Am I Something Awful?

March 23rd, 2008 · 42 Comments

Imagine my surprise when I saw a whole thread about my blog on the Something Awful forums. Ok, I’ll be honest I actually felt a little hurt and kind of sad that people would think I’m either: a) some cheap viral marketing ploy by Costco; or b) just some total nut case. I certainly don’t work for Costco, and for the record they don’t even have a full PR/marketing department from everything I’ve ever read about the company. I don’t have a marketing background even, which makes it kind of funny to me that people would assume I work for such a huge corporation as their undercover marketing person. Funny….but I do feel better about my writing skills now, I guess.

I also don’t think I’m nutty! Loving Costco isn’t wrong; it’s a great store! Like someone on the Something Awful forums posted you can get really exceptional deals on quality items from appliances to tires to clothing. And, I’d guess from the amount of people interested in reading my blog posts that there are a lot of other people that really love going to Costco and enjoy getting their good deals.

So, sorry all you conspiracy theory folks at Something Awful I really am just some chick that just loves Costco. 🙂

Tags: General Share

1. 1 Ridiculous Pants // 2008.03.24 at 2:12 pm

I was the one who started the original thread on SA. I’m now convinced that you’re not an ad person, just an obsessed fan. (which is fine. I’m a costco freak too!)

2. 2 Nick // 2008.03.24 at 2:09 pm

You have to admit that it’s fair to be a bit skeptical after “Jim & Laura’s Wal-Marting Across America Blog” fiasco a year or two ago, where they paid a couple of bloggers to travel from WalMart to WalMart extolling the virtues of the staff and product under the guise of ‘oh we just love WalMart sooooooooo much!”.

More on it here: http://www.bloggersblog.com/cgi-bin/bloggersblog.pl?bblog=1015062

3. 3 Kimberly // 2008.03.24 at 8:52 am

I have removed a couple of comments that contained sketchy language or just didn’t add anything of value to the discussion.

4. 4 D // 2008.03.24 at 4:35 am

Aw man, I have to wait until next year before I get some CostCo love in Sydney?
    I’d love to see a change from the Woolies/Coles dominated market. My parents used to shop at Sam’s Club when we lived in the States, so CostCo may be right up our alley.

Shine on you crazy diamond!

5. 5 Lowtax's Ghost // 2008.03.24 at 4:30 am

I bet the employees just love it when you come in. Then at least one of them gets to hear about how great the store is!

6. 6 Wandering Ender // 2008.03.24 at 4:13 am

I actually checked to see if there was a Costco nearby after clicking on the the thread in GBS.

So, who’s going to buy her an account so she can post in the thread?

7. 7 Neverwish // 2008.03.24 at 3:17 am

Costco needs stores in Asia.
    South-East Asia.

Singapore.

8. 8 Kimberly // 2008.03.23 at 11:38 pm

Good news, Justin, Australia will soon(ish) have Costcos. They’re planning on opening stores in Sydney & Melbourne. You can read more about it here: http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSSYD19056820080320
    I think Costco is trying to open sometime in 2009…you’ll soon be able to be addicted too!

9. 9 Justin // 2008.03.23 at 11:34 pm

I’d actually have never found out about CostCo if it weren’t for that thread on the forums and being led to this page. I wish we had CostCo here in Australia – I’d be addicted too.

Someone in the thread posted a 1.75L bottle of vodka for $18.99 from CostCo. 1.75L bottle here would be easily a~$60.

🙁

10. 10 LuchadoresdelCostco // 2008.03.23 at 10:54 pm

Yeah, you don’t sound like an advertisement at all.

I’m just glad there’s finally SOMEWHERE I can go to get “really exceptional deals on quality items from appliances to tires to clothing”!

Please.

11. 11 Kim // 2008.03.23 at 10:08 pm

– Comment Removed by Kimberly –

12. 12 Sam's Club // 2008.03.23 at 9:49 pm

We offer more competitive pricing and higher-quality products in our stores! Come pick up a 3-pack of 32″ LCD HDTVs for only $2499.99 today and save!

13. 13 Dave // 2008.03.23 at 9:47 pm

Man, I *WISH* Kimberly was paid by Costco. I could probably lay on the couch, watching TV (ours is from Costco), eating Cheetos (also from Costco), and drinking random stuff (from Costco) all freakin’ day instead of having to drag my sorry butt to work. Then I wouldn’t need that Tivo HD we bought from Costco ’cause I could watch everything “live”.

14. 14 Kimberly // 2008.03.23 at 9:42 pm

For those who think I’m trying to advertise certain things (and you know who you are Acrylic Squirrel), I really am just talking about the things that I buy at Costco on any given week or things I’ve bought in the past that I think are worth highlighting. Yes, I really buy all this stuff & yes, I really do go there every week. It’s my local grocery store of choice.

I like to call it being helpful, not pushing products.

15. 15 Brad Pitt // 2008.03.23 at 9:39 pm

– Comment Removed by Kimberly –

16. 16 Kimberly // 2008.03.23 at 9:34 pm

Yeah, funny how many people wanted to check out the allegedly fake Costco marketing site. 🙂

17. 17 Some Guy // 2008.03.23 at 9:26 pm

What did you notice the site lagging and check your google analytics?

18. 18 Costco Wholesale Corporation // 2008.03.23 at 9:15 pm

LOLOL

19. 19 Big Brother // 2008.03.23 at 9:13 pm

GON’ GET ME SOME ‘CO

20. 20 Anon. // 2008.03.23 at 9:12 pm

– Comment Removed by Kimberly –

21. 21 Kimberly // 2008.03.23 at 8:52 pm

Come over to the dark side… Costco rocks!

22. 22 D.F.G. // 2008.03.23 at 8:49 pm

Haha. I’m impressed with your response time re: the thread. I’m shocked a company could have this kind of loyalty without having viral plants. Maybe I’ll finally be motivated to get a membership there and catch the crazy too. 😛

Bookmarked your site!

23. 23 Kimberly // 2008.03.23 at 8:42 pm

I’ll be sure to snap a pic should I ever see a celebrity shopping at my Costco. Or, if you have such photos, send ’em my way….with a list of what they’re buying preferably.

24. 24 bigpeeler // 2008.03.23 at 8:40 pm

This site would be better if there were photos of celebrities shopping at Costco.

25. 25 A. goon // 2008.03.23 at 8:40 pm

Don’t mind us. If anything, you have gained a new reader!