Furniture Season at Costco

January 14th, 2009 · 24 Comments

You may have noticed that once they moved out all of the holiday items, in came the furniture.  There is a small but varied selection of furniture available at the local warehouses, and even more online, for everything from sofas and chairs to bedroom sets, sideboards and dining room furniture, to lamps and mattresses.  I don’t even have kids but can appreciate some of the cute bedroom sets that they have for children, like the race car bed and gas pump chest of drawers that are available right now.  I’m sure you’ve either been tempted or actually bought something furniture or home accessory-wise at Costco.  And there’s nothing wrong with that: you trust Costco to have quality furnishings for a better price than you could find at a more traditional furniture store.

I read an interview with the assistant general manager for Costco Home (a separate store with only 4 locations currently) that really drove that message home.  I was also more than a little pleased to hear that someone really is looking out for quality elements, as well as value, when buying the furniture for Costco.  There are also some interesting things in the article about the trends and demographic influences, and how they offer value to customers that are buying furniture at Costco.  While the mark up at Costco Home stores is higher than the mandate of no more than 14% at regular Costco stores, it is still a value.  Actually, they say that they must provide a minimum of a 20% savings over regular furniture stores, so that could be a pretty significant savings on something like a $3,000 couch.  And what’s even better, those of us that can only shop at the regular Costco warehouses or Costco.com for furniture and home accessories, benefit from the work that the Costco Home buyers are doing everyday to secure quality items.  Apparently, some of what they offer at Costco Home does trickle over to the select items that the average Costco warehouse will sell during their two furniture seasons: one going on now for a couple of months and then another after the outdoor stuff is packed up in July or August.

Generally, it amazes me that the Costco warehouses sell so many large and heavy items, since you know everyone will have to take it home themselves.  Of course, the Costco Home stores do offer delivery but that doesn’t help those of us that shop at the warehouses because we still have to lug it home ourselves. However, that hasn’t stopped us from buying the best bookcases in the world (which were heavy like you wouldn’t believe) and considering purchasing things like sofas, sideboards, and chairs.  In truth, all we have bought so far in the way of furniture, are the bookcases but we do have our eye on a sectional right now.  If we can just figure out how to work it into our room before it’s gone we might buy it.

Sorry, just the dimensions...

Sorry, just the dimensions...

The really amazing part is that this couch is huge, nicely built, and comfortable with an incredible price of just $799.99!  And I saw a really cute set of chairs and a little side table that would be great in our bedroom for just $294.99 last week.  There’s another sectional that would be perfect for someone with a small house or apartment for just $599.99.  They also had a couch and love seat, sold separately, that you could get for around $850 (sorry, can’t remember the exact pricing).  I did see the new version of the best bookcases in the world for a slightly higher price of $224.99.  I’ll be honest, we don’t think they look quite as nice but they are still very nicely built and a very big bookcase for a steal (even for $25 more).  They also had the most adorable race car bed and gas pump chest of drawers set (I wish I could remember how much it was because I know it was much lower than the $1,300 they want for it at Costco.com).

In any case, Costco definitely has some good deals on furniture and home accessories for just about any taste or style.  If you keep walking right by the furniture aisles, you really should just take a few minutes to walk through them, sit on a couple of chairs or a couch or two.  Or, you could just dip your foot into buying this kind of thing from Costco by picking up one of the many sets of lamps (sold in sets of 2 or 3) to brighten up a room.

Tags: Decorating · Household Items · In the News Share

1. 1 megan // 2014.10.18 at 4:44 pm

Does anyone the average shippimg cost at costco.com for couches.. im looking at one for $1100 but any of your experiences would be helpful with est. Shipping cost

2. 2 Michael // 2012.06.19 at 5:35 pm

Anyone know when they will bring back the sofa’s?

3. 3 Robin from Orlando // 2012.04.04 at 5:31 am

I knew the .97 was a markdown, but didn’t know about the .00

I’ve seen some summer seasonal items go on sale, but it amazes me how all the Christmas merchandise just disappears over night.

• 4 Kimberly // 2012.04.04 at 5:48 am

@Robin – but don’t worry because it will be back in September. LOL

4. 5 Chris // 2012.04.02 at 1:33 pm

response to 7/30/2011…Hunter Loft Bed. Missed out on it at store and could not find anywhere for a better price.

5. 6 Vee // 2011.07.30 at 1:41 am

Hello, does anyone know the brand name of the loft bed with study desk that costco listed for around $500-$600?

6. 7 Rachel Mejia // 2011.04.07 at 2:18 pm

I love shopping at costco. I overheard a costco associate speaking with another customer and I thought it was an interesting tidbit:

Prices that end in .97 means that it’s an item that they are trying to clear out of all the costco warehouses. Consequently, this means that the price has been reduced.

The big reduction comes, however, when you see prices that end in .00. This means that only this particular warehouse is getting rid of the item and usually it indicates a deep discount.

Seasonal items, if they are not all purchased, will always go down in price including furniture!

I purchased a bar + stools for 399.00 and it was originally 1,399 when it was first in-store.

7. 8 marianne // 2011.03.05 at 6:45 pm

in the summer of 2009, costco had a 10 piece dining room set on sale , and I think it statred with an a??? I would like to know tha brand name of this furniture, they had this on line for a few weeks

8. 9 Mark // 2010.09.09 at 4:21 pm

Does any one know the brand name of the 8 seat, bar height dinette set cost co was selling recently until i decided to buy it. I literally went home on a Fri night and returned the next morning with a truck and they were gone, they were about 900 / 950 for the set

9. 10 Christina // 2010.05.13 at 2:38 pm

I’m thinking of buying the Camden bedroom set on-line. Has anyone bought any bedroom sets from Costco.com and if so, what did you think? Thanks in advance.

10. 11 Ngoc // 2010.04.28 at 5:36 pm

The 9 drawer chest that Jeff is talking about is called, “Tic Tac Toe” by Bassett Mirror Company. Costco featured it in their Costco Connection issue (http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200907/?pg=54#pg54).

It’s was a great steal! I should have gotten it when I had the chance. Now I’m going to have to pay double. Boo!

11. 12 Brie // 2010.03.31 at 1:50 am

Yes where can we find the couch!??? Please let me know too!

12. 13 Miki // 2010.02.26 at 5:33 pm

How can I find the $799.00 sectional couch if its no longer in the stores? I AM DESPERATE FOR IT!

13. 14 Linda small // 2010.02.12 at 4:50 pm

am looking for the pub dinett set that costco had in january of this year at the norfolk store. i would like the manufacture s name , and if there is a possibility of getting more of them as i am interested in buying a set. the price was 899.00 had 6 tall chairs as the table is tall , pub style thank you l small

14. 15 Ranjit // 2009.12.31 at 12:09 am

I just bought a sofa from Costco ,we are extremely happy with it so far.Price was aslo fair
    compared to other stores.I am looking for bedroom sets as we talk please let me know if there are any good deals.

15. 16 nick // 2009.09.05 at 9:08 am

Has anyone bought the san marino fabric collection for living room. i have seen it on costco website and like it a lot but am not sure how the fabric feels and looks like. if anybody has any idea about the fabric then please let me know,thanks.

16. 17 Suzy // 2009.07.12 at 9:03 pm

measured 35 X 18

17. 18 Suzy // 2009.07.12 at 9:01 pm

Item # on the chest is 312741 so call and see if they’ll give you the info. I’m trying to get one too.

18. 19 Kimberly // 2009.01.26 at 8:45 am

Judy, I’m afraid that if the vendor hasn’t been there by now they are probably not going to be in. The pricing on the furniture always seems better in the store because they don’t have to include shipping. And while shipping costs aren’t so much on small things, it is a little more pricey for something like a couch. 🙂

19. 20 Kimberly // 2009.01.26 at 8:42 am

Jeff, that’s funny that you mentioned that because we liked that same little chest but it was gone by the next weekend. We often take pictures of the stuff that we like and the boxes, so that we can check the measurements but we didn’t get on of that item & neither of us can remember the manufacturer or anything.

20. 21 Jeff // 2009.01.25 at 3:06 pm

I was in Costco a few weeks ago and they had a chest of drawers that had 9 drawers on it. Each one of these drawers was a different color with a metallic red, yellow, and green color painted on them. Unfortuneately costco no longer has it. Does anyone happen to know the manufacturer?

21. 22 Judy // 2009.01.25 at 10:20 am

Thanks for writing this! I’ve been wanting to get bedroom furniture for our youngest son and I remember Costco would bring in a vendor to sell children’s bedroom sets in January for the past 2 years. Unfortunately, I was told that the vendor wasn’t coming back this year (it was difficult for them to fill the orders they received last year. ) Have you heard anything about this? I think they were called My Room Furniture. I should probably just order online- but was hoping the vendor (I think pricing was a little better) would come back to Costco this month.

Judy

22. 23 This Week at Costco - January 11 2009 // 2009.01.17 at 10:42 am

[…] we also got a chance to sit on some potential new couches and chairs since they’ve got all the furniture on display.   And luckily, there was no cheese demo this week to lure me into getting another hunk of […]

23. 24 Chun // 2009.01.14 at 4:34 pm

I agree that Costco furniture is great and well priced compared to furniture stores. However, I have a feeling that the in-store furniture tends to be a better deal than on-line ones. The $200 bookcase is an example; it is not online at all. Another example is glider. I bought one (Shermag Chenille Sleigh) a few months ago online for $249. The glider looks nice in the picture but the padding material is not as nice when you see it in your home. Yesterday I saw a slightly different one in our warehouse, which is nicer and has a nob to lock in several positions. It is a Shermag and sold for $239. I bought one and plan to return the old one.