Plenty of Prosciutto di Parma

October 29th, 2008 · 11 Comments

Okay, I know we’ve all seen various items at Costco that are jumbo sized, things you can’t believe anyone shopping there actually buys.  However, this was a shocker even to me.  I saw this large, maybe gigantic is more fitting, prosciutto in the sliced meat area at Costco and knew I just had to feature it on my blog (thankfully I had my camera with me).

Citterio Prosciutto di ParmaSo, there in the lunch meat and sliced cheese section at Costco, was this big ol’ Citterio Prosciutto di Parma.   How big is big?  It’s over 16 pounds worth of big!  That is more prosciutto than anyone could ever use at home, right?  This must be geared toward restaurants or caterers, right?  For comparison, the regular size prosciutto package that you can purchase at Costco is 12 ounces (yes, less than a 16th of the giant size) and that is plenty for most normal eating or entertaining purposes.  I’ve never seen prosciutto in the wild, as it were, only in little shaved slices, so it is kind of interesting to see the whole, unsliced prosciutto.  Of course, you’re going to need a good slicer to shave this up for any kind of use.  Or, do you think you can just use a nice, sharp knife?  And how long is this thing going to last before it gets to a questionable state?  I know that you can use prosciutto in several different preparations: antipasto, sandwiches, stuffing, pasta sauce, pizza topping, or wrapped around a variety of fruits and vegetables.  However, can you use 16 to 17 pounds of it before it goes bad?  And now we come to the good part, the price.  It isn’t cheap to buy, though it is cheaper than buying the pre-sliced stuff, but at $8.99 per pound you’ll be sinking around $150 into buying the whole prosciutto at Costco.

Don’t get me wrong, I love proscuitto and we always have some in our fridge.  But this is just so beyond large that I can’t imagine who buys it.  I’m fascinated, what can I say.

Tags: Food · Holidays Share

1. 1 J&B // 2013.04.26 at 9:47 pm

We purchase one every year. Open the package and trim off as much fat as we can. We then cut it in to 4 -5 large blocks (approximately 4 ” x 6″ x 8″). We then vacuum pack all but one block. The open block is then cut very thin (less then 1/8″) using an inexpensive meat slicer. These pieces are placed on wax paper and then placed in a zip lock bag and eaten over then next 2-4 weeks. We use the Proiscuitto on French bread with gruyere cheese (toasted), wrapped around melon slices, in scrambled eggs, etc… The vacuum packed meat in our refrigerator will remain fresh for months. By purchasing our Proiscuitto this way the cost is about $14.00/lb. The same cuts of meat at Zupans in Oregon or Draigers in the SF Bay Area is about $30.00/lb and they don’t trim their meet as well as we do. BUON APPETITO! J and B.

• 2 Kimberly // 2013.04.30 at 6:43 pm

@J&B – You are my kind of people! It’s really a great idea to buy one of these if you’re a prosciutto lover, like I am too. I wasn’t sure it would be freezable though, at least not without serious compromises to the texture and taste. But I might have to consider this now that you’ve said what good results you get. Thanks for the tip!

• 3 Antonino // 2015.09.02 at 3:46 pm

The Prosciutto di Perma is the only one you can freeze. the Prosciutto is cured for more than 450 days and for this reason you can freeze and than use when more appropriate. i use to cut the entire leg in 4 quadrants. i put 3 in the freezer and the last i consume over a period of 1-2 months. this prosciutto can stay in the refrigerator for months. just be careful to properly wrap the block when you save it.

2. 4 Amanda // 2012.12.19 at 9:08 am

I just received one of these as a small family gift–HOLY COW!!! What to do with this huge monster of meat!–Hamburger I can use but, 18lbs of Prosciutto??? I think not!! I could feed a town! This is being donated to a local food bank!!

• 5 Amanda // 2012.12.19 at 9:16 am

Maybe I should have said “HOLY PIG!!!!!

3. 6 Dona Fox // 2011.12.01 at 2:09 pm

My partner purchased one from Costco in Wilsonville, Or. We have it in the refrigerator and debating the best way to care for it.
    He says there’s a bone through it but I am not seeing one. Is it better to keep it on the counter under a damp towel asDr Marco Mazzoni suggests?

4. 7 Saul and Suzanne // 2011.11.11 at 5:09 pm

Well we bought a big one at the Everett, MA Costco and met the man, Dr. Marco Mazzoni, Northwest Regional Manager for Special Projects, and he knew everything there is to know about Citterio Fresco Prosciutto Di Parma and get this, he hand carried 10 legs from Italty and I got the last one. 17 LBS $149.00. He explained to us how you can keep a damp towel over it and leave it on your counter for 9 months, no problem. If you freeze it properly after cutting it into pieces, it will keep easily for 2 to 3 years. This is so cool and we’re saving it for December Holidays! Saul & Suzanne, Boston, MA

5. 8 jeanee // 2011.09.07 at 2:06 am

i am actually buying the big one, well nto the 16 lbs coz i cant affor dit, if i can i woudl buy it , i am addicted to it hehehe, i only buy a few oz here and there , i plan to buy the 10 lbs one, well that i can afford at 80$ plus srcharge of 4 $ of me being not a member a@ costco, but i defintiely will buy again hehehe, i dotn drink i dotn smoke anything , thats just my only vice and finding bulk on a cheaper price makes my day a christmas day hehehe,lets say thats my cigarrrette

6. 9 yegul // 2010.11.23 at 9:56 pm

Very much interested in your Italian Parma citterio prosciutto. Which Costco store did you come across this gem? I am in southern California and would love to find it. Thanks for sharing the info.
    F. Yegul

7. 10 Josefina // 2010.11.17 at 11:13 pm

hehe…I just bought one of these for the winter pleasure of my family and friends…it is sooo wonderful and @ 8.99 lb you can’t go wrong! Stored in a cool place it will keep for a really long time but it will be a memory by then 😉 So you ask, who would buy something like this besides a deli??? Well, when I was growing up, we almost always had one hanging in our pantry. mom is from Spain, and we’re part Italian too…;) A nice treat for the family and friends (it is a good emergency food item as well) food for thought hehe I was so excited about this find that I called my brother from the store to let him know about it…apparrently the store only gets one order a year when it’s gone it’s gone! So, I was looking for info on this wonderful ham from the Parma region when I discovered your blog, I’m sending your link to my brother…Thank you for the pics and happy holiday to you and yours!!

8. 11 Adam Schepp // 2008.11.06 at 11:01 am

Since it’s a cured meat, like a salami, it pretty much never goes bad.