This Week at Costco – December 14 2008

December 20th, 2008 · 13 Comments

It’s the season of Christmas parties lately, it seems.  And because of that our last couple of trips to Costco have been filled with either buying stuff to bake with or just cheating and buying someone’s already prepared cookies or desserts.

KS California Walnuts

KS California Walnuts

Kirkland Signature Walnuts – I like to make at least one batch of baklava for the holidays and if I’m lucky I’ll be able to give some of it away so that I don’t eat a ton of it by myself.  Luckily, the last couple of years we have gone to a Christmas party where it is greatly appreciated, so I have just enough left over to enjoy it but not so much that I’m still eating it a month later.  Aside from needing a lot of butter (3 sticks), it also needs a decent amount of nuts.  I use a little more than 1.5 pounds of walnuts in my baklava, so it is nice to be able to have someplace that I can get good quality walnuts, in the quantity I need, without it being unbearably expensive.  I really haven’t found a better place to buy nuts, of any kind, cheaper or better than Costco.  So, I use half of the bag making baklava and then with the other half of the bag I can make spiced nuts, or I can make a nice walnut based pesto.  Or, you could put them in or on brownies or throw them in with a nice salad.  I just eat them raw often too because a few nuts everyday – walnuts or most other types – is supposed to be quite healthy for you.  But if you can’t think of a way to use the whole bag, you can always put them in the fridge or freezer.  I prefer the freezer because they will keep much longer in there and they thaw out very quickly when you do want some.  3 pounds for $13.99.

Yummy Costco Muffins

Yummy Costco Muffins

Costco Bakery Muffins – I normally would not buy a dozen of the muffins from Costco because there are just the two of us and these muffins are big.  However, they had a little muffin demo set up when we were there.  They lured us to the table with little samples of all of the muffin types and used stories about how we could freeze them for up to 3 months.  And we totally fell for it!  But the nice thing is that you could pick which varieties you wanted in your muffin 12 pack.  After sampling all of the flavors we decided that we would get six of the chocolate and six of the pumpkin struessel.  My favorite is the pumpkin because it is just the perfect mix of spicy and sweet.  Dave of course really prefers the chocolate ones.  I was totally and completely unimpressed with the banana nut muffin that I tried at the store.  I love banana nut bread but the muffin was kind of devoid of the taste of either nuts or bananas and it seemed drier than the others.  The blueberry and pecan muffins were good but no where near as flavorful as the pumpkin muffins.  I did think that the idea of being able to make your own muffin mix was genius though. I wonder how many more people would buy the muffins if they could mix and match them like you do the bagels.  12 muffins for $6.49.

Kelsen Danish Butter Cookies

Kelsen Danish Butter Cookies

Kelsen Danish Butter Cookies – I obviously should eat a big breakfast before I go to Costco because this is something I really shouldn’t have purchased.  I mean, I love the Danish butter cookies, but did I really need a 5 pound tin of them?  Something tells me absolutely, positively ‘no’!  In any case, the nice woman who was pushing the butter cookies told me that they would last for months in the tin (the date on it is November 2009) so I totally got suckered in to buying them.  Of course, I have taken some to a couple of get togethers so I don’t have to eat the entire 5 pounds by myself.  My mom would buy me one of the little blue tins from Royal Dansk every year, so it kind of has a certain Christmasy feel to me.  The Kelsen people make the Royal Dansk cookies too, it turns out.  For those of you that don’t know what a Danish butter cookie is, I feel sad for you.  But I’ll try to explain:  they are these deliciously rich buttery cookies that are denser than a sugar cookie, more like shortbread but with a crunchier texture.  Some of them have the big sugar sprinkled on the top that also adds an extra punch of sweet; those are my favorites in the tin.  And hey, I’ve always got the decorative tin for use after I eat all the evidence, I mean cookies.  5 pounds for $12.99.

Minature Desserts

Minature Desserts

European Mini Dessert Assortment –  I bought these for a party that we were going to, as well.  There’s a nice selection of six different little tiny desserts in this box: Black Forest Roulette, Black & White Feathered Slice, Vanilla Roulette, Chocolate Dipped Cream Puff, and Cappuccino Cream Eclairs.  They are very very small so they make great one bite desserts.  They were okay but nothing spectacular.  I think the little things that look like jelly rolls were probably my favorites and certainly looked the nicest.  I think these would be great for a very large gathering because there are so many of them and they look pretty too.  But if I were having people over for a really small dinner party, I think I would skip these.  I guess I was expecting a lighter texture to the pastry items, more like a bakery and they just didn’t live up to that.  Of course, they do come frozen so I should have known what they would be like.  But they did have a nice flavor and certainly look attractive all laid out together.  I’m ambivalent.   1 pound 9 ounces, 55 pieces for $13.99.

And one last thing for all of you super procrastinators out there that still haven’t gotten your Christmas shopping done.  Costco.com has a list of items that you can order through 9 pm on December 21st that they can still get delivered by December 24th.  They’re trying to help you out by doing all of the hard work, all you have to do is browse through the items and make a few clicks.  Well, you’ll have to pay the procrastinator’s tax of express shipping too.

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 easy sugar cookie recipes // 2015.04.19 at 4:06 am

Now I am going away to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming over again to read other news.

2. 2 payam // 2009.11.30 at 6:30 am

Hi all
    Im from London and we’ve only got around 2 Costco stores near us. But I wanted to know how long a Costco muffin would last if you don’t freeze them, as I want to sell them to fund a charity expedition Im participating in.
    does any one know how long they would last?
    P

• 3 Kimberly // 2009.11.30 at 7:52 am

I’ve found that they last for a few days, like 5, on the counter top quite well. We tried putting some in the fridge just recently and that made them a little too moist and gummy, I thought, so I wouldn’t suggest that. How far ahead were you going to try to buy them?

3. 4 jenn // 2009.05.09 at 5:50 pm

anyone have the box recipe for the christmas shortbread cookies from costco….i through out the box awhile ago not realizing i still had a bag of the mix…but now have nor recipe to go with it? i think it was ghirardelli….but their website has no info on this product?i also tried krusteaz site…but again no luck….i want to make them for mother’s day brunch?!

4. 5 Kimberly // 2008.12.23 at 8:32 am

Hey Christen, thanks for the info about the muffins. I wouldn’t have even thought of getting them to make my own muffin variety pack. But I’m glad to hear that they’ll do that. Although, it may not be as great for my waistline.

I’d love to know what’s the new thing in the bakery, since it really is one of my favorite areas of the store. They make such delicious treats! So, what are some of the things that we can look forward to at the beginning of 2009, aside from the oreo cheesecake?

5. 6 Kimberly // 2008.12.22 at 1:16 pm

Do you remember who made them? Were they a Ghirardelli mix? Or Krusteaz? I can sort of remember seeing those but didn’t buy them and can’t remember who made them. But I was thinking you could go look on the website and get some help that way.

Good luck!

6. 7 Dayle // 2008.12.22 at 1:13 pm

I’ve trown out the box with the recipe on it to cookies I boight last year at Costco. Still have the ingredients and want to make them. Anyone remember the white drop cookies sort of taste like shortbread with a chocolate drop in the center of each. What do I add to the dry mix? They aren’t selling them this year, I looked!

7. 8 Christen // 2008.12.21 at 2:45 pm

My husband is the manager in the bakery at the Delaware Costco. They have made all the peppermint chocolate bark they have, so once it sells out, it’s gone. That goes for all the stores. They all have they same food production schedule. Same goes for the chocolate cream pies, and pumpkin cheesecake. They brought them back just for the holidays. In January, they are going to introduce some new products, like oreo cheesecake. If you are interested I can keep you updated. He gets his production schedule 2 months in advance. We get to know all the good stuff that’s coming before everyone else:) You can have them make you your own case of muffins. They make them everyday. Just ask for someone, and let them know. They will make you a pack right on the spot. My husband does that all day. They rather sell them like that then none at all. They throw out so much stuff, because they are all about freshness. Nothing sits on their shelves more than 2 days. The roasting chickens only sit out an 1 1/2 hours, then they throw it out. Seems crazy, but i guess that’s why they are the best. Don’t be shy to ask for what you want. People do it all the time.

8. 9 Kimberly // 2008.12.21 at 1:35 pm

I think I have seen that and wondered if it was any good. I wish they would demo that!

9. 10 Robyn // 2008.12.21 at 1:19 pm

does your costco have the pepperment choc bark??? everyone around here is gping crazy over it………….

10. 11 Dave // 2008.12.21 at 1:07 am

I personally thought the jelly rolls were the worst thing in the box. I much preferred the chocolate covered cream-puffs, and then the second favorite was the little chocolate/cream layered squares but I have no idea what they were called. I think it is the Black and White Feathered Slice?

11. 12 Madge // 2008.12.20 at 9:34 pm

Love the muffins .. our faves are the chocolate, the plain blueberry, and a new one we tried earlier in the month. It’s a caramel pecan, with chocolate chunks mixed in. YUM. They do freeze well .. it’s ture. But, I have a family of 5, including TWO teenage boys. Muffins don’t last long around here.

12. 13 Mina // 2008.12.20 at 11:22 am

I’m a single gal, and unfortunately I have a habit of buying Costco muffins. They do indeed freeze well, and my favorite might be the cinnamon struesel muffins. They are delicious. Fortunately, Costco sells a gym membership and gym equipment that helps its patrons work off all the calories they gain from eating yummy coscto food.