still going through the early stages of community planning even, and that can take a long long time, depending on the rules and regulations for a given area.

I’ve actually been thinking that I need to divide the list into three sections really: sites that have had opening dates set by Costco, sites that are in the planning or building stages and don’t have firm opening dates, and sites that may or may not come to fruition but have been talked about. Guess I should get on to doing that instead of just thinking about it.

2. 3 Brianna Bates // 2012.12.19 at 4:59 am

Hi! I’m wondering if you can help me. Costco sells tank top camis (with the spaghetti straps). They come in a black box and usually in a two pack and are an Extremely soft fabric. Previously they had no built in bra. I can no longer find this product, All of them now have a built-in bra. Do you know why they changed or where I can get the older one?

Thanks!

• 4 Charlotte // 2013.01.27 at 1:06 pm

if you mean the kirkland tank tops we currently have those at the store I work at in Ontario. They usually have those I can’t see them discontinuing them as they are a good seller.

3. 5 Lisa // 2012.11.28 at 11:08 am

Any idea how to petition, beg, plead, bribe or otherwise ask for a Costco to be built near me? Excellent market potential in my area PLUS some highway frontage acreage that can still be purchased. :)

4. 6 Jane // 2012.09.28 at 2:32 pm

I am sorry if this was covered elsewhere. When Costco first came to Minnesota they offered one year memberships for new members. Now Costco is coming Brainerd and I can’t find out if they will offer the same deal. Do you know where to check this?

5. 7 Whitney // 2012.09.19 at 4:14 am

Hi there–
    I wanted to email you but I couldn’t find where on the site to do that. I was wondering if you could help me. This summer (and last winter) Costco sold a Kirkland brand tank top and reversible Capri. The tank in the winter was thicker than the tank in the summer and I don’t know if I found the capris until summer. I love them both. Some Costco’s, from what I’ve heard, have their new fall/winter stock in, but when I call my local Costco, they are still holding stock from summer. I wanted to see if they sold a jacket. When I go to the Costco website, it says to contact my local Costco. Well, the local Costco doesn’t seem to know and keeps referring me to the summer stock.
    Can you recommend a better way for me to find out if they will stock it?

Thanks!

6. 9 John Smith // 2012.09.10 at 12:11 pm

Costco is great the first time you visit. Go back in 2 years and nothings changed – same old stock year in year out. Same old bland pizza and rubber hotdogs. Save your membership fee and buy at Asda – they are cheaper than Costco on 99% of the same stock.

7. 10 john // 2012.09.03 at 11:26 am

can you tell me how much you make of google adsense every month?

8. 12 Costco App // 2012.07.10 at 9:57 pm

Costco iPhone and Android apps

Description
    Go beyond the warehouse walls with the ease of your smartphone. We’ve made it even easier for members to access the incredible values found only at Costco. Members can now shop, refill and check prescriptions, find locations, upload photos for printing, view current member-exclusive coupons and much more!

itunes.apple.com/us/app/costco/id535509415?mt=8

• 13 Kimberly // 2012.07.11 at 2:58 am

I’ve been playing with the app for a couple of days so that I can try it out before reviewing it. I think that review will probably be posted early next week, at least that is my aim.

9. 14 Steve // 2012.07.09 at 9:47 am

I live in the U.S. and visited a Costco in Calgary, Alberta (Calgary NW on Sarcee Trail) . As always with Costco, great, but crowded. Just two comments: they have different items in the cafe, although probably all Canadian Costco’s have them. One in particular was french fries with gravy. Unfortunately it was too crowded to wait around (I had a flight to make)
    so I never tasted them. The other thing I noticed was after I got back to the U.S. My Amex card had a foreign transaction fee added (my Mastercard did not from non-Costco purchases). Not a big deal, but Americans visiting a Canadian Costco might want to consider bringing a Costco cash card with them if their purchases are sizable. I’m certainly no expert, but wouldn’t this prevent the “foreign transaction fee” or am I mistaken?

• 15 Kimberly // 2012.07.10 at 2:52 am

@Steve – A lot of credit cards, and always American Express, will charge a foreign transaction fee for any type of foreign currency transactions; so you definitely got lucky that your MC didn’t, I would say. And with regards to the Costco cash card, while I haven’t tried it myself, I have been told (by a Costco employee) that cash cards will not work in foreign countries. So, if you purchase your cash card in the US, you must use it in the US. If you purchase in Canada, you must use it in Canada. It’s back to the whole foreign currency thing again; Costco doesn’t want to be responsible for currency conversion I’m sure.

10. 16 Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Phd // 2012.07.08 at 8:36 pm

Would you be so kind as to reveal the model number of the scanner are you using to scan the coupon cooks? The quality is excellent.

11. 17 gyuwonk // 2012.06.06 at 9:54 pm

I wanted to pass along that my husband may be your soul mate when it comes to passion for Costco. We FINALLY have one opening (five minutes from our house, yay!) in Ann Arbor, MI, and despite having zero blogging experience, he decided to start a blog tracking its construction. I hope you’ll check it out: http://annarborcostco.blogspot.com/

Definitely not as professional or informative as your site, but entertaining nonetheless. Cheers!

• 18 Kimberly // 2012.06.09 at 3:40 am

@gyuwonk – Love the blog and pictures showing the progress. Just 20 little days now and we can all hear what the grand opening was like too!

12. 19 Reilly // 2012.05.28 at 10:33 pm

i go to costco 2 times a week and i will say,the cards are pretty expensive, but worth it. i am watching the news and i am watching a costco interview. it is so cool! It is really helpful,but i just want to know, is there any good deals out right now? and FYI: there is a costco in Superior,CO. thanks and please keep me updated on great deals! again,thanks!

13. 21 Ed Domanskis,MD // 2012.04.27 at 11:59 am

I enjoyed watching it also. Unfortunately, Costco has not realized yet that mostly what is being sold in the personal care section is composed of proven and known TOXIC ingredients which are harmful to us! It may be cheap but we are paying the price for it. Also, I do commend them for decreasing the cartons and having everything on pallets but how long will it take for them to require their vendors to decrease the unnecessary external packaging which just adds to our landfills! They are definitely a progressive company in many respects and they should take the lead and become more responsible in providing safer and healthier personal care products that are not only good for us but also our environment. I might add that I too enjoying shopping there!

14. 22 Simon // 2012.04.26 at 9:20 pm

I’m just now watching the CNBC program about Costco, which featured you. I’ve been a member for more than 30 years, since it was Price Club.

The program is a fascinating look at how I shop. :)

Simon in Tucson, AZ

15. 23 linda // 2012.02.01 at 1:23 pm

I enjoy reading your ADDICTED TO COSTCO website.I worked as a food demonstrator at Costco for several years,& had the best supervisors a worker could ever have had and was taught lots about the standards and qualities of Costco. As a customer,COSTCO is my favorite shopping store,& I vouch for its products too!

16. 24 gakski // 2012.01.27 at 10:01 am

The comic strip”Zack Hill” has been running a Costco theme this past week:

17. 25 Mark // 2012.01.21 at 7:55 pm

@Clark and @Kimberly. We buy a rotisserie chicken almost weekly. We usually get at least 2 and sometimes 3 meals out of it. We like our chickens moist. When some 30 chickens come off the rotisserie at a time, it is hard to pick the best bird for freshness and moistness. We don’t like our white meat to be dry-ish. We found that although the TASTE of the chickens are consistently good, the MOISTNESS varies. Over time, we learned to pick the LARGEST bird in the batch…the reason for this is that if there are numerous chickens cooked essentially the same time, the larger the bird, the greater the volume and the more moisture retained. It seems to work. We eat chicken by itself (with wild rice, oven baked carrots and beets, etc and using our Panini machine a spinach or sun dried tomato tortilla wrap making great grilled wraps with chicken pieces, mushroom slices, avocado (GREAT Costco avocadoes, 5 to the bag) cheese, and maybe some other things. The chicken pieces are also great over soups, added to wild rice, etc etc etc. One thing– some people, like me, love the skin by itself or with the chicken pieces, others, like my wife, remove skin. Personal preference.

18. 26 Clark in Hawaii // 2012.01.18 at 10:20 am

Last week I tried one of the rotisserie chickens for the first time. The flesh of the bird, while certainly tasty, was suspiciously “moist” and oily–nothing like natural chicken. This leads me to think that they inject the birds with oil, sort of like a “butterball” turkey. I’d like to know if this is true; and also what kind of oil they use–I fear that I am ingesting huge amounts of the wrong kind of fat and cholesterol when I eat one of these things.

Also, I tried a slice of the pizza at the food court. Tasted fine, but the texture of the “cheese” was different than any pizza I’ve ever eaten. Do they use some kind of artificial cheese substitute? Again, I’m considering the health aspects.

Also, I’d like to know if anybody has feedback/buying tips to offer regarding the hearing aids.

Thanks for your help.

• 27 Kimberly // 2012.01.19 at 7:09 am

@Clark – I think Costco has an awesome rotisserie chicken. And pretty much everyone I know agrees, even people that are outstanding cooks. If you make a chicken and don’t overcook it, they are very moist. I don’t know what you mean by oily, I don’t think of those chickens as oily at all, just moist and delicious. But hey, not everyone likes the same things. And it’s real cheese on the pizza too.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any information regarding the hearing aids and I don’t yet have a guest post on that subject either. If you try it though and want to write a guest post about your experience purchasing a hearing aid through Costco, I’d love to publish it!

• 28 gsuburban // 2012.08.03 at 11:34 pm

In response to the chicken, any chicken cooked on the spit is basted in it’s own moisture and oils for about 2 hours, the time it takes to roast them. If you haven’t had this before, a person likely will respond as you have. This is the method that yields the most moist and tender cooked chicken.

Regarding the pizza cheese, it’s likely the dough and the cheese. Again, the cooking process I believe is what you notice, not some rich oily and unhealthy ingredient.

19. 29 Dave // 2012.01.16 at 8:14 am

Where is the coupon for £50 off the Keter Fortis resin shed as mentioned on HUKD? Thanks.

20. 30 Mark // 2012.01.08 at 5:42 pm

Some new in-store coupons for great things…We have a few favorite prepared foods purchased at Costco. We were pleased to see that 2 of our favorite things were on sale with coupon as of 1/5…so hurry, for the next few weeks…. one is a Kirkland brand Chicken Tortilla soup. Two 24-oz containers…microwave in 4 min..each container with a large portion of this hearty soup. With the coupon, each container was slightly over $3 (with tax) … and the second item is Bellatoria thin-crust Pizza in the Garlic Chicken Alfredo variety. Three pies, for about $9 with coupon. We have had these before and they are GREAT. Bake on an oven rack for about 14 min… we add thinly sliced mushroom but the pizza, a white pizza with perfect seasoning, is great with our without mushrooms etc. Add this to our list of great Costco foods…like the frozen Chicken Quesadillas (I think it is Exelssior brand or somehing like htat) WOW…. and their great frozen French Onion Soups.. just add a splash of sherry or port…mmmmm
    This was a costco food weekend…Store-made Rotisserie Chicken Fetuccini Alfredo, asparagus, mushrooms, the above-mentioned stuff, and our latest find, the 5 avocados for $5.99…SOO GOOD. Thank you Costco.

• 31 Mark // 2013.01.24 at 10:36 pm

Me again. the Bellatoria thin crust garlic chicken alfredo pizzas are on sale for another 3-4 days.. no coupon necessary, $4 off a box of 3 pizzass.. We addthin sliced mushrooms and a little crused red pepperbefore cooking, makes a great lunch and dinner for 2 per pizza, or 6 meals per box…Tastes great!

21. 32 Elizabeth Kearney // 2011.12.31 at 9:53 pm

I have the same problem, except for Trader Joe’s. The closest one is 700 miles away, sadly. Whenever we visit “the outside world,” I try to make sure we get a Trader Joe’s trip in. If I visit friends in a Trader Joe’s city, I make them take me. They think I’m nuts, but it’s so worth it. I live a half hour from Costco, but don’t have to go ALL the time. We call it the $100 store, and we don’t often have $100 to spend in these Depression days.

22. 33 Mark // 2011.12.30 at 1:20 pm

Some great things discovered at Costco… They have had bags of 5 avocados for about $6… they are typically hard when we buy them, but ripen in 1-2 days and last another 4-5 days… Avocados are amazingly healthy…the fats they contain are just about hte best fats one can eat. So we have discovered that many meals can be enhanced by a few things we are picking up regularly at Costco”
    1. Capers…a way-big bottle, but put some on your (costco) pork chops when grilling.
    2. Mushrooms… Mushrooms go with everything..
    3. Garlic – -a huge bottle of peeled cloves… wow.
    4. Carrots. we have a new fave food…we peel and quarter carrots, sprinkle/rub with olive oil (and nothing else) bake them on a cookie sheet at 375 for 45-50 min…but add whole garlic cloves, some onion, and if you have them quartered fresh beets… take a spatula and move them around once or twice. the sugars in the carrots, beets, onions and even garlic come out and caramelize…they are great with any meal, healthy, and the leftovers are great for days. We are doing this weekly. (the beets are not at our costco, have to get a bunch of 3 beets elsewhere)
    5. Great snacks, either costco’s french onion soup (frozen), add some sherry or port to it after microwaving); or the chicken Quesadillas that Costco sells, in the Yellow box. WOW…i see in the coupon books for Jan 5-21…they have that great froen thin pizza…hope they have the Alfredo version.
    OK gonna get lunch…

23. 34 Jenny // 2011.12.30 at 4:02 am

OMGoodness! Can we be best friends? I too am an American expat living in the UK happily driving 45 minutes for the pleasure of flashing my membership card and getting a little taste of home in the form of a berry smoothie and a chicken bake. So happy to have found you.

• 35 Kimberly // 2012.01.08 at 6:57 am

@Jenny – I’d love to take a poll of Costco UK and see how many of my fellow shoppers are expats. I seem to get quite a bit of email from other Americans that love going to Costco to get their shopping fix. I’m amazed at how similar a lot of the items in the warehouses are in the UK and US, except for the food which seems the most dissimilar to me.

24. 36 Steve // 2011.12.10 at 1:32 pm

You are not the only ones addicted to costco! Just wish they would open up a few more UK stores.

25. 37 Gisele // 2011.12.08 at 11:26 pm

What a great website! I started shopping Price Club as a kid with my parents way back in 1976. I always wished to work there and then did. I was a Price Club, PriceCostco and eventually a Costco employee for 12 years. I left after getting my degree but not after learning a great deal from the company and being awarded 2 scholarships from the company that helped pay for college! Now I shop there at least 3 times a week! I love it! Not only is it a great place to shop but the best company to work for, especially if you’re a college student! As to Ronalds comment about the mochas, don’t know why they would discontinue the mochas. I live in Washingston State and we still have the mochas, sorry Ronald, it’s cold out here so we definitely need the hot drinks! I’d ask the manager at the food court, or in the warehouse about them. Happy shopping to you all!