Costco to the Rescue with a UPS Backup

August 20th, 2008 · 11 Comments

So the other day a friend had a nasty computer issue.  His whole home network went down due to the failure of the UPS backup system.  It seemed that the battery in the UPS system died a quick death, but one that lead to much pain.  It took a while to diagnose the dead battery but eventually that was proven to be the culprit. It won’t charge or hold a charge or anything.

Now, for those of you who don’t really know what a UPS Backup is, I’ll try to fill you in but I’m not an expert.  A UPS, or uninterruptible power supply, is a device (an essential one, in my opinion) to supply a continuous and clean source of power to your computer equipment.  So, basically it acts as a surge protector, as well as a battery backup in case the power should fail.  The key is to get the battery backup big enough to actually power your necessary computer items so that you actually have time to shut them off properly.  The good systems have outlets that are just surge protected and then some that can use the battery backup capabilities, too.  This will allow you to protect non-essential items, like a printer, from a surge but they won’t drain your battery in case of a blackout.  There are also telephone and cable connections to protect those types of items too.  Dave and I have UPS backups on all of our computer stuff now, as well as our televisions and Tivos.  Once you lose a couple of pieces of equipment to a power surge, you learn to protect your stuff really well.

TrippLite OmniPlus 1000LCD UPS Backup SystemLuckily, I talked my friend off the ledge and told him to go to Costco and pick up a new one.  Quick, easy and definitely saving money.  What more could you ask for?  So, at Costco you can get a Tripp Lite Battery Backup Omniplus 1000LCD UPS System for $99.99. (This compares to the whopping price of $229 on the Best Buy website!)  The Tripp Lite is a nice little backup system too.  For once, there is an easy to read LCD status screen (do you hear me APC?) that shows the incoming voltage, as well as the status of the battery and battery capacity, and even lets you know when the electrical load of connected equipment exceeds the capacity of the UPS.  It has 4 outlets for battery backup and surge protection, 4 outlets for surge protection only, included in those 4 outlets are 2 that are widely spaced to accommodate large transformers without blocking other outlets.  In addition, there is surge protection for a single phone line and a single coaxial line.  Everything you need to keep your computer up and running.   The coolest feature it has though, might be the PowerAlert software. The UPS can connect to your computer via a USB connection and the software will automatically save files and shut down your computer during an extended blackout.

So, the end result is that after the quick trip to Costco, my friend’s computer system was back up in no time and is once again fully protected.  Just in time for some mildly stormy weather with a little lightening.  Of course, it does take 24 hours for the battery backup to be fully charged.

Tags: Electronics · Household Items · Office Share

1. 1 Chris // 2013.12.05 at 9:53 pm

I’ve got a second one of these in my office now. My original one, used elsewhere, died after several years (circuits appear fried, not just a dead battery). This one has been fine for maybe 2.5 yrs, but it is now randomly restarting itself… the indicator shows a full charge. For the past few days, it’ll just start beeping as if the power had failed, but the computer attached to it will lose power. Then it comes back up like nothing happened. In other words, it had ONE JOB.. to prevent power failures and now it’s doing the opposite!

2. 2 Jeff M // 2009.09.24 at 10:27 pm

I just returned mine today. Bought it and installed late afternoon in my home office. Almost immediately, I smelled the horrible toxic plastic or who knows what odor. After 3 hours of me working in my home office, my eyes became severely irritated and I developed a light headache. My whole house was suddenly filled with this noxious odor. The following morning, I immediately unplugged it and returned it to Costco. I don’t know if this was a defective unit but some people on the web have complained about the odor and irritated eyes.

3. 3 Rickie M // 2009.04.18 at 10:44 am

I have two of these, both from Costco. I think I’ve had them for at least two or three years but they work perfectly. They’re a good deal!

4. 4 This Week at Costco - April 12, 2009 // 2009.04.18 at 7:46 am

[…] Customer Service is Tops – In August, we purchased a TrippLite battery backup system, our second one actually, that worked really great until a couple of weeks ago.  It started having […]

5. 5 NoName // 2009.02.01 at 3:06 pm

I had to return mine for it gave out a terrible toxic plastic smell and was willing to wait for it to go away…

6. 6 Kimberly // 2008.09.01 at 8:09 am

Funny enough, I bought the backup and then a couple of days later, practically just long enough for it to get all charged up, it was called in to service when our power went out briefly. It worked without a flaw which I was exceptionally happy about since Dave and I were both out of town and couldn’t have fixed anything if it had all gotten screwed up because of a power problem. So far, so good with the new Tripp Lite.

7. 7 Pat // 2008.08.26 at 2:13 pm

I have been totally **underwhelmed** with the performance of the Tripp Lite UPS units from Costco. We have purchased 6 different Tripp Lite units from Costco over the last 8 years and have had problems with half of them – from early demise on 1 to two that were defective right out of the box. No more Tripp Lite for us!!!

8. 8 Kimberly // 2008.08.21 at 5:26 pm

Well, this one is good if you only have a few things that actually need to be on battery backup and then some stuff you just want to surge protect. It’s very nice for keeping your television and Tivo going.

The selection for these at Costco.com isn’t so spectacular, I thought. And lately, I’ve just been really unimpressed with APC’s backups; our last two have died unnaturally quickly I think.

9. 9 justin // 2008.08.21 at 1:06 pm

I only wish costco online could be priced as well as newegg!

10. 10 justin // 2008.08.21 at 1:02 pm

I’ll have to check them out. This one is a little small for me, but it looks like newegg has a similar one for about $130 plus shipping, making Costco cheaper.

11. 11 FlatGreg // 2008.08.21 at 1:40 am

UPSs are definitely essential. It’s a small price to pay for better computer reliability, safer data, and longer equipment life. I too noticed that the costco UPSs were priced very well.